PDA

View Full Version : Coro Loop ...HOw LOng???

montsta56
7th March 2007, 18:52
How long does the Coro Loop normally take at a medium type pace???

bugjuice
7th March 2007, 18:56
I'd give up most of ya day.. depending on where you're comin from
Normally I prefer the east coast, can leave Kopu around 11 and get to coromandle by 1ish, then back to whitianga for lunch, then back to kopu, get there around 4.. then how ever long it takes you to get to/from Kopu
west coast sux.

idleidolidyll
7th March 2007, 19:00
How long does the Coro Loop normally take at a medium type pace???

it takes as long as the piece of string i'm holding......................................maybe 3 hours from kopu to kopu, depends on your stops

Waylander
7th March 2007, 19:04
From Papamoa figure 6 hours there and return. depending on speed and cop concentration ofcourse.

montsta56
7th March 2007, 19:13
From Papamoa figure 6 hours there and return. depending on speed and cop concentration ofcourse.

Cheers thanks for that , Do you prefer clockwise or anti clockwise???

BarBender
7th March 2007, 19:16
Clockwise.

bugjuice
7th March 2007, 19:20
east coast only :bleh:

Maha
7th March 2007, 19:31
it takes as long as the piece of string i'm holding

So that would be the measured distance between the beginning and the end???

slinky
7th March 2007, 19:36

Presuming the east coast is the one we did, and taking into account its the only way i have gone.
i second that!!

Waylander
7th March 2007, 20:42

What Buggy said. West coast has too many townships and heaps of traffic and bugger all places to pass.

beyond
7th March 2007, 21:25
Depends how fast your moderate pace is :)

When with a group you can figure on 10.30am to about 3.30pm cos of gas stops lunch etc.

On your own or with a couple of same speed buddies you can do it in 3 hours okay with one gas stop and a maggot pack tossed in to keep the worms quite for the day.

I prefer doing the East coast anticlockwise and then going back the same way. You get to all the good bits twice but that makes for a longer ride. The West coast is quite good but a lot of 50kmh and 70kmh areas once you get about halfway to Thames from Coromandel.

All said and done, however you go about it, it is an awesome ride for the day. :)

Jeff Sichoe
7th March 2007, 22:18
What the hell is a maggot pack??

Gremlin
8th March 2007, 00:27
Doing east and west coasts, Kopu to Kopu, non-stop, I did it in just under 2 hours and I certainly don't consider myself fast.

Its 190km iirc :innocent:

iwilde
8th March 2007, 01:43
What the hell is a maggot pack??

Big Ben or Irvines pie thats luke warm and been sitting in the pie warmer for 1 week with less moisture than nuns pussy. But when hungry and in a hurry, who cares!

bugjuice
8th March 2007, 07:19
You get to all the good bits twice but that makes for a longer ride. The West coast is quite good but a lot of 50kmh and 70kmh areas once you get about halfway to Thames from Coromandel.
it's not actually that much longer. Last year, i met some Kbers at Kopu semi accidental. They took off up the west coast, and I and one other (can't remember who now..) shot over the west coast, and we met in Coromandle. They had been sat for only a couple of minutes after parking up, before I turned up.. The west coast has so many limits that it slows you down. So the east coast is way longer, but 80%+ is all at '100kph'

idleidolidyll
8th March 2007, 07:32
What Buggy said. West coast has too many townships and heaps of traffic and bugger all places to pass.

that all just adds to the excitement.
there are some great hills to cross and the relaxing cruise through those pretty towns is OK too.
I pretty much always do the loop and it doesn't matter in which direction.

Gotta watch out for extra wides though (boats, POME's in campervans, 4x4's etc), those are probably the most dangerous and you'll find them on your side of the road all too often

Forest
8th March 2007, 11:19

Anti-clockwise if you're starting in the afternoon.

If you go clockwise in the afternoon, the sun will set early behind the ranges while you're over on the east coast.

idleidolidyll
8th March 2007, 12:15
Anti-clockwise if you're starting in the afternoon.

If you go clockwise in the afternoon, the sun will set early behind the ranges while you're over on the east coast.

I screw to the left too, that just seems more natural to me

jimbo
8th March 2007, 21:00

second that:rockon:

MaxB
8th March 2007, 23:07
From memory the full loop is about 260kms give or take. 3-4 hours should be plenty of time to take in the sights.

Hustling a big bike through the twisties can get a bit tiring if you try to do it in one hit especially in hot weather. There's heaps of places to stuff your face on the way round so like most people I make a day of it.

The only problem is how close to Auckland it is. That means crowds, cages and cops. I avoid SH25 on Friday and Sunday nights because of Pauanui traffic and also holiday weekends.

I was there last weekend at Port Charles/Sandy Bay in a 4wd cage and there was a cop in a ute even up there.

Ride Safe

Jimmy B
9th March 2007, 07:27
From memory the full loop is about 260kms give or take. 3-4 hours should be plenty of time to take in the sights.

Hustling a big bike through the twisties can get a bit tiring if you try to do it in one hit especially in hot weather. There's heaps of places to stuff your face on the way round so like most people I make a day of it.

The only problem is how close to Auckland it is. That means crowds, cages and cops. I avoid SH25 on Friday and Sunday nights because of Pauanui traffic and also holiday weekends.

I was there last weekend at Port Charles/Sandy Bay in a 4wd cage and there was a cop in a ute even up there.

Ride Safe

What he said, its around 470km from door to door for me and although I've only done it once (the whole loop with Blackbird) it really is a great ride, in fact one of the best. I did it midweek which involved taking a day off, I think I will stick to this midweek strategy because its worth it.