PDA

View Full Version : It's a runner!

riffer
7th March 2007, 20:19
Woo hoo!

The replacement carbs arrived today, thanks to Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers.

Guys and gals - if you want to get parts for your bike in a hurry at a reasonable cost go to them. Fantastic service and great communication. Keith is a really nice guy to deal with and went the extra mile to make sure that I had my carbs in double-quick time.

I've gotten a set of Mikuni BDST36's from the RF900 Manta Ray special, which is the highest powered RF900 of them all. So its got the big jets and stuff. AUD$350 and less than 30,000 kms on them. AUD$55 shipping. Bought on Friday, arrived Wednesday morning. They look new...

Taking the old carbs off was a piece of piss. The only tricky thing was getting the new ones on, which was solved by placing an old towel over the carb mouths, then a block of wood over that, then gently using the rubber mallet to get the carbs back into the rubbers. Worked a trick.

Oh - and also, it appears that the European spec carbs butterflies rotate opposite to the American spec ones - so when I first wired up the throttle cables the butterflies wouldn't turn properly - but easily solved.

So I got it back together, and turned the key on. It turned over - nothing for 20 seconds - and then roared into life!

And it runs GREAT!!!!!

Off-idle throttle doesn't have that hitch that it used to have, the idle is smoother, and its so much smoother through the rev range. Well, up to about 9,000 rpm that is - its raining in Upper Hutt tonight and on my short test ride it kept spinning up the tyres once it hit 9,000 so I couldn't go any higher revs.

But I'm on the road again!

I am SOOOOO looking forward to riding to work again tomorrow - I don't care that it might be raining.

And the whole job only took just over an hour.

I'll clean the gargre up in the weekend.

yippeeeeeeee.............

Madness
7th March 2007, 20:24
Well done dude. The butterflies must be in reverse due to them in the north being upside down.

Wasp
7th March 2007, 20:25
yup the vic wreckers are great guys :yes:

Skunk
7th March 2007, 20:44
What took you so long? In that time I've blown up a Honda and fixed an RDlc.

Good to hear it's going again Riffer. :yes:

riffer
7th March 2007, 21:45
Money. Dammit.

Despite the fact that I work for a prestigious advertising agency I seem to be perpetually broke.

Deviant Esq
8th March 2007, 01:04
Sounds like something I'm familiar with - being perpetually broke, that is. :( Only I don't work for anyone prestigious, so I have more of an excuse! :bleh:
Glad it's all sorted after such a long time off the road, good to hear. Bring on some dry weather! Careful though, sounds as though you might end up having to mono everywhere... :whistle:

Colapop
8th March 2007, 06:18
Money. Dammit.
Despite the fact that I work for a prestigious advertising agency I seem to be perpetually broke.
Me too - something to do with having 10,000 kids (or a couple that suck the life out of your wallet!!)

Good shit you're back on the road boyo!

Soon... soon... I'll be back...

Nasty
8th March 2007, 06:36
Good going .. that took a while .. but its not raining today - so you should have an awesome ride in :)

James Deuce
8th March 2007, 06:39
Well that's good news then.

Pwalo
8th March 2007, 06:43
Well done. Trust you enjoyed the commute. No wheelies between the queues now.

Drum
8th March 2007, 07:40
Good news there Riffer. Well done.

Public transport sucks eh!

Fatjim
8th March 2007, 07:50
didn;t see you at the th Melling lights this morning bro. Had the duc all gassed and warm for you too.

Toaster
8th March 2007, 09:44
nice one. any pics?

James Deuce
8th March 2007, 10:39
Oi, riffer, where's our update, or did you forget to go to work this morning? Turn right instead of left did we?

riffer
8th March 2007, 11:12
Too damn busy working.

Works perfectly. Nice 6 inch high wheelie down Melrose St this morning.

Idling fine, purrs like a kitten. Seems to be less lean off the throttle - more buttery midrange and the 5,000 roughness has smoothed out a lot nicer.

Pickup between 90 - 150 is noticeably better - I will have to watch the overtaking for a bit. Top end doesn't feel a lot different, but I've only gone up from 107.5s to 112.5s in the mains so wouldn't expect much different without advancing the timing.

One very happy riffer today though. :yes:

Macktheknife
8th March 2007, 11:58
Well done mate, sounds good.

F5 Dave
8th March 2007, 17:01
Glad to hear Si. I'm about to rip into mine soon, maybe even tonight. My garage has some wonderful new lights.

Have some plans to make some inserts for the worn tubes & then will look at milling some plates to recon the plastic guides. Will let you know how it goes.

Would be interesting to see if the LHS guides in the new carbs show any wear, you could replace then with the RHS out of the old ones. Or you might just leave it & enjoy the bike, worry about it then.

emaN
8th March 2007, 17:18
sounds wikkid Si! get it up to a taupo trackday sometime!!

kiwifruit
8th March 2007, 17:43
yup the vic wreckers are great guys :yes:

they sure are, highly recommended :rockon:

F5 Dave
9th March 2007, 08:39
Well I pulled the guides out last night & actually they aren't too bad, the worst one which I epoxied is holding up fine. It was just that the tubes I used were all 2nd hand & munted.

Off to see a man with a lathe & see if he can make up some brass inserts so I can just glue that into the emulsion tubes.

F5 Dave
13th March 2007, 12:54
ok sorry for the delay. Well here we are;

on the left you can see my delectable computer operator hands (tough calluses from dirt riding & cut knuckles from spannering obscured), on my thumb the guilty smudges of a P&Save chocolate cake slice.