PDA

View Full Version : Speeding on bike “Was done by potential buyer”

Bob
17th August 2004, 00:11
A biker who would not tell police who was riding his motorcycle after it had been spotted speeding has been fined and points added to his licence.

Lincoln magistrates were told a Suzuki was seen by police carrying out local speed checks. The bike was recorded in an urban area at 75mph. The rider was identified as the defendant Paul Matthew Hopkins. He admitted it was his bike. He said someone else was riding it and that three other people had ridden it that day but he wouldn't tell police who they were

Hopkins admitted failing to supply details of the rider and permitting the use of the bike without insurance on March 7. The magistrates put six points on his licence, fined him £350 and ordered costs of £55.

Moral: if you are allowing your bike to be taken out for a test ride, make sure you have all their details.

Blakamin
17th August 2004, 09:07
My brother once bought a bike off a cop.
my brother has no licence but the cop let him test ride it and watched him ride it away when he paid for it.

scumdog
17th August 2004, 09:28
my brother has no licence but the cop let him test ride it and watched him ride it away when he paid for it.

Lucky brother!! :ride:

marty
17th August 2004, 10:24
i don't get it.

Blakamin
17th August 2004, 12:08
Considering the cops got this guy for not even riding his bike i thought it was ironic

well, the cop didnt book him.
even after pulling a wheelie when he took off.
spose all he wanted was the money.
was a cb400/4 super sport

Mongoose
17th August 2004, 12:32
Considering the cops got this guy for not even riding his bike i thought it was ironic

well, the cop didnt book him.
even after pulling a wheelie when he took off.
spose all he wanted was the money.
was a cb400/4 super sport

Because, even in little old NZ, as the registered owner of a vehicle the onus is on you to supply details of who was driving/riding it at any given moment. If you can't/dont want to, there is a fine in the region og $1500 waiting for you.

marty
17th August 2004, 14:58
Because, even in little old NZ, as the registered owner of a vehicle the onus is on you to supply details of who was driving/riding it at any given moment. If you can't/dont want to, there is a fine in the region og $1500 waiting for you.
it's 10 grand now goose

scumdog
17th August 2004, 15:05
it's 10 grand now goose

I think 'goose was talking about the actual fines doled out to owners of cars involved in skids but wouldn't say who was driving, (long story)happened down here a wee while back, would have loved to seen the look on their faces "WTF.., $1,500 for saying NOTHING???" :pinch:

Mongoose
17th August 2004, 15:11
I think 'goose was talking about the actual fines doled out to owners of cars involved in skids but wouldn't say who was driving, (long story)happened down here a wee while back, would have loved to seen the look on their faces "WTF.., $1,500 for saying NOTHING???" :pinch:

Yes, twas the actual cost that I refered to, not the potential, lets face it, you would have to be a pretty bad boy for the Max. to be reached.
And we all know that there are few Judges prepared to give the Max. penalty on anything.

loosebruce
17th August 2004, 17:49
A biker who would not tell police who was riding his motorcycle after it had been spotted speeding has been fined and points added to his licence.

Lincoln magistrates were told a Suzuki was seen by police carrying out local speed checks. The bike was recorded in an urban area at 75mph. The rider was identified as the defendant Paul Matthew Hopkins. He admitted it was his bike. He said someone else was riding it and that three other people had ridden it that day but he wouldn't tell police who they were

Hopkins admitted failing to supply details of the rider and permitting the use of the bike without insurance on March 7. The magistrates put six points on his licence, fined him £350 and ordered costs of £55.

Moral: if you are allowing your bike to be taken out for a test ride, make sure you have all their details.

Unless it was himself doing the speeding and he figured he could get off by saying it was someone else who was test riding the bike.
Not being familar with the law over there bob, would he of been better off by admitting it was him or by keeping his mouth shut?

Bob
17th August 2004, 20:08
Unless it was himself doing the speeding and he figured he could get off by saying it was someone else who was test riding the bike.
Not being familar with the law over there Bob, would he of been better off by admitting it was him or by keeping his mouth shut?

I think he was trying to use a recently closed loophole - the onus used to be on the authorities to prove it was you driving/riding. You had to sign a form saying it was you (Moko old mate, if you're reading this, you knew about the letter from the solicitor that got you out of this, so can you provide more details?) - so "No sign, no evidence".

So they've done him from another direction.

loosebruce
17th August 2004, 22:23
I think he was trying to use a recently closed loophole - the onus used to be on the authorities to prove it was you driving/riding. You had to sign a form saying it was you (Moko old mate, if you're reading this, you knew about the letter from the solicitor that got you out of this, so can you provide more details?) - so "No sign, no evidence".

That sucks! Heard of one funny story about a guy getting nicked by camera, claimed it wasn't him on the bike at the time and someone else was riding it, he had a mates set of leathers there tryed saying that these were his leathers etc, was all goign quite well until the officer that was questioning him pulled out a previous photo of him, same bike, same leathers, helmet, that officer had done him last time opppps :doh:

scumdog
17th August 2004, 22:35
To the thickos on this site, if that law wasn't there everybody would be saying "duh, I lent my bike to a guy wot sed he wos finking ov buying it an' even though I let him take me $13,550 bike for a spin I never bovvered to aks his name so you can't do nuffink eh?"
'course some wouldn't even be that smart but you get my drift. :wacko:

FROSTY
17th August 2004, 23:34
Actually -Totally true story here.
When I destroyed my shoulder I decided to sell my road bike.
A guy came over in a flash BMW -took it for a long ride
I got a ticket.-speeding and careless use. -in huntly.
I went to court -doctors cert in hand -fronted the cop and he told his prosecution officer it wasn't me--so I got let off.

scumdog
17th August 2004, 23:43
Actually -Totally true story here.
When I destroyed my shoulder I decided to sell my road bike.
A guy came over in a flash BMW -took it for a long ride
I got a ticket.-speeding and careless use. -in huntly.
I went to court -doctors cert in hand -fronted the cop and he told his prosecution officer it wasn't me--so I got let off.

Lucky (1) you had the certificate.
and (2) the cop knew it wasn't you

You see how easily you can be dropped in the poo by somebody who 'borrowed' your bike, you'd be a mug to let somebody ride off on your scoot without getting some info (licence no. at least) from them.

moko
18th August 2004, 02:17
You had to sign a form saying it was you (Moko old mate, if you're reading this, you knew about the letter from the solicitor that got you out of this, so can you provide more details?) - so "No sign, no evidence".

Didn`t get that far Bob as it was one of my frequent near-misses this year but they have closed that loop-hole now.A workmate of mine got flashed and said his wife was driving,she`s got a licence but rarely drives so after an apparently "interesting" domestic conversation she copped the points.Bloke still drives like an idiot,some people never learn.My brother`s boss copped the points when he got done for the same reason in the works van,bosses wife used to do the driving so not a big deal to him either.

Blakamin
18th August 2004, 08:47
There was a guy in melbourne that made the front page of the herald-sun 10 years back. he saw the the camera, put his feet over the number plate and stuck his finger up at the camera while doin about 80 in a 60 zone. they had no way of identifying him. :finger: