PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a bike for Mrs Oakie

Oakie
8th March 2007, 20:26
Hi ladies
Mrs Oakie is seriously considering swapping the pillion seat on my bike for a bike of her own. I've taken her down to a local shop but she didn't really find anything suitable there so I thought I'd ask for some bike suggestions here. The relevant data:

>She has her full licence but hasn't ridden for about 25 years so her first bike back needs to be an easy one to ride and one that will build her confidence. Doesn't have to be under 250cc though.

>Vertically challenged at 5 foot nothing (152cm) so a fairly low seat height would be good.

>Bike needs to be up to open road riding but doesn't have to be a rocket ship. If it'll cruise at 100km to 110Km comfortably and has enough guts to pass the occasional slow vehicle that'll do the trick. (She won't have to keep up with me ... I'll follow her at whatever speed she's comfortable at)

>Bike won't need to carry luggage as when we go touring that'll just go on my bike. For this reason a decent 250 would probably be OK.

>Probably an upright 'tourer' riding style would be prefered to a leant forward 'sports' style.

>Budget is probably up to $5k

There it is ladies. Any suggestions you can make be appreciated. (Oh yeah, it's not important but she used to ride a CG125 and from time to time, my Z400)

Motu
8th March 2007, 20:38
My wife wants and Enfield....meets all of your requirements.Dunno if your wife could handle one of those,but mine can.

James Deuce
8th March 2007, 20:39
Kawasaki ER5 or Suzuki GS500E.

Trudes
8th March 2007, 20:43
Has she had a look at a Bandit? They're quite low to ground for us shortys and is an easy riding position.

KLOWN
8th March 2007, 20:54
I saw a sv650 today parked next to my bike. Looked the biz and it was lower and smaller then mine.

SpinFx
8th March 2007, 21:01
My partner just got a Yamaha xv250T Virago as her first bike, she's short too so no worries there, they are around the 5k mark and hold there value well, A nice cruiser bike ( even has forward controls ). Heaps of members on here with them too, I do the same, follow her around at her speed........... it beats looking behind you all the time to see if shes ok.

crashe
8th March 2007, 23:14
VIRAGO:love:

Second hand 250 Virago you can buy for around $4000
You can still buy the 750 Virago.......
and also the 1100 Virago.

All ideal for the shorter person.........
The 1100 Virago is a lot heavier to shift thou....

scumdog
8th March 2007, 23:17
My 1200 Harley, twice the price, half the grunt and four times the reliability.:yes:

magicfairy
9th March 2007, 07:28
Hi ladies

>She has her full licence but hasn't ridden for about 25 years so her first bike back needs to be an easy one to ride and one that will build her confidence. Doesn't have to be under 250cc though.

>Vertically challenged at 5 foot nothing (152cm) so a fairly low seat height would be good.

>Bike needs to be up to open road riding but doesn't have to be a rocket ship. If it'll cruise at 100km to 110Km comfortably and has enough guts to pass the occasional slow vehicle that'll do the trick. (She won't have to keep up with me ... I'll follow her at whatever speed she's comfortable at)

>Bike won't need to carry luggage as when we go touring that'll just go on my bike. For this reason a decent 250 would probably be OK.

>Probably an upright 'tourer' riding style would be prefered to a leant forward 'sports' style.

>Budget is probably up to $5k

That was me 18 months ago, full license, hadn't ridden anything but scooters for 20 years. 5ft nothing, wanting a real bike.
Got a Suzuki Savage, now called S40. 650cc single, cruiser. Very light and nimble for a cruiser, great fuel miser and probably one of the lowest and narrowist bikes around. One of the very few I could flat foot. Around $7500 brand new, I did around 14000k on mine till I upgraded to the 800cc S50.
Really reliable, never missed a beat. Belt drive so pretty good clearance.
No trip meter, and backfired a bit as it is tuned lean. But I reckon you should look at one, it really helped me with my confidence, being so easy to manage and ride.

Great web site http://www.suzukisavage.com

Jimmy B
9th March 2007, 07:36
Kawasaki ER5 or Suzuki GS500E.

I like Jim2's suggestion, check this out:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=90649957&key=35968

Oakie
9th March 2007, 07:58
I quite like both those bikes myself. In fact if I was in the market for a replacement for mine I would be looking at those 2 models. Perhaps we could by one and share? Oh no, hang on. Bad idea.

Jimmy B
9th March 2007, 08:04
I quite like both those bikes myself. In fact if I was in the market for a replacement for mine I would be looking at those 2 models. Perhaps we could by one and share? Oh no, hang on. Bad idea.

Tis easy Oakie, get the ER5 and decide who gets to ride what by way of simple competition, I suggest the person that can stuff the most marshmellows into their mouth in 1 minute gets their choice :sick:

MSTRS
9th March 2007, 08:13
Kawasaki Eliminator is very low too.
Or BMW F650GS
Remember, there are a lot of 'marginal' bikes which are capable of being lowered in the suspension or the seat (or both) - that ability widens the range of possibles

Pwalo
9th March 2007, 08:38
I saw a sv650 today parked next to my bike. Looked the biz and it was lower and smaller then mine.

I think you'd struggle on the SV if you're 5'0". Seat heights 800mm. You could get lowering links, but the cruiser option might be better.

Edbear
9th March 2007, 08:50
My 1200 Harley, twice the price, half the grunt and four times the reliability.:yes:

Ahhh! Did you notice he said about $5k? Heck, I'd happily offer you $5k for the Sporty..!:yes:

Trudes
9th March 2007, 09:05
I think you'd struggle on the SV if you're 5'0". Seat heights 800mm. You could get lowering links, but the cruiser option might be better.

Yep the new ones are too high for me and I'm 5'3, but yep, not sure what the deal with having them lowered is.

Oakie
9th March 2007, 11:43
Perhaps as an alternative to lowering a bike, I could get Mrs Oakie 'heightened'.

Hey thanks MSTRS. I have thought about an Eliminator and there is one on sale in Ch somewhere.

Pwalo
9th March 2007, 12:02
Yep the new ones are too high for me and I'm 5'3, but yep, not sure what the deal with having them lowered is.

Yep I'm a lofty 5'6 and I can just get both feet down. I'm always glad to find people shorter than me!

To lower the back end of the SV you need slightly longer dog bones. Then you should probably drop the forks a bit to keep the bike's attitude as standard. I think you'd still be struggling.

Pwalo
9th March 2007, 12:03
Perhaps as an alternative to lowering a bike, I could get Mrs Oakie 'heightened'.

Now that's using your iniative. Might be a bit easier to go with option 1.

SDU
9th March 2007, 12:23

have thought of that for myself but then it'll be no riding for at least a year- couldn't handle that.
Being a hobbit too I've had the same problem when looking at bikes. Lowering & boots with a bit more of a heel helps.
And yeah SV650's are tall. What about a Monster 400/600? or a V11:innocent:
A gs400e might get her going again. From memory I think I can get a set of toes on the ground on one.
http://www.autobase.co.nz/vehicledetails.asp?vehicle_id=323662

Oakie
9th March 2007, 12:59
A gs400e might get her going again. From memory I think I can get a set of toes on the ground on one.
http://www.autobase.co.nz/vehicledetails.asp?vehicle_id=323662

Would you believe I was looking at that very bike through their shop window just last night. Looks nice and low but it is getting on a bit. Still ... might go and sit her on it on Sunday just to see what she thinks. (Isn't it great having a bike shop that's open on weekends and not just Saturday morning.

Switch
9th March 2007, 13:02
HYOSUNG GV-250

MotoGirl
9th March 2007, 13:33
Just buy the bike that turns her on, then lower it.
There are so many options for lowering bikes and / or making yourself taller.
I've only 5'3" and have ridden a VTR1000, GSX-R1000, and now an RSVR1000 - I've lowered all three of my bikes.
The VTR had a modified shock, the Gixxer had dogbones, and the RSVR has a lowered seat. All of these for less than $300.

My two cents worth anyway :shutup:

SixPackBack
9th March 2007, 13:47
Just buy the bike that turns her on, then lower it.
There are so many options for lowering bikes and / or making yourself taller.
I've only 5'3" :shutup:

Would like to hear those options:mellow:

Macktheknife
9th March 2007, 13:50
That was me 18 months ago, full license, hadn't ridden anything but scooters for 20 years. 5ft nothing, wanting a real bike.
Got a Suzuki Savage, now called S40. 650cc single, cruiser. Very light and nimble for a cruiser, great fuel miser and probably one of the lowest and narrowist bikes around. One of the very few I could flat foot. Around $7500 brand new, I did around 14000k on mine till I upgraded to the 800cc S50.
Really reliable, never missed a beat. Belt drive so pretty good clearance.
No trip meter, and backfired a bit as it is tuned lean. But I reckon you should look at one, it really helped me with my confidence, being so easy to manage and ride.

Great web site http://www.suzukisavage.com

I second this, great little bikes. Cheap too for what they are.

Maha
9th March 2007, 13:52

You need stretching??....Indy is only a pm away Big Boy...:yes: all you need is a pair of mirror shades....:cool:

MotoGirl
9th March 2007, 13:57
Whoops, I forgot to mention those options :doh:
They are:
- Build up the soles on your boots
- Lose weight / tone up your legs. This sounds crazy, but fat legs waste a lot of valuable leg length because you're going around the bike instead of straight down. After I lost 30kg, I could get truckloads more foot on the ground.

SixPackBack
9th March 2007, 13:57
You need stretching??....Indy is only a pm away Big Boy...:yes: all you need is a pair of mirror shades....:cool:

Indy hmmm....Madam curious anyday:love:

The Stranger
9th March 2007, 14:00
Whoops, I forgot to mention those options :doh:
They are:
- Build up the soles on your boots
- Lose weight / tone up your legs. This sounds crazy, but fat legs waste a lot of valuable leg length because you're going around the bike instead of straight down. After I lost 30kg, I could get truckloads more foot on the ground.

There you go Sixpack, loose some weight you fat bastard.

SixPackBack
9th March 2007, 14:05
There you go Sixpack, loose some weight you fat bastard.

Bugger off I'm a sexy bitch:rockon:

botb
9th March 2007, 18:20
Honda Magna 250 or larger if you want heaps of grunt for the odd passing manouver :scooter: bit of weight too feels nicely balanced on the road and seat height really low!!! 55811 plenty of foot on the ground when i stop as for my height 5' something :innocent:Oops didn't mean to include all of them lol first time attaching pics sorry but o well gives you an idea!

FREE2B
9th March 2007, 20:03
If your a bit on the short side and want to get your confidence up after some years off the LS 650 will do it for you. Ive had mine almost a year and now looking for something else but hey it really did the job. So easy to ride and itll get going when you need it to. Take em all for a test ride and see what really suits you.

Oakie
10th March 2007, 09:22
Honda Magna 250 or larger if you want heaps of grunt for the odd passing manouver :scooter: bit of weight too feels nicely balanced on the road and seat height really low!!!

Yeah. The dealer we were talking to last week suggested a Magna as a bike with a bit of grunt.

botb
10th March 2007, 20:29
Mine is a 250 and sits comfy on 100 110 handles well and has the extra weight to her so it doesn't blow around to much on the road ie: trucks etc.... loving riding it nice position and they are gaining in popularity so resell shouldn't be too hard!!

elle-f
10th March 2007, 21:51
I have seen magicfairy's and its awesome!

botb
11th March 2007, 11:11
I have seen magicfairy's and its awesome!

OK so how many cc's is that?:dodge:

Oakie
11th March 2007, 19:14
Having seen photos of all the bikes mentioned in this thread, Mrs Oakie has expressed interest in a Kawasaki Eliminator (250cc). Not a bad choice in my opinion but there will be a few other bikes looked at as well before a decision is made (in a few months).

botb
14th March 2007, 13:09
Awesome well there are plenty of options out there.... :rockon:

Macktheknife
14th March 2007, 15:17
Yeah. The dealer we were talking to last week suggested a Magna as a bike with a bit of grunt.

My wife has a 750 Magna and loves it, the V4 engine delivers great power and the stability of the bike is impressive. She will happily discuss her impressions of the bike if you are interested.

SDU
16th March 2007, 13:44
If your a bit on the short side and want to get your confidence up after some years off the LS 650 will do it for you. Ive had mine almost a year and now looking for something else but hey it really did the job. So easy to ride and itll get going when you need it to. Take em all for a test ride and see what really suits you.

And it is fantastic to park! I can vouch for it. Free2B let me have a ride on hers & it was fun, easy to ride & reach the ground (I'm not use to that) on. It had enough power on the motorway, but not scary for someone getting back into riding.
Hey Free2be are you going to be selling it soon?
Good luck Mrs Oakie

FREE2B
16th March 2007, 19:57
And it is fantastic to park! I can vouch for it. Free2B let me have a ride on hers & it was fun, easy to ride & reach the ground (I'm not use to that) on. It had enough power on the motorway, but not scary for someone getting back into riding.
Hey Free2be are you going to be selling it soon?
Good luck Mrs Oakie

I have been looking around actually was going to ask you guys what you knew bout the breva 750 Guzzi ?? Saw one in bike shop in town and it was a bit lower to sit on than yours. It was new tho so quite expensive but I see there are a couple of 2nd hand ones in Chch. Anyone else got any thougths on them too ??

Oakie
17th March 2007, 10:09
I have been looking around actually was going to ask you guys what you knew bout the breva 750 Guzzi ?? Anyone else got any thougths on them too ??

I saw one in a bike shop up here a few months back and Mrs Oakie thought it looked nice so I did a bit of research. I can't remember the specifics but the road test I found said the bike was OK but not spectacular. There was one major drawback and although I can't be sure now I think it was in the suspension ... possibly not greatly adjustable? Do a Google search and you'll probably find the same test report. It was enough to put me off the $15k price tag anyway.

James Deuce
17th March 2007, 10:28
Breva 750s are absolutely awesome. There's no drawback for all road riding that I can think of, except for other people's perception of Moto Guzzi in general.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44567

Dodgyiti
17th March 2007, 14:46

Hey thanks MSTRS. I have thought about an Eliminator and there is one on sale in Ch somewhere.

Mine wears boots with a 20mm platform at 5'3" for riding but 5' nothing does limit it quite a bit.

SDU
17th March 2007, 15:30
I have been looking around actually was going to ask you guys what you knew bout the breva 750 Guzzi ?? Saw one in bike shop in town and it was a bit lower to sit on than yours. It was new tho so quite expensive but I see there are a couple of 2nd hand ones in Chch. Anyone else got any thougths on them too ??

I saw a secondhand one last week at Scooter World, I didn't take notice of year /price sorry but it was a really tidy looking bike.
They are one of the better newer 750's that Guzzi has made imo. I reckon the 750 looks better than its big brother but thats m.o. The people I know who have ridden them a bit said they are fun, good for commuting as well as zipping around the hills on. I don't know anyone who has gone on big trips on one.
Go to a guzzi forum for info.
Worth a look if you like them to take a demo bike for a good ride-at least an hour if you can. I found it smaller than mine to sit on but not by heaps.
If you pop up this way to look at one or want more info on those here pm us.

Dodgyiti
17th March 2007, 15:35
The 750 Breva is a great small block with comfort, good brakes and pep, and has a wicked tank range. Proven engine, will go forever if you treat it right.

laRIKin
17th March 2007, 19:10
Here is the bike that SDU was talking about.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=91545329&key=1119461

I can not comment as I have not ridden one yet.
But I have not heard of any bad reviews about them.
If you want us to we can pop around and take some photos and do a test ride for you.:scooter:

Oakie
18th March 2007, 20:47
This is the bit I remembered from that report I mentioned:
"the ride is pretty good as long as the road surface is reasonably smooth, but if the going gets a bit bumpy and/or you up the pace, then the weaknesses of the budget non-adjustable suspension are exposed. The front is far too soft and under-damped while the rear is the exact opposite. Small bumps will really jar the backside without warning as the front wheel has ridden over them without a murmur. Not a real problem, as the well-padded saddle will soak up a lot of the impact. However if you catch a bump mid-corner with the bike well leant over, then the front gets real shakey and on one occasion almost tore the bars out of my hands."
The link to the full report is here: http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/motoguzzi_breva_750_2004.htm

James Deuce
18th March 2007, 21:29
I could write a massively negative report for every bike I've ridden too.

Oakie
19th March 2007, 19:41
I could write a massively negative report for every bike I've ridden too.

Having done nothing more than look at the bike I couldn't even begin to say if the report is fair or not. Nice looking bike though. No doubt about that.

doc
19th March 2007, 19:48
Ahhh! Did you notice he said about $5k? Heck, I'd happily offer you $5k for the Sporty..!:yes:
Take it quick Scumdog. Someone on KB'r will be able to offer you advice on the "Futures market" then you can thank me.

FREE2B
20th March 2007, 09:34
Thanx for the interesting feed back. Will have to take one for a spin I think. The suspension is the main thing I dont like bout my bike at the moment (out grown it I think) although its been a great starter, so want to get the next one right.

Oakie
28th March 2007, 13:29
We had a 'sitting on bikes' session on Saturday morning and the Eliminator and Virago (250s) were the only bikes that Mrs Oakie found to be really a good fit for her. (The Eliminator is the parallel twin version, not the current V twin)

I'd really appreciate comments from anyone who happens to have ridden both on how they compare. I think I'm leaning toward the Virago as there seems to be a lot around and I haven't actually heard anything bad about them...but it's not my choice to make.

Virago riders ... the reports I've read indicate Viragos are safe and easy to ride, can handle the open road speeds pretty well and they're reasonable on gas. Anyone disagree or want to add anything good or bad?
Anyone out there with an Eliminator can also feel free to contribute about that model.
Cheers!

magicfairy
28th March 2007, 14:22
We had a 'sitting on bikes' session on Saturday morning and the Eliminator and Virago (250s) were the only bikes that Mrs Oakie found to be really a good fit for her.
She would fit the Suzuki LS650.

Oakie
28th March 2007, 15:29
She would fit the Suzuki LS650.
We actually passed throught the local Suzuki dealer and she spotted one of those. Thought it looked 'cute' and sat on it but got off pretty fast when I told her it was a 650. Her confidence isn't up there enough for a 650 ... yet.

slowpoke
28th March 2007, 15:29
Seeing as how she's supposed to be in the kitchen have you thought about something from the Breville or Tiffany range? A kitchen chair has quite a low seat height and provided maintenance is up to scratch then suspension performance is usually of quite a high standard.
Some of those new fandangled microwaves have got plenty of grunt however nothing beats the fun factor of motorised rotary appliances.
Long trips to the rubbish bin and back can be tackled in relative comfort if the optional (at extra cost) baggage handling accessory is fitted. Fuel consumption is also optimal as fuel and refreshments can be supplied in situ........

crashe
28th March 2007, 15:39
We had a 'sitting on bikes' session on Saturday morning and the Eliminator and Virago (250s) were the only bikes that Mrs Oakie found to be really a good fit for her. (The Eliminator is the parallel twin version, not the current V twin)

I'd really appreciate comments from anyone who happens to have ridden both on how they compare. I think I'm leaning toward the Virago as there seems to be a lot around and I haven't actually heard anything bad about them...but it's not my choice to make.

Virago riders ... the reports I've read indicate Viragos are safe and easy to ride, can handle the open road speeds pretty well and they're reasonable on gas. Anyone disagree or want to add anything good or bad?
Anyone out there with an Eliminator can also feel free to contribute about that model.
Cheers!

Ask me any question you want to know about the VIRAGO :love:

I own one and have done so for the past 7 years.
Just taken my baby around the clock..... so she is now a new baby with 00400kms on her... :whistle:

Yep they are great to commute around the city on and also great out on the country roads.

They are very easy to handle...
Just maintain them and they will last you a very long time.
A very comfy seat and a ideal learner bike to learn on.
Tyres: If you get the right sort of tyres on them they will last you a long time.
Last set lasted me: Rear 37,000kms Front 43,000kms
Chain: lube it every 500kms and full clean and lube 3,000kms
Fuel: 9.5 litre tank - I do around 200kms before hitting reserve. Sometimes 220kms depending on where I have traveled.

I travelled around 1600kms in Dec from Ak to Lower Hutt back up via Rimataka's to Hastings to Taupo to Ak to Whangarparoa and back to Ak - cost approx $84 all up.

Parts are easy to get for the 250 - Mt Wellington, Aussie or Japan.
Most are in Mt Wellington or Aussie.

PS: The eliminator - chat to yungatart as she owns one.
She can tell you all about that bike

PSS: I have a full pic of my bike on my profile now. The only known black and white on in Auckland. There is one also a Black and white in Tauranga too.

magicfairy
28th March 2007, 16:02
We actually passed throught the local Suzuki dealer and she spotted one of those. Thought it looked 'cute' and sat on it but got off pretty fast when I told her it was a 650. Her confidence isn't up there enough for a 650 ... yet.

Don't be put off by that - it may be a 650, but it is NOT powerful. I found mine as smooth and easy to ride as the GN 250 I used on the training course. Probably cos it is a single.
Nothing like the power of a 650 twin / sports bike.
In the US where beginners can ride anything, lots of women for it cos it is so light and low powered, and often grow out of it in a few months.

That little bit of extra power over a 250 can really help when on the open road and getting out of trouble. Maybe take one for a ride yourself and you will see what I mean. But of course only if she likes it. It is really low to the ground which makes it EASY to manage.

Oakie
28th March 2007, 18:04
Seeing as how she's supposed to be in the kitchen have you thought about something from the Breville or Tiffany range? A kitchen chair has quite a low seat height and provided maintenance is up to scratch then suspension performance is usually of quite a high standard.
Some of those new fandangled microwaves have got plenty of grunt however nothing beats the fun factor of motorised rotary appliances.
Long trips to the rubbish bin and back can be tackled in relative comfort if the optional (at extra cost) baggage handling accessory is fitted. Fuel consumption is also optimal as fuel and refreshments can be supplied in situ........

Oh dear. Just wait until Mrs Oakie sees this....:corn:

EDIT: OK, she's seen it...she laughed a lot and then mentioned something about you having to extract said 'motorised rotary appliance' from your arse should you ever come within 50km of Christchurch.

Oakie
28th March 2007, 18:06
Thanks for all that info Crashe. Really helpful.

FREE2B
29th March 2007, 11:00
Don't be put off by that - it may be a 650, but it is NOT powerful. I found mine as smooth and easy to ride as the GN 250 I used on the training course. Probably cos it is a single.
Nothing like the power of a 650 twin / sports bike.
In the US where beginners can ride anything, lots of women for it cos it is so light and low powered, and often grow out of it in a few months.

That little bit of extra power over a 250 can really help when on the open road and getting out of trouble. Maybe take one for a ride yourself and you will see what I mean. But of course only if she likes it. It is really low to the ground which makes it EASY to manage.

I so agree its not scary at all and the extra power is there if your passing. I would definitely recomend she at least gives it a go.

SDU
29th March 2007, 15:25
I agree with Magicfairy & Free2b that the Suzuki LS650 is not going to be scary. I have ridden one & found it easy to handle straight off. It will not take long for Mrs O to gain confidence on one.
I have a DR650SE which is my first bike bigger than a 250, I found it safer & better on the open road over the 250's I'd had, the power comes on with no surprises and gained confidence with it quickly, it was never scary (just the height), the LS650 is smoother again being set up for the road only.
Some 250's are more scary the way the power comes on than the Suzuki 650 singles.
Good luck

Oakie
30th March 2007, 12:41
If the cc rating of the LS650 didn't put her off, the price-tag would have. It was $7495 but our budget is only $5k.

magicfairy
30th March 2007, 13:12
If the cc rating of the LS650 didn't put her off, the price-tag would have. It was $7495 but our budget is only $5k.

Wellington Motorcycles have 3 (including my 13 month old LS650 - $6000) for $4800 to $6000
I know they'd take less.

Blackbird
30th March 2007, 14:21

See my post today on: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=996126#post996126. Tokoroa is probably a long way to come but the price would be well within your posted range.

SDU
30th March 2007, 14:37

Money the root of all evil. Know how it is. Except I always blow my budget when it comes to bikes. we have a far too understanding bank manager.
Oh well, Something will turn up in the price range that she'll like.

yungatart
30th March 2007, 16:32
The Eliminator is a cool bike!
Sits quite comfortably at 120 but can be pushed to 140ish - not that I've ever done that :innocent:
Low seat height, very easy to ride. Extremely comfortable with a nice upright seating position. Foot pegs are not forward control.
It has Kawasaki's positive neutral finder.
Does about 200 ish k's to a tank, give or take.
It has the same engine as the GPX, GPZ and ZZR so parts are not difficult to find.
It has that "special X factor", not very many of them around - unlike the Virago......

Oakie
30th March 2007, 18:04
Thanks for that Yungatart. Helpful info. The upright seating is probably important for Mrs Oakie as she has had a dodgy back until recently and would like to keep it that way (un-dodgy). That forward control thing seems inclined to put a lot of pressure on the lower back as it won't be supported by the legs straight underneath.
Apart from that ... the Eliminator is black like my bike so it must be a good choice!

Idol Rider
2nd April 2007, 05:42
What about a honda VTR 250. Fairly low seat. Very light, not a rocket ship but can easily get along at a fair clip. Good looking. Get a great 2nd hander for 5k. She would love one!

yungatart
2nd April 2007, 08:13
Thanks for that Yungatart. Helpful info. The upright seating is probably important for Mrs Oakie as she has had a dodgy back until recently and would like to keep it that way (un-dodgy). That forward control thing seems inclined to put a lot of pressure on the lower back as it won't be supported by the legs straight underneath.
Apart from that ... the Eliminator is black like my bike so it must be a good choice!

They are quite a sexy looking beastie, I reckon! Mine is black too, although a little scuffed around the edges, bit like me really....
Mstrs always gets his nose out of joint when people admire my bike and take no notice of his Gixxer - nice to know that there are still some of us with good taste! :innocent:

Oakie
4th April 2007, 11:09
On the other hand she could pick up a pretty new GN250 to re-learn on for a year or so then figure out what sort of bike she wants at the end of that.

$3300 for a 2006 model with minimal ks doesn't sound too stupid does it? Probably just put decent rubber on it and that would be fine.

What sort of speed will a GN do on the open road without straining it? (GN probably wouldn't be a long-term solution, just a short term intermediate step).

MSTRS
4th April 2007, 11:38
Aren't they that brand new?? GN is usually a good choice for beginners. Will do up to 120 tapped out

Macktheknife
4th April 2007, 11:59
Aren't they that brand new?? GN is usually a good choice for beginners. Will do up to 120 tapped out

Downhill with a tail-wind.

SDU
4th April 2007, 15:01
Will do 110, 120 ok but takes awhile to wind up to it & to over take anything.

Oakie
5th April 2007, 21:50
OK. Spoke to a guy today who knows his stuff and the GN (at least the current 'Made in China' model is off the menu.
It's a duel between the Virago and the Eliminator (with perhaps a small look in from the Yamaha Scorpio)

crashe
5th April 2007, 22:08
Go the
VIRAGO
:love::love::love::love::love:

A awesome bike to ride.....

yungatart
6th April 2007, 13:08
Go the
ELIMINATOR
:love::love::love::love::love:

A awesome bike to ride.....

This is what she really meant to say....

Virago
6th April 2007, 13:33
...Jeez, I wish I had a Virago....

:innocent:

yungatart
6th April 2007, 13:39
:innocent:

Not me, mate! you have me mixed up with that older tart....:innocent:

Oakie
6th April 2007, 13:41
LOL.....(Oakie sits back to watch procedings) :jerry:

Oakie
15th April 2007, 09:17
Honda Rebel anyone?
She's going to have a ride on one next Saturday although I have heard the performance gets a little boring after a few months. Also having a ride on an Eliminator. No Virago in that shop at present but there is one coming.
She sat on a Yamaha Scorpio yesterday but found it a little tall.

crashe
15th April 2007, 10:05
Honda Rebel anyone?
She's going to have a ride on one next Saturday although I have heard the performance gets a little boring after a few months. Also having a ride on an Eliminator. No Virago in that shop at present but there is one coming.
She sat on a Yamaha Scorpio yesterday but found it a little tall.

Riff Raff owned one so contact her for how the Honda Rebel handles.
She fair hooned around on it and even rode her old one down to Wellington when she sold it. (9 hours I think it took her to get there)

I have sat on one as I too was told to get one when I first started back riding... damned if we could find one in stock anywhere at the time.

After finding the VIRAGO :love: lo and behold there was two in stock over the shore. So I still went and sat on them to try them out for size.

I found that the airboxes stick out, right there beside your inner thighs....

Now being so damned short in the legs.... I found that just sitting on the Honda Rebel, that the airboxes did infact hurt and rub on the thighs.

So if Mrs Oakie has thin thighs this may not be a problem for her.

I also couldn't reach the ground comfortably on the Honda Rebel due to those air boxes.

After riding on the VIRAGO :love: for these past 7 years..... I finally saw another Honda Rebel on the Nor-western motorway the other day.
The rider may have been a learner rider as they were only traveling around 80kms and the motorway was fairly empty.

Im not sure how many of them are still around on the road these days..... you just dont see them... I know when I was looking everyone was raving about them..... but you dont seem to hear that much at all now. So I cant say how reliable they are at all or whether parts are easily available either.

SHELRACING
16th April 2007, 21:31
I had a Yamaha SRV 250 for my first bike.

It is a V-Twin and although its not real fast it will do 110-120km phr
without to much trouble.
Mine was bought at Red Baron for $2995.
The only disadvantage I found with a 250cc was the wind factor. I rode lots of 250cc bikes and the GN 250 was taller than the Yamaha, a lot more slower and boring.
I went from that to a Honda CB400 Hyper V-Tech.
This was a little over $5000, but an excellent bike. Upright style but can it get up a boogie if you want.
Easy to ride, cruises great on the open road.
I now have a CBR 600. I love it.

Oh yes I forgot to mention...I'm only 5',a Granma x 2 and haven't lowered any of my bikes.

Girls can do anything they want! You go girl!

Oakie
18th April 2007, 15:10
Oh yes I forgot to mention...I'm only 5',a Granma x 2 and haven't lowered any of my bikes.

Girls can do anything they want! You go girl!

He he. Mrs Oakie is only 5 foot tall and is also a Granma (x1) but has frequently wished I'd lower my bike for her. (This is partly why she's getting one of her own.)

FREE2B
19th April 2007, 11:04
Hmmm I just looked at a Rebel with a friend wanting a starters bike. Those air boxes would drive you nuts (and I dont have fat thighs). She is now considering a Honda magna Have you thought ofone of them???

crashe
19th April 2007, 11:10
Hmmm I just looked at a Rebel with a friend wanting a starters bike. Those air boxes would drive you nuts (and I dont have fat thighs). She is now considering a Honda magna Have you thought ofone of them???

Honda Magna - They have quite a wide seat.
I have sat on them and since I too am only 4 foot 12 inches tall, I have found that I can not reach the ground comfortably with both feet.

Finding the right bike for a short person is sometimes a very hard mission indeed.

FREE2B
19th April 2007, 11:16
Tis a hard road finding the perfect bike ... 4 sure. They are a bit wider but I am a little taller at about 5' 3 so didnt notice the difference it made. The virago seems to have way more character than the rebel. :yes:

NighthawkNZ
19th April 2007, 11:45
The Virago is a nice cruiser. :)

NighthawkNZ
19th April 2007, 11:46
I too am only 4 foot 12 inches tall,

errrr so you 5 foot then :dodge:

Oakie
19th April 2007, 13:01
Mrs Oakie perched herself on the Magna at the same shop that she perched on the Elimanator and Virago. Said the Magna seat was too wide for her comfort. (Small ass ... sorry ... 'arse' and thighs).

magicfairy
19th April 2007, 14:30
Hate to say it, again, but get her to perch on the Savage, she will be surprised just how right it feels - narrow and low.

yungatart
19th April 2007, 14:50
At the risk of repeating myself,... the Eliminator....it is just such a cool bike....low seat height, comfortable riding position, economical, very learner friendly, stylish... I could go on..but, what more could Mrs Oakie want?

Oakie
19th April 2007, 19:16
Hate to say it, again, but get her to perch on the Savage, she will be surprised just how right it feels - narrow and low.

She did perch on one with no prompting from me and reckoned it was really good. Got off pretty fast when I told her it was a 650 though. Still, it could be a starter for a future bike once she's got her confidence and skills at the right level

Oakie
19th April 2007, 19:23
...low seat height, comfortable riding position, economical, very learner friendly, stylish... I could go on..but, what more could Mrs Oakie want?
So that's why she likes the Eliminator. Except for the 'low seat height', it's just like me..... :yeah: :woohoo:

yungatart
20th April 2007, 10:45
So that's why she likes the Eliminator. Except for the 'low seat height', it's just like me..... :yeah: :woohoo:

We haven't met, so I will just have to reserve judgement on that :innocent:

magicfairy
20th April 2007, 12:00
She did perch on one with no prompting from me and reckoned it was really good. Got off pretty fast when I told her it was a 650 though. Still, it could be a starter for a future bike once she's got her confidence and skills at the right level

It is a decidely gutless 650 - she has her full license I thought?
Believe me she will NOT come to grief on it, very kind bike for newbies. I went to mine only after riding scooters and never had any problems at all.

pritch
20th April 2007, 12:51
A while back I was searching the 'Net for options for a vertically challenged friend. I came across a website that lists bikes grouped according to the required height of the rider.
No, it did not start Honda RC212V - 5 Foot 2.

Here is another such: http://www.vtwinmama.com/motorcycles_for_short_riders.htm

Oakie
20th April 2007, 13:43
It is a decidely gutless 650 - she has her full license I thought?
Yep, full licence. She just hasn't ridden for about 23/24 years.

magicfairy
20th April 2007, 17:54
Perhaps you could take one out for a test ride and see what you think. If she ends up on a bike that she has to tippy toe, even if it is a 250, sooner or later she will get caught out on high ground and go over. And confidence will go down.
I think being able to flat foot and have a very light bike to move around will more than compensate for that extra bit of power she is concerned about. I think newbies tend to drop their bikes more cos they get caught out doing low speed stuff, than crash due to high speeds. (unless of course they are young and over confident which I am sure Mrs Oakie is not)
I am only 5ft 1, but have short "ample" legs and a lot of the bikes like the GN even, were tippy toe for me. Not the Savage which I why I loved it from day 1.

granma2
23rd April 2007, 16:29
He he. Mrs Oakie is only 5 foot tall and is also a Granma (x1) but has frequently wished I'd lower my bike for her. (This is partly why she's getting one of her own.)

So is there any reason why you cant lower a bike like yours? Buy her one and get it lowered. Costs around $200 to $300 to have it done professionally.
The CB400/Ducati Monster 400 range is pretty good on height and can be lowered quite nicely if you wish.
Well thats what they told me at most bike shops.
I really liked the Monster but just didnt have the open road speed I needed. It would be fine for Mrs Granma x1.

SDU
24th April 2007, 14:52
I'm almost 5' 1 & was able to test ride the monster 900 & 400 I was tippy toes but with both feet for a change which gave the advantage of getting 1 foot more or less down.

If Mrs Oakie wanted to see how much/little power a suzuki 650 has she is welcome to try my DR650SE it will be tippy toe for her but it is light. Better be quick as I'm selling it.

Oakie
24th April 2007, 19:49
She was supposed to be taking the Eliminator out last Saturday but they'd been busy and had only just started preparing it Hopefully this Friday / Saturday. She sat on the Rebel and she actually looked to big for it! Said it didn't feel right either so the Eliminator is looking pretty good at the moment ... especially at $4200 with 8000k on the clock. There are a couple of Viragos in other shops but nothing under $4999.

yungatart
25th April 2007, 09:09
Good Luck with the EL, I'm sure she will love it, they are an awesome wee beastie!

R1madness
25th April 2007, 09:16
How about a XV400 Virago? Can do you a tidy one with 5000km in Red/silver for $5000 including 6months rego/wof and freight.

Oakie
25th April 2007, 10:04
How about a XV400 Virago? Can do you a tidy one with 5000km in Red/silver for $5000 including 6months rego/wof and freight.
Hey Ian...It's the Eliminator at YOUR shop she's coming to ride. LOL!
If you've got the Virago in shop she'll have a look at it too I guess.
Cheers
Richard

Oakie
27th April 2007, 18:08
Small world. We went down for a quick look at the Eliminator tonight preparatory to Mrs Oakie taking it out tomorrow and met SDU and Lemans who happened to be in the shop. Nice to talk to couple of KBers and good for Mrs Oakie to get some biking feedback from a lady biker of similar height.

I think the purchase is going to happen. Watch this space! :scooter:

laRIKin
27th April 2007, 19:20
We hope that the weather clears up for the test ride tomorrow.
And of course you both like the bike.

PS: your bike is the smaller version (with out the fairing) of SDU's brothers new bike we talked about.
Nice looking bike by the way.

SDU
29th April 2007, 12:44
Small world. We went down for a quick look at the Eliminator tonight preparatory to Mrs Oakie taking it out tomorrow and met SDU and Lemans who happened to be in the shop. Nice to talk to couple of KBers and good for Mrs Oakie to get some biking feedback from a lady biker of similar height.

I think the purchase is going to happen. Watch this space! :scooter:

Thanks Oakie it was good to meet you two too! Hope Mrs Oakie enjoyed her test ride, just pm us if you both wanna join us on a ride sometime. She'll find a lot of supportive local KB gals here. I think she'll enjoy meeting them also- should point out they aren't all hobbits like us though:D

Oakie
29th April 2007, 17:55
Cheers SDU
'Twas an ugly day for someone to get back onto two wheels after so many years off but I collected the bike on Saturday morning and got Mrs Oakie out on it between showers and a trip to town.
She went up and down the drive a few times without depositing the bike in the garden and actually managed to do a lap of our cul-de-sac and got into second gear before it was time to take the bike back.
They hadn't had time to road test the bike themselves so there were a few issues that became apparant that need to be dealt with. No 'deal-breakers' though and hopefully they've had time to fix them by next Saturday when we're going to do it all over again.
One thing is certain though ...and that is that a bike will be purchased. She loved being in the front seat again. :love:

SDU
30th April 2007, 12:22
At least she got a bit of a feel for it. It was a bit crappy Sat, I hope that this week is better for her.
Having your own ride does feel great! I wish I had of done it years ago. But then it was nice doing the big miles as Lemans' Koala too.:sunny:

heyjoe
30th April 2007, 15:08
Mrs Oakie perched herself on the Magna at the same shop that she perched on the Elimanator and Virago. Said the Magna seat was too wide for her comfort. (Small ass ... sorry ... 'arse' and thighs).

I have just found this thread and read about the mission to find a suitable bike for 'Mrs Oakie.' I know what it is like as I recently had a work friend who sought the same thing for similar reasons.

I did find it amusing though when I realised (in the quote) that the conversation had turned to discussing Mrs Oakie's arse and thighs. I hope Mrs Oakie finds sees this in the funny light that it appears. It sounds like she has a good sense of humour.

Wish I could find a way to encourage my wife to look at another bike again. She too stopped riding many years ago and needs to rebuild confidence again. I would suggest the Suzuki 650 Savage as the one to start on again. It is a nice light and bike to ride and would have the extra cc to get up and go when needed.

Good luck Mr and Mrs Oakie in your search!

magicfairy
30th April 2007, 15:27
Go the Savage - the perfect bike for short, plump, less confident older women. (from one who knows...)

Oakie
30th April 2007, 22:12
So many people giving the thumbs up to the Savage! Must be something to it I guess.
OK. I promise we'll look at it for her next bike but at this stage they tend to be a little out of our budget for her re-learner (that's unless someone has one for under 5 grand)?

magicfairy
1st May 2007, 08:24
Wellington Motorcycle have 2 or 3. Cheapest $4700 ish
My old one is still there - they have it listed at $5999 but I am pretty sure you could get it nearer $5000. Never been dropped, always been well serviced.

Oakie
6th May 2007, 20:19
He he. Check this page out tomorrow night for some news. :scooter:

MSTRS
6th May 2007, 20:34
He he. Check this page out tomorrow night for some news. :scooter:

Better known as 'How to keep a bunch of idiots in suspense???

Oakie
6th May 2007, 21:01
Better known as 'How to keep a bunch of idiots in suspense???
Ha. Turns out that I'm the idiot but I'll tell you why tomorrow night. (See, even more suspense now).

Mrs Oakie
7th May 2007, 22:47
Well the search is over! Thursday nite I pick up my new baby. Eliminator 250 and I am in love :love: The search has been a particlarly hard one for Mr Oakie trying to fit my small, close to the ground arse on a bike that is not a scooter. I just tended to mutter agreement as my heart really was not in it until I actually sat on a bike that felt right and I started to have that 'perhaps I can do this again' feeling. When I had a test ride, up and down the drive on a wet day I was less than convinced but when I took it out on Saturday again on a straight road..... well that was that. It was like I had never had a 25 year break at all. Poor old Mr Oakie lost me for half an hour or so and immediately thought the worst but when we caught up and I was beaming from ear to ear he knew he was sunk and NO was not going to be an option!!! Just trying to figure out where Mr Oakie will sleep when I get the baby home.............

far queue
7th May 2007, 23:05
Well the search is over!Well done and welcome back to the front seat, I'll keep an eye out for you buzzing round the neighbourhood.

FREE2B
8th May 2007, 10:04
Yahoo glad you have found something you really love. :rockon:

MSTRS
8th May 2007, 10:57
Good girl for picking such a fine wee bike. They are perfect for the arse-height-challenged and have enough go to please. YT loves hers (but is now on the prowl for something a little larger).

SDU
8th May 2007, 12:08
Well the search is over! Thursday nite I pick up my new baby. Eliminator 250 and I am in love :love: The search has been a particlarly hard one for Mr Oakie trying to fit my small, close to the ground arse on a bike that is not a scooter. I just tended to mutter agreement as my heart really was not in it until I actually sat on a bike that felt right and I started to have that 'perhaps I can do this again' feeling. When I had a test ride, up and down the drive on a wet day I was less than convinced but when I took it out on Saturday again on a straight road..... well that was that. It was like I had never had a 25 year break at all. Poor old Mr Oakie lost me for half an hour or so and immediately thought the worst but when we caught up and I was beaming from ear to ear he knew he was sunk and NO was not going to be an option!!! Just trying to figure out where Mr Oakie will sleep when I get the baby home.............

:rockon: Welcome aboard Mrs Oakie.
Glad you have found your new toy, those grins are a symptom of disease, bikes get into your blood & will always rear up to be noticed. I'm sure Mr Oakie will understand your new :love: don't forget to toss him a cover for the night.:innocent:
Look forward to seeing you on a ride.

Oakie
8th May 2007, 12:46
: I'm sure Mr Oakie will understand your new :love: don't forget to toss him a cover for the night.

It's OK. She's softened her stance now. I'm allowed to be in the bed too.
Yippee! A threesome with my wife and a motorbike!

Mrs Oakie
8th May 2007, 13:36
It's OK. She's softened her stance now. I'm allowed to be in the bed too.
Yippee! A threesome with my wife and a motorbike!

Who said you were invited :angry:

Oakie
8th May 2007, 13:56
Who said you were invited :angry:

Be nice. I'm just arranging your insurance.:nono:

yungatart
8th May 2007, 16:32
An excellent choice Mrs Oakie - some of the more esteemed ...ahem...people on this forum have started off on one of these babies!
If you have half as much fun on yours as I've had on mine you are in for a treat!!
Make sure you've got good tyres on her tho...makes a heap of difference!

Oakie
8th May 2007, 20:31
Make sure you've got good tyres on her tho...makes a heap of difference!

Brand new tyres. A Bridgestone something or other on the back and I didn't actually check what they put on the front.

I've heard these bikes can run pretty hot as perhaps the radiator isn't quite big enough. Any comments?

yungatart
9th May 2007, 08:33
You could be right, but it has a fan that runs independent of the ignition.
I haven't had any probs due to it running hot, but I do ride like a nana - however, hXc tries to ride it like a sprotsbike, and he hasn't had any issues either.

MSTRS
9th May 2007, 08:50
.... hXc tries to ride it like a sprotsbike, and he hasn't had any issues either.

Apart from moaning about the ease with which the pegs touchdown.

granma2
16th May 2007, 20:52
Good on you Mrs Oakie, it's a great feeling
when you get on the bike and it feels sooooo good, you just have to have it.
I couldn't stop looking at my bike when I got it.
I love riding my bike.
I ride to work everyday and some days I am tempted to just keep riding.......straight past work and up St Hway 16. Sigh!!!

Mrs Oakie
22nd May 2007, 19:41
Good on you Mrs Oakie, it's a great feeling
when you get on the bike and it feels sooooo good, you just have to have it.
I couldn't stop looking at my bike when I got it.
I love riding my bike.
I ride to work everyday and some days I am tempted to just keep riding.......straight past work and up St Hway 16. Sigh!!!

I know exactly what you mean!!!!!! The feeling is great and the bike looks better everytime I see it. It is so hard not to take it to work but it would do it more damage than good, riding for 2 minutes then stopping for 4 hours. i will limit myself to the weekends. This weekend I put on another 94k's and that is just round the city. Will have to do some open road stuff this weekend, if the weather is up to it of course!!