PDA

View Full Version : KBers join up with others to do Takapari Road

merv
10th March 2007, 19:40
Re-cycled got us all psyched up a few weeks ago about riding Takapari Road out of Pohangina Valley North of Ashhurst because he had done it previously on Wellington anniversary day. Not a KB ride though because the plans got hatched at our weekly e-riders lunch but I thought I'd better post a story and a few pics here anyway so you can see what we get up to when we leave our road bikes in the garage.

So the plan was meet at Plimmerton Weigh Station at 8.30am and then for others to join us as we headed North to Ashhurst. So the first three pics are at Plimmerton Weigh Station.

The group that met there was merv XR250L, Re-cycled with granddaughter Jenny DR650, Aslan DR350, Ken XT600, Lynnda KLX650, Glen DR650RS.

Then we picked up Bob (can't remember your KB name) F650 at Paekakariki and Gerald VStrom DL650 at Paraparaumu then rode on to Ashhurst. The fiasco with the road sealing toward Waikanae didn't cause us too much grief but I understand the commuters had got hot under the collar during the week. The weather was beautifully fine so we had a nice ride North.

Next three pics are at Ashhurst Mobil.

merv
10th March 2007, 19:48
So after gassing up at Mobil we headed off around to the park in the middle of Ashhurst so we could, well ah, go to the loo as the gas station was busy having its rebuilt.

At Ashhurst we had Jason LC4 and Owen NX650 Dominator join us. By now its 10 bikes - cool huh. Hope I've got all your names right.

merv
10th March 2007, 19:55
Once we'd had a break at the park - the first four pics, it was on up Pohangina Valley and on to Takapari Road - the last two pics. Little did I know a number of them missed one of the turns so while I'm waiting at the first gate for them to arrive - they don't! Then Re-cycled comes up to tell me they are missing, so we then went back down again.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:02
You can see Mt Ruapehu from here.

Meanwhile back down at Pohangina East Valley road to wait for the stragglers - next three pics.

Then we get onto Takapari Road - yippe!! - and Gerald was doing OK on the VStrom - not quite my idea of a trail bike.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:06
The fun continued - the conditions were dry and the road is quite rough and rocky once you get further up.

Cripes you even see Dannevirke on the other side once you get to the top. My GPS said we peaked at 1173 metres above sea level. That's about 3850 feet in your language Motu so we got quite high in the ranges.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:14
Great track all right - nice views, and luckily we finally have summer so it was nice day for it.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:18
More of the same - a bunch of bikers enjoying riding on a rocky road in the sun.

There's the mountains in the background again in the last pic.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:23
So we enjoyed the sun and the views, but eventually found water, which always makes for good photos.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:29
Once everyone got through the water we weren't far from the A Frame (Travers) hut which we decided was a good spot for lunch. Re-cycled told us to bring lunch in our bags - a bit odd these days when we live in a cafe world.

merv
10th March 2007, 20:41
The lunch break continued (first two pics) and you'll see a 4x4 ute with dog was able to get that far OK.

Then we then rode further along the rocky track until we thought it was time to turn back. I never got any photos along there (others may have a few to show) - too busy riding, but once we'd finished it was back down the hill and on to the Waterford Cafe and Bar for a cool drink.

Lynnda tells me Bob's the word! (Was that Bikers on Booze? Not me of course!!)

merv
10th March 2007, 20:47
Then I've got just two pics left taken at Mobil Ashhurst showing the Meridian wind farm - those are big mother turbines almost 80 metre diameter. The noise is said to be really pissing off the locals - the constant drone and vibration.

Then it was off home to Welly. By the time I got home according to my GPS I'd done about 390 km at an average speed of 67km/hr. Not bad for a nice sunny day's ride.

OK over to the rest of you to post your pics.

Aslan
10th March 2007, 20:57
Merv - you're the man when it comes to promptly posting reports and selflessly photographs of others. Here's my few attempts - includng one of Merv attacking a slope beyond the 'A Frame' hut up on the tops. A great day - fantastic views terrain that was challenging enough in parts - all in all a very special day. Thanks 'Recycled' for organising us and all for your company - Cheers Aslan :sunny:

Aslan
10th March 2007, 21:04
here's a couple more off views taken on the way back from exploring beyond the A Frame ('Travers' according to Merv) and on the descent back down to the valley floor - magnificant views of Ruapehu were possible today. :rockon:

merv
10th March 2007, 21:16
The hut was called Travers Hut on my GPS map - how correct that is who knows?

Grub
10th March 2007, 21:26
Then it was off home to Welly. .

... and we saw you but you didn't see us. The 30+ KiwiBikers at the Waikanae pub that is. You went past at about 18:15ish (maybe later). It was you, we saw Jenny! From memory 4 (or 5) very dirty bikes? Looked like you'd done a fairly fun days riding :)

Zukin
10th March 2007, 22:08
The hut was called Travers Hut on my GPS map - how correct that is who knows?

Yes I have been there a few times and on my maps it shows as Travers Hut, great pics again Merv.
Didnt invite me though and I was down that way on the trusty ole DRZ :yes:

merv
11th March 2007, 07:44
Yeah by the time we were coming home it was sun to the West stuff so I wasn't seeing anything to my right at Waikanae. Hope you all had a good time there.

mazz1972
12th March 2007, 14:39
Takapari Road is off Pohangina Valley East (?) road and you turn at the old overgrown post office?

How far is it up to the top?

Great photos - looks like you had a great day!

merv
12th March 2007, 17:00
Takapari Road is off Pohangina Valley East (?) road and you turn at the old overgrown post office?

How far is it up to the top?

Great photos - looks like you had a great day!

It is about 16km from Pohangina Valley East Road to the A Frame Hut and you go from 335 metres above sea level to a peak of 1173 m and that took about 50 minutes including all the photo stops, enjoying the view and opening of gates according to my GPS.

After having lunch we went an extra 4.8km past the hut until the road started looking a bit dodgy and we thought it was time to turn for home so we'd at least get home in daylight.

Coming down from the hut with gate stops only was 33 minutes.

mazz1972
13th March 2007, 09:06
Excellent thanks, it sounds like a must do at some stage. Have been past that road a quite few times but never up it! You mention there are gates, do you need keys for these?

Did you stop in at the post office and have a look? It's a blast from the past.

merv
13th March 2007, 13:43
No keys needed and no we didn't stop at any Post Office and if it was the building at the start of the road behind the bushes we just assumed it was private property and stayed out.

motorcyclerachel
14th March 2007, 05:19
Looks like a lot of fun - we were looking forward to getting out in the next few weeks - 19 degrees on the weekend. But... another 4 inches of snow fell last night, and we are back to the ski hill!! Thanks Lynnda for pointing me to biking fun :-) Cheers, Rachel. (Canada).

merv
14th March 2007, 20:59
Rachel most of NZ has now just been hit with a slight touch of winter but we hope its passing quickly coz we had such a bad lead up to February here in Wellington we want more summer for riding. We certainly don't want snow like you are getting.

p.s. good to see you on the site first post. Enjoy your biking.

Fryin Finn
15th March 2007, 10:48
Gerald came in to work excited about the ride and the new found abilities of his DL650.
However today he went off to hospital to get his right wrist checked (as a result of a spill on the ride) and came back with it in plaster.
You guys are going to have to be gentle with him as he is older than I am.
I was busy throwing my Gas Gas around at the Kapiti enduro on Saturday.

Aslan
15th March 2007, 12:31
Gerald came in to work excited about the ride and the new found abilities of his DL650.
However today he went off to hospital to get his right wrist checked (as a result of a spill on the ride) and came back with it in plaster.
You guys are going to have to be gentle with him as he is older than I am.
I was busy throwing my Gas Gas around at the Kapiti enduro on Saturday.

I understand Gerald has ridden trials in the past. Certainly he demonstrated great skill on the 'wee Strom' on Tourances no less. I was pleased, on seeing some off the steep, loose rock descents to have left my 'leven fiddy' at home in favour of the little DR. Thanks to Recycled for counselling me to ride the DR. Cheers Aslan :scooter:

merv
15th March 2007, 16:49
Sorry to hear about Gerald's wrist.

The wrist should mend but I thought he'd be more concerned about the scratches he put in the nice black panels.

He was game how far he took that bike, because me I'm a light bike type rider myself and also said to Aslan take the DR and not the BMW.

Shiner
19th March 2007, 20:31
It is about 16km from Pohangina Valley East Road to the A Frame Hut and you go from 335 metres above sea level to a peak of 1173 m and that took about 50 minutes including all the photo stops, enjoying the view and opening of gates according to my GPS.

After having lunch we went an extra 4.8km past the hut until the road started looking a bit dodgy and we thought it was time to turn for home so we'd at least get home in daylight.

Coming down from the hut with gate stops only was 33 minutes.

Looks like you guys had a fantastic day out. Will be there next time you go. I was up country at the time missed out. However to add to the little adventures I have with my little red F650 I did get to witness the Lahar flow on my return ride yesterday, capturing many images of its might and dramatic power......and quoted on the front page of the Dom!

I actually had a great ride through Whangamomona back roads too.

Frodo
19th March 2007, 21:35
Shiner

You're one for the media limelight! How did the new tyres go in the lahar?

upshift
15th July 2008, 13:24
I have heard that DOC have erected a locked gate about 300m below the A frame hut. Apparently in a prick of a spot if you're in a vehicle as there is no room to turn around.

merv
15th July 2008, 13:38
Oh stuff, and I was hoping to get Mrs merv up there sometime.

upshift
15th July 2008, 14:17
Just made a call to the Palmerston North DOC office and had this confirmed.
Apparently closer to 1km before the hut than the 300m I heard. Reason given is that they no longer wish to maintain the road beyond that point and additionally as some deterrent to avert any vandalism of the A frame hut.

Bugger!

merv
15th July 2008, 19:03
Will they let us have a key with a responsible request?

upshift
15th July 2008, 20:45
Will they let us have a key with a responsible request?

Forgot to ask that :doh:

merv
15th July 2008, 21:33
OK when I manage to get up there again I'll see if I can remember to ask.

mbazza
15th July 2008, 21:33
Interesting read and great photos Merv. Here was me thinking the wee strom is invincible and G went and dropped it! I expect he's mended by now! Cheers in retrospect.

merv
15th July 2008, 21:35
Yeah the ride was a wee while ago so I'm sure he's all fixed now.