PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Pirelli Strada owners, will I make it?

beyond
11th March 2007, 09:17
Ok, I have a short notice trip I need to complete to see my brother in Napier.
My problem: you know how dear tyres are and I know mine are coming up for replacement. I believe I will get there and back from my place which is about 800kms.

Trouble is the Strada are like the Z6 in that there is no tread markers in the middle of the tyres and though the tread looks good on the outer edges I've had a Z6 wear through to the canvas. I don't want this happening on the Strada.

I've enclosed some not well taken pics of the tread and tyre. Those who own Pirellis Stradas: do you think I'm ok for another 800kms on these??

Scouse
11th March 2007, 09:21
Looks like you will be buying a new one in Napier there Paul

beyond
11th March 2007, 09:25
Bugger. I haven't time to stop there and fluff around with tyres and don't think I'll get the chance to have them replaced before I go either :(

DMNTD
11th March 2007, 09:29
If it wasn't to rain and you were gentle with your roll on power I'd say you'd be ok BUT....no one controls the weather and ya only get one crack at this thing called Life sir.

However....is there a way to pre-organise a set of hoops and get the fitted whilst there?

yungatart
11th March 2007, 09:34
We do have bike shops in Napier, Beyond!
Mstrs could organise new tyres for you, and you could get them fitted while you are here, if you let us know what you want.

beyond
11th March 2007, 09:35
If it wasn't to rain and you were gentle with your roll on power I'd say you'd be ok BUT....no one controls the weather and ya only get one crack at this thing called Life sir.

However....is there a way to pre-organise a set of hoops and get the fitted whilst there?

Hiya DMNTD

Short notice trip. I'm heading down Friday arvo, be there to visit my bro on Sat morning and straight back.

Trouble is it's hard getting out of work during the week to get some new ones fitted. But, I think I better try and get them replaced before I give it a go. Imagine being stuck between Napier and Taupo with no phone coverage and a few steel hoops rolling dow the road :(

Then, it's always in the back of your mind as well, so you don't enjoy the ride either.

beyond
11th March 2007, 10:08
We do have bike shops in Napier, Beyond!
Mstrs could organise new tyres for you, and you could get them fitted while you are here, if you let us know what you want.

Thanks, you guys. Much appreciated. I'll try and get them done here before I go and then I won't be thinking about it all the way there. Nothing worse seeing the thin white line in the middle of your tyre mid ride :)

If that does'nt work out for any reason, I'll look at your offer of having them sorted in Napier.

Oh, PM me your phone number and once I leave my brothers place on Saturday I'll try and catch up even for an hour if I can. If I get through my brotherly duties and have time to spare I'll pop into Napier and meet you before I head off then. The only thing is my other brother bought a farm in Eskdale and wants me to see it as well as I haven't been down that way since my parents shifted back to Auckland, so a few things to do.

I'll try and swing it though :)

BarBender
11th March 2007, 10:11
You changing the front too Paul?

beyond
11th March 2007, 10:24
Yeah, both. The front has a little more meat on it but it's not worth having to go back in another 1000kms and get that done too.

I'm thinking of giving the Pilot Powers a crack this time.

DMNTD
11th March 2007, 10:32
I'm thinking of giving the Pilot Powers a crack this time.

May I suggest considering a Pilot Power front and Pilot Sport rear?
Heavy bike + ooooodles of torque = chewed rear tyre as you know.
The Pilot Sport is a good tyre IMO and they work well together :yes:

beyond
11th March 2007, 10:36
May I suggest considering a Pilot Power front and Pilot Sport rear?
Heavy bike + ooooodles of torque = chewed rear tyre as you know.
The Pilot Sport is a good tyre IMO and they work well together :yes:

Thanks for that. Might even out the wear a bit. Always good to change a pair at the same time if you can. Always better to have a stickier hoop on the front too. :)

R6_kid
11th March 2007, 12:37
wear markers = wires coming through... was 'safe' enough on the R6 :whocares:

Kornholio
12th March 2007, 08:06
wear markers = wires coming through... was 'safe' enough on the R6 :whocares:

Hey Paul

Yeah man you got heaps of meat on them... my back one is starting to disintegrate and ill get another couple of hundred k's out of it...have ridden on the wires before, makes for good rolling burnouts at 160+ when you give it a handful... but seriously thaty will alright for your trip but you will need to replace it when you get back :D

idleidolidyll
12th March 2007, 08:08
no paul, you won't make it unless you ride like a nana...............and you don't

scracha
12th March 2007, 09:22
no paul, you won't make it unless you ride like a nana...............and you don't

Paul, get a lighter bike :Punk:

Fatjim
12th March 2007, 09:27
They look fine to me. The Strada has a lot more rubber than most tyres. Normally, when you run out of tread the bands aren't far below, but not so on the Strada. They'll be ok in the wet as long as it's not pissing down AND your not giving in handfuls.
It hardly ever rains where you're going anyway.

If you do ditch them, keep them for a track day or 2, or 3.

PS, can't see any wear indicators, but they may even be legal.

Mrs Busa Pete
12th March 2007, 14:25
Hay i would take it easy on the taupo napier road. The last time we went down we came across 7 cops on that stretch only.

MSTRS
12th March 2007, 14:59
Yep. HP getting backhanders from the tyre companies?? Make 'em go slower so their tyres last longer! :innocent:

beyond
12th March 2007, 21:45
Cheers folks. All sorted. I didn't want to have it in the back of my mind that they could canvas, especially between Napier and Taupo. So, have a new set on now so no niggles and can enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the heads up on the HP :( How to stuff a good bike road.

Warr
21st March 2007, 22:58
Not my thread, but simmilar .. sort of

Been running Strada's on my VFR for a while now
Front
1st one got 11489k's out of it
2nd & 3rd k's presently at 9737 and plenty to go. ( have 2 wheels so 2 tyres on the go here)

Rear
1st one was a nameless tyre bought cause I needed one real bad in Taupo on a Sat morning - no record of how long it lasted but,
1st & 2nd one together lasted 18600k's
3rd one at 9000 and some left still.