PDA

View Full Version : VTR or Hornet

Fostyboy
11th March 2007, 18:04
Hey I am looking to buy a 250 to do my learners on. I used to ride a fxr150 but never got round to getting my licence so I need to start again. I really like the look of the hornets and the VTR's but don't know which way to go. Also thinking about resale after a year.

Just wanting a bit of info about each and if anyone has ridden both and compared them. I want something with a bit of grunt (for a 250) and willing to spend about $6000.

What would you recomend?

toymachine
11th March 2007, 18:18
The Hornet is a great naked bike, easy to handle, reliable and has a bit of go-gas as well. Only prob is it is in the higher end of the 250 market .. around $5000, but once you try one out - odds are, you'll like it (or usually..love it! )

Large 180 tyre on the back makes it a breeze to handle (and for those other jokers who keep bringing up my superman impressions on Twilight Rd, it is the rider at fault and not the bike! )

Uses parts from the CBR600 range - even uses a detuned CBR250 engine. Also, it's the kind of bike that makes you want to ride and ride - very comfortable and easy on the eyes.

Maintenance is a doddle, you'll end up wanting to hug it and kiss it and talk to it and buy it bling and ride it and give it the best gas and find other Hornet riders and ... you get the general idea!

Check out this site for some more info...

http://www.hondahornet.co.uk/

And oh yeah, you got a biased, prejudiced and completely obsessed little ol'Hornet rider here to ask!

Go Hornet!

nicked from another thread...

gijoe1313
11th March 2007, 22:15
nicked from another thread...

Oh proops! I was going to type up another little ol'Hornet obsessed post and here I find someone has beaten me to it! :weep:

So... I will just add, there aren't too many of the little ol'Hornets pootling along out there, definitely has a class and style all of it's own and people will always be mistaking it for it's bigger brother and more rarely dad! (the 600 and 900).

Kids will always wave to you, 'cause a little ol'Hornet is one of the friendliest bikes around and it just makes people want to come up to you to have a little chat or a closer look see :yes:

And on top of that, you just want to hug it and kiss it and talk to it and cover it up at night and then come back and switch the light on and check it's okay and polish it and buy it bling and ... you get the general idea! :o :woohoo: :sunny:

Chisanga
11th March 2007, 22:21
Oh proops! I was going to type up another little ol'Hornet obsessed post and here I find someone has beaten me to it! :weep:

So... I will just add, there aren't too many of the little ol'Hornets pootling along out there, definitely has a class and style all of it's own and people will always be mistaking it for it's bigger brother and more rarely dad! (the 600 and 900).

Kids will always wave to you, 'cause a little ol'Hornet is one of the friendliest bikes around and it just makes people want to come up to you to have a little chat or a closer look see :yes:

And on top of that, you just want to hug it and kiss it and talk to it and cover it up at night and then come back and switch the light on and check it's okay and polish it and buy it bling and ... you get the general idea! :o :woohoo: :sunny:

Yeah all that... but buy a VTR :rofl:

TerminalAddict
12th March 2007, 07:38
hornet ... I'm not biased .. honest ;)

disenfranchised
14th March 2007, 16:00
<cough>Hyosung</cough>

VTR seems overpriced to me...and not the best looking bike out there.
Hornet looks ok tho

fozz rock
14th March 2007, 16:19
<cough>Hyosung</cough>

Hornet looks ok tho

yeah right

vifferman
14th March 2007, 16:24
It's only a choice YOU can make. Whatever does it for you.
Being 250s, either bike should hold its resale value if you look after it.
The Hornet will probably be a bit quicker, but will need to be revved to get there.
I'd get the VTR, but then I have a thing for Vs.

- Mr V.

Babelfish
14th March 2007, 16:30
What viffer said. But if you need any reason to go the vitter route its this:

oh, and they used the word "pootling" :drool:

gijoe1313
14th March 2007, 21:41
As usual, it's always the rider's choice towards their bike - but lemme say one thing, does anyone who rides a little ol'Hornet ever have a bad thing to say about it?

And we also encourage others rather than disparaging the other rides! That's the heart and soul of a Hornet rider, just out there enjoying the buzz and swarming around on journeys near or far.

Just happy to be riding a little ol'Hornet there and back again! :yes:

Babelfish
15th March 2007, 09:13
As usual, it's always the rider's choice towards their bike - but lemme say one thing, does anyone who rides a little ol'Hornet ever have a bad thing to say about it?

And we also encourage others rather than disparaging the other rides! That's the heart and soul of a Hornet rider, just out there enjoying the buzz and swarming around on journeys near or far.

Just happy to be riding a little ol'Hornet there and back again! :yes:

Need I say more...ok I will: if you're a hippy, get a hornet :mellow:

Deviant Esq
15th March 2007, 09:31
They're both great bikes. The VTR is a little more common, and has a V twin engine which has better low revs torque than the Hornet's inline 4, although both are quoted at 24Nm, the VTR makes more of it earlier on in the rev range. The Hornet is the quicker bike overall, mainly due to the revvy nature of the 4 cylinder motor, but a good rider on a VTR will keep up. The Hornet makes 40hp (2002 model quoted) to the 32hp (also 2002 model) of the VTR. The Hornet isn't a detuned CBR250RR however; the CBR250RR has been discontinued a long time, the 250 Hornet is current. Both bikes are quite light (VTR 140kg dry, Hornet 150kg) and handle very well. Seriously, you could buy either one and be more than happy with them. They'll both be easy to resell. If anything the Hornet is a bit more bulletproof than the VTR.

Good luck, show us pictures when you make your purchase. :cool:

gijoe1313
15th March 2007, 10:10
Need I say more...ok I will: if you're a hippy, get a hornet :mellow:

Like, wow, man, tune in, turn on, drop out dude...like, y'know...

And for your note, I love tanks, guns, bullets, bombs and the smell of napalm in the morning. Save a whale, spear a baby - keep death off the roads, drive on the footpath and don't forget, get your retaliation in first, second and last!

As you were!

Oh yeah, buy a Hornet or VTR .. just don't forget to post the piccies! :yes:

Babelfish
15th March 2007, 11:30
Like, wow, man, tune in, turn on, drop out dude...like, y'know...

And for your note, I love tanks, guns, bullets, bombs and the smell of napalm in the morning. Save a whale, spear a baby - keep death off the roads, drive on the footpath and don't forget, get your retaliation in first, second and last!

As you were!

Oh yeah, buy a Hornet or VTR .. just don't forget to post the piccies! :yes:

Good man, thats a bit better, firk, I thought zippy and bungel were going to come out on their hornets at one point :msn-wink:

Joking and piss taking aside, just go and ride em...one you will like....the other you with like more...jobs-a-goodun

bounce
15th March 2007, 11:30
resale value seems to be staying pretty high on them both.
they both sound completely different though... should that matter to you :yes:

McJim
29th March 2007, 19:50
Buy my VTR.....

Okay - got that out of the way. You've ridden a bike before so probably go for the hornet - the VTR is the easier bike to ride - useable power earlier in the rev range - not noticable if you know what your doing with your clutch.

Talk to gijoe about Hornet versus VTR uphill drag race with a fat git on each (Me an' Joe) and the VTR low down torque can make all the difference.

VTR is handy through twilight road too coz of early torque delivery.

Flat out hornet is the shizzle although the fat oversized rear tyre means turn in is not as quick as the VTR but looks cool (the bike has neaither the weight nor the power to justify a 180 it's purely cosmetic)

The difference is you'll get a 1998 hornet for $5,500 or my 2003 VTR for $5,500.

Age and longevity - if you're prepared to have a 10 year old bike that may have had the shit revved out of it then go for it.

McJim
29th March 2007, 19:58
<cough>Hyosung</cough>

Hornet looks ok tho

Look up "VTR250" and "Problem" then look up "GT250R" and "problem" and you'll find out why VTR owners part with the little bit extra.

GT250 Comet is fugly in my opinion - no modern naked bike should have the frame passing under the engine - that should be for fully faired bikes only.

I compare the GT250R to the VTR250 - only $800 difference and you get $800 worth of extra horsepower and torque as well as the use of your bike while the Hyosung is in for repairs under warranty or product recall.

Toaster
29th March 2007, 20:04
Buy a M109R on finance and stick an L plate on it - they won't notice the size difference at all.

McJim
29th March 2007, 20:35
Buy a M109R on finance and stick an L plate on it - they won't notice the size difference at all.

you're right - just tell them it's a 109cc mini chopper.

Hey you could ride a M50 on a car licence as a moped!

disenfranchised
30th March 2007, 00:08
I compare the GT250R to the VTR250 - only $800 difference and you get $800 worth of extra horsepower and torque as well as the use of your bike while the Hyosung is in for repairs under warranty or product recall.

Seems silly, the GT250 is the naked bike, same as the VTR so that's what should be compared.

At $1700 cheaper, the stats on paper only gift the VTR 2hp extra, and 3Nm extra torque (at more than 1000rpm up the range..which isn't really where you want it)

There's still plenty of time for me to be proved wrong, but I haven't found a fault with mine yet..so I stand by my money saving decision...that and the VTR was just to small for me.

Look up "VTR250" and "Problem" then look up "GT250R" and "problem" and you'll find out why VTR owners part with the little bit extra.

Ah, but look up Honda and problem, and it's a whole different story

gijoe1313
30th March 2007, 00:12
As much as I value Hornets, I must say - McJim's VTR is an absolute minter. Anybody who wishes to start off with a primo bit of two wheels of freedom, you don't need to look much further!

He fusses over it almost as much as I do my little ol'Hornet! The advantage he has is that his hasn't been ridden everywhere for mad milage! :innocent:

:rockon: :scooter: :first:

McJim
30th March 2007, 22:51
Seems silly, the GT250 is the naked bike, same as the VTR so that's what should be compared.

We don't talk agout the GT250 in civilised circles.....it's just tooooo damn ugly. :rofl:

And My VTR 250 will only set you back $5,500 so all that extra torque and horsepower can be yours for $700 less than a GT250!