PDA

View Full Version : Heading South

Laava
11th March 2007, 21:47
I have been talked into taking my lady on a month long Sth Is tour starting mid April. Having trouble tearing myself away from work. [Yeah right!]
We are keen on doing the Molesworth asap and heard that it can be kind of seasonal. What do the learned and experienced think?:D
If the worst comes to the worst, we could do soaking at Hanmer Springs instead I guess. I know 4 weeks isn,t enough, but we are hoping to get to Bluff and hopefully Stewart Is. Best we don,t loiter too long in the Nth Is then I suppose!:sunny:

far queue
11th March 2007, 21:57
We are keen on doing the Molesworth asap and heard that it can be kind of seasonal.The Molesworth closed for the season today. I'm not sure what the season is for the Rainbow, maybe you could look at that. I think I have a link to the season dates on my PC at work, I try and remember to check tomorrow for you.

cooneyr
12th March 2007, 07:16
Rainbow is closed unless you organize yourself a key from the station. PM me and I can send details. Molesworth closed on Sunday (11th March).

Cheers R

far queue
12th March 2007, 08:39
The Doc website says ... “Outside the summer season (from the beginning of December until the first weekend in March), permission must be obtained from Star Holdings Limited for access through Rainbow Station.” So, as CR says you can get through anytime with permission.

Transalper
12th March 2007, 13:44
And the Molsworth does not open again untill late December as far as i know.

oldrider
13th March 2007, 23:12
And snow is down to about 500meters today and more coming tonight, things are cooling down a bit too quick this year, not that they ever got hot come to think of it. Cheers John.

Laava
14th March 2007, 21:49
Thanks John but you can't keep me away from the south that easily! You have to share it you know!:sunny:

Skyrich
20th March 2007, 21:30
The Molesworth and Rainbow are great tracks. A group of BMW riders did the Molesworh in the last week of December 2006 - it started snowing as they entered the station and the temps plummeted. One poor rider was close to hypothermic ! Unpredictable at the best of times but a fantastic ride.

Cheers
Rich