PDA

View Full Version : Taupo MotoTT trackday (9/3/07) crash report

K6K
12th March 2007, 14:23
Well I'm out of hospital now, my tpings all fcukd cause my right arm is broken but here are the details to date of my bin at Taupo Trackday.

The Crash: I came out of turn 5, the right hander. I was intending to pass the rider in front inside on the exit. I was on the power early while still cranked over trying to hold a tight line.... It gets a little bit fuzzy from here - the back stepped out big time and I had about 3 or 4k revs of spin. I think I caught it once then it highsided me. I have a slight memory of seeing the road grind my visor but thats about it. The next thing I remember I was on the ground beside my bike.

Damage to the bike (priorities here people)
I didnt get a really good look at the time but today Chris Mitchell who took my bike back to his shop gave me a rundown.
Tank - somehow it ground through and creased the metal and it was leaking fuel.
Left side - bottom and rear fairings. In this case the frame sliders protected the frame rather than denting it as they can do sometimes.
Screen
Rear sets and pillion pegs.
All in all, not to bad by all acccounts. I dont think it will be a right off unless suzuki charges more for a new tank than they have a right to and I have called Star insurance - I dont think there will be any problem in getting it fixed.

Damage to me.
I got up directly after the bin and found out quick that that was a bad idea. I turned off the ignition on my bike and sat quickly back down.
Big thanks to the quys who helped me out there on the track until the Ambulence arrived. I can't remember names unfortunately but they were all great. I wasn't in much pain at all, when the Ambulence guys arrived in the pit area they gave me some morphine anyway. My first time on opiates and I wasn't impressed - I didn't notice any effects! dissapointing. They told me they had called in the helicopter to take me to Rotorua hospital. When I got there the X-rays confirmed a broken right arm (the big bone near the wrist joint) and a fractured pelvis. They set the arm and plastered it which was the most painfull thing about the whole experience. The pelvis was left as it is, bed rest is all that fixes it. The physio still wants me to move around - apparently a litle bit of movement in the fractured bit promotes bone growth. It bloody hurts moving though. Apart from the fractures I got a few bruises and some gravel rash on my lower back.
I only spent Friday and Saturday nights in the hospital then came home on Sunday.

My Gear:
Held up really well. The only thing that didn't work was the zip between jacket and pants. It split which allowed me to get a little gravel rash on my back.
Shoei Helmet - write off see attached pics.
the rest of the gear is still at Chris Mitchell's but he gave me a rundown again:
Revit Gloves - wore through the carbon knuckles but only failed in one small spot on my right index finger(just a scratch)
boots - scuffed and the heel came off one of the boots but they can be repaired.
Revit RS2 leathers: failed at the zip but all stitching survived. Scuff marks everywhere. A solid imprint from my back protector embedded in the back.
Spidi Back Protector - cant see any damage but it had a solid impact so it probably should be replaced.
I have started a claim on my contents insurance which should pay out.

It was a pretty nasty crash but it could have been far worse. Thanks again to all who helped, the guys at the track, Chris Mitchell, the ambulence staff and helicopter crew and Doctors and Nurses at Rotorua hospital.

If I can get some more pics I'll post them when I can,

Cheers,

Kel

cowpoos
12th March 2007, 14:29
heard about you bin through the grape vine...sorry to hear bro...hope you heal up fast!!! and take it easy for a bit!!!

Leong
12th March 2007, 14:29
Glad to hear you're OK!! and hope all heals well and quickly.

I think the indicator/hazard light/passing light switchgear was totally destroyed too.. probably not cheap!

SlowHand
12th March 2007, 14:40
Heal quick mate. Looking forward to seeing you buzz around again.

bugjuice
12th March 2007, 14:43
ouch dude!!!! rest easy and go 'ard on the meds while ya got them!! (don't forget to share)
Bikes (while sometimes expensive) are easier to repair than us. Stay rested for now, then it won't be long until you're back in the saddle

Matt Bleck
12th March 2007, 14:52
Bummer dude. Hope to catch ya at Taupo sometime soon. Take it easy.

Pumba
12th March 2007, 15:03
Bugger mate, heal up well and thank god for insurance :rockon:

Keystone19
12th March 2007, 15:21
Heard the news from Leong on Saturday at Pukekohe - soooo glad you are going to be ok.

aff-man
12th March 2007, 15:26
Glad to see you're up and about (well sort of),

Hopefully you'll get yourself and the bike sorted soon.. Did the doc's give ya an eta on when you'll be on two wheels again??

kiwifruit
12th March 2007, 15:56
heal fast dude!

heres a pic of you straight after it happened, you stood up then fell down apparently :gob:

K6K
12th March 2007, 16:01
In reality I think it may be a couple of months. The arm takes 6 weeks till the cast comes off then another few weeks while it is pretty weak. The pelvis takes 3 weeks or so until I can walk around comfortably with just a cane.
I dont know yet but I may have shifted the bones out of wack overdoing it on the crutches yesterday...oops. Find out tomorrow when I get a new fiberglass cast. So I think a couple of months till I'm on the road but at least three maybe more until the next trackday! I'm thinking of saving up during that time for a trackbike....dont wont to totally screw up my insurance record.

kiwifruit
12th March 2007, 16:03
ask star if you can buy the wreck for a track bike ;)

redr1
12th March 2007, 16:29
You were looking pretty quick on the track until the mishap. Most unfortunate about the broken hand and fractured pelvis, but I saw the state of the helmut and I think injuries could have been a lot worse. All the best with your recovery mate.

duckaddict
13th March 2007, 11:40
Glad you're ok man! I was on the viewing deck when it happened and I thought it was a minor off as you stood up and walk pretty soon after.

Take it easy!

MSTRS
13th March 2007, 12:29
Hadn't heard about this before. A mixture of good and bad luck for you, eh? Heal well.
That helmet damage is a familiar sight - who'd wear an open face?

V Twin Raver
13th March 2007, 17:46
All the best for the recovery. You had a pretty good pace going before the incident by the way.

GIXser
13th March 2007, 19:07
man i was really bummed when i heard it, but am glad to hear you are semi ok, and healing , hope to see ya back real soon eh..

BarBender
13th March 2007, 19:26
Sorry to hear about your accident mate.
We arrived at the track just as your session started and then I went down about an hour and a half later!

Heal up and rest up. Plenty of riding yet to do.

Tickler
13th March 2007, 19:58
Bummer about the crash, but your still here to tell the story and soon you will be back on two wheels.

All the best mate, and hope to see you back out there soon!