PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones

SPman
19th June 2003, 10:08
Useful information my son sent me....

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Useful info...especially for those of us who have a tendency to </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Courier New'"><TT>lose things in taxis etc etc! Wonder why Telecom &amp; Vodafone have not let this one out of the bag... wouldn't mean that they would lose profit would it ?? </TT>

<TT>To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following </TT><TT>on your phone: <B>star hash zero six hash -</B> <B>( </B></TT></SPAN><TT><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt">*#06#</SPAN><B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"> ).</SPAN></B><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"> A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. </SPAN></TT><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: 'Courier New'; mso-ansi-language: EN-AU; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Courier New'">

<TT>Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. Should your phone get </TT><TT>stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the Sim card Your phone will be totally useless. </TT>

<TT>You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know </TT>
<TT>that whoever stole it, can't use/sell it either. If everybody did this, there would be no point in stealing mobile phones. </TT></SPAN>

Slim
19th June 2003, 12:43
For starters, Telecom don't use SIM cards.

I was quite surprised that the code you supplied actually worked on my Sony Ericsson T60C (I assumed it would be a Nokia code) :) It gives me my ESN number which is only 11 digits long (and broken up on the display for some reason: 3 digits on the 1st line & 8 digits on the 2nd line).

The ESN number is also printed on the bar code on the back of your phone (usually under the battery).

Telecom would bar the phone to incoming/outgoing calls & flag the ESN number (which is loaded in their database linked to the phone number, so you don't have to remember it) as stolen AND put a password on it.

If someone tried to reconnect the phone with a new phone number, the ESN will flag up as stolen & Telecom won't reconnect it to the network.

HTH

Blackbird
19th June 2003, 20:54
It may be slightly off topic, but I wonder how many riders carry cell phones in the front of their riding jackets........ I don't any more.&nbsp;&nbsp;

A friend of mine had a car turn in front of his bike and he hit it and sailed over the roof.&nbsp; His phone must have moved a bit in his jacket because when he hit the deck, the phone went edge-on between two ribs with sufficient force to cause internal bleeding in a lung&nbsp;(shudder). He spent a couple of days in hospital for that, but was only bruised from the crash itself.

A cautionary&nbsp;tale and worth avoiding carrying a phone, pen, garage door opener or stuff like that on your person.&nbsp; I just put them in my pack or under the seat now.

Cheers&nbsp; :done:

bikerboy
19th June 2003, 21:02
Hey Blackbird, good advice.:)

I am/was guilty of carrying all those things and hadn't thought about it really.:o

Now I'll remove them from my jacket:rockon:

MikeL
19th June 2003, 21:25
I have carried my cellphone in a top pocket on occasions, when I haven't had my back pack. Will put it in a side pocket in future - although that's probably not much better...

SPman
19th June 2003, 21:41
I just stick everything in a tank bag - that way Im not carrying anything on me if I come off and bag makes its own way unencumbered by me:)

Antallica
20th June 2003, 06:39
I have mine in it's case cliped to my side. I've already nuked my last phone by doing that when I took a slide.

We need shockproof phones I reckon.

bluninja
20th June 2003, 09:35
My one and only RTA and my mobile was in the tail. I remember looking at my wrecked bike and wondered how I would have got to the phone to call help if there was nobody around. It was pretty irrelevant anyway as the phone, like the bike was snashed to bits. I know put it in my front pocket.

TTFN

bikerboy
20th June 2003, 10:39
Good point Bluninja.:)

:o Now I'll have to give this some serious thought. I hate riding with a pack so pockets were always a good solution. How to keep phone with me but not where it can be damaged.

Coldkiwi
20th June 2003, 17:50
if you have fairly tight pockets on your chest it shouldn't be an issue as the phone will have a hard time sliding end on. i'm always hungry and thirsty though so I always have a back pack! :)

&nbsp;

Dave
21st June 2003, 11:34
Maybe i could Race tape mine to my fairings so i could take calls while i'm waiting on the grid!

bluninja
23rd June 2003, 11:42
Dave, I would have thought your fairings are the last place you would attach a phone:rolleyes: Roll on Manfeild this weekend.

TTFN

Dave
23rd June 2003, 12:16
perfect, As my head goes through the fairings i can call an ambulance.

SPman
23rd June 2003, 18:33
you'd have to use speed dial........:D