PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana bikers face compulsory helmet law

Bob
17th August 2004, 23:53
The merry-go-round of ‘Which states require a helmet’ continues as Louisiana brings in a compulsory helmet law.

The statute now reads "No person shall operate or ride upon any motorcycle, motor driven cycle, or motorized bicycle unless the person is equipped with and is wearing on the head a safety helmet of the type and design manufactured for use by operators of such vehicles, which shall be secured properly with a chin strap while the vehicle is in motion."

A DOT sticker must be adhered to the back of the helmet, and the visor and proper eyewear is also required.

The Louisiana State Police will start enforcing the new law today.

scumdog
18th August 2004, 09:02
Once again the poor cops have to enforce a possibly unpopular law that someone else unilateraly put in place <_<

vifferman
18th August 2004, 09:42
The poor, poor babies! Oh the humanity - having to wear a crash helmet. I'll bet there'll be rioting in the streets, civil disobedience and clandestine helmetless rallies.

I personally couldn't imagine NOT wearing one, whether it was mandatory or not.

Pwalo
18th August 2004, 13:01
I can't imagine riding without helmet, gloves, and boots. Not really sure if I'd feel comfy in an open faced as opposed to a full face helmet.

Still wouldn't have to worry about 'helmet hair', or anything else I guess. Still you have to admire our American cousins, they hate to think that anyone might be stopping them from doing exactly what they want.

I guess there's always the argument about the gene pool being flushed.

rodgerd
18th August 2004, 15:09
I guess there's always the argument about the gene pool being flushed.

That's great, right up until the families sue and lobby motorcycling out of existence for being "unsafe."

toads
18th August 2004, 17:09
I agree with firestormer, I'd wear one whether it was mandatory or otherwise, ditto with seatbelts, you don't have to be very old to know what happens to people in car/bike accidents eh!