PDA

View Full Version : My first road ride

<G>
12th March 2007, 21:03
Got my bike back on Wednesday, went for the usual early morning ride on Thursday. Had a great time, in spite of wobbling out the garage and thinking "oh no, don't tell me it's going to be like this"! Up to 70kms down Chapel Road! However, Friday morning's ride was more like "what the? I've lost the plot!" It's early to rise and too late to bed catching up on me.

Woke up about 4am Saturday, spent the next 3 1/2 hours fretting about the upcoming ride. Nerves are a real pain. We were going out to Maraetai, Whitford then Clevedon and back home. Once we were off the nerves settled down and I started to enjoy myself. Even the downhill, bridge crossing and uphill wasn't as intimidating as I thought it would be! Enjoyed the turns in the road. It was nice to ride in daylight too, although the sunstrike was bad in parts.

Made it to Clevedon where Sue told me we had almost had an accident. I had pulled out to overtake 2 cyclists that were riding abreast when the car behind Sue pulled out and looked like he wanted to overtake me and the cyclists. I remember the car overtaking me at speed, what a wanker, there are crosses on that road (one very personal to me), you would think that people would take note and think twice before doing stupid things.

Anyway, had breakfast at the Wairoa (new restaurant next to Clevedon Pub). Highly recommended. Then back on the bikes and took the other way round to Whitford and back home. Straight into mid morning traffic - that was a battle with nerves but repeating to myself "you can do this, just breathe" helped and I was stoked when we got home. We had done 63kms. Looking forward to my next ride - which is how it should be, hey!

Lessons learned: have to get my mirrors sorted, they are just not doing a proper job. Gear changes are smoother once you get to higher revs. Seems like the Eliminator is quite forgiving, she's a good girl! Very important - look where you want to go.

Hope to attend the BRONZ course on Sunday, the ride out to Whenuapai should be challenging (actually, it's all challenging at the moment because after all I am a newbie) :sunny:

And last but not least a BIG thank you to Sue for riding with me, you are a star!

Scorpygirl
12th March 2007, 21:15
Awesome write-up. Good that you are enjoying it and learning heaps. Me too!!! Unfortunately I won't be able to do the RRRS until April. All the best!:scooter:

Drum
12th March 2007, 21:45
Hey well done Iamanoob...

Great write up and it's good to hear your confidence is increasing.

By the way, have you got a manual for the EL? I've got one in .jpg if you need it (about 10 meg). PM me if you want a copy.

Rosie
13th March 2007, 07:31
You Go Girl!! :first:
Thanks for the write up. It's great hearing what all the other new bikers are up to.
And remember the more you get out and about on the bike, the easier it gets on your nerves.

SpinFx
13th March 2007, 18:40
Way to go noobie2, they say practise makes perfect....... and yes it is just as important to keep an eye out behind than it is to look ahead. Two mirrors are essential for the motorways or multi lane roads. Good luck for the Whenuapai ride.

Leong
13th March 2007, 19:09
Well done. I remember the first time I got up to 70km/h too - it seemed so fast!! Re the RRRS, when I did it, it was the first time I had been on the motorway, but it was very early in the morning so that was fine. If oyu're nervous about your mirrors, then try to get that sorted before the weekend motorway ride.... Bike mirrors aren't ever that great anyway. From my (limited) experience you get accustomed to their limitations, and move your head/elbows etc to get the full picture. Hopefully you'll have someone to accompany you on the ride to and from Whenuapai! Oh BTW, Its definitely worth braving the trip there and back - the group of people running it are really knowledgeable, helpful, enthusiastic and good communicators!