PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha TDM 850/900

SlipperyOZ
12th March 2007, 23:00
Anyone have any experience on this softish dual sport? Biggest selling all roader in many parts of Europe!

The Duck 01
13th March 2007, 08:54
:bye: Hi Slippery,
The TDM was not a big seller in NZ and or Aussie as the biking public didn't understand the concept abit like the T/A,A/T or even the Tiger.
I come across a guy with a 900 in Aussie a couple of years ago and he loved it,so it comes down to the converts or convicts in your case :dodge:
At my age and for the amount of riding i've had the pleasure of doing i recken that you ride what you brung and ride it like you stole it:Punk:
Spaanzy likes them due to the sound they make abit like a Ducati:yes:
I don't know how they go on gravel but hell i reckon it would be better than a Bandit so that's a start.:mellow:
Maybe we should get Spaanzy to cut afew laps on one and give us a report,but to find one in NZ is going to be alittle difficult.
90% rider 10% bike what's one mans meat is another mans poison.I don't knock other people's bikes as hell they bought them for a reason and i don't have to ride them or have them in my lounge.:shit:
I'll PM you soon as i've got the shipping dates :bye:

tipper
13th March 2007, 10:30
spoke to a man at Red Baron (I was aksing the same question), he reckoned they are the ducks nuts, but very rare second hand. 270 degree twin makes em sound, and go like a vee twin.

Jantar
13th March 2007, 10:41
A mate at the Chatto Creek Club has one, and just loves it. He's a bit short arsed and has trouble finding an adventure bike he can fit, yet he rides the TDM OK.

The Duck 01
13th March 2007, 13:56
:yes: Tripper,

Can you leave my nuts out off this thread Please :sick:

But in saying that some people think i've got big ones anyway:innocent:

:bye:

SlipperyOZ
13th March 2007, 23:00
Nice having a chat tonight MT.. Have a few rides lined up for when you come over mate. :scooter: I need to find a second bike, either a DR650 or something slightly more exotic in the Adventure range... Bugger that Tenere went cheap MT! :gob: Hi to Jantar and the SIP crew..

Slippers

oldrider
13th March 2007, 23:09
Shit it's cold down here just now, just as well you guys are not doing the sips at the moment, snow is quite low on them hills! :shit: Cheers John.

warewolf
14th March 2007, 21:32
Anyone here with a TDM? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36037)

TDM850 or DL650? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=38076)

tipper
16th March 2007, 07:46
Anyone have any experience on this softish dual sport? Biggest selling all roader in many parts of Europe!

try this::scooter:
http://www.bikepoint.com.au/portal/alias__bikepointau/tabID__5760/ArticleID__118451/DesktopDefault.aspx

SlipperyOZ
18th March 2007, 00:32
Excellent find Tipper... A good read too! Thanks for that, I have only found one guy who didn't like the handling of the TDM... I like twins so I might get an early 2002 model and make it my project bike :yes: :yes:

scracha
18th March 2007, 10:04
Put it this way, it's the only motorcycle I've had that I would buy again without hesitation.

tipper
21st March 2007, 08:36
Put it this way, it's the only motorcycle I've had that I would buy again without hesitation.

high praise indeed, since every bike is a compromise:
'its gotta do 200+, handle dirt roads, pull chicks, be kind to my back, easy to get in the garage, light on fuel, do 8sec 1/4s, low maintenance, have cool factor.............'

NordieBoy
23rd March 2007, 08:51
high praise indeed, since every bike is a compromise:
'its gotta do 200+, handle dirt roads, pull chicks, be kind to my back, easy to get in the garage, light on fuel, do 8sec 1/4s, low maintenance, have cool factor.............'

Apart from some small details it sounds like a DR650 to me.

tipper
23rd March 2007, 09:22
Apart from some small details it sounds like a DR650 to me.

more like my XT600 with a small screen for the over 40's brigade.

Seriously, I am also considering a TDM, will go for a blat from Henderson MC this weekend, still stugglin' with the compromise thing - I really like the 600 as a 'courier bike' in the city, easy to ride as a :scooter: scooter

cooneyr
23rd March 2007, 10:48
more like my XT600 with a small screen for the over 40's brigade.

Seriously, I am also considering a TDM, will go for a blat from Henderson MC this weekend, still stugglin' with the compromise thing - I really like the 600 as a 'courier bike' in the city, easy to ride as a :scooter: scooter

Been starting late this week and have found that the my DR likes to pretend to be a Mountain bike and use the cycle lanes due to the long (in chch terms) queues. :innocent: Idling along in a queue on the DR gets damn hot!

Cheers R

Oscar
23rd March 2007, 11:00
I had an 850 a while back.
Nice all rounder, great on seal, good on gravel and sand, even easy off road bits...

idleidolidyll
23rd March 2007, 11:11
Great bikes and IMO perfect for NZ roads.

Suspension settings are important though to get the most out of one.
Obviously make sure a used one has been well serviced and if you're doubtful of it at all, get a shop to check it over for you.

I believe the motor had offset crank pin degrees set up to give pretty much the same firing as a 90 degree vee twin and obviously the same kind of torque delivery too.

If you're an experienced rider you'll be able to upset many a sport rider on this kind of bike.

Yes of course I'm biased, count my eyes!

XF650
14th October 2009, 21:55
Old thread but this TM link needs to be posted somewhere:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-247889622.htm

scracha
15th October 2009, 00:29
Old thread but this TM link needs to be posted somewhere:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-247889622.htm
I'd be tempted were rego fees not going up exponentially

george formby
15th October 2009, 09:21
I've got a TDM 850 in each hemisphere & love em I have done 600k+ days in Europe & here. The 18" front wheel & ability to stand on the footrests comfortably make gravel fun. On the tarmac they handle like a big supermoto with more torque. I really do not know what I would replace mine with.
http://www.carpe-tdm.net/ipb/index.php?
All of your questions answered above. Brilliant forum & very helpful members.
The 270o crank makes them sound just like a 900ss.

george formby
15th October 2009, 09:25

Their are quite a few carpe members in Oz. Go to the forum & hunt them down.