PDA

View Full Version : My (new) 5 cents

That Guy
18th August 2004, 10:53
I should've started my first post here but anyway hi there Kbikers - I'm a new member. I've been a bike nut all my life, currently have a VTR1000 (great road bike, easiest bike I've ever had for learning to wheelie on, runs out of gas exactly when I need a rest...out of its depth on a track though - too heavy and soft), YZ250F (for those of you who have only ever riden 2 stroke dirt bikes the 4 strokes have revolutionised dirt biking - you've got try one! I race it at Ardmore mostly - and a bit of other club racing around the country) and finally a new (old) RGV250 race bike. I'm looking to begin my first ever road race this summer, :baby: at this stage R1 & R2 AMCC are going to be out as it looks like I can't make them...so probably I'll get to Taupo for a PMCC race. A whole new game this road racing though - I've done a couple of days at Pukekohe and it is great fun....fast track! Looking foward to cutting my teeth with other members.

Only bike I've ever regretted selling - Duke 748. Expensive to own (but not run comparitivly I found) and in the end it did me having $20k tied up in one bike - but it was sublime - more satisifying than a 916/996 etc for my tastes as you always got to ride the hell out of the engine which made you feel like a hero. Awesome cornering ability too. Like a 4 stroke RGV actually....

Only other thing other members may be interested to know - I used to work for Red Bull Yamaha for a couple of years - actually there are heaps of kiwis working in GP and SBK - I think we're a bit too quiet as I'm sure other kiwi bikers would like to read about their stories and experiences?

Great site.

cheers,
Guy Inglis
Takapuna, Auckland.

Cajun
18th August 2004, 11:01
Welcome Guy Inglis the 748 is one of my dream bikes, like you siad more fun to ride than a 916/996

how long ago did you work for Red Bull Yamaha?

That Guy
18th August 2004, 11:09
Hey Cajun - yup 748s rock. I still think about selling all my bikes to get one again but can't bring myself to do it. In a perfect world we'd keep every bike we ever bought!

worked in the 99 and 2000 season - I arrived and then Simon Crafar left the team which was a bummer - in 98 Crafar was simply awesome. I can watch the video of him kick Doohan's arse again and again at Donington - never tire of watching that race :not: Really sad to see him disappear from the top of racing.

vifferman
18th August 2004, 11:20
Hey Cajun - yup 748s rock. I still think about selling all my bikes to get one again but can't bring myself to do it. In a perfect world we'd keep every bike we ever bought!Hmmm... dunno about that. Maybe you've only ever had good bikes...

Anyway - welcome to KB! I too have a FahrtSturm, and live on the Shore. I'd suggest we go for a ride together sometime, but it sounds as though you'd get bored tootling along with me... :o

That Guy
18th August 2004, 11:33
Hmmm... dunno about that. Maybe you've only ever had good bikes...

Anyway - welcome to KB! I too have a FahrtSturm, and live on the Shore. I'd suggest we go for a ride together sometime, but it sounds as though you'd get bored tootling along with me... :o

Nah I've had some rubbish alright (1982 RM125 srpings to mind) but I'd just like to keep them all for sentimental's sake....

On the road I am a quiet rider - too many cops and too many eeediots trying to kill me...so I keep things in check. Always keen for a blat though.

Cajun
18th August 2004, 12:58
Hey Cajun - yup 748s rock. I still think about selling all my bikes to get one again but can't bring myself to do it. In a perfect world we'd keep every bike we ever bought!

worked in the 99 and 2000 season - I arrived and then Simon Crafar left the team which was a bummer - in 98 Crafar was simply awesome. I can watch the video of him kick Doohan's arse again and again at Donington - never tire of watching that race :not: Really sad to see him disappear from the top of racing.

yeah sad to see him dispear last time i heard he was racing in britsh superbikes or something. Any kiwi kicking any aussies ass is good watching

Motoracer
18th August 2004, 13:18
Hey there, I didn't get to meet you last time when you were at the track but I am sure we will run into each other out there in the future. It'd be real cool to hear more about your experineces with Yamaha racing.

Welcome to KB!

Ms Piggy
18th August 2004, 17:03
Welcome, welcome, welcome - those of us you may not know yet you will come to know and...well either like, love or feel indiffernt about. :niceone:

That Guy
18th August 2004, 17:05
Hey there, I didn't get to meet you last time when you were at the track but I am sure we will run into each other out there in the future. It'd be real cool to hear more about your experineces with Yamaha racing.

Welcome to KB!

Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...I'm only doing 1.15s at the moment (heaps to learn) so you were probably blasting by showing us newbies how to do it.....I actually get almost as much kick out of riding round there as watching 600s and thous' going screaming by knee in the deck, pegs scraping :not: Best seat in the house to watch how it should be done! Especially coming out of the hair pin into the double left (what a hole that is - do you ride round it?) then right over the hill! Wicked. Actually having worked for Red Bull helping someon else go road racing, since I've had a go myself I've now got a lot more respect for them - it's a different kettle of fish from motocross! The sppeeeeeeeeeddd :wacko:

Suffering mechanical problems too that I'm still ironing out. Need to get it sorted before race day!

Zed
18th August 2004, 18:21
Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...
Hi TG & welcome along. :niceone:

Were you out at Pukekohe Open day several weeks ago? If so, what colour leathers were you wearing - blue & white?

Enjoy KB,

Zed

Motoracer
18th August 2004, 18:36
Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...I'm only doing 1.15s at the moment (heaps to learn) so you were probably blasting by showing us newbies how to do it.....I actually get almost as much kick out of riding round there as watching 600s and thous' going screaming by knee in the deck, pegs scraping :not: Best seat in the house to watch how it should be done! Especially coming out of the hair pin into the double left (what a hole that is - do you ride round it?) then right over the hill! Wicked. Actually having worked for Red Bull helping someon else go road racing, since I've had a go myself I've now got a lot more respect for them - it's a different kettle of fish from motocross! The sppeeeeeeeeeddd :wacko:

Suffering mechanical problems too that I'm still ironing out. Need to get it sorted before race day!

I didn't see you that time but Curious George came up to me and introduced himself to me and later on in KB, I found out that you were there as well.

1:15 on a RGV250 for a Newbie?? Shit, mate!! that is flying quick!!! You already have the race pace to begin F3 if you want right now and you'll already be quicker than a few guys there I am sure... You'll have a ball when you start racing mate!!

Errrr... What hole? lol

Two Smoker
18th August 2004, 18:45
Welcome along to the site :niceone: im the guy that usually hangs around MR and at the track, ride a RG150 with black fairing and scraps up the side (bad experience on the hill in the wet LOL)..... 1:15's is awesome :niceone: you should follow Bruno around, he is doing 1:11's on a RGV250

And MR i think he is talking about the bump lol..... I try to cut in hard againt the ripple strip to avoid the bump.... otherwise maybe take a wider line to go around it...... Dont listen to me though, im slow as hell doing 1:20's

FROSTY
18th August 2004, 18:49
welcolm to KB Guy
Bloody hell-1.15 --Um Look -out of concideration for a newbee racer I might "tune" your bike for you pre your first f3 race.
It might SEEM to go slower but thatll only be because I'm just in front showing you round the track.
Seriously dude 1.15 is darn fast for an old RGV

Motoracer
18th August 2004, 18:56
Ohhhh yea... normally I just ride over that but I am not sure what the best way to do it is...

You NEED a fuken bigger bike smoker! Now go work hard and save up for it so that I can test ride your K4!! :yes:

LB
19th August 2004, 05:58
.Hi That Guy - welcome to the KB site. It's a great place.

I think you used to live next door to me for a while in Kelson, you were in the two storey house.

We're still in the same little green house, still into bikes - 2 each now (Hamish has his R1100S and a GS1200SS). I really really really love my Ducs.

When is the Taupo round? I'd like to come up for it.

That Guy
19th August 2004, 09:57
Hey guys - thanks for all the responses - good stuff. :niceone:

anways - Hi lynda - yes indeedy we were until the house got sold so we had to move - you had BMWs at the time - glad to see you've moved into the Docardi world - Monster's rock (good stunt bikes)! I bet Patrick likes you lots if you've bought two from him!

Two smoker you were there when I was - you go hard on that 150 mate - excellent! Good corner speed, just no motor for the straights eh?! Get a K4 and you'll be kicking butt I reckon - 1.20 is pretty fast for a 150 isn't it?

Yeah MR I have gone with Curious George the last couple of times - We're both enjoying learning how to ride properly on a track.

Yes THAT hole that the trucks (so I've been told) ripped into the last left hander before the front straight.....I try a different line every time through that bit and can't seem to get trhough smoothly :crybaby: ......but it sounds like you just keep the throttle nailed and hang on :headbang: .....no good line available.....

Glad to here 1.15s is close enough to the back of the pack - better front up to a race then ......just didn't want to be too much in the way of the leaders.....do they have enough marshalls at club racing to wave blue flags when the leaders come through?

Hey Frosty - unless I've been told porky's the likes of Grant Ramage used to do 1.06s on RGVs (in the days of the proddie 250 championships) at Puke so I think I've still got a long ways to go.....

FROSTY
19th August 2004, 10:14
good onya guy--but dude with NO track experience 115s is pretty fast.
And keep in mind those rgv's were suzuki sponsored "production" bikes.
I remember way back in 89 or 90 -I came round castrol onto the back straight on douggies RGV -(and his was a real crisp bike).
I got a bloody good exit to castrol and shot past one of the suzuki guys.-like I got a bike length jump on him-I think he missed or fluffed a gear change
anyways by the kink he was 4 bikes ahead of me and pulling away.
talk to someone at a bike shop about the "production " parts or adjustments available.
Actually the guy to talk to is Hoon -He just did a season on a rgv250
see what his lap times are

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 10:34
but it sounds like you just keep the throttle nailed and hang on :headbang:

You have discovered my secret. Just wind the throttle back all the way and hold on for dear life. Oh yea, closing your eyes help too LOL

Don't ask me about the flags though. I am such a clown, most of the time I manage to miss them even when they are waved furiously infront of me. Too much concentration on the lines it self I think.

FROSTY
19th August 2004, 12:07
yea MR reminds me --chris costello told me something about that -summat like if he doesn't pay attention to the flags he'll have a new spare leg .
LIL secret --that black and white checkered flag means -stop--ya don't need to carry on. :eek: :eek:

Hoon
19th August 2004, 13:28
Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...I'm only doing 1.15s at the moment (heaps to learn)
Hey wow I have a blue RGV no. 43 too!! And guess what I'm on 1:15s as well!! What are the chances?!?! However I've moved on to a ZXR400 now and am getting a new number from MNZ so no worries.

My RGV was about 20kph down on top end and maxed out at about 180k - rebuilt the engine so it must be an airbox/exhaust problem. To get my 1:15s I was WOT everywhere except the hairpin and end of Jenian thru castrol but I was probably losing 2-3 secs on the front/back straights. It is frustrating passing people on the turns only to get swallowed up again on the straights.
1:15s are pretty much tail end of the field, 1:10s to 1:13's will see you solid midfield (club rounds that is not Nats).
That bumpy pothole repair bit on turn 8 is more psychological than anything else and looks worse than it is. There's another bit of a hump right on the apex of that left turn which I bottom out on every lap. Ends up grinding a hole thru my expansion chamber which I have to weld up every few meets.

That Guy
19th August 2004, 15:19
How 'bout that! :eek: Must be something about blue 43 RGVs eh? :cool2: 43 is the number MNZ gave me when I re-applied for my mx licence and thoguht I'd ask for road too. One cool thing - it is no more expensive to get a road and mx licence as just a mx or just a road licence.

Yeah I figured 1.15 would be at the back but nothing improves you're skill like actually racing.....

I have no idea what I'm doing on the back straight - been having a hesitation problem but on the dyno last week the RGV got 60 rw HP so I figure that's not bad for a 10 year old 250 stroker. When the bike is running properly I get into top a bit before the kink on the back straight - sound about right gearing wise?

Instead of spending more money trying to get more HP I think I'll save that to get a 400 like you've got.

Are you going to race AMCC club round this year Hoon?

FROSTY
19th August 2004, 17:03
60 hp is pretty good given that the quoted best hp for a zxr400 is about that.
Ill be there on the 15th for sure and Im pretty sure Hoon,White trash,Two smoker and Kawa kid will be there too

That Guy
20th August 2004, 15:06
60 hp is pretty good given that the quoted best hp for a zxr400 is about that.
Ill be there on the 15th for sure and Im pretty sure Hoon,White trash,Two smoker and Kawa kid will be there too

Yeah I reckon 60 is plenty - much more will be made up by me learning more. I'll be at the test day on the 4th and if I can get my bike sorted out I'll be having my first go on the 15th (12th I think?) so look foward to meeting you guys.

Actually you may have some ideas:

My bike goes really well right through the gear box. Then on say lap 3 or 4 it will start hesitating and dieing at about 10,000 rpm - falls down to 6,000 rpm or so and then off we go again. Sometime's it doesn't happen at all. Once, it died completly on the back straight and I had loads of fun puching the thing back to the pits :sweatdrop until George resuced me :2thumbsup

I have:
Cleaned out petrol tank and tank filter. replaced breather hose. replaced all fuel lines and cleaned our carb filters. Taken carbs apart and cleaned out jet and bowls etc. Set bowl height. Ensured power valves are adjusted correctly. replaced spark plugs, and plug caps. Ensured battery fully charged (altough it does look old so not sure of it's age)
Then, went out again,
and still problem is there. Since then I have replaced coils and plug leads. I haven't had a chance to test it yet (other than on the dyno where it ran fine) as it needs to get onto the back straight at Puke before it seems to occur. If the coils and leads haven;t fixed it - what would you check next?

Starting to run out of ideas....... :cry:

riffer
20th August 2004, 15:43
what would you check next?

Might be possible you've got a loose terminal in the battery - they can sometimes get loose and give this result. Try replacing the battery too...

Posh Tourer :P
20th August 2004, 21:50
Actually you may have some ideas:

My bike goes really well right through the gear box. Then on say lap 3 or 4 it will start hesitating and dieing at about 10,000 rpm - falls down to 6,000 rpm or so and then off we go again. Sometime's it doesn't happen at all. Once, it died completly on the back straight and I had loads of fun puching the thing back to the pits :sweatdrop until George resuced me :2thumbsup

I have:
Cleaned out petrol tank and tank filter. replaced breather hose. replaced all fuel lines and cleaned our carb filters. Taken carbs apart and cleaned out jet and bowls etc. Set bowl height. Ensured power valves are adjusted correctly. replaced spark plugs, and plug caps. Ensured battery fully charged (altough it does look old so not sure of it's age)
Then, went out again,
and still problem is there. Since then I have replaced coils and plug leads. I haven't had a chance to test it yet (other than on the dyno where it ran fine) as it needs to get onto the back straight at Puke before it seems to occur. If the coils and leads haven;t fixed it - what would you check next?

Look at whether anything is likely to blow around and block air intakes. might just be at high speed...

magnum
23rd August 2004, 20:58
hello and welcome. :sunny:

FROSTY
23rd August 2004, 21:06
Dude id check the CDI box --it sounds like it might be getting hot and breaking down on ya. -when It cools down it might return to normal.

That Guy
24th October 2004, 11:12
Well very pleased to say it is sorted. Turned out to be faulty pick ups in the mag cover. They were breaking down with heat. A fault very similar to coils but there you go. Pretty pleased it wasn't the CDI cause they are $$$. Thanks to George for his spare pick ups!

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:47
Welcome and enjoy :banana: