PDA

View Full Version : Good price for Hornet?

Fostyboy
13th March 2007, 16:42
Hey just been looking at a Mint condition Hornet 250, 1997 with 13000 kms on the clock.

Would $6000 be a good price for it? What kind of money have you other hornet owners paid for yours?

Cheers

gijoe1313
13th March 2007, 21:12
Och! $6000 is a bit on the dear side for 250's, but for a great Hornet, that would be okay money! I paid $5800 for my mint Hornet with twin 'zorsts and aftermarket bling (pegs, bar ends, lights, etc. al)

If you truly love the Hornet, and won't be flicking it off for a wee whiles, go for it! Just make sure it's all tickety-boo (nothing falling off or making wheezing noises!)

The good thing about most Hornets is that they are generally well looked after by their appreciative owners! And oh, yeah - you become part of a select group of twofiddy riders! After all, how many Hornets do you see out there? :msn-wink:

Got any piccies of it?

xwhatsit
13th March 2007, 21:46
13000kms seems bloody low -- you sure it's genuine? But then again, as they always say, look at the general condition, not the kms on it (hell my bike had a genuine 49000kms on it, but it was rooted).

Good thing about the Hornet is that it has a really solid engine; a detuned CBR250 mill, which is an amazing engine to stand up to the abuse of many, many Learner/Restricted hoons for a decade and a half. Also, as GiJoe1313 says, it would seem the Hornet attracts a different level of clientèle compared to the CBR250, one that is much less likely to abuse the shit out of the engine.

Price seems reasonable; people pay more for CBR/ZXRs, it's much newer, but with still a decent portion of the performance; and the Hornet is a bit of a class act, similar sort of 250 status as a VTR, for example.

McJim
13th March 2007, 22:30
the Hornet is a bit of a class act, similar sort of 250 status as a VTR, for example.

The Hornet is a much faster proposition than the VTR - the VTR is the gutless evolution of the Spada (imagine a 43hp VTR250 with an aluminium frame for a moment - mmmmmm......want) The advantage of the VTR is it negotiates the left hand hairpins on twilight road slightly better! :Pokey:

$6,000 dependant on condition is not outrageous - if you don't drop it you might lose only a few hundred bucks over a year.

Deviant Esq
14th March 2007, 02:09
The advantage of the VTR is it negotiates the left hand hairpins on twilight road slightly better! :Pokey:
You mean, left hand hairpins that have a steep earthen bank on the outside of the curve, covered over with native bush, possibly? :dodge: I've heard stories of the Hornet seeing such corners and becoming strangley emotional, wanting to curl into a ball and suck its proverbial thumb... bad past experience, perhaps? :innocent:

Nah, joking aside they're a beaut machine that hold their value well, and are something a bit different from the more common learner machines. They handle well and have good power, but because they're a naked bike and not a mini race rep, you don't tend to get hoons riding them. The odd rider attempts to get them to mate with a fern, sure... :dodge:

gijoe1313
14th March 2007, 10:08
Remember, the Hornet lives up to it's name by wanting to make a nest in it's natural habitat! :whistle: This situation usually occurs when you ride like a nana and not your usual riding style! :o Good thing is that it's made for flying in those impromptu moments and usually ends up safe and sound in the foliage somewhere.

Don't forget, carry a can of bug spray to give it the learn when it wants to buzz off on you!

And of course, if you do get a little ol'Hornet, you will be in good company - of passionate nutters who seem to be in the left field of bikers :innocent: ... Now where can I mount that LCD and PS2 on my little ol'Hornet? :scratch:

crazybigal
14th March 2007, 10:17
sounds a bit much! I just sold my 02 vtr 250 with 12k on the clock for 5 grand.

xwhatsit
14th March 2007, 10:22
The Hornet is a much faster proposition than the VTR - the VTR is the gutless evolution of the Spada (imagine a 43hp VTR250 with an aluminium frame for a moment - mmmmmm......want) The advantage of the VTR is it negotiates the left hand hairpins on twilight road slightly better! :Pokey:

$6,000 dependant on condition is not outrageous - if you don't drop it you might lose only a few hundred bucks over a year.

Lol, I meant it's not some bleeding edge boy racer 250 (ZXR, CBR, GSXR), and it's no cruiser or faired sports-tourer thing like a ZZR. Hornets and VTRs are more of a sporty naked thing, polished and refined and relatively relaxed.

Blind spot
14th March 2007, 11:48
Paid 6000 3yrs ago for a mint one, traded in on new bike and got my 6000 back as trade in price 1 year later.
Bloody great bike IMHO.
have fun

Fostyboy
14th March 2007, 18:42
Check out the blue hornet MC31 on trademe. The one with about 13000km's. That;s the one i've been thinking about.