PDA

View Full Version : Honda Chaly CF50 engines

cooneyr
13th March 2007, 18:21
We've had a Chaly 50 (CF50) floating around for a while and have finally decided to have ago at putting back on the road. Only thing is the motor is kinda sad. I could give it a top end freshen it up but I got the impression from previous enquiries that I have to reg it as a motorbike as the 50cc puts out over 2kw. This being the case was thinking to putting a CT110 or similar new Chinese engine (ex tard me) in it.

I'm guessing it would cost similar to freshen it up as it would to get a chinese engine? Would a Chinese one fit? Anybody done a repower or the freshen up? What you guys do?

Cheers R

delusionz
13th March 2007, 22:26
50cc is fine aslong as its power restricted, its usually not exactly 50 anyways so u can get away with 49cc if u must. It's all on paper anyways really, who's going to check whether you have 1cc too much or not.

Motu
14th March 2007, 06:48
Isn't 110cc bigger than 50cc? Or have I had it wrong all these years?

xwhatsit
14th March 2007, 10:17
No he's saying, that the existing motor in it, despite being 50cc, produces more than the 2kw limit for mopeds. So it can't be registered as a moped anyway, so there's no point in keeping the tiny engine and he wants to put something more powerful in it, like a CT110 engine.

cooneyr
14th March 2007, 10:51
No he's saying, that the existing motor in it, despite being 50cc, produces more than the 2kw limit for mopeds. So it can't be registered as a moped anyway, so there's no point in keeping the tiny engine and he wants to put something more powerful in it, like a CT110 engine.

Your on the money. I have to re reg from scratch so will not be able to get onto he road as a moped so lets get some "ponies" (in relative terms) under there - so will a CT110 fit??? Would like a fully worked pit bike 125 but that is probably kinda expensive for what its going to be used for.

I get the impression that they all have the same gear box casings (although can have 3 or 4 speed with or without auto clutch) just that the top end is different and has different carbies. If this is true then as they use the box casings to mount the engine a CT110 will fit.

Lets refine the questions - does a CT110 have the same gearbox casings as a CF50/CF70? Is it really worth a CT110 or chinese copy or should I just freshen up the top end or or or or should I just try and get a 110/125 top end kit i.e. barrel, piston, head and carbie? Does anybody know of any top end kit suppliers in NZ (I can source a CT110/Chinese copy)?

Help - to many options and too little knowledge!

Cheers R

cooneyr
15th March 2007, 21:35
Tonight I pulled the top end and side covers off the engine. Apart from a carboned up piston and combustion chamer the rest look pretty good - including bore. Other thing i've noticed is that the 86cc chinese motor on trade me is 3.5kw and the standard CF50 engine is suppose to be good for 3.4kw so not actually much to be gained there.

Got me thinking is it really worth a transplant and am I actually allowed to stick a 110 in it even if it did fit. Had a read on the LTNZ (LTSA) site and see that not allowed any bigger in cc without low volume certification. the Chaly's did come out as 70cc's but still not 110cc. Would I get greif putting a 110 in during rereg? Do you know anything about this Motu?

Cheers R

delusionz
16th March 2007, 17:42
Dude, You can register your 50 as a MOPED. You could fit a 70cc crank/piston/barrel/head/manifold kit onto your 50cc transmission case but it wouldn't be worth the cost of WOF and more expensive rego. Not to mention you'd hardly go any faster, still wouldn't take it on the motorway, etc. If you want a motorbike get a motorbike.

If you still want more power from your 50 get a bigger carburettor and keep it as a MOPED.

cooneyr
17th March 2007, 11:06
Dude, You can register your 50 as a MOPED. You could fit a 70cc crank/piston/barrel/head/manifold kit onto your 50cc transmission case but it wouldn't be worth the cost of WOF and more expensive rego. Not to mention you'd hardly go any faster, still wouldn't take it on the motorway, etc. If you want a motorbike get a motorbike.

If you still want more power from your 50 get a bigger carburettor and keep it as a MOPED.

Have checked with both Honda and VTNZ - even though they are a 50 they put out over 2kw hence are registered as a motorbike. Checked to see if chasis number is in the VTNZ system which it is as a motorbike. Unless I want to get low volume certification then cant go above 50cc.

Just went into Casabolts this morning about a new piston/rings etc and gasket kit and got told pretty abruptly going to cost lots (how much lots ffs!!!) and the guy was very unhelpful and grumpy. Not going back there unless absolutly desperate. Trying to convince the wife (Chaly was going to be for her) that not worth the effort and lets look at bikes.

Going to investigate a piston and gasket kit just so I can put it back together - if I can get it to run then all good and well but otherwise will likely end up on trade me.

Cheers R

delusionz
17th March 2007, 11:55
Have checked with both Honda and VTNZ - even though they are a 50 they put out over 2kw hence are registered as a motorbike. Checked to see if chasis number is in the VTNZ system which it is as a motorbike. Unless I want to get low volume certification then cant go above 50cc.

Just went into Casabolts this morning about a new piston/rings etc and gasket kit and got told pretty abruptly going to cost lots (how much lots ffs!!!) and the guy was very unhelpful and grumpy. Not going back there unless absolutly desperate. Trying to convince the wife (Chaly was going to be for her) that not worth the effort and lets look at bikes.

Going to investigate a piston and gasket kit just so I can put it back together - if I can get it to run then all good and well but otherwise will likely end up on trade me.

Cheers R

On my registration papers it has

Make - MOPED
Model - Cruiser
Vehicle Year - 2007
CC Rating - 49
Body Type - MOTORCYCLE
Vehicle Usage - PRIVATE PASSENGER

Theres no body type called "moped" or "scooter", Maybe that's what's confusing you? Honest to god nobody checks your engine size. Power output is never recorded, it's impossible what are they going to do make everyone dyno test their vehicle before they can register it?

cooneyr
17th March 2007, 14:36
On my registration papers it has

Make - MOPED
Model - Cruiser
Vehicle Year - 2007
CC Rating - 49
Body Type - MOTORCYCLE
Vehicle Usage - PRIVATE PASSENGER

Theres no body type called "moped" or "scooter", Maybe that's what's confusing you? Honest to god nobody checks your engine size. Power output is never recorded, it's impossible what are they going to do make everyone dyno test their vehicle before they can register it?

Moped is not a body style it is a class of vehicle i.e. it is a motorcycle that you can ride on a car licence. See this link

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html#isi

Cheers R

xwhatsit
17th March 2007, 15:01
Woohoo! Are you sure you can handle the power, anyway? It looks like a bit of a torque-monster anyway:

cooneyr
17th March 2007, 15:41
Thats the "beast". Slighly newer model as it has different headlight and exhaust. I though it looked kinda retro cool and should be a "little" bit faster than a moped so though what the hell lets see if I can get this on the road for the hell of it and cause it should cost next to nothing. Casabolts have kinda pissed me off at this stage though.

Cheers R

delusionz
17th March 2007, 16:40
Moped is not a body style it is a class of vehicle i.e. it is a motorcycle that you can ride on a car licence. See this link

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html#isi

Cheers R

All 47cc+ motors are capable of over 2kW, That's why they are fitted with restrictors such as exhaust washers, smaller drive gears, CDI rev limiters. It's up to you to make sure these things are still intact *if* it's ever inspected.

cooneyr
18th March 2007, 17:02
All 47cc+ motors are capable of over 2kW, That's why they are fitted with restrictors such as exhaust washers, smaller drive gears, CDI rev limiters. It's up to you to make sure these things are still intact *if* it's ever inspected.

Yer but the chaly was never fitted with the restritors etc in the first place hence is was previously registered as a motorcycle - I've checked.

Cheers R

delusionz
18th March 2007, 17:54
Makes sense now, I would still try to register it as a moped, perhaps the bike is out of tune from age and doesn't produce as much power as it did from the factory. if you are really forced to place restrictors or register it as a motorbike then you could probably go with a LIFAN or LONCIN 110cc or 125cc motor which are Honda replicas and will fit straight on. Try defyindustries.co.nz and newmanz.co.nz for these motors. They are roughly $500 for a full kit and will be well worth what you would have spent in time and money fucking around with restrictors and low power. You will have to weigh up low power, fitting restrictors and no wof/low rego with high power, no legal bullshit hassle but wof / expensive rego.

cooneyr
19th March 2007, 08:36
........... or register it as a motorbike then you could probably go with a LIFAN or LONCIN 110cc or 125cc motor which are Honda replicas and will fit straight on. Try defyindustries.co.nz and newmanz.co.nz for these motors..............

Thanks for those sites- that is good stuff. I don't really want to register it as a moped - I'd rather have a bit more grunt. The only engines I'd seen on trade me I dont know what the brand is and they seem to be doing not much more than the original engine when tuned properly. Will investigate the repowering further - needs certification as larger engine but hope that it is not to much.

Cheers R

far queue
24th March 2007, 11:51
needs certification as larger engine but hope that it is not to much.I wouldn't bother. Just stick the bigger engine in and register it as a stock CF50. When was the last time someone checked that your DR650 actually had a 644cc engine? Very, very unlikely anything will ever come of it.

Or another option ... buy her a CT110 and she can come along on some adventure rides, those things seem to go anywhere :D

cooneyr
24th March 2007, 18:19
I wouldn't bother. Just stick the bigger engine in and register it as a stock CF50. When was the last time someone checked that your DR650 actually had a 644cc engine? Very, very unlikely anything will ever come of it.

Or another option ... buy her a CT110 and she can come along on some adventure rides, those things seem to go anywhere :D

Or a Marshin Cheetah 200! Got Niglep's one today. She is looking forward to getting out there.

R

nigelp
24th March 2007, 22:07
Or a Marshin Cheetah 200! Got Niglep's one today. She is looking forward to getting out there.

R

And a great bike she is! :dodge:

Sorry, just had to put in my 2 cents worth!

far queue
24th March 2007, 22:23

RCool, it'll be good to see her out there ... and I really must get out there for another play in the dirt with you guys sometime soon too.

Sorry, just had to put in my 2 cents worth!Sooooooo ... what are you going to do for a bike now? Are you getting closer to choosing something?

nigelp
25th March 2007, 08:46
Sooooooo ... what are you going to do for a bike now? Are you getting closer to choosing something?

Had a look around the shops on Sat but nothing too my fancy! Would really love a Dakar...time will tell!

cooneyr
25th March 2007, 10:24

Just who sir, are you calling a bike! LOL Seriously it has been riden home and runs like a dream. Kept thinking it is very much like TA's CRF230 interms of power delivery. Guess that is not supprising though.

Cool, it'll be good to see her out there ... and I really must get out there for another play in the dirt with you guys sometime soon too.

I think wifey wants a little bit of practice before we all goes riding. Last time she rode a bike was when she was much younger and put a yamy ag bike through the neighbours fence! Big brother forgot to tell here how to stop! :shutup: I doubt it will be long as she has much better balance on a treadly bike than me.

Cheers R

nigelp
25th March 2007, 17:11
Just who sir, are you calling a bike! LOL Seriously it has been riden home and runs like a dream. Kept thinking it is very much like TA's CRF230 interms of power delivery. Guess that is not supprising though.

My brother in law has a CRF230 and it is very similar powerwise, however the Cheetah has a hell of a lot nicer seat than it! No monkey butt with it! The CRF I think is also slightly heavier tho from memory

newmanz
27th March 2007, 11:41
Hi guys,
Shane here from Newmanz R/C Direct.
Ive used many Chinese engines in projects, there are 2 main brands. Loncin and Lifan. Both are very similar, Loncin being slightly higher quality. In 5 years I have not had to rebuild any Loncin or Lifan engines, never even sold a clutch kit or piston for one yet. It seems only the cheaper "clone" engines give problems. Now as far as Kw ratings go, it is hard to gauge. The Chinese stuff is down on power by Japanese standards but in saying that, the Lifan engines seem almost on par with similar single cylinders, the 125cc and 5 speed 150cc and 200cc being the best. There is also a 3 valve 110cc 4 stroke version.

Cheapest option is go for a Chinese engine, you can even buy a cheap second hand clone off trademe and just put some good parts into it. Parts very cheap.

The Lifan 125cc is the biggest horizontal cylinder model available and quite a good powerhouse.

cooneyr
27th March 2007, 13:00
Hi guys,
Shane here from Newmanz R/C Direct.
Ive used many Chinese engines in projects, there are 2 main brands. Loncin and Lifan. Both are very similar, Loncin being slightly higher quality. In 5 years I have not had to rebuild any Loncin or Lifan engines, never even sold a clutch kit or piston for one yet. It seems only the cheaper "clone" engines give problems. Now as far as Kw ratings go, it is hard to gauge. The Chinese stuff is down on power by Japanese standards but in saying that, the Lifan engines seem almost on par with similar single cylinders, the 125cc and 5 speed 150cc and 200cc being the best. There is also a 3 valve 110cc 4 stroke version.

Cheapest option is go for a Chinese engine, you can even buy a cheap second hand clone off trademe and just put some good parts into it. Parts very cheap.

The Lifan 125cc is the biggest horizontal cylinder model available and quite a good powerhouse.

Thanks for the info. I'd love to have the bike back on the road as a round town toy with a 110cc or 125cc in it but the point was to get a bike for the Wife to learn on. Now that we have the Cheetah 200 the Chaly is no longer needed.

Finally boxed up the old motor (I had the top end off) and put in a corner last night. Will probably be another few years till it appears again. Other priorities now like tuning the suspension of the DR for my ample weight and getting the wife gear, her full license and bigger bike she wants to try before it will get pulled out again.

Sux cause even with all the shagging around it still would have been an awesome and cheep scoot. :bye:

Cheers R