PDA

View Full Version : Lane-Splitting offence

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 16:16
hey guys,
i've just recieved notice from the auckland police that i (my bike) was seen "changing lanes in an unsafe manner and riding between lanes of moving traffic".

This is my first traffic offense since getting my licence (just under 2 years), what sort of fines/punishment will i be looking at?

cheers,
gareth

thanks for all the ideas and information. Called the guy (the cop) today and it turns out he was driving home from work when he saw me, hence no action at the time - anyway he's a dog handler not a patrol officer. Basically he judged what i was doing as dangerous and acted as he saw fit. I got off with a warning after a short lecture. When asked why i was doing it, i commented on aucklands rather crap weather during that week and he seemed to sympathize :killingme , but otherwise was just a good guy making sure that i dont go killing myself in rushhour auckland traffic and causing yet another block up on our shitty motorways!!!
lucky one this time :not:

James Deuce
18th August 2004, 16:21
Arrrrr, that be a hanging offence lad. Arrrrr.

loosebruce
18th August 2004, 16:22
An offence notice (ticket) should've been sent as well, unless they are taking you to court which i doubt, failure to indicate lane change is $150 i think, if they are bastards about it they can put you on a driving charge, careless etc, depends on the speeds you were getting and how fast the moving traffic was going to what charge it would be, if it's your first offence you'd proberly get diverson if you were charged anyway.
Does it say anything about a court summons, or is it just a warning notice?

vifferman
18th August 2004, 16:28
That's an inflammatory sort of statement, innit? Makes you want to go, "Who said they saw it? When?"
"Prove it!"
"What was unsafe about it? Why?"
:ar15: :ar15:

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 16:30
at the moment i just have to tell them who was riding the bike at the time. I was never going more than 10kmh faster than the traffic which is what i normally work to. I think the lane changing is referring to when the traffic spread out and i was moving through the gaps, while indicating accordingly.

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 16:33
lol yeh. I was being cautious about it due to the crappy akld weather. I commute daily to and from school on the shore, and will pass highway patrol cops atleast once a week, in moving traffic, and have never been notified of an offense or had lights flashed or anything. It seems lane splitting is only an offense if the traffic is moving...

Deano
18th August 2004, 16:56
lol yeh. I was being cautious about it due to the crappy akld weather. I commute daily to and from school on the shore, and will pass highway patrol cops atleast once a week, in moving traffic, and have never been notified of an offense or had lights flashed or anything. It seems lane splitting is only an offense if the traffic is moving...

I recently got a $150 fine for overtaking on double yellow lines. I would have considered fighting it but the motorist who complained was an off duty inspector, so I felt I was pretty well fucked.

Have you just got a warning or a ticket ?

Im sure they would need a witness to make a ticket stick.

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 16:59
no ticket or warning. Just a letter to say i need to tell them who was riding (obviously me) or i get up 10g fine etc.

It will either be a complaint from a motorist or caught on video by fuken gay auckland traffic surveilance

k14
18th August 2004, 17:17
I think it might just have been that someone rang *555 and dobbed you in. I know of other guys that this has happend to. Pretty sure that you won't get a ticket.

How long ago was it reported? If it was more than a few weeks just say you can't remember who was riding it.

Zapf
18th August 2004, 17:29
Hi there,
Its is most likely someone dub you in, its a judgement call by them really. Write in and tell them that you were riding at that time, however you do not admitt to any of the allaged charges against you. If they want to take you to court good luck to them in making it stick. PM me if u have more questions.

Cheers
Zapf

wari
18th August 2004, 17:48
NOw thats what I calll a BA-Starde™

I Was lane splitting on the nor'werstern after the resent FA-tality™ JAmmed the place up ... :ride:

PAssed a cop ( I callem #3's® for OBvious reasons ) ...

ANyway itwas tooo late tostop so I just kepted going ... I thought he might RAdio ahead to gitme nabbed ... but passed more #3's® no INsidint reported. :yeah: ... musta bin agoodin.

wkid_one
18th August 2004, 17:56
Woudn't even bother replying to be honest. They will chase you up if it is something to worry about

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 18:17
Woudn't even bother replying to be honest. They will chase you up if it is something to worry about

even with the $10,000 fine and loss of licence for not replying within two weeks....

Mongoose
18th August 2004, 18:18

Do you honestly think this is good advice for a young fella?Seriously?
How about the thought that he does not get aff his arse and answer, may equal one pissed off cop having to chase it up, outcome not as good as fronting up?

wari
18th August 2004, 18:21
even with the $10,000 fine and loss of licence for not replying within two weeks....

STandoverSCaremTacktics® ... :mad:

R6_kid
18th August 2004, 18:26
hmmm, i think i'll just ring up and say i was riding the bike, as there are no charges laid at the moment there isnt too much to worry about but i will post tomorrow night once i have made the call....

Zed
18th August 2004, 18:27
...Write in and tell them that you were riding at that time, however you do not admit to any of the allaged charges against you...
What that man said! :msn-wink:

Zed

aff-man
18th August 2004, 18:30
yip i agree with Zed and Zapf. It was probably someone dobbing you in because they couldn't do it. :mad:

maybe
18th August 2004, 18:36
I would think even in todays climate they would have to have a wittness that was prepared to go to court and give evidence against you, most people will not do that they may say ye but when it comes to the day suddenly remember they had somthing else on.

Zapf
18th August 2004, 19:48
I would think even in todays climate they would have to have a wittness that was prepared to go to court and give evidence against you, most people will not do that they may say ye but when it comes to the day suddenly remember they had somthing else on.

Yep, Garath_d. Make sure you write in. Need the paper trail if it ever happens u want to take them / or them take u to court. And don't give any more information than needed. I know the game fairly well.

Yes. they'll be luckly if the witness ever appears. And if they do, they don't know what they are talking about anyway.

marty
18th August 2004, 20:13
if you do nothing, then you face being charged with 'failing to give details'.

if you write in, and 'without prejudice' admit to riding the bike on date/time, but admit nothing else (don't even say that you weren't laneplitting) the worst that will happen in a $150 unsafe overtaking or lane change ticket. the best is a warning. if they have you on camera (likely) you're nailed. if it's a *555 your chances are better. if it's a 'roadwatch' report you'll get a warning. you are entitled to ask for that information before you admit to riding, as it's your bike involved. contact the cop who's name is on the letter, and ask them for the info, then write your letter.

speedpro
18th August 2004, 21:42
Driving (very slowly) home along the NW motorway about 5pm and who do I see sitting just past the Rosebank on-ramp but someone who looked a lot like my old mate standing beside his police bike. He was concentrating something fierce looking back towards town. Being the cynical bastard I am I immediately thought - "He's looking for bikes splitting lanes the tosser". Anyway I crept about another 50m when this bike goes past with me old mate right behind with the lights going. Next I saw they were down the first left off the motorway at Te Atatu having a chat.

With all the inconsiderate driving that goes on with the traffic from Rosebank 'merging' with the motorway traffic it would make more sence to me to be keeping an eye on that, hard to keep your quota up doing that though, aye!

As Wari's experiance illustrates and my enquiries confirm - most of the HP guys can't be bothered. As my experiance and observations illustrate there is probably only one who does.

chainsaw
18th August 2004, 22:28
if it is an infringement notice, the fine must be specified
a letter saying you have to identify the rider sounds weird - have you read it right?
what section of the transport act or traffic regs sets a 10 grand fine for not replying to a letter that is neither an infringement notice or a summons ?
it should state it on your letter.

for careless use, the burden is on the prosecution to prove your actions were not those of a careful and prudent driver. surely a motorcyclist can manoevre between lanes carefully and prudently. Plead not guilty, play the adjournment game, string it out for as long as you can and they will either lose the file or the cop will be transferred or their evidence (a witness) will not be available.

you have a right to remain silent. I would be interested to know what the statute reference is for demanding identity of a driver / rider if no proceedings have been commenced.

chainsaw
18th August 2004, 22:40
speed camera provisions of the land transport rule create a situation where you can identify another driver if you do not admit liability.

liability is only established if an infingement notice has actually been issued.
as far as i know - there is no offence for failing to reply, the rule makes the registered owner liable unless the notice is defended or another driver is identified as the culpable party, in which case the pigs have to lodge the proceeding again in the name of the other driver.

you are "charged" under summons, for which you face a conviction
for an infringement notice, you are simply "ordered to pay" and there is no conviction.

if it's just a letter - they're just wanking off

I don't think you're under any obligation unless you have been served with a summons or an infringement notice.

Zapf
18th August 2004, 22:51
Ermm.. if this is the case. The ring the courts or the Police who wrote you the letter, and find out under what letter of the law are they requesting for the information and for what purpose they'll be using it.

Mongoose
18th August 2004, 22:54
speed camera provisions of the land transport rule create a situation where you can identify another driver if you do not admit liability.

if it's just a letter - they're just wanking off

I don't think you're under any obligation unless you have been served with a summons or an infringement notice.

Me thinks that the young fella, luckily enough, has enough brains to listen to the advice from those that know.You know, the ones in the job. Perhaps if the whole thread had been read you would have noticed this.
It was stated several times it was not an infringement notice but a Tell us who was riding your bike. And the penaltys for not doiong so were on the letter.

enigma51
18th August 2004, 22:56
This whole lane sharing thing being illegal and dangerous is bull shit. I have been riding for years and to be quite honest I have heard more stories of people that got hit from behind because they were in the middel of the lane than people that got take out cause they are passing a slow moving car in the same lane. I apply the rule that if you are going to pass a car make sure he sees you. Most people give you space in any case. What is the rule on same lane passing thing cause I move between lanes alot cause people drive like shit. I have spoken to a few cops and each one has a different take on it.

scumdog
19th August 2004, 00:18
a letter saying you have to identify the rider sounds weird - have you read it right?
what section of the transport act or traffic regs sets a 10 grand fine for not replying to a letter that is neither an infringement notice or a summons ?

for careless use, the burden is on the prosecution to prove your actions were not those of a careful and prudent driver. surely a motorcyclist can manoevre between lanes carefully and prudently. Plead not guilty, play the adjournment game, string it out for as long as you can and they will either lose the file or the cop will be transferred or their evidence (a witness) will not be available.

you have a right to remain silent. I would be interested to know what the statute reference is for demanding identity of a driver / rider if no proceedings have been commenced.

Woop-Woop-Woop, Danger, Danger, bad advice warning Will Smith!!! could cost you up to $10,000, Danger, Danger!
(You'd have to be a fan of Space Family Robinson (or was it Lost in Space) :confused2 to understand that line :wacko:

aff-man
19th August 2004, 00:40
yeh man i don't know if it is on your letter. But on the back of infringment notices there is a number for any inquiries. I have had to ring it and the person i spoke to was a helpfull enough chap. Just remember to get his name and what he said so you can use it if need be. Always pays to find out what is necessary from the horses mouth aye. :niceone:

loosebruce
19th August 2004, 00:40
Could be wrong on this one, but if it was a *555 call i'm pretty sure they need more than one complaint to make a fine, one night a clown was driving dangerously in my suburb back in welly, called the cops they said that they would need at least two witness's to make a proscution, my mate was there with me and the driver got nailed. I'm sure that if it was only one person that made a call that they can't do anything but give you a warning, if more than one person rang about the way you were driving then yeah.
If it was me i would be ringing them up asking why exactly you got this letter! Don't admit to anything though!

Good luck with it all anyway. Let us know how you get on.

andy1
19th August 2004, 02:23
Chainsaw i totally agree ;)

mongooseeeey tottally disagree with ya dude :shake:

As people have said most cops cant be bothered!
And my best mate is a cop too so.

Let it slide by.

I gotta say tho, WHY dont you block your number plate?????

Mongoose
19th August 2004, 08:46

Let it slide by.

All I can say to this is, take the gamble if you want, but remember all this advice to do nothing, who will come to your aid should it turn to custard? No bugger, there will be plenty of "SHIT, the bastards, never thought they would do that" etc, but you are the poor dude after paying the fine because no one else will help ya

Zed
19th August 2004, 09:22
...I gotta say tho, WHY dont you block your number plate?????
Hi Andy, I take it by "block your number plate" you mean to tape over it so it can't be read? :wacko: Apparently many riders do this in South Africa according to a close source of mine.

The 1 & only reason I can think of for not doing this is that it is ILLEGAL, and if I was the cop who caught you I would throw the book at you!

Zed

scumdog
19th August 2004, 09:25

Let it slide by.

Danger Danger Will Robinson, more bad advice :wacko:

You don't HAVE to be facing a driving charge to be served a notice requiring you to identify the driver of your car at a specific time/place!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's a bit late for him to block his number-plate.

and whose going to help pay the fine when he goes to court for failing to supply details? :brick:

Posh Tourer :P
19th August 2004, 10:50
I'm a fan of going in somewhere to explain your situation. It is harder for people to get pissed off at you if you go in in person. If there is a way to talk to the cop who wrote you this letter, do so, go in, be nice and explain that you were riding, dont admit to anything, but he may be happy just to give you a lecture, or even just say "well, actually we are obliged to send this letter, i thought it was silly..."

andy1
19th August 2004, 12:37
blocking ur number - i mean put ur WOF slightly over one number. Ive actually been pulled over (only because i matched a description of a robbery in the Ellerslie area) As they were writing my details they said my last letter was R but actually it was B :killingme :killingme

Just something you could try. :msn-wink:

scumdog
19th August 2004, 13:44
cam't beat 20-20 hindsight eh people???? :blah:

R6_kid
19th August 2004, 19:19
hey guys,
thanks for all the ideas and information. Called the guy (the cop) today and it turns out he was driving home from work when he saw me, hence no action at the time - anyway he's a dog handler not a patrol officer. Basically he judged what i was doing as dangerous and acted as he saw fit. I got off with a warning after a short lecture. When asked why i was doing it, i commented on aucklands rather crap weather during that week and he seemed to sympathize :killingme , but otherwise was just a good guy making sure that i dont go killing myself in rushhour auckland traffic and causing yet another block up on our shitty motorways!!!

Mongoose
19th August 2004, 19:41
hey guys,

Glad that is all it worked out to be gareth. A lecture costs you nothing but a bit of time, however in this case doing nothing may have cost you a sight more.

marty
19th August 2004, 19:43

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD>

118.http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifOwner or hirer to give information as to identity of driver or passenger—
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(1)http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifIf an enforcement officer (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.enforcement.officer&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.enforcement.officer) has reasonable cause to believe that the driver (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.driver&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.driver) of a vehicle (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.vehicle&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.vehicle) has committed an offence while in charge of the vehicle, the officer may request the owner (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.owner&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.owner) or hirer of the vehicle to give all information in his or her possession or obtainable by him or her which may lead to the identification and apprehension of the driver of the vehicle.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=36></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(3)http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifA request under subsection (1) or subsection (2) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.118-ss.1&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.118-ss.1) may be made orally or in writing and the owner or hirer (as the case may be) must comply with the request within 14 days.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
52.http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifContravening notices, requirements, etc, given or imposed by enforcement officers—

(1)http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifA person commits an offence if the person—
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=72></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(c)http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifFails or refuses to comply with any lawful requirement, direction, notice, request, or prohibition given to or imposed on him or her under this Act by an enforcement officer (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.enforcement.officer&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.enforcement.officer) or a dangerous goods enforcement officer (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.2-ss.1-df.dangerous.goods.enforcement.officer&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.2-ss.1-df.dangerous.goods.enforcement.officer); or</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
(2)http://www.legislation.govt.nz/sdimages/tab.gifThe maximum penalty on conviction for an offence against subsection (1) (http://www.legislation.govt.nz/libraries/contents/om_isapi.dll?clientID=378916119&infobase=pal_statutes.nfo&jump=a1998-110%2fs.52-ss.1&softpage=DOC#JUMPDEST_a1998-110/s.52-ss.1) is a fine not exceeding $10,000.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mongoose
19th August 2004, 19:53
Well done Marty, wonder how many still doubt the valued advice you and others gave now?

marty
19th August 2004, 19:59
probably only chainsaw and andy1.....

spudchucka
19th August 2004, 21:17
STandoverSCaremTacktics® ... :mad:
No, its the law. Section 118 Land Transport Act if you can be fecked looking it up.

spudchucka
19th August 2004, 21:20
yip i agree with Zed and Zapf. It was probably someone dobbing you in because they couldn't do it. :mad:
Didn't he already say it was an off duty dog handler that saw him??

spudchucka
19th August 2004, 21:27
Hi Andy, I take it by "block your number plate" you mean to tape over it so it can't be read? :wacko: Apparently many riders do this in South Africa according to a close source of mine.

The 1 & only reason I can think of for not doing this is that it is ILLEGAL, and if I was the cop who caught you I would throw the book at you!

Zed
A personal favourite - no discretion for those cretins!!

Zed
19th August 2004, 21:39
A personal favourite - no discretion for those cretins!!
I mean, do those cretins not understand that whenever they cover their plate up they are associating themselves with bankrobbers and the like!

Willfully covering your rego plate in my opinion is a serious offense. Can anyone else shed any light on why they do it so carelessly in SA?? :sneaky2: Joni?

loosebruce
19th August 2004, 23:15
I mean, do those cretins not understand that whenever they cover their plate up they are associating themselves with bankrobbers and the like!

Willfully covering your rego plate in my opinion is a serious offense. Can anyone else shed any light on why they do it so carelessly in SA?? :sneaky2: Joni?

Covering your plate is dodge, i had a ROCK bumper sticker over mine for a laugh, but took it off cause i didn't want the hassle, i know of guy in welly owns a 996R who rides it without a plate at all!!! Stopping isn't in his mind i believe. He's a fast rider to go with that, his ran down to the dairy car is a porsche 996 turbo, shit.
As for me i've taken to throwing my bike into a pile of mud caking the entire thing inculding the plate and "forgeting" to clean the plate, you can still read it if you stand next to it.

Good to hear you just got a warning mate.

andy1
20th August 2004, 00:39
In Auckland... some old guy rides a 2002 .... :shutup: with no plate! and a rear SLICK tyre!!! what you think of that Zed.

He went passed me at about 290km on the way to puke for the nationals a year back. When i got to puke i saw it parked up.....

The guys like 50something :shit: :shit:

Mongoose
20th August 2004, 00:48
In Auckland... some old guy rides a 2002 .... :shutup: with no plate! and a rear SLICK tyre!!! what you think of that Zed.

He went passed me at about 290km on the way to puke for the nationals a year back. When i got to puke i saw it parked up.....

The guys like 50something :shit: :shit:

Stupidity has no age limit :crazy:

Vagabond
20th August 2004, 09:43

:banana: I'm an ex S.African and boy can the Boks play rugby :2thumbsup
As for covering plates yea you got the odd balls who did, but are you trying to tell me that no one here has or will ever do it !
Although I must admit I have bent my number plate so as to make it difficult to read, and done my fair share of runners :shake:
Hell Iv'e met a good few bikers here that admit to doing runners, personally I won't do it over here as I do not know the roads well enough, I therefore ride with a detector.

Just to make it a little clearer the traffic cops in S.A. do tend to target bikers, the local back there used to stop me every time he ever saw me and then proceed to check everything, hell he might as well have given me a WOF test everyday :doh: And yes I eventually got pissed off and then decided it was time to do runners I must have done about 10 or 15 from him alone, and no he never ever caught me, nor did the others :thud:

Coldkiwi
23rd August 2004, 13:19
hmm... I've often wondered why I haven't had to post this thread before! Its been a damn interesting read and I may have to book mark it given that I'm almost always lane splitting on my commute to and from work (stupid southern m'way traffic).

No substitute for spotting the cops first guys. Keep those eyes peeled for idiots and police at all times :)

marty
23rd August 2004, 15:08
no problem andy1. no - i mean it, no problem

andy1
23rd August 2004, 16:55
HuH?????? :spudwhat:

Motoracer
23rd August 2004, 17:07
Two smoker has even chatted to that dude Andy...

Motoracer
23rd August 2004, 17:17
P.S. If you are gunna put a tape over the Rego #, you might as well take off the whole bloody thing!

Either way, if you get snapped it's just as bad but atleast with out a plate, it looks way meaner! :cool2:

Coldkiwi
23rd August 2004, 17:38
yeah, but at least if the rego tag is hanging over, you can possibly play stupid and say 'oh, i didn't realise it had fallen down'. claiming your plate fell off without you noticing might be a bit harder!

MacD
23rd August 2004, 18:03
yeah, but at least if the rego tag is hanging over, you can possibly play stupid and say 'oh, i didn't realise it had fallen down'. claiming your plate fell off without you noticing might be a bit harder!

About 10 years ago somebody nicked the rego plate off my bike while it was parked at work! Although I did spot that it was missing before I rode home, if I'd walked up to the bike from the front I'd never have noticed. I rode home wondering if a cop would believe me if they pulled me over? Fortunately I didn't have to find out the answer to that question! :innocent:

Lou Girardin
23rd August 2004, 19:41
Of course, your WOF holder could be mounted so that it 'accidently' loosens and covers part of the plate. And even if some tuber does take exception to it, I'm sure that the infringemnet bureau or the courts would see such nit-picking for what it is.

scumdog
23rd August 2004, 20:22
Of course, your WOF holder could be mounted so that it 'accidently' loosens and covers part of the plate. And even if some tuber does take exception to it, I'm sure that the infringemnet bureau or the courts would see such nit-picking for what it is.

'Course it still means that from time to time you'll get pulled over and the obscured number plate "discussed", on the other hand if you plate was not covered AND you rode reasonably there is less likelyhood of "interuptions" to your ride, - just my 2 cents worth :ride:

Coldkiwi
24th August 2004, 13:15
quite right scumdog. But I think lane splitting is reasonable where I can tell that some car drivers don't agree by the way they try to crush me as I go past!! and if an HP monkey has had a bad day cause he can't reach his quota, who knows WHAT he might think is reasonable riding!

rodgerd
24th August 2004, 13:40
About 10 years ago somebody nicked the rego plate off my bike while it was parked at work! Although I did spot that it was missing before I rode home,[...] I rode home wondering if a cop would believe me if they pulled me over? Fortunately I didn't have to find out the answer to that question! :innocent:

I think I'd ring the cops and tell them about the theft. If anyone puled me over, I'd refer them to the control room...

Although some times they're the least bright cops, the ones on t'other end of the phone. I was heading home about 6 months ago, and noticed one of the silver SV650s that parks on Mercer Street had the keys in the ignition. I rung it in and suggested the guy might want to notify the owner. He said something to the effect of, "I don't know his number"; I pointed out that he ought to be able to look up the address it was registered to and let them know.

Blakamin
24th August 2004, 14:12
hehehehehe

spudchucka
24th August 2004, 14:18
quite right scumdog. But I think lane splitting is reasonable where I can tell that some car drivers don't agree by the way they try to crush me as I go past!! and if an HP monkey has had a bad day cause he can't reach his quota, who knows WHAT he might think is reasonable riding!
I don't normally pay attention to anything relating to Highway Patrol but I was talking to one HP cop I know the other day who said that they don't have any personal performance targets at all in terms of tickets, (quota). He said that his boss has told them that their role is that of providing a deterent and that their primary role is to be present and visible on the roads.

riffer
24th August 2004, 14:19
I don't normally pay attention to anything relating to Highway Patrol but I was talking to one HP cop I know the other day who said that they don't have any personal performance targets at all in terms of tickets, (quota). He said that his boss has told them that their role is that of providing a deterent and that their primary role is to be present and visible on the roads.
Sounds good. If they stick to that they'll have my respect.

Funkyfly
24th August 2004, 16:43

That does sound nice, but im damn sure i heard on the news or read in the paper that they are expected to write a ticket at least once an hour.

Then i read an article in the latest AA mag i think or was it driver? man my memory is bad, anyhow it was stating that they plan to issue more tickets to cover loss of funding or something.

I know you cant believe everything you read but there must be some truth to some of it.

Joni
24th August 2004, 17:01
Willfully covering your rego plate in my opinion is a serious offense. Can anyone else shed any light on why they do it so carelessly in SA?? :sneaky2: Joni? [/QUOTE]

Well Zed, the logic (if thats what it is?!!!? :wacko: ) Is that if you clocking 250 - 300kms on the freeway, no cop is gonna catch you, and they can't book you later as the plate dont match up....

Its a common thing back home, the guys have permanent plate "marks" - that does not mean I think its the way to go, my buddy Graham on his blackbird would have 10 other reasons to give you, I just dont know them.