PDA

View Full Version : Time for an upgrade - yup passed my 6F test!

nigelp
13th March 2007, 20:20
Well despite the weather doing its best to p*ss on my parade, I managed to pass my full license test this morning. A big thanks goes out to the prick in the white commodore who tried to run me off the road! It has taken my 8 years between learners and full! A long time!

So, as I am now not restricted by cc rating I have decided to upgrade my bike. I have it in my head that around 600cc will be a good step up and I want something that will handle gravel roads and the odd mud patch but also can clock up a few miles 2 up. I do like the look of a F650 Dakar that is on trademe at the moment, but then I also thought about the DR650 as they are very nicely priced and seem relatively reliable (from the accounts of the many riders with them on here). I am looking at spend $8k max, any others that I am missing out on? I have decided that I will get a full on 2T motox bike to satisfy my full on off road excursions. I like the riding position of big touring bikes.

Please impart your wisdom on my for any other suggestions.:Punk:

Thanks

zaq
13th March 2007, 20:28
Congratulations on passing the test! Ride safe and enjoy yourself now!!!

laRIKin
13th March 2007, 20:31
Well done.

nigelp
13th March 2007, 20:42
Thanks guys, huge weight off my shoulders. Had a moment last night when I didnt think I would get there, bust indicator bulb and no shops were open! Not good when you have an 8am test!

Transalper
13th March 2007, 21:08
You really do need to take the ones your interested in for a test ride.

Drum
13th March 2007, 21:12
Well done. A long time coming!

far queue
13th March 2007, 21:16
So, as I am now not restricted by cc rating I have decided to upgrade my bike. I have it in my head that around 600cc will be a good step up and I want something that will handle gravel roads and the odd mud patch but also can clock up a few miles 2 up. I do like the look of a F650 Dakar that is on trademe at the moment, but then I also thought about the DR650 as they are very nicely priced and seem relatively reliable (from the accounts of the many riders with them on here). I am looking at spend $8k max, any others that I am missing out on? I have decided that I will get a full on 2T motox bike to satisfy my full on off road excursions. I like the riding position of big touring bikes.For an extra $995 you could have a brand spanking new DR650 - however what sort of 2 up riding are you thinking of doing and how far? Pillion's I've taken have preferred the DR to a sports tourer (GSX750 & Duc) due to the seat being all one level and the rider sitting upright, so the pillion gets better protection from the wind, also the power of the DR is less aggressive making the ride more relaxing for the pillion. But the seat is real uncomfortable for the pillion over any distance - like 80km plus, and there's not a lot of room on the seat for the rider with a pillion on the back. So, it's fine 2up round town, out to Diamond Harbour, that sort of thing, but you won't be popular going too much further. The Dakars seem to be good bikes, I don't what they're like for pillions.

Also, have a read of this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33922) and this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28824).

far queue
13th March 2007, 21:18
You really do need to take the ones your interested in for a test ride.Oh, and what he said. Go and ride everything you can, whether you're really interested in it or not, you might be surprised at what you end up liking ... and take your pillion if their opinion is important to you.

Ruralman
13th March 2007, 21:24
[QUOTE=nigelp;973634]Well despite the weather doing its best to p*ss on my parade, I managed to pass my full license test this morning. A big thanks goes out to the prick in the white commodore who tried to run me off the road! It has taken my 8 years between learners and full! A long time!

So, as I am now not restricted by cc rating I have decided to upgrade my bike. I have it in my head that around 600cc will be a good step up and I want something that will handle gravel roads and the odd mud patch but also can clock up a few miles 2 up. I do like the look of a F650 Dakar that is on trademe at the moment, but then I also thought about the DR650 as they are very nicely priced and seem relatively reliable (from the accounts of the many riders with them on here). I am looking at spend $8k max, any others that I am missing out on? I have decided that I will get a full on 2T motox bike to satisfy my full on off road excursions. I like the riding position of big touring bikes.

Congrats on your license

Add the Transalp 650 to your list - it does the gravel well and the 2 up OK, has better weather protection than the others you mention, but forget the mud unless you put on really good/appropriate tyres. I'm like you re having a serious off road toy for the really good stuff.
My Transalp could be for sale in the coming months if things come together as I hope and I move up to a bigger machine. PM me if interested.

nigelp
14th March 2007, 06:30
For an extra $995 you could have a brand spanking new DR650 - however what sort of 2 up riding are you thinking of doing and how far? Pillion's I've taken have preferred the DR to a sports tourer (GSX750 & Duc) due to the seat being all one level and the rider sitting upright, so the pillion gets better protection from the wind, also the power of the DR is less aggressive making the ride more relaxing for the pillion. But the seat is real uncomfortable for the pillion over any distance - like 80km plus, and there's not a lot of room on the seat for the rider with a pillion on the back. So, it's fine 2up round town, out to Diamond Harbour, that sort of thing, but you won't be popular going too much further. The Dakars seem to be good bikes, I don't what they're like for pillions.

Also, have a read of this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33922) and this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28824).

Yeah have had a read of those threads, I do want something that can handle a decent two up weekend excursion and not have too much monkey but afterwards! How keen are the shops to let someone go in and have a test ride of their bikes?

I also noted in the other threads that some of the big singles give some pretty (good?) vibrations, are there many twin cylinder adventure type bikes out there?

Deviant Esq
14th March 2007, 06:51
DR650 at $8995 brand new would be a pretty compelling buy. Wonder how much you could bargain it down? Or get off for your trade in? Or could you find an 03 or something for around $6k?

Congrats on getting your full mate... and good luck with your next mount! :rockon: