PDA

View Full Version : Too much twist in throttle...

hellnback
14th March 2007, 08:04
The wife has got a '88 GSXR250 with a 400 jammed into it. I've been commuting to work on it after my mishap (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=44627)!
Anyways have noticed to get it to full throttle I have to twist, then adjust my hand and twist again.... bloody annoying. Feels like the grip goes round near 360deg. There is no play in it, so I'm assuming that there is more movement required in the 400 carbs than the 250. Any ideas on an easy way to fix this?

Cheers.

imdying
14th March 2007, 08:19
You could pack under where the throttle cable wraps around the throttle tube with a 2mm spacer. This gives the throttle tube effectively a larger circumference and radius, meaning less twist for the same pull.

bugjuice
14th March 2007, 08:23
ditto.. was gonna say the same
or at the carb end if that's easier. The idea is to magnify the movement one way or another

TerminalAddict
14th March 2007, 08:46
create a "throttle cable" gearbox of sorts

avgas
14th March 2007, 09:02
Shorten the cable - you dont need that first half anyway ;)

imdying
14th March 2007, 09:07
Shorten the cable - you dont need that first half anyway ;)I don't think he wants the idle being at what was once half throttle :no:

avgas
14th March 2007, 09:10
I don't think he wants the idle being at what was once half throttle :no:

makes things really exciting! *pt

hellnback
15th March 2007, 08:13
You're half right, I don't need the first half for booting it, but it does come in handy when changing gear and slowing down!!!

Will pull it to bits and try and fit a bigger -pulley thingy- into the throttle box, if it doesn't fit I might just try and get a 400 throttle assembly.

vifferman
15th March 2007, 08:17
Buy a quick-turn (quarter-turn or whatever) throttle. Effectively does what you want (larger pulley) without all the pissing around.

rogson
15th March 2007, 09:03
I had the same problem with one of my bikes.

I took my throttle tube (and some calipers - for measuring with) to the wrecker on Barrys Point Rd and asked to look in his box of throttle tubes (its a big box).

After sorting through about 100 tubes, I found one with the same cable termination arrangement and flange (so it fitted in my switch block/housing), but with a 3mm (from memory) larger diameter where the cable lies. It even had the same style/pattern grip I had on my tube.