PDA

View Full Version : Fitted a Yoshi TRC to my 750k6 at weekend

Fat Tony
14th March 2007, 21:30
I fitted a carbon Yoshi TRC half system to my 750k6 on Friday and thought I'd post up some pics and info for anybody that's interested. There's also a video comparing the stock exhaust with the TRC with and without baffle here: http://www.bonemachine.com/video/stock-trc-baffles.html

I'd expected the TRC to be quite a bit louder than it is, even though it is fitted with a baffle (not road legal, and not removable without damaging it). I'm not sure if I'm a little disappointed if I'm honest... I'm not sure if it's actually quieter than the (excellent sounding) stock can until the upper rev range when it sings very nicely. Having said that, I've put about 250 miles on since filming the video and the TRC is becoming more vocal now :)

It may be in the mind, but the TRC does seem to have released a bit more power from the motor. Haven't had the bike on a dyno at all so can't confirm that. The fueling feels spot on.

For anybody that's looking to fit one: the Yoshi instructions don't tell you that there's a removal bracket mounted on the bike that the collector box fastens to on the left hand side of the bike. You need to take this off (2 allen bolts) as it fouls the link pipe. Being something of a mechanical novice (ok... numpty) I sat there scratching my head for 5 minutes, and cursing Yoshi for sending me the wrong pipe

Other than that, and the pain in the knuckles that loosening the header bolts involves it was a pretty simple job.

Also worth noting is that if you've got big feet and ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs, then your heels may well catch on the top side of the can. I have UK size 8 feet and they just catch the can if I get my footing wrong.

Deviant Esq
14th March 2007, 21:58
Looks nice mate :) I always thought the stock can sounded pretty good. The Yoshi is quieter at tickover, but under load and higher revs I thought it sounded great, more of a racebike sound :) And if you think you've got a teensy bit more power as well that's not a bad thing. You were a bit disappointed because you were expecting to be louder... that bike's loud enough, wanna attach a megaphone to it?! It does sound a bit sweeter with the Yoshi on it. Looks pretty upright though doesn't it?

Fat Tony
14th March 2007, 22:21
It does sound a bit sweeter with the Yoshi on it. Looks pretty upright though doesn't it?

I hoped that the lack of chicken strips would address the bike's uprightyness :msn-wink: The BT014s get some bad press over here but I'm more than happy with them... it was no more than about 10 degrees when I went out for a ride and to do the photos at weekend (of course the lack of your extra ballast on the bike helped :lol:)

Deviant Esq
14th March 2007, 22:30
Hey, you shush about my ballast... :o

I meant the can looks rather more vertical than the old one did.

Fat Tony
14th March 2007, 22:37
I meant the can looks rather more vertical than the old one did.

:doh: I knew that!

Yeah it does, I love the way it sweeps up :)

hurricane_r
14th March 2007, 23:16
that exhuast / bike is sick!

Back Fire
14th March 2007, 23:28
you can remove the baffle if you want to... it doesn't damage the pipe... just involves a little bit of effort...

just copy and pasted this from another forum site...

"I just went through this with my TRC slip on. There is a small allen wrench in the end of it. The bitch of it is you have to drill out all the pop rivets on the end cone. Once you drill out all the rivets, the cone has silicone on it. A razor works the best to slide under the can and the end cap. Pull the end cone of the exhaust off. Take the allen wrench out. Grad the insert with a set of channel locks and it should pull right out. you may have to twist it but it will pull right out. It's only about 6 inchs long. MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Well worth it."

I have a carbon TRS myself on my K6 1000 that uses the exact same baffle... its a piss load easier for me, but I can vouch for it making a hell of a difference to sound and volume, really gives it a deep grunt and lots of volume, nothing like with it in.

xwhatsit
14th March 2007, 23:40
you can remove the baffle if you want to... it doesn't damage the pipe... just involves a little bit of effort...

just copy and pasted this from another forum site...

"I just went through this with my TRC slip on. There is a small allen wrench in the end of it. The bitch of it is you have to drill out all the pop rivets on the end cone. Once you drill out all the rivets, the cone has silicone on it. A razor works the best to slide under the can and the end cap. Pull the end cone of the exhaust off. Take the allen wrench out. Grad the insert with a set of channel locks and it should pull right out. you may have to twist it but it will pull right out. It's only about 6 inchs long. MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Well worth it."

I have a carbon TRS myself on my K6 1000 that uses the exact same baffle... its a piss load easier for me, but I can vouch for it making a hell of a difference to sound and volume, really gives it a deep grunt and lots of volume, nothing like with it in.

Do NOT ever take advice about exhausts from any man named `Back Fire' :D

Fat Tony
14th March 2007, 23:49
"I just went through this with my TRC slip on. There is a small allen wrench in the end of it. The bitch of it is you have to drill out all the pop rivets on the end cone. Once you drill out all the rivets, the cone has silicone on it. A razor works the best to slide under the can and the end cap. Pull the end cone of the exhaust off. Take the allen wrench out. Grad the insert with a set of channel locks and it should pull right out. you may have to twist it but it will pull right out. It's only about 6 inchs long. MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Well worth it.", really gives it a deep grunt and lots of volume, nothing like with it in.

Cheers for that mate. I'd read mixed reports on gixxer.com about whether you could or couldn't do it. I'm going to leave it in for 1000 miles and see what difference a bit of carboning up makes. I read that the early TRCs for the k6 bikes came without the baffle, but they since started fitting them because once 'worn-in' they were getting too loud... we'll see. Good to have those instructions handy though for if I decide to run it without.

I ran a carbon tri-oval on my gsxr600k4 and loved the sound that developed over the 33000miles I put on it without repacking it :innocent:

Too loud attracts way too much attention over here unfortunately... well it did until they replaced all the traffic cops with static cameras :lol:

limbimtimwim
15th March 2007, 06:25
Do you have to remove the pillion pegs to get that can on? Just looking at that bracket..

Looks great. Really great.

Fat Tony
15th March 2007, 07:31
Do you have to remove the pillion pegs to get that can on? Just looking at that bracket..

Looks great. Really great.

Cheers. You can fit it with or without the pillion pegs mate... it comes with a couple of spacers and longer pillion peg mounting bolts. I chose to fit it without for now so I didn't have to take Deviant Esq out on the back of the pike again :msn-wink:

Matt Bleck
15th March 2007, 07:54
Thats Phat Tony!!! (pun intended) :p

vifferman
15th March 2007, 08:02
I'm not sure if it's actually quieter than the (excellent sounding) stock can until the upper rev range when it sings very nicely. Having said that, I've put about 250 miles on since filming the video and the TRC is becoming more vocal now :)
That'll be the packing settling down.
It's a very nice looking can BTW. :niceone:

skelstar
15th March 2007, 08:14
Thats a great looking muffler dude. Very nice.

Buy one LBTW!!!

Fat Tony
15th March 2007, 20:34
Buy one LBTW!!!

+1 (10 chars)

Fat Tony
3rd May 2007, 07:15
Just an update for anybody that's interested.

A few weeks ago I attacked the carbon end cone with a drill so it's now sporting a nice little (about 8mm) hole directly underneath the 'noise reduction insert' retaining bolt. I'm still hunting around for the perfect fitting bung for the hole, but to be honest the hole isn't that noticeable anyway

As for the sound of the TRC without the insert? Sex! :) Sounds bloody fantastic, slightly louder than the carbon tri-oval race can I had on my previous bike.

Takes a matter of seconds to remove/refit the insert and there are no noticeable glitches in the fueling either with or without.

Well happy :)

Comparison video to follow

Grahameeboy
3rd May 2007, 07:27
Wierd they don't have a removable baffle....my Arrows have one...well 2 actually to get around the EU Regs.

Tis 'Baffling' eh.....:laugh: :laugh:

Fat Tony
3rd May 2007, 07:34
Tis 'Baffling' eh.....:laugh: :laugh:

:shutup: :shutup: :shutup: ;)

I think that the stainless and titanium versions of the TRC have the hole predrilled for access to the retaining bolt, just the carbon one that they chose to make tricky. Possibly for a reason that I'm yet to discover... like it weakens the end cone and I'll walk in to the garage one morning to find a pile of CF on the floor :innocent:

Grahameeboy
3rd May 2007, 07:40
:shutup: :shutup: :shutup: ;)

I think that the stainless and titanium versions of the TRC have the hole predrilled for access to the retaining bolt, just the carbon one that they chose to make tricky. Possibly for a reason that I'm yet to discover... like it weakens the end cone and I'll end walk in to the garage one morning to find a pile of CF on the floor :innocent:

Makes puurrrfect sense to me......

notasothers
18th May 2007, 21:37
Looks sexy... im waiting for my new carbon pipe to arrive from the states. It's not a yoshi but hopefully looks just as good.

Fat Tony
3rd September 2007, 22:42
Just a quick post to let anybody that's interested know that the video has now been updated and shows a comparison of the stock can and the Yoshi TRC with, and without, the baffle... oh and lots of smoke... I love special effects me... oh and using too much grease and wd40 and stuff on things that are going to get very hot... wife nearly called the fire brigade out :innocent:

http://www.bonemachine.com/video/stock-trc-baffles.html

boomer
3rd September 2007, 23:34
i've always thought that the stock can on the newer 750's sounded mint as is.. they don't sound like stock cans. i was just chattin to Enigma about this a couple of weeks ago.

Still, nice work and the yoshi's do get louder as they get dirtier !!!

hey, it could be worse and you could be in my shoes.. havin a pipe thats too loud and havin to scoot round town in 6th and still setting all the car alarms off and havin people stop to look at what unearthly noise is coming down the road ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20YGmEHBfBY

Fat Tony
4th September 2007, 01:47
i've always thought that the stock can on the newer 750's sounded mint as is.. they don't sound like stock cans. i was just chattin to Enigma about this a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah the stock can sounds sweet. Ran with one for about a year and then wanted something different... as you do :innocent: Castle Combe race circuit have been turning away k6/7 gxrs and r6's with stock cans on because they exceed the noise limit there :shit: Mind you, they're anal about it there.

You're running a growler then eh? Nice. Very nice. That was top of my list actually but hell they're expensive, and hell they're loud :lol: Too loud for me around here. I'd be picking up £30 fines everytime I went out... they're having a real clampdown on noisy cans here at the moment... all in the name of safety of course :angry:

Gremlin
4th September 2007, 02:41
You're running a growler then eh? Nice. Very nice. That was top of my list actually but hell they're expensive, and hell they're loud :lol:
The optional baffle makes it quite normal, like a loud normal can, with a real nice sound. The baffle is also much easier to insert/take out, as its an extra :lol:

F5 Dave
4th September 2007, 16:10
I'm a bit perplexed. On one hand my initial reaction was I like the can. But then I changed my mind re the angle it is mounted on. It just looks wrong to me, but that seems to be just what attracts others so lets call that subjective. Possibly it gets a better sound reading pointing up that way if the meter in particular tests are behind the bike?

Ideally if you were concerned about top speed you would not angle a pipe like this as the plume would disrupt the airflow over the bike. Most top level race systems are angled so the plume is directed directly into the wake ie: horizontal and maybe slightly in.

Not that matters on a roadbike, just spewing useless bile.

sAsLEX
4th September 2007, 17:42
I'm a bit perplexed. On one hand my initial reaction was I like the can. But then I changed my mind re the angle it is mounted on. It just looks wrong to me, but that seems to be just what attracts others so lets call that subjective. Possibly it gets a better sound reading pointing up that way if the meter in particular tests are behind the bike?

Ideally if you were concerned about top speed you would not angle a pipe like this as the plume would disrupt the airflow over the bike. Most top level race systems are angled so the plume is directed directly into the wake ie: horizontal and maybe slightly in.

Not that matters on a roadbike, just spewing useless bile.

Ducati Desmodeci. Motogp rep puts the plume upwards into the turbulent air just behind the bikers back, kinda like Base Bleed used in Artillery shells...... kinda.

kiwifruit
4th September 2007, 17:59
Pipe looks good :yes: :niceone:
You are taking the piss about being more than happy with the BT014s tho aye?

Fat Tony
4th September 2007, 19:46
You are taking the piss about being more than happy with the BT014s tho aye?

They get a right slagging off the 014s, I never had a problem with them at all in wet or dry, on road and track, but loads of people hate the things :blink:

I switched to Pilot Power 2CTs last time they needed changing to see what all the fuss was about and they took some getting used to... the rear moves around a bit more than the 014 ever did, or maybe it's just that the feedback is better? Hell, I dunno. Getting on with them fine now though :2thumbsup and they sure as hell give more mileage for the same level of grip as the 014s

Either way, the front Michelin was recalled a while back due to the delaminating problem. Not a good year for Michelin eh? Still, at least they're doing well in motoGP ;)

boomer
4th September 2007, 20:35
i had the oem 15's on th gixxer and although they didnt really get a work out i liked the feel more so than the pilot powers; still im starting to give myself frights with cold tyres on this bigger bike for sure..

ps... did i tell ya teh Dunlops are the bizznus:shifty:

pps.. Gremlin, it seems i've just scored myself a baffle, so if the coppers do pull me up i'll just show 'em it, after i take it outta the glove compartment; where it'll be nicely wrapped up in my pink frilly panties :woohoo:

Deviant Esq
18th September 2007, 00:14
http://www.bonemachine.com/video/stock-trc-baffles.html
I bet the neighbors loved you after the making of that vid! :shutup:

Gonna bring the can over to NZ with ya? :Police: :eek:

Fat Tony
18th September 2007, 01:36
I bet the neighbors loved you after the making of that vid! :shutup:

Heh, I didn't go about 10k rpm... I'm considerate I am :bleh:

Gonna bring the can over to NZ with ya? :Police: :eek:

Most likely mate. Still undecided on bringing the bike over... might just be easier to buy another one when we get there... though it'd be nice to keep it for the track and buy another one on arrival :lol:

Sorry I didn't reply sooner... just been out in my lunch hour to pick some Promach rearsets up that I won in an auction on ebay :niceone:

Kendog
18th September 2007, 06:11
Sorry I didn't reply sooner... just been out in my lunch hour to pick some Promach rearsets up that I won in an auction on ebay :niceone:

Ohhhh :niceone: pictures and a report when these are fitted please.

Fat Tony
18th September 2007, 19:34
Ohhhh :niceone: pictures and a report when these are fitted please.

IF they're fitted :rolleyes: They came without instructions so I'm making it up as I go along... I spent last night trying to work out where the various fasteners that came with them are supposed to go... "now then, should I use one of the spring or plain washers for that bit?" "Wonder what that's for?" "Sh*t, 5 pieces left over" :lol:

(Looks pretty simple... I'm pretty simple :wacko: so should be suited to the job)

robertydog
18th September 2007, 19:36
Thats bloody smart