PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Sprint ST, especially as a 2up tourer.

Templar
15th March 2007, 15:11
Just hoping for some specific feedback from anyone here with 2up experience on the newer Sprint STs.

I am planning on doing a round the whole of NZ tour at the end of the year, and my G/F is dead keen on coming with me. I don't have the bike I am going to use for this yet, but my heart is dead set on getting an 07 Sprint ST. I'm not sure why I feel such an affinity for this machine but I have to say it was love at first site. I have not even ridden one yet :whistle:

From everything I have read from trolling the internet for reviews and comments, I'd be doing pretty well with this as a tourer. Everything though has been written from a 1up perspective.

Now as my better half by a long way, it's important to me to have the g/f very comfortable, especially considering the distances we are going to be travelling. Can anyone attest to the comfort levels a pillion can expect on the ST?

I'd also love to hear any comments on the bike in general for the purpose as stated. You think I'm nuts/biased/wrong/right? It's a lot of money to spend in the wrong way, and there are many many people here who have a much better understanding of motorcycles and alot more experience with touring so I'd be a fool to not try and tap into this wouldn't I :Punk:

Bass
15th March 2007, 15:52
I don't know how much use this will be, but I have an 04 ST (the earlier model to the one that has engaged your fancy). I bought it for much the same purposes that you are alluding to, i.e. a sporty flavour and some sporty capability, but reasonable 2 up comfort as well. It has had a rear shock replacement and a McDonalds seat alteration. HOWEVER...... the wife and I did 5000 km around the South Island on it last April. That was pre the seat mod and post the shock swap.
My good lady started to get a sore tailbone area about 10 days into what was a 14 day trip; hence the subsequent seat mod which has worked and cost about $400.
The original shock was just fine 1 up and acceptable 2 up, but the replacement was offered at a very good price and so I now have handling that way exceeds my abilities both 1 & 2 up and adjustable comfort as well.
As stated, I don't know how relevant this is to the current model - I think the current pillion seat is higher for starters - but take it for whatever it's worth.
PM me if you want more info.

sels1
15th March 2007, 16:09
IMHO they are a bloody good bike, and should suit your purpose well. I have only done a couple of test rides on them but was well impressed.
I suggest you take your G/F and test one together - even hire one for the day (I think AMPS have one). I did this before I bought my Tiger - hired one and spent the day on it with the wife...and a few hours on my own. Got the thumbs up.
Also have you had a look at the new 07 Tiger? Quite similar to the ST but more sit up position which would be good when doing the long tour

Qkchk
15th March 2007, 16:13
Give MAHA MAN (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=4192) a bell, he and MOM just recently purchased one and have done a bit of time 2-up on it.

Maha
15th March 2007, 16:18
Good write up on the Sprint in this months Motorcycle trader. I for one love em' and would have one in a flash, wasnt so keen on the new look but my mind has changed, the one thing that put me off was the how high the pillion would be as i ride 2up all the time. In saying that, had a close look at one the other day and thought, maybe not, plus you get free panniers with the 07 model but im stuck with the one i have for now, looking to trade up later this year.....good luck..

ArcherWC
15th March 2007, 18:23
You should look closely at a Busa as well, ideal as a two up "sports" bike

Devil
15th March 2007, 19:37
Again I can only help from a one up perspective, but I love the new Sprint. That engine is just a gem with a wonderful exhaust note. Great out on the open road, gets a little uncomfortable in a slow traffic situation, all the hot air from the engine gets directed straight up at you.

I'd love one.:scooter:

fazer
16th March 2007, 20:41
Love the look of the the new 1050 Tiger, as Sels said, a comfortable looking upright riding position, ideal for long trips. Not a lot of them about unfortunately, well not over this way anyway. Quite expensive at 21.400 and a further 1,400 (approx) for the hard luggage though.

Big Dave
16th March 2007, 21:16
Sprint over time – ‘05 Triumph Sprint ST
Words: David Cohen

‘It’s not the best at anything – but it’s pretty good at everything’. A great all round package.
After some prolonged exposure to Triumph’s ‘05 Sprint ST, through a variety of day to day cruising, touring and sports riding situations, our verdict is in: Another great all round package.
You can point to more hard-core sports bikes, even within Triumph’s own range, and there are machines slightly better suited to weeks on end in the saddle. But the ST makes a great fist of the being the ‘great all-rounder’ – right out of the box.
Triumph engaged UK design firm ‘The Renfrew Group’ (http://www.renfrewgroup.com) with a brief ‘to bring the ST in line with current machines from the Continent and Japan.’ The stealthy, angular and aggressive lines and impressive performance of the new model make a quite stunning transformation. The company calls it ‘redesigned from the wheels up’.
Three is the prominent theme – from the blazingly bright triple headlights, the integrated instruments and gauges, to the triple exhaust apertures under the duck’s bum rear, all reflect the number at the heart of the bike.
Its 1050cc, fuel-injected, three-cylinder motor is very useful indeed. Peak power is 125PS @ 9,250rpm while peak torque of 104Nm arrives at 5,000rpm. It doesn’t accelerate ‘forever’ like the current batch of Japanese superbike replicas, it but it still delivers spirited performance and the balance of the triple cylinder engine makes it ever so well suited to the all rounder’s role. It does some of its best work at 3,000rpm.
The triple borrows some of the pulling-out-of-corners and overtaking torque of a large vee-twin and combines it with the free revving, high end power of a horizontal four. All in one smooth, yet ‘torquey’ package.
A redesigned beam frame, featuring a shorter than previous model’s wheelbase of 1454mm, makes for a composed yet fast-steering motorcycle. The front is fitted with 43mm cartridge-style telescopic forks, adjustable for preload, while the rear shock is remotely adjustable for spring preload and rebound damping.
A pair of Nissin, four-piston brake calipers mated to 320mm floating discs provide the front stopping power, a two-piston caliper and a 255mm disc slows the rear wheel. Optional and quite effective ABS is also available.

Quick Sprints.
We spent the first week with the bike around the city and put in a few day rides through the Hunuas and Bombay Hills in ‘sports bike - leather’ mode.
Capable and comfortable around town – it bimbles along quite sweetly at 50kph in top gear, yet ‘It carved up those corners like a hot knife through butter’ was the co-pilot’s reaction after a spirited flick over Monument Hill. ‘Fast and potent, innit?’ was my satisfied, gazing at the bike, chin scratching retort, not letting on I had done the same run even faster, solo, the previous day.
The stylish lines of the bike turned plenty of heads around the city and it has something of an ‘exotica’ feel cruising the boulevard. 1 or 2 up, the versatile nature of the bike was becoming evident. It’s a real head turner.

Longer Sprint.
We packed light because the tank bag was all we had for an overnight visit to Muzza and Jan at the ‘Pyes Pa Hilton’. There are hard cases and soft pannier touring options available, but neither of the test bikes were so equipped so it ‘jocks and socks only’.

We hit the road about the same time as the season’s first cold snap hit the North Island. Gore-tex and thermal liners installed, it was off into a strong Sou-wester that saw an early test of the bike’s aerodynamics. Solid, carved through the turbulence with no noticeable buffeting or excessive sideways push in high winds across the Hauraki Plains.
Those long straights also offered an opportunity to reflect on the ST’s touring position. The seat is a gem, comfy for hours, the pegs are set slightly higher than on previous models and the longer of leg will need a stretch occasionally, but overall, a comfortable and easy-to-roll-away-the-kays semi-sportsbike-crouch-ergonomic from slightly ‘dropped’ bars and rear set pegs.
We both enjoyed the torque and smoothness of the bike as it effortlessly reeled off the long lines of traffic (who continually and courteously pulled over to let us past) into Paeroa and the surge as I wicked it up a little, timing a break in the procession through the Karangahake Gorge.
‘I luff this motorcycle’ were the co-pilot’s first words as we dismounted at the ‘Hilton’. ‘How do you find the pillion comfort?’ I enquired.
‘It’s good, the slope of the seat is slightly forward and the pegs are high, so it’s harder to stop, but I enjoy being up so high and seeing over you and the instruments, and having a giggle at how fast we are going.’
I replied that I enjoyed the bike’s trip computer and countdown fuel display.
Speedo and tacho are analogue with the usual array of idiot lights easily visible and well clear of the screen overhang. Apart from the mirrors vibrating somewhat at high speed, (they wobble about a bit, but visibility remains pretty good – no blurring) the lack of digital speedo was the only gripe we could find with the bike.
Co-pilot gives it a big ‘yes Please!’ It is very slick.
A night of Hawkes Bays finest and late checkout from bedroom 4 at ‘The Hilton’ meant the wind had dropped for the return leg and I was keen to hit that sweet section of tarmac north of Waihi.
The ST ‘carved up’ one of our favourite roads so well that we were both looking at it as fondly as the many pedestrians stopping for a closer inspection of its catching lines outside the café in downtown Whangamata.
Through the Kopu-Hikoi gorge and darting past huge boat-towing 4wd’s between the hairpins, and the way we effortlessly reeled off more long lines of traffic, then carved up the long sweepers on the descent, had us pretty satisfied with the ST’s all round touring credentials as well.
We’re convinced. We put the ST through most of the types of riding we encounter: Solo, 2-up, sports, city and touring. When the conversation next starts, ‘If you could only own one motorcycle…’ then the lasts words could well be ‘Triumph Sprint ST’ – it’s very, very good at ‘everything’ - one of the great all round packages.

Highlander
17th March 2007, 10:04
Nice Write up Dave.

Templar
26th March 2007, 09:17
Hey guys, thanks very much for all your feedback. Went down to Amps this weekend and put a deposit on a new Sprint, have a couple of months to wait for my color choice to come in so I'm very excited and can't wait.

Very helpful comments from all, thanks again.