PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to the races?

Hitcher
19th August 2004, 13:26
Just curious to know how many KBers have ever been to a live motorbike racing event.

I haven't been to anything live since the six-hour events at Manfeild in the late 1970s. Somewhere I still have some great action shots of the late Roger Freeth.

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 13:31
Well... come on down to Manfield during september for the final round of Vic club then!!

It's gonna be BIG! Your very own fast boy from Welly (aka WT), will be there too!

NC
19th August 2004, 13:45
I went to puke a couple of times. The last time I went the guy I was with got shitty with me cause I was talking to the guys on their bikes who rode down to watch the race.

Men eh! :msn-wink: :D

riffer
19th August 2004, 14:04
My dad used to take me to the Beach races at Levin and Gracefield bike races when I was a kid. Every time. Every race.

I loved it. Might be time to start taking the little ones to the races at Manfield too I reckon. Especially as I can introduce them to a few of the racers.

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 14:05
Men eh! :msn-wink: :D

Insecure men, to be exact :niceone:

No offence to your man btw

NC
19th August 2004, 14:09
Insecure men, to be exact :niceone:

No offence to your man btw

Ah that's why I'm single :D

Cajun
19th August 2004, 14:28
we should go town to taupo next time nc30 and watch mr and rest of them its only 1 1/2 hours from tauranga to taupo easy

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 14:31
Ah that's why I'm single :D

Ooooh really? :msn-wink:

Na, I am seeing a chick right now so I better not get excited by that LOL

NC
19th August 2004, 14:35
we should go town to taupo next time nc30 and watch mr and rest of them its only 1 1/2 hours from tauranga to taupo easy

:eek: Sounds like a plan..

NC
19th August 2004, 14:40
Ooooh really? :msn-wink:

Na, I am seeing a chick right now so I better not get excited by that LOL
You're too young anyway :baby:

:p Hee Hee

Motu
19th August 2004, 14:40
Been going to speedway since I was a kid,still go to as many meetings a year as I can fit in.Used to watch MX when it was held on farms,but not in the last 20yrs.Have been going to Pukekohe since it first opened,before that we went to Ardmore,watched street races from the early days(my mother said they used to have bike races at Bucklands Beach where I was born)these days I will only go to watch the classic races - post,forgotten,whatever,if I can tell two bikes apart by sight and sound I'll watch them...a screaming horde of lookalikes doesn't hold my attention at all.

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 14:42

If only you knew the other half of the story... my dear :)

Cajun
19th August 2004, 14:43
:eek: Sounds like a plan..

Be awsome, next mission is tho a track day myself at puke

Cajun
19th August 2004, 14:44
If only you knew the other half of the story... my dear :)

stop flirting MR your get yourself in to trouble hahahhaa

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 14:46
stop flirting MR your get yourself in to trouble hahahhaa

LOL Yes I will, my girl is in Kiwibiker too :Oops:

Cajun
19th August 2004, 14:49

where is she, MR is being a bad boy he needs a spanking, take his keys away from him

hahahaha

NC
19th August 2004, 14:52

:bleh: :killingme:

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 14:57
where is she, MR is being a bad boy he needs a spanking, take his keys away from him

hahahaha

:killingme

Joni
19th August 2004, 15:04

hahahaha

Spanking huh?

We can discuss that later MR.... :eek:

Cajun
19th August 2004, 15:04
:bleh: :2thumbsup

don't mind me just whoring my post to catch up to the old fireman

Firefight
19th August 2004, 15:31
:bleh: :2thumbsup

don't mind me just whoring my post to catch up to the old fireman

So its gloves off :wacko:

Nice one, that old touch just made it :killingme :killingme

theres hope for you yet !!

F/F :msn-wink:

Blakamin
19th August 2004, 15:31
been to phillip island yeeeeaaaaaars ago.

going to watch at manfield if its not raining

Cajun
19th August 2004, 15:38
Spanking huh?

We can discuss that later MR.... :eek:

HAHAH I got you trouble MR dc:<

me waves at Joni

Cajun
19th August 2004, 15:39
So its gloves off :wacko:

Nice one, that old touch just made it :killingme :killingme

theres hope for you yet !!

F/F :msn-wink:

well you keep calling me young and i arn't young, so you can be old dc:<

Sparky Bills
19th August 2004, 16:05
Come one Come all!!
Manfeild 28th September, Manfeild Winter Champs!!
I will be there. #55 GSXR400! Crashed last round, (see members photos) Am looking for a top ten, but am 13th, So will be dropping head and lifting ass, and going for gold! Bike still needs to be put back together, but should be all good.
Should be a good day!
MotoMart will have our new 748rrrrrrrr there too, it stripped a rivet link its first ride, smashed a hole in the side casing and bent the output shaft! All fixed now and ready to have some fun.
See you all there!
ps dont be scared to come over and have a yarn! :sunny: :niceone:

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 16:10
Come one Come all!!
Manfeild 28th September, Manfeild Winter Champs!!
I will be there. #55 GSXR400! Crashed last round,

I'll be there with #15 GSXR600, I crashed on the last round too LOL!

I'll keep an eye out for ya and will come over for a chat.

Cajun
19th August 2004, 16:22
I'll be there with #15 GSXR600, I crashed on the last round too LOL!

I'll keep an eye out for ya and will come over for a chat.

we don't want you duing in to a xaus there MR

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 16:32
we don't want you duing in to a xaus there MR

Yea, that bloody goat track! I'll save up for a new front tire before that anyway

Cajun
19th August 2004, 16:32
Yea, that bloody goat track! I'll save up for a new front tire before that anyway

what sorta front tire you after???

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 16:35
what sorta front tire you after???

I don't touch anything other than Metzler Rennsport RS1 or Perelli Supercorsa SC1

Since I now have warmers, I might even look into some second hand slicks but it's hard to tell rubbish from the good stuff when it comes to second hand slicks...

Cajun
19th August 2004, 16:38
I don't touch anything other than Metzler Rennsport RS1 or Perelli Supercorsa SC1

Since I now have warmers, I might even look into some second hand slicks but it's hard to tell rubbish from the good stuff when it comes to second hand slicks...

they got a set down here pirelli super corsa sc1 set for like $370 i can get a set put aside for you, its what i planning on putting on my bike, god knows how long they will last tho

merv
19th August 2004, 16:41
Go and watch what I have time for and lately that has been - Wanganui road races most years, Oceania moto-x last couple at Upper Hutt and checked out the trials champs at Judgeford a couple of years back and at Horokiwi before that.

In addition before that and being my age I've been to road races at Onekawa, Gracefield, Lyall Bay, seen the Marlboro series at Wanganui and Ruapuna, the 6 hour at Manfield many times, moto-x at Woodville and many other places even seeing Hugh Anderson on his return from Europe on the 500 Yamaha MX bike he raced in 1973, trials and enduros all over the place and too many other things to remember or to mention here.

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 16:41
they got a set down here pirelli super corsa sc1 set for like $370 i can get a set put aside for you, its what i planning on putting on my bike, god knows how long they will last tho

Sweet!! Sounds awesome! I want SC2 on the rear though. You should do the same. SC1 is WAY too soft for the rear (prolly lasts for 1500kms or something...)

Cajun
19th August 2004, 16:42
Sweet!! Sounds awesome! I want SC2 on the rear though. You should do the same. SC1 is WAY too soft for the rear (prolly lasts for 1500kms or something...)

hahah shrug well i got a set lined up so if they don't last long ya might be able to get my front hahahaha

Eddieb
19th August 2004, 16:43
Yes, and just to show off:

Manfield x 2
Bay Park x 6 or 7
Puke x 3
Paeroa street race x 3
Wanganui Cemetery circuit x 2
Donington Superbikes x 2
Brands Hatch Superbikes x 2
Le Mans 24 hour endurance x 2
Spa Franco Champs 24 hour endurance x 2
Isle of Man TT x 3

Blakamin
19th August 2004, 16:45
Is it on if it rains? in which case i'll be there anyway!

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 16:47
hahah shrug well i got a set lined up so if they don't last long ya might be able to get my front hahahaha

KEWL!! :cool2:

FROSTY
19th August 2004, 16:59
Yes, and just to show off:

Le Mans 24 hour endurance x 2
Spa Franco Champs 24 hour endurance x 2
Isle of Man TT x 3
Do tell about the island--I know its insane but my ultimate dream is to race there. I know about the narrow roads and the big jump offs and the high kerbstones --but tell me more.
Ohh and yea ive been to a couple of races--once apon a time

Ms Piggy
19th August 2004, 17:45

Too young? Ahem...there's only 3 years between you - or have I missed something. I find it funny how age gaps are such a BIG thing when you're younger *sigh*

Hitcher
19th August 2004, 17:47
Too young? Ahem...there's only 3 years between you - or have I missed something. I find it funny how age gaps are such a BIG thing when you're younger *sigh*
Have another bourbon, CSL...

Ms Piggy
19th August 2004, 17:50
Have another bourbon, CSL...

I've got some lovely Bombay Saphire Gin at home - mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :shifty:

Oh yeah! I haven't been to any motorbike racing yet but really wanna at some stage! :2thumbsup

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 17:50

I think NC30 was kidding then but I find it hilarious too... Specially when I started 4th form when I was 12 and all of my bloody mates were 2-4 years older than me anyway. FF is one of my best mates and he's bloody old :p

Edit: Anyway, it doesn't matter if someone is young or old. KK is younger than me but he is more mature than me. Age doesn't mean crap really...

Ms Piggy
19th August 2004, 17:53
I think NC30 was kidding then but I find it hilarious too... Specially when I started 4th form when I was 12 and all of my bloody mates were 2-4 years older than me anyway. FF is one of my best mates and he's bloody old :p

Ahhhhh ok, I'll go back to my Gin now :blink:

And you watch it there you young whipper snapper....exactly what is "bloody old" by your definition?? Hmmmmmmm????

Hitcher
19th August 2004, 17:56
exactly what is "bloody old" by your definition?? Hmmmmmmm????
Silly girl, you asked The Question when you didn't really want to know the answer...

Firefight
19th August 2004, 17:56
. FF is one of my best mates and he's bloody old :p

why thank you MR,................. I think ... mate....

Motoracer
19th August 2004, 17:59
why thank you MR,................. I think ... mate....

Cheer up fella, you are a 20 year old just like me at heart :)

Kickaha
19th August 2004, 18:34
Went to the last Hawkesbury road race,which if you're ever in Blenheim is worth riding/driving around

Went to the last two 6 hour races at Manfield and the first of the Sound of Thunder meetings when they were just glorified club days

I attend at least 14-15 meetings a year all over the South and sometimes the North Island,many as a competitor and have raced at every current track,in either a 250 Superkart,F1 sidecar or on a bike

And thats not including going to the quads,motorcross etc

gav
19th August 2004, 19:54
Hell, I remember Hawkesbury, thats going back abit! Went to all the World Superbikes at Manfield, pitcrewed at 2 or 3 Castrol 6 hours, organised (and raced at) road races at Golden Downs and Port Nelson, been to most of the South of Thunders (doesnt seem as good as it use be , remember when the Oz guys came over? Owen Coles on the Bimota DB1 etc?) Get to as many as possible.

Pickle
19th August 2004, 20:53
Hawkesbury - that was good, I think, steinlager has a lot to answer for
Castrol 6 hour - competed, went for many a year as spectator
Lady Wigram - great when based at Wigram ( Christchurch ) also scene of my biggest crash
Ruapuna - watched as well as raced at
Manfield - great when based at Ohakea, spectator, raced / crashed
Pukekohe - years ago, helped Speedpro with his race bike
Did Nationals years ago as Gofer for Speedpro
Levels - Timaru, Teretonga - Invercargill, Ruapuna - ChCh
Wanganui on Boxing day for more years than I want to remember
Onekawa - both as spectator and raced / crashed
Gracefield - again with Speedpro
Lyall Bay - street circuit
Greymouth street races, very sociable weekend
Gisborne - New Years races, too much to drink but a bloody good time + a good ride there

Bucket Racing - every track in lower Nth Island approx 10 yrs ago as racer / crasher - both solo & sidecar( with Speedpro as ballast ) Golden Handlebars at Manfield on Buckets ( who remembers that series )
Phillip Island - either Superbikes or GP ( or both ) for the last 6 years
Eastern Creek - when the GP's were held there
Oran park - Aussie 6 hour as a guest of the Pirelli Matich team and just about every race held there when living in Sydney

:done: :beer: :bye:

Kickaha
19th August 2004, 22:19
Hell, I remember Hawkesbury, thats going back abit! Went to all the World Superbikes at Manfield, pitcrewed at 2 or 3 Castrol 6 hours, organised (and raced at) road races at Golden Downs and Port Nelson, been to most of the South of Thunders (doesnt seem as good as it use be , remember when the Oz guys came over? Owen Coles on the Bimota DB1 etc?) Get to as many as possible.

I forgot Nelson,raced there and at Greymouth for the first time last year and sadly I hear that this year is quite possibly the last one for Nelson and a changed track from last year.

Ran my Darmah at an Italian Day when we used the Lady Wigram circuit and also raced a a bucket at Wigram

A few Aussies still come over for the Sound of Thunder,but I remember the DB1,I've got a photo of it somewhere,that was when the Sound of Thunder was the largest motorcycle event in NZ

Either this year or next I will also do the Wanganui street race as a competitor in the sidecar class