PDA

View Full Version : Tyre selection

XR250 Si
16th March 2007, 10:50
A question...

As I'm doing the majority of my riding on the road, I'm wondering whether I should be changing the tyres on my XR250 over to something more suitable for road use i.e. motard style tyres?

The tyres I have currently are what came with the bike. They're dual-purpose knobblies. Haven't had any issues in the wet... yet.

Cheers

cooneyr
16th March 2007, 11:37
Here would be a good start. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31920

There are heaps of options for tyres that would fit that are what I would call roady i.e. Mitas E08, Dunlop TW series etc etc but unless you want to save the knoblies or want significantly better on road handling then just wear them out first!

Cheers R

merv
16th March 2007, 15:56
If the stock tyres on my XR are anything to go by, assume yours are the same, they are pretty good on the road. If you are doing any off road work at all they are OK too though of course not a full knob. I doubt you'd get more kms out of a road set of tyres (motard) but no harm looking at what's available I guess.

XR250 Si
19th March 2007, 11:43
Cheers guys.

Just looking into different set ups etc. Most the roads around me are the slippery style, so I was just wondering if I'd get better grip with a motard style tyre.

warewolf
19th March 2007, 14:42
Most the roads around me are the slippery style, so I was just wondering if I'd get better grip with a motard style tyre.I used to run ME33/ME55 street tyres on my DR-Z250, swapping with road/trail tyres. The road/trail tyres warmed up much, much faster. For shorter commutes that could be a point in their favour.

Horney1
19th March 2007, 14:57
Here would be a good start. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=31920

There are heaps of options for tyres that would fit that are what I would call roady i.e. Mitas E08, Dunlop TW series etc etc but unless you want to save the knoblies or want significantly better on road handling then just wear them out first!

Cheers R

Gidday XR, I mentioned Pirelli Scorpions in the link above. I find them pretty good on the road although now they are getting low in tread they're a bit easier to break loose. I've gotten great mileage out of them. I went for a ride along a long stoney off-camber 4x4 ridge track yesterday. I was thinking that maybe I should get some knobblies! It was a bit nerve racking on compromise tyres when the camber of the track pointed me over cliffs!!

Cheers

C