PDA

View Full Version : Adventure bike review

terbang
16th March 2007, 18:59
Ok I could be looking for a dualsport/adventure bike in the near future. I want something that will haul arse fairly well on the road and comfortably, with luggage and yet can travel the back-roads in a similar fashion and possbly the odd trail. I like to do big rides, like the big capacities and I am looking at the BMW 1150 GS, the Gagiva Navigator or the Triumph Tiger. Any views or current owners out there with some friendly advice?

Balrog
17th March 2007, 08:56
Hey Terbang

I recently added a 2003 GS1150 Adventure to the stable.
I don't regret it, I've had a ball going off road and gone on a few adventure
tours with Marie on the back, all loaded up with luggage.

Goes just fine on the road, handles way better than I ever imagined.
Biggest problem I've had so far has been getting used to switching back and forth
between the Busa and the GS. ( bloody stupid BMW indicator switch arrangement )

The GS is heaps of fun to ride, and the more you ride it the more it grows on you.
The power delivery is way different than the Busa so it took a few rides to get used to it.

PM me for my phone number if you want a chat

Cheers Jim

Catweazle
17th March 2007, 15:12
Check out my post near the end of the Varadero thread. There is one for sale on Trade Me if you cannot afford a new one when they arrive.

Robbo
17th March 2007, 16:30
Hi Terbang
I have had the chance to give an 06 Tiger a good workout and can thoroughly reccommend it as a good allrounder. If you are mainly road riding with the occassional off road adventure then this is definately a good two up with luggage tourer.
Cheers

oldrider
19th March 2007, 11:39
Hi Terbang, have you followed the South Island Passes thread at all, there are some interesting comparisons of bikes by real venture bike riders, rather than sport bike riders comparing them to sport bikes, like in bike magazines. Cheers John.

Skyrich
19th March 2007, 22:39
I have a GS1200 - had it for 2 years and extremely happy with it. I try and spend as much time riding gravel/dirt and have been very impressed with the handling. A lot of riding is 2 up with my wife as pillion. We recently did a 6000km South Island adventure ride (including the NZ adventure Ride starting in Cromwell) of which app 15000km was dirt - Molesworth, Rainbow, Dansey etc etc. A magic trip and the bike performed without a hitch. i was damn sorry to be home. See my blogsite htttp://kiwiland.typepad.com/ for all the photos and story behind it.

Overall for comfort, ease of offroad handling, fuel consumption, service etc I would recommend the BMW 1200 any time. :yes:

Cheers
Rich

Zukin
19th March 2007, 23:18
Hi there Skyrich

Welcome to KB

Just reading your blog on your website, and checking out your pictures, very cool

If you are interested in doing a bit of gravel/back country roads, give us a holler as there arent too many of us here in the Bay.

I did ride with the other HB Kiwibikers on Wednesday night, and save the back county gravel for the weekends.
They have just changed the rides to the weekend from Weds nite because of Daylight savings.

Great to see you on here, adn maybe we will catch up

Cheers Scott

Zukin
20th March 2007, 21:16
Here (http://www.dsadventures.com/dsbikes.htm) is a good link with some basic info on some of the bikes you are looking for.
The $ are in US I think?

Cheers

Skyrich
20th March 2007, 21:21
Scott

Sent you a PM.

Richard

terbang
20th March 2007, 21:38
Hi all and thanks for the replies. I went the Cagiva Navigator 1000 way and am absolutely loving it..Its a grunty little bike with snappy handling. I have already had a bit of a ride in the gravel and hope to do some more soon. The only thing that I think could let this bike down at the moment is the lack of a radiator grill which I will make up very shortly.
Cheers

oldrider
20th March 2007, 21:47
Hi all and thanks for the replies. I went the Cagiva Navigator 1000 way and am absolutely loving it..Its a grunty little bike with snappy handling. I have already had a bit of a ride in the gravel and hope to do some more soon. The only thing that I think could let this bike down at the moment is the lack of a radiator grill which I will make up very shortly.
Cheers

Good on you, there is no such thing as a dud bike these days, just so many choices.

You chose right for "you," hope you have a good run with it. :ride: Cheers John.

SlipperyOZ
21st March 2007, 20:35
If you have long legs the GS is the way to go... I ride a 1200 and have ridden a mates Tiger, I just found it a wee bit cramped compared to my Big Pig :yes:

terbang
21st March 2007, 20:58
You chose right for "you," hope you have a good run with it. :ride: Cheers John.

Cheers for that John. I have had a few sleepless nights over changing bikes as I really liked my hayabusa but couldn't justify having one of each (there are 4 of us in this family). The Cagiva is the less common of the three that I looked at and that may bite me in the asre with spares ETC but not too much. It is the more 'roady' as well with the GS being the real rugged one. And of course it had a Suzuki engine I just couldn't resist some brand loyalty.

oldrider
21st March 2007, 23:28
If you have long legs the GS is the way to go... I ride a 1200 and have ridden a mates Tiger, I just found it a wee bit cramped compared to my Big Pig :yes:

I found your bike nice to sit on (While you held it up for me!) but there is no where to carry the bloody stepladder once you get the thing going, is there! (lol) Cheers John.