PDA

View Full Version : I read this is disbelief

laRIKin
19th August 2004, 19:05
It looks like the Windham County Sheriff's Dept in Townshend Vermont
launched an illegal raid against motorcycle riders during an event
at Townshend Dam Recreation Area.

This insert of the first letter. I have shorten it and the club was not at fault.
As they were caught out as well, because some of there riders got fined on
there test and reroute the ride.

Well we drove to Vermont from N. J. went to dinner and found out after that the town passed a oridinace that would not allow any dirt bikes on class four roads the day before the ride !!!

Sounds a little premeditated !!!To make a long story short. The police where arresting people impounding bikes and it was $79.00 every offense for non DOT compliance. So just to start out with I had lets see. No turn signals, mirror, horn, no high beam, brake light, full knobs and non DOT googles.

Lets say 7 offenses at $79.00 each = $553.00 as soon as I put my tire on the street. I would get arrested and my bike impounded. Have to go to court back in Vermont. Lets see $3-4,000 and do not get to ride on top off it.

Talk about having a Sherrif from the PORKY'S movie.
Or Dukes of Hazzard County.

Heres a site so you can if you want to read about it.

Red Fox Turkey Run (http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=70353)

Lemans

FROSTY
19th August 2004, 20:30
shit doesn't it make our problems seem minot

toads
20th August 2004, 08:45
shit doesn't it make our problems seem minot

these guys are definately in need of amnesty international, that really stinks, and yes our troubles are definately few comparitively

laRIKin
20th August 2004, 11:45
When I had cut and pasted, I had inveterately left out this bit.
(sorry but I have the flue)

-The night before the ride, one of the town's selectmen changed the law so that while we previously did not need a certain type of permit, now we did. Basically, they defined this TR as a "race" - which requires different permits and permissions from the towns

-We rerouted around that town (Jamaica VT) but other towns sent the police to threaten us with tickets, arrest and impounding if we held the event

-We had written permission from all land owners, as in years past

-The police made up several laws (there is no such law as DOT goggles!) and threatened to arrest and impound. They also threatened to arrest the club organizers and the head of NETRA, Jerry Shinners, if the ride went off as scheduled

-Obviously, if we'd have known in advance, we'd have cancelled the ride, but like fastlearner says, we were ambushed.

and this bit is interesting as well.

It's about Deputies *inventing* laws -- or *lying* about existing ones -- in order to intimidate lawful riders. It's about Deputies threatening citation/summons, fines, arrest & property seizure in order to scare away law-abiding visitors to Windham County.

And this.

However the sheriff's dept. said that hey didn't care what we thought, they were going to write us tickets and if we wanted to we could show up in court to fight them. I was told by the sheriff's deputy that "there was nothing I could do to make my bike legal!" He also said "we're here to shut you down".

My head was spinning and I thought the the first part of the paraphrase was in there.

I have read the posts afew times, and still can't believe it.
Someone had said that some police have gone a bit power mad, since 9/11.
With their new powers.

laRIKin
20th August 2004, 11:49
This must be a mock up.

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 12:27
This must be a mock up.

Lol... brilliant photoshop skills!