PDA

View Full Version : Mystery begins

Mystery
16th March 2007, 19:06
Hi Kiwibikers
I have been lurking as a guest for a while and decided it was time to join up. After raising four children, all teenagers now, I decided I needed a new challenge. I have done the Bungy Jump and the Tandem Parachute Jump so have exhausted those options.

A good friend of mine is crazy about bikes and riding and he just happened to have a 250 in his bike collection. He offered to teach me to ride so I though I would give it a go. It all seemed a bit daunting at first and I definitely needed a sit down and a few stiff Bourbons after the first lesson. I had lesson number three last weekend and managed to get up and back through the gears (what a crazy place to put neutral) and do a very unsucessful cone weave (I only ran over three out of 6 cones). So its lesson 4 this weekend and I am really looking forward to getting out there again. Have a great weekend Kiwibikers! :scooter:

crashe
16th March 2007, 19:14
Welcome to KB.........

The more you practise the better you become at riding..... or so they say.... :whistle:

Good on ya friend for helping you out by lending you his GN250....
they are great wee learner bikes.....

Soon you will be looking at buying your own bike.......

Colapop
16th March 2007, 20:34
Ooo Bourbon girl - we like that!!

Hey welcome to KB (officially) If you've lurked for awhile you'll know how it all goes (down the toilet usually) round here...

Ask anything you like. There is tons of advice and some really good people on here and around the countryside...

Mystery
16th March 2007, 20:43
Thanks for the welcome Crashe
My friend is a very patient mentor which makes it easy to learn. The bike is a Yamaha Scorpio and it is quite light and very forgiving. I think it will be a while before I am confident enough to get my license but I am having a lot of fun learning.

Mystery
16th March 2007, 20:52
Ask anything you like................
Hi Colapop
I have seen threads with references to you and a chicken! Just what did you get up to with that chicken? :nono:

The Lone Rider
17th March 2007, 00:21
I bet you will learn pretty quickly.

I first "learnt" to drive one by riding around on an old POS Honda 90 step through that was missing parts, didn't idle properly and the tires went flat - but thats fine cuz it was worth nothing and I didn't know how to change gears anyway. It was fun to race around on my uncles farm, often crashing into things. That would have been when I was about 8 years old.

Then just before Christmas this year I bought a motorcycle and thought, right.. I better learn to drive it! And so I just booked my learners license practical and did it right off the bat with no practise since I was 8 and bam.. got my license first go. It will come as naturally as procreation haha

Now I'm on my second bike, and about 3,000k more on the speedos since Xmas :P

Mystery
17th March 2007, 16:46
I bet you will learn pretty quickly.

Hey dyers
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I spent a lot of my teenage years as a pillion and loved it. As for me learning, I am fine when I get going but I am having issues when starting off, getting the feet off the ground onto the pegs. I guess this will be second nature when I get a little more confident.
Lesson No.4 has been cancelled this weekend, mentor is busy.

MikeyG
20th March 2007, 17:57
Hi Colapop
I have seen threads with references to you and a chicken! Just what did you get up to with that chicken? :nono:

I don't think you want to know Mystery. That Colapop can be a bit suspet

Macktheknife
20th March 2007, 18:04
Hi Mystery and welcome to KB, you will find heaps of good advice and some bad. Plenty of rides and meets to join in when you feel up to it. Might want to check out the Wednesday night mentors ride too.

Nasty
20th March 2007, 18:40
Welcome to kiwibiker ... good to see another lady joining the ranks :)

riffer
20th March 2007, 19:36
Well done for getting on to a bike. Its a bit daunting trying anything for the first time, especially something so potentially dangerous in other people's eyes.

Check out BuckbuckNo1's posts. Get in touch with him. He is an invaluable resource on KB for new riders and his posts on the subject will be a mine of information for you.

Colapop
20th March 2007, 19:41
Hi Colapop
Rumours of my supposed excesses have been grossly over-exaggerated! I would King of the world if I was half the legend I'm made out to be...

Rosie
21st March 2007, 08:50
Hi Mystery!
Good on you for getting out and about on two wheels!! :first: :scooter:
It is pretty daunting when you first start out, but be patient, and keep practising, and it will all come together.

MSTRS
21st March 2007, 09:17
...(what a crazy place to put neutral)....

Hi there young lady. Where do you suggest 'they' put it, then? Various manufacturers have tried all sorts of things over the years, but the only thing they all agree on is that neutral is best located somewhere on the gear shift.:dodge:

Scamp
21st March 2007, 19:17
Thanks for the welcome Crashe
I think it will be a while before I am confident enough to get my license

Welcome to KB, it's great to have another newbie around.

I bet once you get a few more lessons under your belt you'll be booking in to do your BHS test and getting your learners license.

Drum
21st March 2007, 19:39
Gidday Mystery. Welcome to the site and to two wheels.

When you have had to make an emergency stop and then take off again in a hurry you will see why first gear is at the bottom and not neutral!

Mystery
22nd March 2007, 14:31
Hey Guys and Gals

Thanks for the awesome welcome and encouragement. As well as doing a whole lot of reading on this site, I am reading "Twist of the Wrist" which has already shown me that I am doing a few things wrong that I can definitely remedy on future lessons.
I'm still waiting for lesson #4 but I'm sure it will happen soon. My son is also learning to ride and the little bugger just jumped on the bike and rode like a pro on his first lesson. What is it with males and their natural ability when it comes to riding/driving all things mechanical? It was amazing!

vifferman
22nd March 2007, 15:10
As well as doing a whole lot of reading on this site, I am reading "Twist of the Wrist" which has already shown me that I am doing a few things wrong that I can definitely remedy on future lessons.
That's a very good place to start, Mystery. :niceone:

I'm still waiting for lesson #4 but I'm sure it will happen soon. My son is also learning to ride and the little bugger just jumped on the bike and rode like a pro on his first lesson. What is it with males and their natural ability when it comes to riding/driving all things mechanical? It was amazing!
Yeah, but we make up for it by a seeming inability to understand things feminine. :confused:

Anyway, it's nice to have you here on KiwiBiker - I hope you learn lots and make some good friends. There's always people willing to help out their brother/sister bikers. Oh - I guess you may not have realised that yet: you're now officially a member of the biker family. Welcome! :wavey:

Maha
22nd March 2007, 15:16
Ask anything you like.

Um...ok!...how many Jellybeans can i hold i my mouth at one time?

Mystery
22nd March 2007, 16:56
Rumours of my supposed excesses have been grossly over-exaggerated! I would King of the world if I was half the legend I'm made out to be...

Hey Colapop

You are too modest! Most legends are based on rumour and exaggerated stories so deny nothing. I have it on good authority that your hugs are legendary and never to be forgotten or repeated.:yes:

Seriously though, thanks for the Official Welcome, this place is very educational, entertaining and extremely addictive.

avgas
22nd March 2007, 17:08
Velcome....ahahaha

Jorja
25th March 2007, 21:28
Good luck with learning to ride

hitch
26th March 2007, 16:23
I too have got into the bike thing now my kids have grown a big (they not as old as yours though) but I just couldn't wait any longer. It is soo much fun once you get out there, something that always makes me smile.

Roj
30th March 2007, 11:58
Um...ok!...how many Jellybeans can i hold i my mouth at one time?

if you are able to ask such a question my guess is about 1000,

though I didn't see colapop saying you would get sensible answers

Answers: $10

Answers with thought: $15

Answers with intelligent thoughts: $20

Correct answers: quotes on request