PDA

View Full Version : Visor anti-fog and rain repellant products

Duke of Rogan
20th June 2003, 10:45
I recently installed a Pro-Grip light-sensitive anti-fog visor insert to my KBC helmet and can recommend this product for winter riding with a clear visor.
I did some ringing around and managed to pick one up for about $30 from Colemans, which is the price of the non-light-sensitive kind, but I didn't want to argue :)

My question is:
does anyone know of a good rain-repellant to apply to the outside of the visor?

I'm sure I have seen something like this on car windscreens, and it would be very handy on a visor.

:banana:
(I just wanted to see this guy dance)

What?
20th June 2003, 11:32
There are a couple of water repellants for glass, the most common being Rain-X. Whatever you do, DO NOT put this stuff on your visor - it turns the majority of polycarbonate compounds milky. I use Plexus to clean my visors. This stuff was designed for windscreens on fighter planes. It disolves bugs and leaves a slippery coating not unlike silicone spary on the visor, which helps water dispersal. But don't use it on your anti-fog insert, or it won't not fog-up!

I too use a Pro-Grip insert. Yes, it is great, but can be a hassle on some lids as it is quite thick and spaced out from the visor. The Fog City inserts are better in this respect, but 3 times the price for a light sensitive job.

Duke of Rogan
20th June 2003, 12:00
thanks for the info What? (I say, I do sound like an English chap, what? more tea please)

I have found their site :
http://www.pro-blend.com/index2.html

but do you know who may stock this stuff in NZ?

i see Novus do a plastic polish kit as well (used for CD cleaning and scratch removal)
http://www.noscratch.com/novus/

What?
20th June 2003, 12:33
Some bike shops carry Plexus, the rest should. Motomail do.

The name... It is derived from an English one, but I am a true blue kiwi of mixed descent (aren't we all???????????????????):whocares:

Duke of Rogan
20th June 2003, 12:47
Originally posted by What?
The name... It is derived from an English one, but I am a true blue kiwi of mixed descent (aren't we all???????????????????)

no offence What, wasn't really taking the piss. :Offtopic:

thanks again, I will try to hunt this stuff down in shop nearby (I can see Colemans Suzuki from the window next to my desk :cool: )

bluninja
20th June 2003, 13:47
So does that mean you work upstairs in a massage parlour?:p

I've never had a problem with Fog City even riding in snowy conditions in the UK. I need to buy one cos my new helmet mists up like anything, especially when it rains. My Nolan has an insert that clips into the visor that normally works, but even that was defeated in the rain at Taupo last week.

TTFN

Duke of Rogan
20th June 2003, 15:44
Originally posted by bluninja
So does that mean you work upstairs in a massage parlour?:p

yeah, aren't you my best customer? :gob: :buggerd: :love:

lol.

no not-quite.... :sick:

I love these smiley's :bigthumb:

Coldkiwi
20th June 2003, 17:41
I have heard of fog city before.. how does it work?

Redstar
20th June 2003, 22:01
we dont need to worry about such things where I am.
but in the uk home of the best rugby team...?
we used to smear washing up liquid on the inside of our visors
I'ts just another example or pommie inginuity I guess?

What?
21st June 2003, 09:21
Originally posted by Duke of Rogan
no offence What, wasn't really taking the piss. :Offtopic:

None taken, mate.

Coldkiwi: A Fog City insert is a self-adhesive plastic sheet that you stick to the inside of a (brand new, clean) visor. The plastic matariel is such that water will not adhere to it, so it won't fog up provided it is kept clean. They cost around $30. I have been using them for years, buying from the Excited States before they were available here and swear by them. The Pro-Grip insert is similar, but I have found that you can only clean it with water (?!??!), whereas the Fog city is best cleaned with glass cleaner. Also, the Pro-Grip tends to give a bit more light difraction at night than the Fog City, probably because it is spaced out from the visor.

Interesting comment from Bluninja about the Nolan insert. I've got a couple of those, too. Never a problem, but it has to be clean; mucus(?) from your breath fouls them after a while, and I would imagine that would happen quicker when racing. whatever - any of these shields are better than the old creams and gels that never really worked at all.:niceone:

Coldkiwi
21st June 2003, 23:52
ahhh! lightbulb! thanks mate:)

So who has one of those fighter pilot style masks that covers the nose and seems to be to prevent breath getting on the visor? I reckon they look awesome but suspect they're only for certain brands/models... anyone know more about them?

bikerboy
22nd June 2003, 15:46
My Shark came with one, while the visor itself is (claimed) to be fog proof without the nose mask thing. It never has misted up with or without the mask thing, but I think it is supposed to be for racing or real heavy breathers. It was weird at first and you don't get much "fresh air".
:done:

SPman
22nd June 2003, 19:15
The nose guard on my Bell seems to direct the hot air from my breath to the top of the visor (where, of course, it mists up!):argh: Also, it seems to cut down peripheral vision slightly. The Fog city style inserts seem to be the way to go on most helmets, although the ones (like Shark), with 2.5 - 3mm thick visors seem to be reasonably "mist up " free.

wkid_one
23rd June 2003, 08:07
Yeah - Fog City's are good - operating like double glazing....however I question the optical qualities of the fog city having had one in my last helmet for 2 years.  The spread light and aren't that flash when it comes to pure vision - especially in the dappled light through trees - not good on corners.

Fuck Plexus - just use Pledge - same qualities as it coats your visor in silicone and it can be used to polish your whole bike - believe me my friends and I have used it for ages.....best shine you will get bar none.  Great on visors to as the silicone coating beads rain right off.  Don't knock it until you try it.

Kwaka-Kid
23rd June 2003, 08:25
interesting thead... :S

i dont/havent used anything, and every morning my visor will fog @ 6am going to wrk, so if im cold i ride blind with a misted visor ;) and if i dont mind i will lift the visor one click, or half a click (thickness of fingure nail sorta) and it does the job no worries @ all.  and when @ pukekohe tracktime/open days i have never had my visor fog? and my first track time was coldish and a tiny bit wet, i thought it was because of speeds? with my CMS hemet on street i can close it fully as soon as im on motorway and rest asured that it wont fog (on bad mornings maybe a bit on the sides)

oh i found my nose peice seems to push my breathing out to the sides of the visor first.. so i get a dstrip down hte middle i can see thru.  -anyways i dont need to worry this week about fog, 10oclock start shift :)  cyas! -oh and i got hte 250 going sweet az, taking it to work in half an hour

Duke of Rogan
23rd June 2003, 09:28
Originally posted by wkid_one
Fuck Plexus - just use Pledge - same qualities as it coats your visor in silicone and it can be used to polish your whole bike

Pledge? you're joking surely?
anyone else out there ever tried this??
and which scent do you prefer? :D

talking of nose guard/deflector things, my KBC came with onw, but I may take it off 'cos it retricts vision to the tacho/gauges and didn't do much to stop the fog-up problem.

Coldkiwi
23rd June 2003, 12:15
it did? my KBC only had a small one about 20mm long but I'd like to try a full sized one if KBC have a proprietory one.

Dan, I presume you mean Pledge on the outside?

Dave
23rd June 2003, 12:38
Hey duke-just checked your home page from your profile, Your a devious man!

Duke of Rogan
23rd June 2003, 13:05
hehe

( o Y o ) :love:

Dave
23rd June 2003, 13:58
by the way,is that your photo on the cover? heres my phone number 443....

SPman
23rd June 2003, 17:50
Ive heard of guys using Pledge on leathers :confused: , but visors sounds better. If you use it on the insides will the vapuor run off?