PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Suzuki Gsxr250 charging faults

irungu
17th March 2007, 05:55
After a city ride, (with headlights) my bike starts on the first try, but if it misses the first, it can no longer start the bike on the second try. and i have to push start.
I also noticed recently that, if I don't use my bike for several days, the battery will be nearly dead. Cranks but unable to start. The battery is new so i think the fault should be the stator or rectifier. i have a multi meter, how do i use it to check what part is faulty and where is the stator and rectifier located on the gsxr250?

slinky
17th March 2007, 06:25
i had a problem with charging just recently.
we physically had a look at the rectifier and the connections were burnt out.....so perhaps to begin with have a look for any loose[or burnt out] connections if you haven't already.

surfer
17th March 2007, 15:41
After a city ride, (with headlights) my bike starts on the first try, but if it misses the first, it can no longer start the bike on the second try. and i have to push start.
I also noticed recently that, if I don't use my bike for several days, the battery will be nearly dead. Cranks but unable to start. The battery is new so i think the fault should be the stator or rectifier. i have a multi meter, how do i use it to check what part is faulty and where is the stator and rectifier located on the gsxr250?

If you have a new battery I would not have thought it should be dead after being left for a week. Are you leaving your key in the ignition switch as sometimes this can be enough to open up the circuit and let a small trickle charge through (happened to my bike).

crazybigal
17th March 2007, 16:11
start the bike and put you meter over the batt while its at idle (or about 1200rpm) you should show 13.5 -14.5v (not sure what suzuki charge rates are but most bikes are around that. Make sure its not overcharging 15.5v+ and boiling your batt to.
also test with lights off and lights on while at idle and see what you get.
by the sound of things your prob getting just over 12v and your batt is getting a we bit of a charge but with the lights on prob under 12v.
check all the wires to the rectifier and all the earth wires in the circuit.
make sure your batt terminals are clean.
try and get hold of another rectifier to see if that is the cause otherwise its prob the alternator.

crazybigal
17th March 2007, 16:15
the rectifier will prob be bolted to the subframe in the rear somewere, should look like this

irungu
20th March 2007, 05:07
thanks guyz... i found out that the rectifier was blown, i replaced it and its working perfectly.
though later had a wierd prob. bikes electricals just went off in the middle of a ride.
stopped and traced the fault to the battery to ignition connector under the tnk that was clogged up with dust and had no contact.
fixed that but is that a common problem?
and how come i've only so far found 1 fuse? the main fuse? aren't there any more fuses?

Pushbike
20th March 2007, 16:12
Is there an easy peasy way to tell if the rectifier is blown if you don't have another to test? A similar thing is happening to my bike and I was just about to buy a new battery, but now I'm wondering if the battery isn't at fault.

Motu
20th March 2007, 17:21
AC in - DC out.....so check what goes in,and check what comes out.

Pushbike
21st March 2007, 01:15
Cheers mate, it wasn't the rectifier in my case but I did find the problem when I was checking it. A pretty red wire had snaped. One that went from the solinoid to the rectifier (a relay? whatever they're called). God knows how. A quick job for the solder and the bike's good as new! The battery was still dead though.