PDA

View Full Version : Biker hurt in crash with deer charged for clean-up

Bob
18th March 2007, 06:49
A biker who collided with a deer had insult added to injury as his local council charged him GBP 386 (about NZD 1,075) to clear up the mess! Robert Purdie, 61, was hospitalised for four days following the accident with a fractured knee and collar bone after the red deer leapt out in front of him on the A819 near Oban.

Mr Purdie said: "If anyone was to blame for the accident it was the deer. It was dark and I was only going at 50mph on a 60mph stretch of road. The deer ran out and there was nothing I could do to avoid it.”

Despite his injuries, Mr Purdie dragged most of the carcass to the side of the road. He added “Surely that is why I pay road and council tax every year? There is no way I am forking out another £386 and I will be speaking to my solicitor.”

A spokesman for Argyll and Bute Council said: "If we are called out to clear away debris after a road accident we charge the cost of the clean-up. However, we wouldn't do this if there was a human fatality.”

How generous of them.

eviltwin
18th March 2007, 08:29
i found a dead cat on my spare loungesuite which was stored in my garage.
i think it must have been hit by a car and crawled away to find somewhere peaceful to die.

Anyhow it had been there for a while before i noticed it and it had half decomposed into the couch. i rang the council to get them to pick it up and they said it was on my property so therefore it was my responsibility.

I said...what the fuck do I pay rates for? They replied, if the animal is dead on the road then they would pick it up and dispose of it otherwise, sorry!

So i hung up and rang back a minute later, got the same guy on the phone and told him there was a dead cat in a pak 'n' save bag on the road outside my house.

fucken retard!

"D" FZ1
18th March 2007, 08:33
i found a dead cat on my spare loungesuite which was stored in my garage.
i think it must have been hit by a car and crawled away to find somewhere peaceful to die.

Anyhow it had been there for a while before i noticed it and it had half decomposed into the couch. i rang the council to get them to pick it up and they said it was on my property so therefore it was my responsibility.

I said...what the fuck do I pay rates for? They replied, if the animal is dead on the road then they would pick it up and dispose of it otherwise, sorry!

So i hung up and rang back a minute later, got the same guy on the phone and told him there was a dead cat in a pak 'n' save bag on the road outside my house.

fucken retard!

Well done :yes: Fkn retards alright

pete376403
18th March 2007, 20:10
English law is a wonderous thing - some wrongly jailed people have had part of their compensation deducted to pay for food and lodging while in prison -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2034295,00.html

Daffyd
18th March 2007, 21:44
A biker who collided with a deer had insult added to injury as his local council charged him GBP 386 (about NZD 1,075) to clear up the mess! Robert Purdie, 61, was hospitalised for four days following the accident with a fractured knee and collar bone after the red deer leapt out in front of him on the A819 near Oban.

Mr Purdie said: "If anyone was to blame for the accident it was the deer. It was dark and I was only going at 50mph on a 60mph stretch of road. The deer ran out and there was nothing I could do to avoid it.”

Despite his injuries, Mr Purdie dragged most of the carcass to the side of the road. He added “Surely that is why I pay road and council tax every year? There is no way I am forking out another £386 and I will be speaking to my solicitor.”

A spokesman for Argyll and Bute Council said: "If we are called out to clear away debris after a road accident we charge the cost of the clean-up. However, we wouldn't do this if there was a human fatality.”

How generous of them.

I sympathise with him. I hit and killed a deer driving to work about this time last year. Then, bugger me, if I didn't hit another one within 50 metres of the first one 3 days later. That one survived and ran off into the bush.
Funnily enough, the second one shook me up more than the first.

Bnonn
13th April 2007, 15:58
Wow. Just wow. The guy had a broken collarbone and knee and still managed to get the deer off the road so it wouldn't be a hazard to others. Buggered if I could do that. And then he gets charged for cleanup. Just wow.

mstriumph
13th April 2007, 16:29
the accident must have left him fuddled

...when he phoned to have someone come pick him and the bike up, how come he didn't phone someone with a van big enuff to get the DEER in, too?

DEER ARE DELICIOUS!!!!

Bob
12th May 2007, 00:18
Argyll and Bute Council has dropped their demand for £386 to clean up the deer that hit biker Robert Purdie.

As reported previously, Mr Purdie, 61, was hospitalised for four days after the deer leapt out in front of him, resulting in a fractured knee and collar bone. Despite this, he managed to move the carcass out of the road – only to be sent a bill by Argyll and Bute Council for the cost of the clean-up operation.

But after Mr Purdie consulted solicitors, he was told the claim had been dropped.

Stewart Turner, the council's head of Roads and Amenity Services, said payment was no longer necessary, because ‘it had taken so long (nine months) for the council to send the bill’. He added that the council's general policy of charging motorists for cleaning up after accidents would not change, but cases would be considered on an individual basis.

Mr Purdie added "I'll still have to pay my lawyers, as I took advice on the matter before it was dropped, but I am glad justice has been done. It was just ridiculous.”