PDA

View Full Version : The "Birds Galore" tour of the South Island

Blackbird
18th March 2007, 12:04
Got back from a “Birds Galore” 2 week tour of the South Island last night and what a blast it was! Travelled in the company of KB’ers Hammer, Bykey Cop, Dave Easey, plus Hammer’s partner Karen and my wife Jennie in the car as they didn’t want to spend 2 weeks on the bikes!

It would take pages to do justice to the trip, so here’s a short précis.

Our route took us down to Kaikoura for a bit of whale watching. At one stage, literally hundreds of dolphins surrounded the boat in perfect conditions – an incredible sight with them all stacking on a great show for us. We then zipped across the Lewis Pass staying at the Blackball Hilton – a “must” for any biker. From there, it was over Arthur’s Pass and down to Tekapo in rather a rapid time. Hammer and Karen departed to Dunedin for a short spell whilst the rest headed for Wanaka via the Lindis Pass. Another 5 star experience going up the Matukituki River by jet boat, and then being met by helicopter and landing on the the snow in Mt Aspiring National Park. Special mention must be made of the pilot Alex. I’d guess she must have been in her mid-20’s, had 5 years experience flying fixed wing aircraft and another 2 in choppers – a superb pilot.:love:

Sadly, Dave Easey had to leave us on the last day in Wanaka to return to work in Auckland. Dave had a great run up the West Coast through to Picton, then home to Auckland. It was at Wanaka that we were joined by fellow KB’er and old friend Jantar who accompanied us down to Te Anau and a stunning Milford Sound trip. Boy, he can make that V-Strom boogie! The rest of us left Te Anau it was back to stay at Cromwell, a tour of the Clyde Dam courtesy of Jantar and a great BBQ at Jantar and Paulette’s superb property just outside Alexandra. Thanks for the fabulous hospitality, M&P!:rockon:

From Cromwell, over the Haast Pass to Franz Josef, it was a wet and cold trip with snow to low levels. Funnily enough, although we’d have preferred better weather, riding in adverse conditions was still good fun as well as a test of character! Just as well really as the next couple of days up the west coast and through the Buller Gorge to Nelson were in similar conditions but it was still huge fun! At least Nelson turned on its characteristic good weather.

Yesterday, it was back to the crap weather riding from Nelson to catch the ferry and the Queen Charlotte Drive route was a bit of a mission with plenty of loose gravel and crappy road surfaces. It was great to meet KB’er Alice at the ferry terminal. She had been doing a solo tour on her VTR 250 and had similar tales of riding in extremely cold and wet conditions. We were all extremely impressed with her riding exploits! :Punk:

Unfortunately, my Blackbird had an alternator problem in the first week of the trip and I’d continued the trip by swapping 2 batteries and charging them up overnight. The ferry was a bit late in arriving in Wellington and I didn’t want to risk being caught in the dark on the trip up to Tokoroa, so made the decision to leave it at KB’er Freebird’s place north of Wellington (Thanks so much Davey and Jo!) and travel up with the girls in the car. The boys braved the terrible weather, especially the vicious crosswinds which made overtaking treacherous. Wind-blown ash on the Desert Road added to the hazardous conditions. All reached Tokoroa safely and then it was on to Auckland for the others.

A wonderful 2 weeks in truly fantastic company and Jennie and I would do it all again tomorrow!

Here’s just a small selection of the literally hundreds of pictures we took between us.

Blackbird
18th March 2007, 12:09
And some more....

Highlander
18th March 2007, 12:12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they all "BlueBirds" in the photo.

Sounds like a good trip.

Blackbird
18th March 2007, 12:18
Ah yes, a "Bluebirds Galore" trip:yes:

Macktheknife
18th March 2007, 12:22
Cool writeup mate, great photo's too, count me as jealous!
Hope your electrical problem is sorted soon.

Jantar
18th March 2007, 16:06
...we were joined by fellow KB’er and old friend Jantar who accompanied us down to Te Anau and a stunning Milford Sound trip. Boy, he can make that V-Strom boogie! .
Hammer and I swapped bikes from Kingston to Te Anau. Bikey Cop led, Hammer on the VStrom next then me on Hammer's Blackbird. I had to really make that BB work to keep up with the VStrom, so maybe its just that the Strom is a great handling bike. :scooter:

A great bunch of guys to ride with. :yes:

Da Bird
18th March 2007, 19:58
Here's a few pics from my collection. For those who haven't seen the South Island by bike, you really need to do it!

Back to reality now....

BC.

Joni
18th March 2007, 20:16
Great write up mate... pity the bird decided to play up... but still sounds and looks like you guys had a great time... the dolphin experience sounds amazing!!!

Next time, I hope you make your way through Chch :sunny: We still need to have a cuppa or a beer together! :yes:

Glad you home safe.

Blackbird
19th March 2007, 07:01
Thanks J! I'd have sooner had a trouble-free run but it didn't really detract too much from the fantastic time we all had. I'm sure we'll meet up for a cold one before too long1

Cheers

Geoff

BigB
19th March 2007, 07:22
Great write up Geoff, sounds like you had a great time. Met up with Dave for the ferry trip back to Wellington said you guys were having a great time dispite the problems.

Hopefully I get my Bird back this week, after 7 weeks without it!

see you on the road soon

cheers

Brian

NighthawkNZ
19th March 2007, 07:31
Great write up... glad you had a good and safe trip. (hope you sort the problems out quickly)

Hope my sister looked after at Whale Watch (Kaikoura)

Jimmy B
19th March 2007, 09:01
Gidday Geoff,

Great write up, sounded like a fantastic trip in the planning and really glad it followed that theme right through. Thought of you guys when the weather turned but sounds like it wasnt much of a problem. Looking forward to hearing about your impression of the Storms, no doubt you gave them a reasonable work out

Andy

SDU
19th March 2007, 12:07
Awesome photo's guys!:rockon:
Glad you had a great time down this way.
shh don't tell everyone- we don't want traffic jams:shutup:

crazybigal
19th March 2007, 12:25
did you ever try to get on the wrong bike?
and how were those new avons?

Ah yes, a "Bluebirds Galore" trip:yes:

Blackbird
19th March 2007, 12:34
did you ever try to get on the wrong bike?
and how were those new avons?

Hehe - they're all a wee bit different with different screens, seats etc. Had to fight off attempts from the others to steal my "Rider" seat as they were suffering from numb bum syndrome!

I'm doing a proper write-up on the Avon Storm tyres as soon as I can but in summary, they are simply superb. Best tyres I've ever had on the 'bird. Very easy to ride off the edge of the tyre in the dry and hardly notice. In the wet (and boy, was the west coast wet!), they inspired huge confidence and we were all comfortable with leaning well over in wet conditions. The narrower front tyre profile compared with the Azaros subjectively seemed to make the bike steer more precisely through gravel and road repairs. Should be able to do the proper write-up later this week.

Hammer
19th March 2007, 15:25
You know my thoughts on this Malcom as I am turning traitor!!! (particularly now my hip has packed it in after I got home). Of course we won't be dragging the strom against a bird will we. Like I said next year we will make it Stoms & Others Tour - how would the guys react to that?

Blackbird
19th March 2007, 15:29
You know my thoughts on this Malcom as I am turning traitor!!! (particularly now my hip has packed it in after I got home). Of course we won't be dragging the strom against a bird will we. Like I said next year we will make it Stoms & Others Tour - how would the guys react to that?

As long as Gixxer 1000's are excluded :innocent: Mind you, they self-exclude by crashing and range considerations:innocent:

Alice
19th March 2007, 16:21
Glad you all made it home safe and sound. Twas good to meet ye 3.

I rode over the Rimutukas not up the Coast as we had taked about earlier, had the pleasure of an Aprilia and human for company on the way home. It was pissing down and blooowinggg over the Takas, but once we reached Greytown it stopped raining. We had food there then continued, it absolutely hosed down and blew like crazy until Eketahuna, the weather improved from there, once we hit SH50 you felt the rise in temperature and it was a very pleasant ride back to the Bay with a beer stop at the Tikokino Pub. The weather certainly looked meanacing towards the Coast as we rode in the dry before Greytown and I thought of you 3 and wondered what conditions you struck.

I had a great time on my trip also, and fortunately experienced brilliant weather as well as shitty cold rain and snow. It was an interesting experience to ride with snow on the ground and not at all expected. I would love to know how the guy that came into Mauria Hot Springs as I tryed to thaw out by the fire faired on the rest of his trip through the pass, he was not clothed at all for the conditions, I was and was still felt as warm as an iceblock.

Blackbird
19th March 2007, 16:29
Hi Alice! Great to meet you and hear that you got back ok. Sincere respect to you for undertaking the trip and riding through those conditions:yes: So what comes next, a 900 Hornet to keep those lovely naked Honda looks?

Yep , I was wondering about that guy you described too. What a fool. Don't forget to look us up in Tokoroa or Coromandel if you're passing through.

All the best.

Geoff

Alice
19th March 2007, 16:58
Hi Geoff,

Still deciding on my next bike, perhaps a Suzuki SV 650 with a few modifications. Still on a learners license so it won't be for awhile yet unfortunately. Lucky a cop didn't pull me over as I cruised along at 150k across the Mckenzie country, (well the VTR was screaning its little ring out really, but it loves it ) I'd have to be at my most charming to try to minimise the consequenses of that one.

If your ever down this way drop me a line, would be only to pleases to show you some of our lovely countryside.

Jantar
19th March 2007, 20:26
Some pics that Blackbird may not have.

1. Blackbird arriving at Wanaka (in a cage) with Dave dancing in delight.
2. Overlooking Lake Wakatipu on the Glenorchy road.
3. Bikey Cop by his BlackBird in the Eglington Valley.

Blackbird
19th March 2007, 20:40
Some pics that Blackbird may not have.

1. Blackbird arriving at Wanaka (in a cage) with Dave dancing in delight.
2. Overlooking Lake Wakatipu on the Glenorchy road.
3. Bikey Cop by his BlackBird in the Eglington Valley.

Stunning photos Malcolm but you're still a complete bastard :nono: The story of the gutless 4x4 will come out when the uncensored version of our ridereport gets written up!

Highlander
19th March 2007, 20:44
Stunning photos Malcolm

That goes for all the photos in this thread to date.

Looking forward to a trip down that way myself

peasea
21st March 2007, 22:06
"For those who haven't seen the South Island by bike, you really need to do it!"

Amen to that! I've toured there several times and like it so much we're moving there at the end of the year. The roads, the scenery, the people and the general feel of the place make for a great place to be, not just visit. The greater Nelson/Richmond area appeals.

Our plan is to have a biker-friendly sleepout for kickstarting other's Mainland adventures. We'll keep you posted via Bike Rider Magazine and NZ Petrolhead.

Clive
23rd March 2007, 21:39
Great write up Geoff, love the shot of you in shorts in the snow:yes:

Rekindled my enthusiasm to get back out to NZ again, but this time definitely do the South Island.

Hope you get the stator problem sorted, and the bike recovered without upset - bloody unreliable those blue 'Birds. I kept telling you but you wouldn't listen:shit:

Blackbird
24th March 2007, 15:14
Hahaha - wasn't that cold either mate! Keen to have you and Kit here as soon as!

Davey has a red one so he'll keep us honest - if he can keep up:yes: