PDA

View Full Version : New front tyre

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 14:23
currently running a slightly square arrowmax, courtesy of the old owner...
I'm looking at a new one in the next coupla weeks so any advice would be handy (especially prices)
bike is a 92 fzx250 and it gets ridden hard... everyday :blah:

currently a 110/70 17

rear is a 1000k-old arrowmax as well.

cheers

vifferman
20th August 2004, 14:32
I'm looking at a new one in the next coupla weeks so any advice would be handy :doh: Just answered this on another thread for you.
If you're not replacing the rear Arrowmax, just get another one for the front. Or you could try and find out from the tyre merchants (e.g., Cycletreads, Motohaus, or your favourite bike dealer) what there is in Dunlop that's a bit sportier for the front (Sportmax??) and give that a go.
It's probably not such a big issue on a big like yours with modest power, but on bigger bikes going for a sport tyre on the front and a Sport-touring one on the back gives a good compromise between grip and wear. F'rinstance - I'm running a Azaro 49-SP on the front, and a 46-ST on the rear. They should wear out around the same time, which makes for more expense at one time when replacing them, but also gives predictable handling/riding. Tyres have a limited number of heat cycles in them, regardless of how much tread is left, and it's not a good idea to have one knackered tyre and one good one.

Zapf
20th August 2004, 14:38
Paparazzi just bought some new arrowmax's and I bought some new Demon sports. We were pretty much the same on last week's rides, I don't think we are really pushing the boundries of the tire so to speed so don't know yet.

He's riding CBR250R and me on a VTR250.

Hitcher
20th August 2004, 14:43
When I had a Zeal I was disappointed in the choices of rubber available. However I found the Arrowmaxes to be a great tyre. I'd recommend sticking with them.

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 14:48
Thanks all!

White trash
20th August 2004, 15:11
Dunlop GPR70. Best available.

Motoracer
20th August 2004, 15:14
Dunlop GPR70. Best available.

Doesn't last very long though :pinch:

erik
20th August 2004, 15:49
Mine has got a Bridgestone Battlax BT45F on the front and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't actually know much about tyres though, it's the same tire that was on there when I bought the bike about 7 months ago.

Zapf
20th August 2004, 17:23
Mine has got a Bridgestone Battlax BT45F on the front and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't actually know much about tyres though, it's the same tire that was on there when I bought the bike about 7 months ago.

I suggest you have a careful look thru the treads and make sure there are no cracks in the rubber. As cracks will indicate the tire is quite old and is no where as sticky as it was new. :Pokey:

Mr Skid
20th August 2004, 17:36
I suggest you have a careful look thru the treads and make sure there are no cracks in the rubber. As cracks will indicate the tire is quite old and is no where as sticky as it was new. :Pokey:

I can tell you all you need to know about cracked Battlax tyres.. They were on my bike when I got it, and it looked like the cracks were getting bigger so I replaced them with a set of arrowmax tyres.

I've done around 500km on the arrowmax's so far and no big issues, but then again I'm a nana pants.. :sleep: :ride:

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 18:02
I can tell you all you need to know about cracked Battlax tyres.. They were on my bike when I got it, and it looked like the cracks were getting bigger so I replaced them with a set of arrowmax tyres.

I've done around 500km on the arrowmax's so far and no big issues, but then again I'm a nana pants.. :sleep: :ride:

LOL!!!....thanks nana

Mr Skid
20th August 2004, 18:13
..and when it comes time to replace your back tire, don't forget to do a burnout first. I forgot to when I replaced mine.

I'd recommend covering your plate, and finding a school around 3pm. Kids just love bikes, so give them something to tell mum about.

On with the front brake, wind on some throttle and release the clutch. If your not getting smoke, just keep going through the gears. Make sure you clutchlessly upshift so you can keep waving at the kids. :spudwave:

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 18:43
I Wouldn't do a thing like that!!! :msn-wink: (coz i'd be at work at that time)

jrandom
20th August 2004, 18:51
*I* work across the road from a primary (or intermediate, or something) school, and my rear tyre is due for replacement soon.

Muahahahahahahahaha!

:devil2:

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 18:53
And the fact the school is a block from the bikeshop.....hmmmmmmmm :eek:

actually more like 70 metres :D

Mr Skid
20th August 2004, 19:09
*I* work across the road from a primary (or intermediate, or something) school, and my rear tyre is due for replacement soon.

Muahahahahahahahaha!

:devil2:

Let me know when your going to wring those last couple of cents worth from your rear tire. I'll skip lectures to get some pics!

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 19:40
I'll video mine tooo ....hehehehe

Two Smoker
20th August 2004, 19:54
Get GPR70's for the Zeal :niceone: they will be awesome, i just scrubbed in my tyre about 30 mins ago, all i do is take it easy for 20 kms, then get some heat in it, slow go harder and harder then after about 70kms its scrubbed in :niceone: thats the best way....

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 20:08
Get GPR70's for the Zeal :niceone: they will be awesome, i just scrubbed in my tyre about 30 mins ago, all i do is take it easy for 20 kms, then get some heat in it, slow go harder and harder then after about 70kms its scrubbed in :niceone: thats the best way....

who makes dem??? and how much?

Slipstream
20th August 2004, 20:23
I'm looking at a new one in the next coupla weeks so any advice would be handy (especially prices)
bike is a 92 fzx250 and it gets ridden hard... everyday :blah:

currently a 110/70 17

rear is a 1000k-old arrowmax as well.

cheers

If you haven't made a selection yet, you might want to give the Bridgestone BT45's a wurl and if you can shell a few mor clams get the matching rear too. It's a good compromise between grip and distance.
My mate priced one up a bit back and they priced up 'round:
Front $130 -145 ,Rear $165 -$180.

Blakamin
20th August 2004, 20:28
If you haven't made a selection yet, you might want to give the Bridgestone BT45's a wurl and if you can shell a few mor clams get the matching rear too. It's a good compromise between grip and distance.
My mate priced one up a bit back and they priced up 'round:
Front $130 -145 ,Rear $165 -$180.

Hooley Doooley... or words to that afffect.....
i got a quote on an arrowmax for the front and it was $176...not fitted!!!!

Cheers for that, TH

Slipstream
20th August 2004, 20:34
Hooley Doooley... or words to that afffect.....
i got a quote on an arrowmax for the front and it was $176...not fitted!!!!

Cheers for that, TH

No worries budd. I think it was Wgtn Motorcyles that had those prices. I'm pretty sure they weren't fitted either tho'.

If it wasn't for tattoos and lollipops that would be my fav shop. All the pretty chrome and a nice bunch of guys there too.