PDA

View Full Version : Binners Anonymous

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 16:34
Hi, my name's TempBJ and I've been upright now for the the last 1 year of riding :drool:

Since theres been a bunch of binning posts lately, it'd be great to see some posts showing how long it was been since your last bin...or since you started riding if you havent yet tasted the cold hard road yet.

With the amount of us dropping, it'd be great to hear how many are avoiding it and for how long. :Punk:

yungatart
19th March 2007, 16:37
Hi! I've not binned since Sunday last week...I haven't ridden since then either, though!

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 16:38
DOH! :crazy:

FilthyLuka
19th March 2007, 16:42
hello, my names filthy luka

its been 26 hours since my last bin, and im feeling kind of good about that... shit man, i need my fix...

denis

ManDownUnder
19th March 2007, 16:45
Hi, I'm lost - anyone seen the "Sinners Anonymous" room?

If a woman would be kind enough to lead me along the right path...

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 16:48
....anyone seen my roundabout? Ive lost it....

ManDownUnder
19th March 2007, 16:57
....anyone seen my roundabout? Ive lost it....

This one? (http://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/rodney/riverhead/kaipara+portage+road/1/)

Macktheknife
19th March 2007, 16:59
If a woman would be kind enough to lead me along the right path...

That would be a first, usually they lead us down the garden path, the wrong path, the bridal path, or sometimes take us to the cleaners.

ManDownUnder
19th March 2007, 17:01
That would be a first, usually they lead us down the garden path, the wrong path, the bridal path, or sometimes take us to the cleaners.

Yeah point taken...

Maha
19th March 2007, 17:04
My Bins fulla crap from Friday night.........:shifty:

avgas
19th March 2007, 17:05
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - last bin i had was 2004.
Hopefully its the last 1 i get as that 1 stuffed me up for life.

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 17:07
This one? (http://www.smaps.co.nz/nz/rodney/riverhead/kaipara+portage+road/1/)

errr not sure?

looks more like this... (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53282&d=1171167067)

...the red smear makes me shudder...

judecatmad
19th March 2007, 17:10
My name is judecatmad and I haven't binned now for 48 hours. I found the first 12 were the most difficult to get through. But with the strength and support I got from my loving family, I made it.

I think I can get through this (just, for god's sake, don't give me a bike!!)

Dodgyiti
19th March 2007, 17:26
And on a happier note;

It was 22 years and 4 months until I had my first bin :yes:

On a sadder note;

It was a doozie :mellow:

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 17:26
My Bins fulla crap from Friday night.........:shifty:

That'll teach yer for not hiring a portaloo :sick:

Wasp
19th March 2007, 17:30
My name is Wasp and my last bin was 11 hours ago

Bin before that was 5 months ago

Scorpygirl
19th March 2007, 17:31
My name is judecatmad and I haven't binned now for 48 hours. I found the first 12 were the most difficult to get through. But with the strength and support I got from my loving family, I made it.

I think I can get through this (just, for god's sake, don't give me a bike!!)

Hehehehehehe!!! A sense of humour is always good at this time eh!!! :yes: I wonder if there is a 12 step programme for binners!!

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 17:37
The first step is admitting it...although my plan of dragging some people out to show there's some hope in remaining upright is looking like an abject failure...

...either that or its only the bedridden binners who are most actively scouring the threads

Wasp
19th March 2007, 17:37
I wonder if there is a 12 step programme for binners!!
so long as its not like how they ween an addict off drugs!

Edbear
19th March 2007, 18:43

For some reason my computer won't let me give rep at the moment! But bling for that!

My second and last bin was 1976. Just taking off from Cook St. lights in the wet and a Cortina approaching down Pitt St seemed to be going too quick to stop, so with both feet still near the ground I grabbed the front brake and promptly dropped the T500 as the front wheel slid sideways! Was very embarrassed and glad of the helmet visor concealing my red face!

McJim
19th March 2007, 19:58
My name is McJim and I'm a binaholic.

It has been 2 and a half months since my last bin. Binned on an OP bike (other persons) while test riding it after repairing it from the owner's bin the day before.

Found out the reason they binned was a shit front tyre that let go in the damp. Told them so and got a sticky expensive tyre put on their front wheel.

The other person in question is my wife.

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 20:01
My name is McJim and I'm a binaholic.

It has been 2 and a half months since my last bin. Binned on an OP bike (other persons) while test riding it after repairing it from the owner's bin the day before.

Found out the reason they binned was a shit front tyre that let go in the damp. Told them so and got a sticky expensive tyre put on their front wheel.

The other person in question is my wife.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rhino
19th March 2007, 20:32
My last bin was in 1973 at Levels Raceway (Timaru). Managed to keep things upright since then, although nearly dropped the 'Wing within 24 hours of buying it :(

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 21:01
For some reason my computer won't let me give rep at the moment! But bling for that!

My second and last bin was 1976. Just taking off from Cook St. lights in the wet and a Cortina approaching down Pitt St seemed to be going too quick to stop, so with both feet still near the ground I grabbed the front brake and promptly dropped the T500 as the front wheel slid sideways! Was very embarrassed and glad of the helmet visor concealing my red face!

Hells teeth mate, did they have visors back then??? :mellow:

Thats a bloody rockin effort though Ed, to what do you attribute you upright longevity?

Edbear
19th March 2007, 21:15
Hells teeth mate, did they have visors back then??? :mellow:

Thats a bloody rockin effort though Ed, to what do you attribute you upright longevity?

Yep! I'd just got the visor after using goggles and a leather face mask for a couple years...! LOL!!!

And I attribute my longevity to having to sell the bike to get married in '77, then doing the raising 3 kids bit. Got back into biking in '03 after not really having much riding apart from a brief fling with a XS750 Special Yamah in '97, and I ride like a Nanna! I do confess to getting my toes scraping on the GSX-F,(feet back in the pegs!), even with the Missus on back, but of course can't do that on the C50T!

I also ride like I'm invisible and the Defensive Driving course I took in '73 has stood me in good stead over the years. I've avoided many accidents by driving/riding with that aim in mind.

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 21:24
Yep! I'd just got the visor after using goggles and a leather face mask for a couple years...! LOL!!!

And I attribute my longevity to having to sell the bike to get married in '77, then doing the raising 3 kids bit. Got back into biking in '03 after not really having much riding apart from a brief fling with a XS750 Special Yamah in '97, and I ride like a Nanna! I do confess to getting my toes scraping on the GSX-F,(feet back in the pegs!), even with the Missus on back, but of course can't do that on the C50T!

I also ride like I'm invisible and the Defensive Driving course I took in '73 has stood me in good stead over the years. I've avoided many accidents by driving/riding with that aim in mind.

Nice. Even given the break thats a pretty good innings Ed. What sort of riding is that? Commuting or cruising?

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 21:26
...bike still locked in garage. aint going nowhere. humpf.

Edbear
19th March 2007, 21:34
Nice. Even given the break thats a pretty good innings Ed. What sort of riding is that? Commuting or cruising?

In the early years, as much commuting as cruising, as I only had a bike, my first a B31 350 BSA then the T500. I was a bit faster back then, you know, the teenage testosterone thing! Had the tyres of the T500 worn right to the edges all the time and the rev counter lived in the peak power zone, but there was always that little voice in the back of my mind that kept me from being too reckless as some of my mates were. I'd back off if I thought they were being dangerous and I didn't really care if they beat me.

A friend died in the back end of a tractor as he came around a corner 30 years ago - there's been many a time I've rounded a bend and been grateful I wasn't going 10-20k faster...!

Even so, I know there have been instances where it was pure luck I didn't have an accident, something I've no doubt would be confirmed by many riders.

smoky
19th March 2007, 21:41
I spose by posting this here I'm tempting fate but;
Riding dirt bikes most my teenage life I would push it too hard and fall off weekly.

On the road I binned it a couple of times a year up until I was about 20, but not in the following 20 years (10 of those without a bike, that helps).
A combination of bikes being better and affording a better bike, better roads, and a whole lot of me calming down.

Worst off I've had; I had my scalf around my neck and blowing out behind me on my choppa (thought it looked cool)- got caught in the back wheel and I was dragged off the back and along the road, had a 1 inch grove ripped into my neck, 26 stitches in one knee, a few in the other knee, in my side and took all the skin off my forearm.
It happened right outside the legendary bike rider Ginger Malloys house - back of Huntly, wow how embarrassing.:sick:

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 21:48
Even so, I know there have been instances where it was pure luck I didn't have an accident, something I've no doubt would be confirmed by many riders.

Yep, when you see how many a good rider can come off and have no idea wha happened (if they are fortunate enough to tell us) luck plays a part in it all...then its whatever we can stick into the mix to help the luck out

Edbear
19th March 2007, 21:50
...bike still locked in garage. aint going nowhere. humpf.

You just don't wanna get yer new fairings, dirty...!

Hitcher
19th March 2007, 21:53
11 June 2006. Indelibly etched, that date.

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 21:55
11 June 2006. Indelibly etched, that date.

did you fall asleep on the toilet? :dodge:

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 21:57
doesnt want to get his SACS wet

Ixion
19th March 2007, 22:04
Rather more than 40 years, and still a bin-virgin (on the public road)

Lissa
19th March 2007, 22:13
Hi my name is Mel-lissa. Never binned. Hit a fence post though, so can I still post in here?

McJim
19th March 2007, 22:16
Hi my name is Mel-lissa. Never binned. Hit a fence post though, so can I still post in here?

So long as you're going to fence-post it in here that's fine.

Disco Dan
19th March 2007, 22:25
Rather more than 40 years, and still a bin-virgin

You mean you've never been with a bin before? When you do make it really special... you never forget your first time... :innocent:

So long as you're going to fence-post it in here that's fine.

dude... *lamo* :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Babelfish
19th March 2007, 22:39
Rather more than 40 years, and still a bin-virgin (on the public road)

FARK, 40 years! Would you even notice now? Top effort mate

You have elvira as your icon, you post wherever you like

K6K
19th March 2007, 23:04
10 days since my last bin...twas a bad one...got a helicopter ride though! :Punk:

Deviant Esq
19th March 2007, 23:34
I'm a bin virgin too but can't lay claim to 40 years, only been riding a little over a year. There just haven't been enough kms in said year and a bit - most of the time the only chance I got to ride was the commute to work and that was only a few km. Had a few :sick: moments though - mainly due to the rear losing traction going over loose gravel mid bend (port hills) or sliding sideways on a wet road marking at a junction. Luckily though, each time it was "oh shit!" :shit: wiggle, slide... phew! Definitely not infallible, I'm been lucky so far.

LilSel
19th March 2007, 23:39
Last bin was 7 months ago (1st bin)... Have had bike for for 21 months.
Minor damage (scratches), hurt shoulder... still plays up every now and then.

steved
20th March 2007, 09:53
Started riding May 2005 and binned July 2005 and August 2005.

I take solace in not having fallen off either of my last two bikes. I still pat them with gratitude and remember the lessons passed to my by the Jandal master. Cheers for the philosophy and attitudes to biking Nhuan. They have stood me well.

Babelfish
20th March 2007, 10:59
...There just haven't been enough kms in said year and a bit ...

You get my respect for just having a bike up north of england...bring on the winters black ice. :drool:

Last bin was 7 months ago (1st bin)... Have had bike for for 21 months.
Minor damage (scratches), hurt shoulder... still plays up every now and then.

Nice just to get minor damage on some early biffo...my early biffo was a bit more WHAPPO! :crazy:

Started riding May 2005 and binned July 2005 and August 2005...

:mellow:

Freakshow
20th March 2007, 11:34
I have stayed rubber side down for just over a year. was a small slide 2 days after getting bike 30 days beofre I started paying for it!

Roj
20th March 2007, 11:38
I ride less now than I did but the last bin I had was over 26 years, My bike was off the road for a number of years so a fair chunk of that doesn't count.

My lady had ridden for over 15 years with her bike being her only form of transport unless I was chaufeur without a problem till an unlicensed asian driver failed to see her, it was a very serious bin and she is unlikely to ride a bike much again....:angry:

MrMelon
20th March 2007, 11:43
I just about joined this club this morning... Got about 100m down the hill from home and realised I'd forgotten my squash shoes so I pulled a U-turn and just as I was giving it a bit of gas coming out of it the rear spun up and stepped out about a metre to the left then the right. Got no freakin idea how I stayed on but it was over as quickly as it began. On the way back down I noticed a small patch of gravel left over from the c*nts that resealed the road and did a shitty job of cleaning it up afterwards. Got some nice big gouges of rubber out of my rear tyre on the left side too!

Dodger
20th March 2007, 12:06
Been riding the Bike for around 8 Months (and a mates bike for 2 months or so before that), and the 50cc Scooter for about 1.5 years. :scooter:

No Bin or drop... yet. :innocent:

Deviant Esq
20th March 2007, 12:41
You get my respect for just having a bike up north of england...bring on the winters black ice. :drool:
I must point out that I don't have a bike here in England as I'm here too short a time... though I've ridden a friend's bike a bit while over here, does that count? :whistle: Looking forward to getting back to NZ and my bike. :yes:

-df-
20th March 2007, 13:02
Never binned on the road (offroad is another story) been riding on the road since 1997 so 10 years isn't to bad

gixermike
20th March 2007, 13:07
My name is Mike and I haven't binned....on the road.

It's 14 years (all but 3 weeks) since I first rode a bike on the road.

I try to remember that I'm not as good as I think I am, I have better things to spend hard earned money on than repairs, and that no body can see me till I F$@k it up and then absolutely everyone is looking at me.

oh, and I spent 5 years bikeless at uni..

It's worked so far.

Disco Dan
20th March 2007, 13:56
My names Daniel, and im an alcaholic.

...oh wait.. damit wrong forum.... :shutup:

Swoop
20th March 2007, 14:03
Can a Bin-Virgin join your club?

Can Dover apply for a life membership?

Babelfish
20th March 2007, 15:29
wickid, starting to put some sway on the binnaholics and bolster a vague feeling of grounded optomism :yes:

rwh
20th March 2007, 20:32
6 months riding, then 3 not riding, to date. No bins yet, except one stationary drop on each side (learning about stopping on hillsides).

Richard

Lucy
20th March 2007, 22:47
My names Lucy and I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a 'bin'.......
My bike has 'fallen over' twice. (First time was when I was slowly trying to ride around a tree in my backyard on wet grass without putting my feet down - first month of having the bike). The second time was when trying to get back on quickly after putting wet weather pants on (and stop holding up the 250 ride), and having it fall in a ditch.

But last week I actually dropped it and fell off, whilst riding, or at least attempting to ride, up a plank on to a short deck and inside a house through a ranchslider door....Just as I got up the plank, a person appeared at the door, and so I stopped, had no where to go, couldnt touch the ground as the front wheel was up on the deck and the back was on the ground, so fell sideways and rolled away. Apparently it was very very amusing.....!

So anyway, if they don't count, then I have had no bins in 5 months of owning a motorcycle. Also had none in 18 months of owning a scooter, and no bins in a few different episodes of renting bikes and scooters overseas in countries where helmet laws don't exist.

Like someone else said earlier, a Defensive Driving course I did about twenty five years ago has stood me in good stead.

Ixion
20th March 2007, 23:08
whilst riding, or at least attempting to ride, up a plank on to a short deck and inside a house through a ranchslider door....

As one does ! :rofl:

Chickadee
20th March 2007, 23:34
My names Chickadee and I hope to have left the binners club, I've had my quota (please gods of two wheels - no more for me PLEASE!!!)

I've been riding for around 8 months. Thought I was doing well until a chinese fellow didn't understand giveway at a roundabout then promptly emergency braked right in front of me - kept the bike upright but hit the backarse of his car, bent my forks. Bruised my person (hitting the tank).

Managed to replace bent forks with 2nd front end off Trademe, put forks on with the wheel that came with this set, BIG MISTAKE. Rode fine at speed, but slow with a damp surface it was like jelly trying to grip ice. I came off in a corner and injured my elbow. Hubby fixed bent bits, test rode it, fine, then turning into our drive at 10k's off went that dodgy tyre again - ouch Hubby.

Few weeks later I picked my mate off the road after a cow hit him, buggered my flexor muscles because his bike was too heavy for my pewney arms. Physio physio physio

Then I came off in a corner 3 weeks ago when I was going a little fast (following a mate), hit gravel then major embarrasment BINNED AGAIN. Managed to ride away, felt like a moron - counting my lucky stars (I was lucky no cars turning right at that junction when I binned). Stuffed shoulder physio physio physio. So end of the day I've had enough of falling off and will endeavour to stay upright and not bugger my person anymore.

unhingedlizard
21st March 2007, 17:37
Hi My name is Mike and Im a binaholic

Its actually been about three years since my last bin at taupo and seven since my last bin on road.

When I had a 50cc I was dropping it onroad about once every week. Mostly doing stupid stuff like grinding the footpegs on the road. Upgraded to an RS125 ans had two nasty offs that SHOULD have killed me if it werent for the fact I am immortal. Have broken a foot, two fingers and my left collor bone three times offroad but the only injury sustaned on road was gravel rash on my kneecap (as in, scarred the bone). And Im sure that cured a cartilage problem anyway.

Last bin was three years ago on a TDR250 at taupo raceway. Have NEVER yet tasted NZ tarmac.

From a serial binner to a reformed uprighter.

Str8 Jacket
21st March 2007, 18:00
Ive had my fair share of bins. I had ridden almost 6500 k's on my current bike without incident then last Wed a cager back out of his driveway straight into me. All good though, just had to get the handlebars welded.

gijoe1313
21st March 2007, 20:14
Hi, I've taken my time to sit at the back and observe others going before me...

I'm gijoe1313 and it has been a month since I last went flying on my little ol'Hornet. Before that, I was a padawan of Dover and learnt his lessons well by binning on the 2nd day out of my riding experience.

I practised for my last flying lesson by having numerous encounters with fowls/mallards/ducks/sparrows resulting in dropping my bike. Like others, I have remonstrated with my failings, despaired at how others were more skilled in keeping upright then I.

Languishing in the depths of doldrum, I broke the langour and mendacious behaviour by riding more often. As far and as long as I could.

So, yes, I am a binholic, but now am a mileaholic as well :sweatdrop

Thank you for listening to my story.... does anyone want to go for a ride? :innocent: :whistle:

terbang
21st March 2007, 20:24
Yup I've averaged one every ten years. I have had 3 too many, terrible. My last was a month ago when I got tipped off my Hayabusa.

Babelfish
22nd March 2007, 08:18
...only injury sustaned on road was gravel rash on my kneecap (as in, scarred the bone). And Im sure that cured a cartilage problem anyway.

I'd never concieved of the therapeutic side of binning :mellow:

koba
1st April 2007, 23:09
Im in the "waiting to bin" category of riders.
Will happen. Almost did today, however any miss is a miss.:yes:

The Pastor
2nd April 2007, 12:28
I have not binned it ever.

Been riding a year too!

Ive had incidents (including a car, failed burnouts and wheelies- I got my pegs down on both sides for that one!, and a high traffic island) but havnt met mr road yet :)

rvf'er
2nd April 2007, 12:39
nearly four years riding and no bin. And none of this "never ridden in rain" crap like you see in the odd trademe auction (but thats another story), its nearly every day to work on the southern m'way for me