PDA

View Full Version : I've seen the Darkside

miSTa
20th March 2007, 14:36
Yes its true I saw it, the dark side that is, and loved it. On Sunday I had the privilege of taking a Ducati ST4 for a blast around the block. Well it was supposed to be around the block but instead of turning left I went right. I couldn't help myself the ST4 was such great fun I just had to keep on going. What a blast.

Before taking the ST4 out I took out a Triumph Sprint ST. That went well, great brakes, quite comfortable but to me the steering felt very heavy. The amount of effort needed on the handlebars to steer the thing was huge though to be fair I had just jumped off on the GS where the bars are the width of the road wide. Nice bike but didn't set the world on fire.

Next bike around the block was a Guzzi V11 courtesy of Lemans. Physically quite a small bike probably too small for me but nonetheless that was a nice ride. I would describe it as a connoisseurs bike - one for the purists, you need to get your technique right to get the most out of it. Get right it lets you know, get wrong and it tells you that to. Easier to steer that the Sprint (then again maybe I was getting use to the narrow bars by then) but a little more cramped. Enjoyable but I couldn't imagine Mrs S wanting to spend all day on the back.

Then came the Ducati ST4. Fitted like a glove, extremely comfortable, all the get and go I need, great handling; changing directions was a piece of cake. What a great sound winding on the throttle. I thought the induction roar on my old ZZR1100 was great but the ST4 was way better. I haven't this much fun a bike for years. This is a bike I could own (won't be this particular one but a ST4 all the same).

Then the trip home on the GS was slow and boring, mmmmmmmm, the darkside is calling...and calling very loudly.

A big thanks to Lemans and Ian at Just Motorcycles for the rides.

far queue
20th March 2007, 15:40
Come on in, it's great in here. Now you see why I got one, huh? Your write up sounds very similar to my views when I 1st rode mine, and I'm still very pleased with it.

laRIKin
20th March 2007, 15:49
Come on in, it's great in here. Now you see why I got one, huh? Your write up sounds very similar to my views when I 1st rode mine, and I'm still very pleased with it.

Well......well when do I get a test ride. :innocent:

And we all could tell (that is the people standing out side the shop) that you really really liked the ST4 Mr S.
Now you just have to talk the better half around to the Dark Side.

far queue
20th March 2007, 18:54
Well......well when do I get a test ride. :innocent:I'm sure if you ask Ian nicely you'll get a ride.

And we all could tell (that is the people standing out side the shop) that you really really liked the ST4 Mr S.Did he come back with a hard on too?:gob:

miSTa
20th March 2007, 20:14
Where else have you been on yours apart from the Hare a few weeks ago? How does it feel now compared to your first ride? Anything you don't like?

And we all could tell (that is the people standing out side the shop) that you really really liked the ST4 Mr S.
Now you just have to talk the better half around to the Dark Side.
Was it that obvious? :o Mrs S, yeah well thats going to be a challenge. Damn you BMW for making the pillion perch on the GS so good.

Did he come back with a hard on too?:gob:
:shit: Are you really sure you want to know?

laRIKin
20th March 2007, 20:18
I'm sure if you ask Ian nicely you'll get a ride.

Did he come back with a hard on too?:gob:

I think that I will have to ask Ian.:motu:

And did not look.:sick:

And he was still walking normally, not like you.:shutup:

far queue
20th March 2007, 20:54
Where else have you been on yours apart from the Hare a few weeks ago?For the Hare I went down SHWY1 and came back via Cave, Fairlie, Geraldine, Rakaia Gorge. I've been for another blat round the Summit Rd and the bays. Saturday I took the boring roads out to the Hororata pub and home via Waimak Gorge, Ashley Gorge, Loburn. It's great. It's happy and comfortable at 100kph on the boring, straight, cop infested, main roads and even better at, umm, slightly faster speeds :whistle: in the twisties and less infested back roads. The longest single stretch so far has been 321km home from the Hare, and I felt fresh and fit when I got off at home. Fuel consumption during the hare ride was 19km/L - range from a tank looks as though it'll be around 400km.

Weather permitting, I'm going for a ride on Saturday somewhere. Dunno where yet, was thinking maybe Hanmer. Come along if you like. The weekend after I'm off to the Mokihinui rally, then the weekend after that (Easter) a day ride to Blenheim for the airshow, then the weekend after that maybe heading down to Omarama/Wanaka/Queenstown for the weekend. After that lot I should be well sorted and will have found any flaws.

How does it feel now compared to your first ride?I fell in love with it on the test ride, and still feel the same. In fact it's just getting better as I get used to it more.

Anything you don't like?The fuse on the accessory socket was only 3A - I blew it after I'd owned the bike for about 4 minutes. It's now a 7.5A job so I can blow my lilo up at rallies. Newer models have 20A fuses and presumably heavier wiring. That's it - it's great.

:shit: Are you really sure you want to know?Nah, she's right thanks

I've lost your email address, if you want to PM it to me again and I'll send you a pile of reading I've acquired on Duc ST's.

miSTa
20th March 2007, 21:58
Great info thanks O.

Found this great link tonight: http://www.bike-gizmos.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html - lots of useful info. I'll read at work tomorrow (need something useful to do until my last day)

SDU
21st March 2007, 14:01
I reckon Mrs S will :love: the bike. Go for it you know you want to:innocent:

Dooly
21st March 2007, 14:13
The darkside is good.:yes:

idb
21st March 2007, 14:38
What's this 'dark side' rubbish?!
It is the side of light, where good triumphs over evil, where dreams become real, where everyone gets issued with 42 virgins, where you realise what a waste your life has been up until this point, where the world shrinks to the sensation between your legs and the view out of your visor....and then you open the garage door and the fun starts...........!!!!

sels1
21st March 2007, 14:47
If you quite liked the Sprint ST, and liked the ST4, then have a go on the new 07 Triumph Tiger - its like the ST4 but with Sprint motor and brakes - very smooth, comfortable, light and flickable.

NighthawkNZ
21st March 2007, 15:51
the darkside is calling...and calling very loudly.

Bwahahahahaha...

deeknow
21st March 2007, 19:12
They really are a wolf-in-sheeps-clothing... I spent the whole day chasing one round Taupo track a couple of years back on me ZX7, the dude on the ST4 had enough torque (and skill :yes:) to keep ahead of me on the straight. I was quite happy, the 4v lump sounds great, the looks I'm in two minds about.

dangerous
21st March 2007, 19:16
It is the side of light, where good triumphs over evil, where dreams become real, where everyone gets issued with 42 virgins, where you realise what a waste your life has been up until this point, where the world shrinks to the sensation between your legs and the view out of your visor....and then you open the garage door and the fun starts...........!!!!

Ohhh... so sickening... yet so true, to pull of the Iti :Punk:

MrS... honestly, what are you thinking? I never thought you would go back to a road bike, and a Duk off all things, it aint no dark side brother... its a passion like no other, all the best for your decisions.

miSTa
21st March 2007, 20:56
I reckon Mrs S will :love: the bike. Go for it you know you want to:innocent:
I'm sure she will to, just got to convince her of the "need". :D

..and the fun starts trying to start a dodgy old 888 that has some unknown gremlin in there somewhere...:dodge:... where did you steal those words from? The're good! :niceone:

If you quite liked the Sprint ST, and liked the ST4, then have a go on the new 07 Triumph Tiger - its like the ST4 but with Sprint motor and brakes - very smooth, comfortable, light and flickable.
The Sprint didn't do anything for me, may as well of been a four.

Bwahahahahaha...
Yeah go on laugh it up fuzz ball! :nono: ;)

Ohhh... so sickening... yet so true, to pull of the Iti :Punk:

MrS... honestly, what are you thinking? I never thought you would go back to a road bike, and a Duk off all things, it aint no dark side brother... its a passion like no other, all the best for your decisions.
I think our man idb got it one. Guess I'm a road rider at heart, can't teach an old dof new tricks.

far queue
21st March 2007, 22:21
can't teach an old dof new tricks.Huh? Old duffer did you mean?

Guess I'm a road rider at heart, can't teach an old duffer new tricks.Do both. I've jumped from road bikes to dirt bikes a few times over the years and vice versa. I'd have a dirt bike for a few years and then yearn for another road bike and vice versa. Pleased to say I've got that issue sorted now.

miSTa
22nd March 2007, 07:06
Huh? Old duffer did you mean?
:slap: Dog, can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Do both. I've jumped from road bikes to dirt bikes a few times over the years and vice versa. I'd have a dirt bike for a few years and then yearn for another road bike and vice versa. Pleased to say I've got that issue sorted now.
:first: Thats the very thought I've been having, won't be happening just yet though edit: off road I mean.

laRIKin
22nd March 2007, 07:17
Do both. I've jumped from road bikes to dirt bikes a few times over the years and vice versa. I'd have a dirt bike for a few years and then yearn for another road bike and vice versa. Pleased to say I've got that issue sorted now.

I use to do the same thing and having both type's of bikes fixers that.
Summer road and winter off road.:scooter: :scooter:

That way you have the best of both worlds.:Punk:
And I don't get bored with either.

NighthawkNZ
22nd March 2007, 07:34
And I don't get bored with either.

I'm not allowed to get bored...

idb
22nd March 2007, 07:57
..and the fun starts trying to start a dodgy old 888 that has some unknown gremlin in there somewhere...:dodge:... .

How many times do I have to repeat it.......it's called character!!!?

Actually the maintenance part of it is part of the fun for me....but it also helps to have a spare......

miSTa
22nd March 2007, 12:47
I'm not allowed to get bored...
Bwahahahahaha...:Pokey:

How many times do I have to repeat it.......it's called character!!!?

Actually the maintenance part of it is part of the fun for me....but it also helps to have a spare......
Course it is, silly me...

Couple of good stories I found this morning, well worth reading (IMHO):
http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/Article1.htm
http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/Article2.htm

idb
22nd March 2007, 13:54
Couple of good stories I found this morning, well worth reading (IMHO):
http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/Article1.htm
http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/Article2.htm

Crikey...you really are turning aren't you?

I have to agree with the second article.
For all the maintenance needed, the breakdowns, the impracticality of them as a daily short-run mount, the occasional frustrations and mysterious gremlins.....I enjoy my bikes.
Because of all those things I feel more involved with my bikes than if they were of the type that only needed petrol and a push of the starter button.
I learn more about them every time I have to fix something or carry out some maintenance and that adds to the enjoyment of ownership for me.

If I wanted a bike to commute on I would buy something else but these are for my time off and their quirks and idiosyncrasies make them interesting to own....probably the closest thing to 'personality' or 'character' that you'll find in a lump of machinery.

The Darmah has been very reliable over the years but the 888 has a tendency to display plenty of personality and character.
I'm doubly blessed with that one.

And you meet the nicest people on the side of the road.

miSTa
22nd March 2007, 14:14
:gob: Are feeling ok? Not like you to be serious...that twice now in this thread.

I've heard that before about commuting - not the right bike for it (Ducatis). Not really a problem as I'll be using a self powered bike for commuting.

idb
22nd March 2007, 14:20
:gob: Are feeling ok? Not like you to be serious...that twice now in this thread.

My heart is swelling, I can hear music building to a thunderous climax and I am wiping a tear from my eye as I bare my soul about my bikes for all to see.

NighthawkNZ
22nd March 2007, 15:56
Yeah go on laugh it up fuzz ball! :nono: ;)

The darkside is so much fun... bwhahahaha

xknuts
24th March 2007, 12:36
My heart is swelling, I can hear music building to a thunderous climax and I am wiping a tear from my eye as I bare my soul about my bikes for all to see.

Oh GOD! Enough, enough,. This is not darkside. Darkside is putting a car tyre on the rear of your bike and never regretting it.

miSTa
24th March 2007, 21:29
Oh GOD! Enough, enough,. This is not darkside. Darkside is putting a car tyre on the rear of your bike and never regretting it.
:Oops: Silly me, I thought you had a tractor tyre on the Victory. Don't be too hard on our friend idb; he's just trying to remind us about his trip...again.

NighthawkNZ
24th March 2007, 21:58

ok... thats funnys have some green

idb
25th March 2007, 21:09
:Oops: Silly me, I thought you had a tractor tyre on the Victory. Don't be too hard on our friend idb; he's just trying to remind us about his trip...again.

What trip is that?

idb
25th March 2007, 21:12
............ putting a car tyre on the rear of your bike and never regretting it.

Say it often enough and you might just convince us.