PDA

View Full Version : A full makeover. How much?

Midge
20th March 2007, 15:48
I was thinking of getting a full makeover for my CBR, looking at:

New Paint (body, wheels anything that shows)
Plastic welding as needed
Fix up and polish frame handle bars and anything else

Was wondering how much id be looking at?
Has anyone had a full makeover any suggestion on places to get it dun?

Jimmy B
20th March 2007, 16:29
Really depends mate, Ive never done a whole bike but to repaint the clocks, radiator fairing and tank in the same colour cost about $700.00 for a pretty good job. I know that just a fairing alone can cost that much if the colour is tricky and needs a weld or 2. Guessing I would say between 1 and 2K dependant on your expectations and levels of fussiness

avgas
20th March 2007, 16:32
Had a mate that did a makeover on his 89 cbr250......he poured a whole $7K into it.......the bike sold 2 months later for $4K. So keep it relative.

Midge
20th March 2007, 16:35
Had a mate that did a makeover on his 89 cbr250......he poured a whole $7K into it.......the bike sold 2 months later for $4K. So keep it relative.

Yea guess i should keep track on it only expect to hve it another year b4 upgrade to 600

-df-
20th March 2007, 20:02
Yea guess i should keep track on it only expect to hve it another year b4 upgrade to 600

Then I wouldn't if I was you, unless there was some damage on the actual fairings.

250's sell for heaps, regardless of condition it almost seems as long as they are a runner with a WoF and Rego.

MotoGirl
20th March 2007, 20:11
This is one other thing to consider... Will the proposed mods help you sell the bike when the time comes? Like -df- said, 250s normally sell regardless of condition, but painting it an obscure colour (e.g. flouro orange) might be an exception :)

About five years ago, we painted my GPZ500 Dodge Viper blue. I believe it cost us about $500, but it only had a half-fairing.

Slingshot
22nd March 2007, 08:08
I don't know about others, but I also prefer to buy stock bikes. When they've been completely repainted it makes me wonder about their history and if they're been in a bin that was major enough to warrant the repaint.

avgas
22nd March 2007, 16:49
Nah i'm not a big fan of stock - seen to many stock bikes which have been re-done to tell mistruths.
Plus shiny and matt is awesome

timphy2
3rd May 2007, 13:42
hey, i recently painted my entire bike. its not that hard. it cost me about $200 for paint and sand paper. then u have to buy a paint guy and hire a compressor. i did it in about a week but i reckon you could do it in 4 days. just go to a car paint shop and ask for more specific directions nicely. as for the plastic welding, it shouldn't cost to much to get done if its little things around $50-100.

i did my bike in kawasaki green with pearl, and i went to a paint shop and asked how much it would cost to get proffesionally done and they said around $2000 so i was quite pleased. On your first go, you will prob have a couple of little runs, but you can sand those out with fine sandpaper.

hope this helps.

gamgee
4th May 2007, 18:40
don't bother plastic welding, it looks like crap. buy new fairings from justfairings.co.nz full set around $1000

painting $700-$1000 depending on colors

frame dunno

so you can get it looking mint for around 2 grand

Folcan
6th May 2007, 14:29
When I re did my FZR fairings, I used fibreglass on the back and used PVC welding stuff, sanded it smooth then fulled it the holes that were left with some expoy bog or something not sure what it was called, but we got it from a friend who is building a boat. and after it was painted and stuff you couldnt see where the crack had been