PDA

View Full Version : Bike came from nowhere - left me with a fork in my head!

Oakie
20th March 2007, 20:02
Damned fool on his sports bike came out of nowhere and slammed into the front of us in the car. I was eating my Chinese takeaways at the time and had just lifted the fork with steaming hot noodles from the container when the impact occured. The sudden stop drove the fork into my forehead where it stayed leaving me looking like a unicorn. Noodles splattered out and burnt my leg as well as the neck of the person in front of me. She also recieved other burns from God knows where. The driver of the car was left slumped over the steering wheel not breathing. Another passenger had an open break to the arm and the dummy beside me died. Motorcyclist was pinned under his bike and suffered burns from his exhaust.
A horrendous scene but thank God it wasn't real. It was a scenario I was acting in at the 2 day First Aid course I attended last week. Good to get my certificate current again and great to find that the theory of CPR has continued to evolve and is really easy to do now. Don't even have to look for a pulse any more.
As part of the course we were shown how to remove a helmet from an injured rider which was great. It's one thing to read about how to do it but it is a complete different thing to actually see it done. The only thing that gave me the willys a bit was that the helmet they used was exactly the same as mine. Sort of gave me the feeling of watching it happen to me while I hovered above. Yucky!
I passed the course and fervently hope that I never have to use any of the life saving techniques, however, I have done CPR for real in the past and I know that should the worst happen, I won't be a useless spectator.

MotoGirl
20th March 2007, 20:06
It's great to see you being proactive in the safety arena! I did first aid 10 years ago, but am stuffed if I could remember it now...

kneescraper
20th March 2007, 20:08
Gezzz...I was feeling a little sick there for a min..

Macktheknife
20th March 2007, 20:10
Thank god, you had me worried for a second there.
Good onya for doing the course, and here's hoping you never need to use it again.

T-Thunder13
20th March 2007, 20:11
wow. how do you take a helmet off an injured rider?:gob:

sunhuntin
20th March 2007, 20:20
hell, had me wondering how a bike could cause so much damage. the image of the forked unicorn was amusing though.

eviltwin
20th March 2007, 20:40
you're bloody lucky that wasn't real mate, chinese food has dangerous levels of msg.

on another note: last year i went hangliding in queenstown. a foreign girl in our group had been on the piss the night before and when she landed she spewed noodles out of her nostrils and mouth, i had to help her by pulling gently on the nostril noodles to clear her airway. She was a very attractive girl...up until that moment of course!

Meanie
20th March 2007, 20:42
You had me going for a second i was thinking you poor bugger and the dummy beside you dead Shit it must have been a huge monster of a bike
Thank god you were only acting, imagine the paper work on those acc reports :yes:

Nasty
20th March 2007, 20:47
Bloody hell ... not only had me going .. but I was real concerned about all the death and mayhem of the story :yes:

Big Dog
20th March 2007, 21:08
wow. how do you take a helmet off an injured rider?:gob:

Unless they are not breathing you don't.
If they are not breathing VERY CAREFULLY.
If they are breathing as a general rule the more they want it off the worse an idea it is to take it off before the arrival of a professional.

MidnightMike
20th March 2007, 21:14
Must have been a goldwing, they could take on a cage and come of better.

Ixion
20th March 2007, 21:25
Unless they are not breathing you don't.
If they are not breathing VERY CAREFULLY.
If they are breathing as a general rule the more they want it off the worse an idea it is to take it off before the arrival of a professional.

The previously received wisdom was that if the rider was not breathing the helmet must be removed to enable mouth to mouth, in association with the chest compression thing. But I see the latest research (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=65379)says that one should forget the mouth to mouth altogether , and just concentrate on the chest pumping. In which case there is no need to remove the helmet ?

Perhaps one of the zambucky members would care to comment? I'm not sure whether the "don't bother with mouth to mouth" is applicable to smashed up bikers, the references were to cardiac arrest cases.

Hans
20th March 2007, 21:31
It left you looking like a Unifork?

Waylander
20th March 2007, 21:41
hell, had me wondering how a bike could cause so much damage. the image of the forked unicorn was amusing though.
You'de be surprised.

Shadows
20th March 2007, 22:13
The sudden stop drove the fork into my forehead where it stayed leaving me looking like a unicorn.

I would have thought you'd look like a fork-head.

Scorpygirl
20th March 2007, 22:23
Crikey...I know about pasta water burns, mate. Ended up in Middlemore Burns ward after pouring boiling water with macaroni in it over my left hand. They called me the "macaroni kid". Ask Rhino for the details. Another of the many 9 lives! of the Scorpygirl!! :dodge:

scumdog
20th March 2007, 23:45
I prefer dealing with the dead people, they complain a lot less and are easier to handle..
And none of them ever complain.:yes:

alexthekidd
21st March 2007, 01:22
jeeez up until the whole thank god it wasn't real i was seriously worried

Oakie
21st March 2007, 08:43
Wuld be interested to know the ratio of chest compressions to breaths that you were taught. There are very recent changes been made through the resusatation council. We have all just changed our procedures..

30 to 2 in all cases with the only variable being that people over about 8 years old don't a couple of breaths before starting compressions.

Riff Raff
21st March 2007, 13:05
I've put up a thread on how to remove a helmet here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=46494)

vifferman
21st March 2007, 13:16
I thought if you did the chest-pumping vigorously enough, the helmet would just fly off by itself. Sort of like the gob of food when you Heimlich some poor choking bastid. Of course, you might need to give them a good shake first, then jump on their chest.

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 19:44
Must have been a goldwing, they could take on a cage and come of better.

Note the key word:

Damned fool on his sports bike came out of nowhere and slammed into the front of us in the car.

MidnightMike
23rd March 2007, 19:52
Note the key word: sports bike

Actually, key WORDS, because theres two :scooter:

stop picking holes quat, it just cracks me up :rofl:

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 19:54
Actually, key WORDS, because theres two :scooter:

stop picking holes quat, it just cracks me up :rofl:
Whats my quote for Mike come on (spelling includes grammer)

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 19:55
I got a few comments I can make that will stop the laughing:devil2::nono:

MidnightMike
23rd March 2007, 19:58
I got a few comments I can make that will stop the laughing:devil2::nono:

And will stop your fingers ever being able to type again?

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 19:59
I would stop the harsh words people might not approve:nono:

MidnightMike
23rd March 2007, 20:03
:nono:

so you want that one to be the only finger that can move?

sweet as then.

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 20:12
I think that would be very violent mike

MidnightMike
23rd March 2007, 20:16
I think that would be very violent mike

Im a violent person, you know that.

Quartermile
23rd March 2007, 20:25
Yes Bungy still has tuna can wounds:shutup:

MidnightMike
24th March 2007, 08:29
Shit, sorry for the hijack guys. :slap:

We'll keep the shit slinging on chat.

Sniper
24th March 2007, 08:31
I was wondering how the hell you get a plastic fork stuck in your noggin.

Well done though

fjones
24th March 2007, 08:48
If the noodles burned you on impact wouldnt they have been hot as hell while you were eating them too? :shit:

Oakie
24th March 2007, 08:57
I was wondering how the hell you get a plastic fork stuck in your noggin.

Soft head?

Oakie
24th March 2007, 08:58
If the noodles burned you on impact wouldnt they have been hot as hell while you were eating them too? :shit:

Hmmm. The accident must have happened before I took the first bite?