PDA

View Full Version : HP vs Nm...what does it tells us about the bike?

kneescraper
20th March 2007, 20:27
Hey all,
As ya know Im in the market for a new bike..
Well Ive been looking over figures like seat height, wheel base etc etc. One thing that I cant seem to get my head around is the relationship between horse power and torque figures.

Can some one explain to me how the two work together and which one is more important than the other. I know that Nm is pulling power so its what makes the bike feel like its ripping ya arms off but should one look at the power or the torque or should they both be taken into consideration, if so how?

Its a tough question to explain but I hope some one can explain what it means...not just the "Torque is what matters" rubbish...explain why and how it works to benifit the rider!

Back Fire
20th March 2007, 20:33
I think maybe a more important question might be where in the rev range does it make peak HP and torque... and for how long... and generally more power delivery...

onearmedbandit
20th March 2007, 20:34
Horsepower and torque are directly related. Horsepower = (torque x engine speed) divided by 5252. So, at 5252rpm your horsepower and torque curve will cross (using certain measurements ie foot pounds and hp, not nm or kw).

Actually, I'll let these guys (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm) explain it.

kneescraper
20th March 2007, 20:55
Ta............

Devil
21st March 2007, 07:53
At the end of the day the specs often mean nothing. You need to use your Arse-o-meter to compare bikes.