View Full Version : Adventure Assault -Makairo to Mount Dick

Zukin
20th March 2007, 20:42
ADVENTURE ASSAULT
MAKAIRO TO MOUNT DICK
Wairarapa
Dates 28th & 29th April
Overnight

Well winter is nearly upon us, the days are getting shorter and the nights longer, so who would be interested in on an Adventure Assault on the Wairarapa?

DAY 1 – 150km approx
The plan is to meet in Pahiatua, then head north over the Makairo Track,
Makairo Track is an abandoned road crossing the Waewaepa Range between Coonoor and Makairo The Road was closed after a collapsed bridge and lack of maintenance. This is a winding track which is approx 80% gravel road and 20% track
It has an easy gradient but can get slippery after heavy rain.
I anticipate it to take approx 1 hour to reach the other end (if all goes to plan).

After completing that it is a ride through the tight and twisty back country roads to Pongaroa via Waihi Falls which is spectacular apparently.
Then it’s towards the Coast and into Owahanga (private land) over a good farm track with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. We follow the Coast for quite some distance until we drop into one of the huge valleys on this coastal property, and follow a normally dry creek bed.
Then we approach the Mataikona River, which is normally only a small river, but can rise rapidly and a few holes can catch the weary rider.
Then a short ride to finish the day in our accommodation in shearers quarters, compete with hot showers and flush toilets for those that care 

DAY 2 – 150km approx
Saddle up and follow the road along the coast to Castlepoint where we fill up with gas and head South along Homewood road (which is gravel), before reaching the tarseal and following this all the way to Gladstone. Through Carterton and up Mount Dick, the views from the summit are spectacular with a 360 degree panorama of the whole of the Wairarapa basin. You can see from Masterton to Lake Ferry from the purpose built lookout on the summit.
A fitting end to what should be a great weekend

Post here or PM me if you are interested and I will put the rest of the planning into gear 

If you are interested in this trip, please register your interest, here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1250&day=2007-4-28&) on the KB calendar
I can them PM you the details for the trip like Start times, fuel stops, and if time permits more riding

Cheers

Aslan
20th March 2007, 21:34
Hi Scott - I've just responded to your other post over on ADV. I'd be keen to link with you. Unfortunately the dates you've floated conincide with a commitment I have to ride on an overnight trip with the BMWOR. Good plan though and hope to meet up with you sometime - cheers Aslan :scooter:

Zukin
20th March 2007, 21:38
Hi Scott - I've just responded to your other post over on ADV. I'd be keen to link with you. Unfortunately the dates you've floated conincide with a commitment I have to ride on an overnight trip with the BMWOR. Good plan though and hope to meet up with you sometime - cheers Aslan :scooter:

:laugh: I was replying to your post there and you posted here :laugh:

Aslan
20th March 2007, 21:55
hi Scott - see what response you get from others - I could be on for 14/15 April as you've suggested over on ADV. I'll need to natter with my wife since she and I will have been away for Easter (by car!!) to Weber :yes:

Zukin
24th March 2007, 20:26
Anyone keen???

Aslan
25th March 2007, 11:28
Hi Scott - I'm keen and am able to commit to 28/29 April. I'd previously indicated I could do the weekend of 21/22 only to realise we have a commitment on 21/4 sorry :-(

I'd be 'on' irrespective of weather unless we agree it's too hazardous. Will try to commit more of the Lambton Bikers on this site to join in - cheers Aslan :scooter:

Zukin
4th April 2007, 22:01
Date changed
Heres hoping the weather holds for us?

Cheers Scott

Aslan
4th April 2007, 23:16
Date changed
Heres hoping the weather holds for us?

Cheers Scott

OK Scott -you're on! Will attempt to round up more starters from Wellywood - perhaps some of those who did the Makiro Track almost a year ago.I'm thinking of several HP2 riders who might be enticed into coming on this ride. I plan to use my little DR cheers Aslan aka Stephen O :scooter:

Zukin
5th April 2007, 11:40
I will have to check the condition of the river before we leave, but it should be ok, I have alternative plans just in case it is not able to be crossed :yes:

Cheers Scott

clint640
6th April 2007, 18:55
Ya know I'll be in! It's going to be tight though, I've just got back from 2 weeks jetboating down south, I start a new job on Wednesday, I have to get the 'Cruiser ready for the 4x4 comp I'm going to in Reefton 21/22 Apr & the bike'll need new tyres...

Cheers
Clint

Aslan
13th April 2007, 15:47
folks whov'e committed to this ride - what are your thoughts on food planning for Sat night? I'm assuming limited cooking facilities at the woolshed compounded by limited carrying capacity on my little DR - so I'm assuming dehydrated tramping kai may be the go? thoughts cheers S

Balrog
13th April 2007, 17:27
Hey Guys

Will this be suitable for a big bike?
e.g GS 1150

Cheers Jim

NordieBoy
13th April 2007, 18:27
Pussy, take the Busa...

Zukin
13th April 2007, 19:02
folks whov'e committed to this ride - what are your thoughts on food planning for Sat night? I'm assuming limited cooking facilities at the woolshed compounded by limited carrying capacity on my little DR - so I'm assuming dehydrated tramping kai may be the go? thoughts cheers S

There is an oven etc in the Shearers quarters
It is quite comfortable accommodation.
I will take the normal tucker, Sizzlers and beer :yes:

Cheers Scott

Zukin
13th April 2007, 19:05
Hey Guys

Will this be suitable for a big bike?
e.g GS 1150

Cheers Jim

Hi Jim

If the weather is ok it should be fine for the GS, I know a few other BMW's have been on this track in the past.
If the weather turns to the worse then there is alternative gravel roads to use :yes:

But the river sounds like it could still be to deep to cross, so we will probably have to take the gravel road to the accommodation anyway :no:
Cheers Scott

Balrog
15th April 2007, 12:36
Thanks Scott

This sounds like fun
What time are you thinking about leaving from Pahiatua?
( just thinking about getting up there from Welly )

Jim

Balrog
15th April 2007, 12:37
Pussy, take the Busa...

lol
Maybe Busa's can stay on bridges better than GS's :)

NordieBoy
15th April 2007, 14:49
The GS stayed on the bridge ok.

magicfairy
15th April 2007, 15:33
The GS stayed on the bridge ok.

Yep, but I think the rubberside is supposed to be down. :(

NordieBoy
15th April 2007, 16:51
Details, details :D

At least your wings weren't tested.

Zukin
15th April 2007, 19:15
Thanks Scott

This sounds like fun
What time are you thinking about leaving from Pahiatua?
( just thinking about getting up there from Welly )

Jim

Hi there

It wont be an early start from Pahiatua, as I will probably head down that morning from Napier:yes:
Pahiatua is about 30-40mins from Masterton.
At this stage it will probably be at 10.30am meet in Pahiatua? (depends on whether we go through the farm or around the road).

I will PM details as they come to hand

Cheers Scott

Zukin
15th April 2007, 19:17
Also for those that dont want to overnight, you can join us in Pahiatua and do the Makairo Track and head back to Masterton or wherever when you feel like it

Cheers Scott

clint640
16th April 2007, 10:00
Bugger, it looks like I'll have to pass on this one now, with the new job & SI 4x4 trip I just don't have the time to get the bike ready.

Have Fun
Clint

Zukin
16th April 2007, 10:07
Bugger, it looks like I'll have to pass on this one now, with the new job & SI 4x4 trip I just don't have the time to get the bike ready.

Have Fun
Clint

Bugger
So where is the new job??

Cheers Scott

Zukin
16th April 2007, 11:10
Howdy

For those that are interested, could you register your interest here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1250&day=2007-4-28&), on the KB Calendar, so that I have an idea on how many bikes we can expect?

Cheers Scott

clint640
16th April 2007, 15:42
Bugger
So where is the new job??

Cheers Scott

Short version: Making Toilet Paper in Kawerau. But it pays about the same as the last job plus I get a company car, so being made redundant hasn't worked out too bad after all.

My bike is in Taupo & I'm not going to be able to get tyres fitted in time, getting the cruiser ready for the Reefton teams challenge has been the priority. Gonna have to organise a ride or 2 over winter once the dust settles a bit, I've hardly been on the bike since I rode with you guys.

Cheers
Clint

Garry.W
18th April 2007, 09:48
Howdy

For those that are interested, could you register your interest here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1250&day=2007-4-28&), on the KB Calendar, so that I have an idea on how many bikes we can expect?

Cheers Scott

Scott,

:done: - see you there.

Cheers,
Garry

Aslan
18th April 2007, 13:33
great to see the number who have committed to this adventure growing - well done Scott for initiating. I have a friend who farms at the end of the Makiro Track (Coonor) who will be expecting to see us - maybe for a cuppa - cheers Stephen O aka Aslan :scooter:

merv
18th April 2007, 13:39
As much as I'd love to guys I don't think I can fit this one in. Have fun and get plenty of photos.

Zukin
18th April 2007, 21:07
Hi all

Well things are all confirmed now for this trip
Accommodation and private land access.
We currently have about 6 bikes coming along, with a few more to confirm

The river level is low and can be easily crossed at the moment, so heres hoping for dry weather a few days before and on the Saturday.

I will confirm all the details later in the week to all those that have confirmed on the calendar by PM

BTW - There are 5 Suzuki riders confirmed, does that mean that the Honda Riders are turning into soft cocks :yes:
Sorry Merv, couldnt resist :laugh:
Cheers Scott

merv
18th April 2007, 21:21
Nah we must just be old buggers with too much else on our plate.

As I said have fun.

Zukin
18th April 2007, 21:33
Nah we must just be old buggers with too much else on our plate.

As I said have fun.

Tui Moment - Yeah Right!!!

We both know that for you age is no barrier, you can outride most of us younger riders, both on and off the tarmac:yes:

If you are at a loose end on the Saturday then give me a call you have my number.

Cheers Scott

merv
19th April 2007, 08:18
No problem, but you will have seen from my previous adventure posts we did the last part of your ride the Mt Dick summit last Thursday so I was kinda there with you in spirit in anticipation. The weather hadn't been great just beforehand (wet and slippery) and Mrs is no trail expert so we didn't explore too far but it looks like there are a few extra trails you can explore down into the scrub there if you still have time to burn.

bart
19th April 2007, 18:44
Hi guys,
I've just joined up with KB, so I'm a bit new to this. I saw this ride coming up and couldn't resist. I used to ride the Makairo track all the time in the 80's, on an old farm bike. My parents farm is just over the hill near the Waihi Falls.

I'm interested in seeing a bit of the coastline and having a bit of a look around Owahanga and south of there.

Years ago I used to do a bit of trail riding/motocross, and after getting bored with that went to road bikes. After far too many scares on the road bikes, I thought I'd better go back to the dirt until I grow up a bit. However, trail rides now seem to consist of going around and around in circles, and ride like a huge motocross track. So I thought, perhaps it's time to try half way between road and dirt.

Anyway I'm in, and a mate sounds keen too, on his Suzuki.

Aslan
19th April 2007, 20:09
welcome aboard Bart - I'm looking forward to riding with you and the others the weekend after this - should be a lot of fun - cheers Aslan :scooter:

Aslan
20th April 2007, 09:27
Scott - thanks for the thought and effort you've put into planning this adventure.

Garry W and myself along with others did the Makiro Track last winter - myself on my 1150GS - the track was deeply rutted in some parts - we had to lift all machines across a fallen treee - all was 'do able' with the team effort of that group.

Cheers Aslan :rockon:

Balrog
21st April 2007, 10:17
Hi All

Sorry about the delay in committing.
I'm in if theres still room

Cheers Jim

bart
22nd April 2007, 20:53
Hi,
Just been out in the shed wrestling with my tyres. What a bastard of a job. Found the shittiest old nobs I could and threw them on.

Anyway, about the gas stops. Apparently there is no gas in Pongaroa on weekends unless arranged in advance. I'm not sure what the old 400 will do, but I bet she's thirsty as hell. Perhaps you had another fuel stop in mind (I hope).

Cheers

Aslan
22nd April 2007, 22:07
hi bart - not sure what you're drz400 will do - my dr350 has a range of about 150km so i plan on bringing a small 5l jerry can. cheers stephen o :rockon:

Zukin
23rd April 2007, 13:37
Hi,
Anyway, about the gas stops. Apparently there is no gas in Pongaroa on weekends unless arranged in advance. I'm not sure what the old 400 will do, but I bet she's thirsty as hell. Perhaps you had another fuel stop in mind (I hope).
Cheers

Hi Bart

I heard a while back that they no longer opened on the weekends!!

I called them and he said that to call the shop and they would call them and he will come over and fill the bikes up
Still I dont like the sound of that, so I will call him again on Friday and double check that he will open

I will carry a 5 litre can as well.

My other computer has crashed with the distances on it, so I cant check on it now, but the 2nd day is about 150km to the next fuel stop.
My DRZ250 will do approx 180km on a tank, so I would guess that yours would be similar??

The other option is if we can find a place to do a fuel dump or a friendly farmer in the area that we can purchase some fuel off?

Cheers Scott

Aslan
23rd April 2007, 17:40
Hi Bart

I heard a while back that they no longer opened on the weekends!!

I called them and he said that to call the shop and they would call them and he will come over and fill the bikes up
Still I dont like the sound of that, so I will call him again on Friday and double check that he will open

I will carry a 5 litre can as well.

My other computer has crashed with the distances on it, so I cant check on it now, but the 2nd day is about 150km to the next fuel stop.
My DRZ250 will do approx 180km on a tank, so I would guess that yours would be similar??

The other option is if we can find a place to do a fuel dump or a friendly farmer in the area that we can purchase some fuel off?

Cheers Scott

Garry W and myself had reason to call at the shop at Pongoroa the week before Easter and call on the lady from the gas station to come and open the pumps which she did obligingly after finishing mowing her lawns :-) - Suggest carrying some spare in a plastic jerry can is the way to go.

Cheers Stephen O aka Aslan :scooter:

bart
23rd April 2007, 18:08
My family farm is about 15 km from Pongaroa, and we'll be going past the gate. If it sounds like we're going to get stuck, we can gas up there.

It wouldn't be an adventure without a bit of a challenge though.

Aslan
23rd April 2007, 20:43
Hi All

Sorry about the delay in committing.
I'm in if theres still room

Cheers Jim

Jim & Bulabil - Garry W and I are leaving Caltex Rimutuka Sat 8am. See you there? Cheers Stephen :done:

Moki
23rd April 2007, 20:53
Hi all- I'd like to come out for a bit of adventure...but not too much. Would Tourances do on a GS, or would I need to spoon on some old TK80s?

For those meeting at Pahiatua at 10:30...anywher in particular, or is it one of those "you'll know when yer there" sort of things?

Cheers karl

Zukin
23rd April 2007, 21:30
Hi all- I'd like to come out for a bit of adventure...but not too much. Would Tourances do on a GS, or would I need to spoon on some old TK80s?

For those meeting at Pahiatua at 10:30...anywher in particular, or is it one of those "you'll know when yer there" sort of things?

Cheers karl

Hi Moki

I look forward to meeting up with you?
We have 8 riders now so it should be a good weekend!!

I hope I dont hold you all up though, only being on a 250 though :laugh:

In regards to tyres I have heard the TK80's are very good, but dont know anything about the Tourances sorry

If its wet expect is to be slippery (as it always is on the East Coast)
Otherwise it should be ok

Cheers Scott

Zukin
23rd April 2007, 21:39
Hey all

Will anyone be taking a puncture repair kit with tyre levers?
I have one but I left it in my brothers landcruiser and he has gone away and not back until Sunday:shit:
Saves me having to buy another!

And dont forget to bring your cameras!

Cheers Scott

Aslan
23rd April 2007, 21:39

Cheers karl

Karl (& Busa Jim) - I'd suggest TCK80's for the track - in parts it's narrow and deeply rutted - at least that was my experience in about July last. We're all set to have fun. You three - including Garry W with his HP2 are tempting me to bring my 1150GS which would be a lot easier for carrying overnight gear. However - my 1150 needs a new TCK80 for the rear.

See you Saturday - Cheers Aslan aka Stephen O

PS like Zukin aka Scott - I'll be on a little Suzuki :woohoo:

Aslan
23rd April 2007, 21:47
Hey all

Will anyone be taking a puncture repair kit with tyre levers?
I have one but I left it in my brothers landcruiser and he has gone away and not back until Sunday:shit:
Saves me having to buy another!

And dont forget to bring your cameras!

Cheers Scott

Scott - I plan to bring levers and possibly a spare tube for rear wheel - cheers S :third:

Zukin
23rd April 2007, 21:48
Hi there

I have sent bulabil the same PM's that I have sent to you all, but he hasnt read them as yet, so if you know him can you either tell him to read the PM's or pass on the info

Cheers Scott

Aslan
23rd April 2007, 21:53
Hi there

I have sent bulabil the same PM's that I have sent to you all, but he hasnt read them as yet, so if you know him can you either tell him to read the PM's or pass on the info

Cheers Scott

Scott - I've spoken with Bula Bill tonight - he'll meet us at Caltex Rimutuka on Sat 8am - I'll make sure he keeps up with the play - cheers S :scooter:

Balrog
24th April 2007, 00:36
Jim & Bulabil - Garry W and I are leaving Caltex Rimutuka Sat 8am. See you there? Cheers Stephen :done:

Sweet, see you then
Jim

( Already running TKC80s ) :)

Garry.W
24th April 2007, 07:57

Cheers karl

Moki, it'll be a mission on Tourances if it's anything like last time we went over, TKCs or the like will be a better option. I've not had an update from DOC about the condition of the track for a while, although I understand some work has been done on it since (clearing trees and slips away). Anyone who is keen to find out, suggest you give the DOC office in Masterton a call - Glenys Hansen 06 377 0700, she will know or know who knows.

Meeting place is BP station southern end of Pahiatua I think. See you there.

Garry

upshift
24th April 2007, 10:25
I would definitely join you if I could but will be in the SI this weekend.

bart
24th April 2007, 21:14
I went over the Makairo track a couple of times last year, and from my experience, the south end approach is fairly easy going, winding uphill through bush to the summit. From the summit it will get a little rutty. If dry it shouldn't cause too many problems. Picking which wheel track to be in becomes important, as when wet, the water runs directly down the track, causing lengthy ruts. If we take it easy on the downhill north end, I don't think we'll have any issues.

If I can figure out this interweb thing, I'll try to post a couple of pictures.

bart
24th April 2007, 21:47
Here we go

Balrog
25th April 2007, 10:57
Well it looks like the weather forecast is for rivers running down the track.
Glad I'm getting a new rear tyre put on. I was going to use my old tyre
until I discovered a few of the knobs were missing.

:)

Zukin
25th April 2007, 11:35
Heres hoping the weather wont be too bad:yes:
Still what is adventure without the weather.

Hmmm maybe I should get a new front tyre?
The old Dunlop on the front is a bit worn:mellow:

Cheers Scott

denefoster
25th April 2007, 20:04
Aslan has prompted me to come along this weekend, which i'll definitely do if it's not too wet (F650GS with not so great tires on wet stuffs). I'll bring the paniers and top box, if anyone needs some extra storage.. and I can also a dv cam, and other random camera gear if anyone wants.

Zukin
25th April 2007, 20:09
Aslan has prompted me to come along this weekend, which i'll definitely do if it's not too wet (F650GS with not so great tires on wet stuffs). I'll bring the paniers and top box, if anyone needs some extra storage.. and I can also a dv cam, and other random camera gear if anyone wants.

Hi there

Welcome to KB

Had Aslan passed on the info that you need for the trip?
let me know, and i can send it through

The weather forecast is for showers/rain,but often misses the coast so we will make a call on the day
There will be about 10 riders now so we can manage the worst by manhandling the bikes if need be:mellow:
Bring your DV camera, be good to get some footage:yes:

Cheers Scott

Aslan
25th April 2007, 22:42
Hi there

Welcome to KB

Had Aslan passed on the info that you need for the trip?
let me know, and i can send it through

Cheers Scott

Hiya all - Dene is an enthusiastic 'young an' not an old bugger like me - we work at the same place in Wellywood. I've fwd Scott's trip info to Dene.

I think he'll be 'good to go' - we rode through the 'Pram Track' in the Karipoti Forest here this afternoon - he handled that with aplomb on his 650GS.With all the GS riders already committed to this trip I'm tempted to bring my 'Rubber Ducky' (yellow 1150) but think the little DR will be the go for me .

Looking forward to a good ride with you all on the weekend. I've a two litre cask of Cab Sav to share - so bring something to drink from.:dodge:

Cheers Aslan :scooter:

Zukin
25th April 2007, 22:44
Hi all

I am thinking of heading down to Masterton on Friday night, if anyone else wants to head to Masterton on Friday, let me know as there is some spare beds available

Cheers Scott

Garry.W
26th April 2007, 08:33
Hiya all - Dene is an enthusiastic 'young an' not an old bugger like me - we work at the same place in Wellywood. I've fwd Scott's trip info to Dene.

I think he'll be 'good to go' - we rode through the 'Pram Track' in the Karipoti Forest here this afternoon - he handled that with aplomb on his 650GS.With all the GS riders already committed to this trip I'm tempted to bring my 'Rubber Ducky' (yellow 1150) but think the little DR will be the go for me .

Looking forward to a good ride with you all on the weekend. I've a two litre cask of Cab Sav to share - so bring something to drink from.:dodge:

Bring the "Duck", it'll be good for you :rockon:

Balrog
26th April 2007, 09:18
Hey All

How far from the castlepoint pub are the shearing quarters?

Just thinking of buying dinner instead of cooking it :)

Jim

Aslan
26th April 2007, 09:21
Bring the "Duck", it'll be good for you :rockon:

Hi Garry - you're prolly right however I bought the DR for just this sort of thing - also BulaBil (Aka Bill of the 100GS - bumble bee - safari rider) is bringing his DR so I'll keep him company.

See you Caltex Rimutuka 8am Sat along with BusaJim, BulaBil - cheers S :mellow:

Zukin
26th April 2007, 11:10
Hey All

How far from the castlepoint pub are the shearing quarters?

Just thinking of buying dinner instead of cooking it :)

Jim

The Whakataki pub is about 13 kms away and Castlepoint is about 18km away form the quarters, it is along a winding gravel coastal road :yes:

Just have to remember though that if we are late in arriving there, you will be late getting dinner :mellow:

Balrog
26th April 2007, 14:15
Late getting Dinner!!!!!
Now you're just trying to scare me

Zukin
26th April 2007, 15:54
Late getting Dinner!!!!!
Now you're just trying to scare me

:laugh: :laugh:

Yes and no
I have done the track through Owhanga a few times in a 4wd and it has taken anything between 1 hour to 6 hours to complete:shit:

I hope to have us at Mataikona before dark :yes:

bart
26th April 2007, 17:41

The Pram track rocks. Me and my mate Hugh (who's also coming along) go down that way regularly. Have they rebuilt Orange Hut yet.

Zukin
26th April 2007, 19:23
Hey all

Looking at the weather forecast on tv tonight, I have decided to travel down to Masterton tomorrow afternoon.
I will be leaving here Hawkes Bay at about 2pm so if you need to contact me let me know before then if you can.
It will save me having to ride into a head wind on Saturday AM on the 250 :laugh:
I will have limited internet access tomorrow night.

I went to pick up my new rear tyre today, only to find out that Michelin have sent them the wrong one:angry:
So heres hoping it arrives in time tomorrow:mellow:

I have loaded up a bit of extra warm clothing for the quarters on Saturday night, but if we get the rain that is forecast, we will probably get wet bums:yes:

All I need to get now is my tucker and beer :done:

If I dont hear from you before, I will see you in Pahiatua on Saturday

Cheers Scott

merv
26th April 2007, 19:26
Have fun guys.

Moki
26th April 2007, 19:50
Whew! that was close. Just managed to get SWMBO to get the TKC80s spooned on! What a champ she is.

See everyone Saturday bright and early

Crisis management
26th April 2007, 19:59
Have a great trip Scott & others, we expect a full report and lots of pics!

Aslan
27th April 2007, 09:03
thanks 'Upshift', 'Merv' and 'Crisis Management' - I hope each of you has a fun weekend as well - cheers Aslan :dodge:

PLUG
27th April 2007, 10:31
Have a good weekend guys & keep the shiney side up ...

Zukin
27th April 2007, 12:06
Thanks everyone, I know we will have fun :yes:

I am just happy to be going!!
First I was to get a new rear tyre fitted yesterday for the weekend (and for my full licence test this am) and guess what they sent the wrong one :angry:

So they organised another and told me it would be ready to get at 9.00am, so I turn up and guess what?? It hadnt arrived :shit:, my licence test was at 10.00am and I still had to fit it :shit:

Just as I was about to leave in come the courier with the tyre, the guys at Twin City did a fantastic job of fitting it and I then shot home and put it on the bike and off to the test:done:

Passed the test of course, so now I am ready to ride :Punk:

See you all tomorrow

Scott

Aslan
27th April 2007, 13:24
Thanks everyone, I know we will have fun :yes:

I am just happy to be going!!
First I was to get a new rear tyre fitted yesterday for the weekend (and for my full licence test this am) and guess what they sent the wrong one :angry:

So they organised another and told me it would be ready to get at 9.00am, so I turn up and guess what?? It hadnt arrived :shit:, my licence test was at 10.00am and I still had to fit it :shit:

Just as I was about to leave in come the courier with the tyre, the guys at Twin City did a fantastic job of fitting it and I then shot home and put it on the bike and off to the test:done:

Passed the test of course, so now I am ready to ride :Punk:

See you all tomorrow

Scott

Well done on the test Scott - motorcycling that is! :yes: Sound's like getting the tyre was another one! :gob: - see you at Pahiatua in the AM - - my excitement is mounting - I can't wait to be heading into the track again. My pal who farms at the Coonor end is expecting us to arrive en masse between 12 - 1pm - maybe an oppurtune spot to stop for a breather / re group - Cheers Aslan:third:

Zukin
27th April 2007, 13:27
Well done on the test Scott - motorcycling that is! :yes: Sound's like getting the tyre was another one! :gob: - see you at Pahiatua in the AM - - my excitement is mounting - I can't wait to be heading into the track again. My pal who farms at the Coonor end is expecting us to arrive en masse between 12 - 1pm - maybe an oppurtune spot to stop for a breather / re group - Cheers Aslan:third:

Cheers for that
Yep I agree on the regroup/breather at your pals farm :yes:

Looking forward to it now
See you tomorrow

Zukin
27th April 2007, 20:16
Hey all

Well I made it to Masterton, and it is still pretty good weather wise here :yes:

I called the service station at Pongaroa and they have said that they will be around to fill our bikes up with fuel :yes:

Safe riding to Pahiatua
See you there

Cheers Scott

Garry.W
27th April 2007, 20:37
Good on ya passing your licence Scott. Sorry about bailing from this trip, PM sort of explains. I've let Aslan know not to wait for me at Caltex Rimmutaka tomorrow morning. Have a great time, make sure you're camera is loaded :bye:

Zukin
29th April 2007, 19:18
Hi all

Well I back after out adventure, and what an adventure it become in the wet and wild Wairarapa weather!!!

It started to plan, but the adventure become and adventure not long after entering Makairo:yes:

I enjoyed the ride, and met some great people, heres hoping it is a start of better things to come:yes:

Ride report and pics to follow

Cheers Scott

merv
29th April 2007, 20:24
OK looking forward to the report and pics.

denefoster
29th April 2007, 21:36
Cheers to Zukin for organising this, it was a most excellent weekend. Sorry I wussed out at the end, Aslan says he'll take me up there another weekend as it's a great ride. Thanks everyone for all the help (or pictures instead of helping) and I look forward to seeing the results, and coming up with a scheme for the next adventure

:rockon:

Aslan
29th April 2007, 21:36
A great couple of days - thanks to Zukin for organising. Thanks to all for great company - Carl, BusaJim, Dane,Bart, Scott & Hugh.

Here we have 1 - smiling faces and eager riders at the start of the Makairo Track, 2 Carl moving through some early nadgery spots completely unphased 3 Dane from Alberta on one of the few open and wide sections of track 4 Hugh and Bart helping Dane re orient his bike.

Cheers Aslan

:scooter:

Aslan
29th April 2007, 21:51
More pics on the track - 1. Bart and Hugh, couple of young guns from Dannivirke. 2. Karl and Dane contemplate raising Karl's 'leven fiddy from a 'lie down' - 3. "Many hands make light work of a fully loaded and optioned 1150 Adventure complete with gourment food and drink - yeah right! "4. Cuppa stop at home of Aslan's pal's place at Coonor 5. Hugh shooting the breeze with Russell.

Thanks for the tea, coffee and scones Russell! A very necessary reviver after an arduous (yet fun) ride (and push / shove) through the track
:third:

Moki
29th April 2007, 22:16
Hey Aslan

my wife wants to know why it took so many of us to pick up the 1150! She has no idea. Thanks for the pics-I'm sure there will be more to follow.

Never again on the 1150... thanks for all yer help in the tight spots guys.

merv
29th April 2007, 22:27
So it was a bit slippery then? I bet you don't regret taking the 350 then Aslan.

Aslan
29th April 2007, 22:41
So it was a bit slippery then? I bet you don't regret taking the 350 then Aslan.

Hiya Merv - you're so right. Altho I did ride / push an 1150 Adv some of the way!

Incidentally - when bad light and weather caused play to cease for the day we beat a retreat to a motel - which was very 'couth complete with some adventurer's gourmet foods and drinks - more on that another day :dodge:

Moki
29th April 2007, 22:42
Definitely not GS territory. Never again with the GS. It spit me off and I went what seemed like 7-10 metres of the edge. Photo 2 was just after I managed to clamber back up to the track and Dane and I managed to turn it a bit more horizontal than it actually came to rest. Four people and it was still a bit of a struggle getting back on two wheels. Errr me thinks...for future rides I get something more suitable (like Steve's DR350!) and take some fearless pills.

Garry.W
30th April 2007, 08:36
Hiya Merv - you're so right. Altho I did ride / push an 1150 Adv some of the way!

Incidentally - when bad light and weather caused play to cease for the day we beat a retreat to a motel - which was very 'couth complete with some adventurer's gourmet foods and drinks - more on that another day :dodge:

So the plan to get across Makairo in an hour was a little optimistic then :yes: How long did it actually take? Looks like much fun was had all the same, sorry to have missed it - I think :mellow:

Aslan
30th April 2007, 09:14
So the plan to get across Makairo in an hour was a little optimistic then :yes: How long did it actually take? Looks like much fun was had all the same, sorry to have missed it - I think :mellow:

Garry - the track was in similar condition as when you and I did it with 4Skins etal in July last - without the tree across the path!

As to time, I did't check what time we left Pahiatua after coffe/food but it must have been about 11 -11.30 am. We reached Russell's farm at the end of the track and a welcome cuppa about 2pm - one hour later than my worst case estimate of our eta. Cheers :scooter:

Zukin
30th April 2007, 14:26
Adventure Assault - And what an Adventure it became!!

I decided to ride down to Masterton from Napier on Friday afternoon due to the weather forecast, I thought I might as well try and get south before the rain hit, that way I only had a 40 minute tail wind ride to Pahiatua, not a 2 hour ride into the Southerly head wind.

Day 1
Well Saturday dawned and the first thing I did was look out the window, sure enough it had been raining, but only a few rogue showers so that wasn’t quite so bad.
I saddled up and decided to ride to Pahiatua with my rain suit to stop getting soaking wet before I had even started the adventure ride.
This was a good idea as I was about 5 mins out of Pahiatua I meet some serious rain.

I pulled into the BP in Pahiatua which was our meeting point for the trip; we fuelled up and said our hellos before we followed Aslan through the misty depths to Makairo.
The grin factor of the first few km’s of gravel was huge, even considering the few showers along the way.
The showers had stopped when we reached the start of the Makairo; we stopped to let down tyres etc before heading into the very wet bush!

Aslan took the lead on his DR350; I followed with BusaJim behind me on his BMW 1150GS. We had travelled about 100 meters in before we hit the first of the mud, which was slippery after the overnight rain. The smaller bikes tackled this with ease, but the bigger bikes (BMW’s) didn’t really have much option than to go down the middle of the track due to their width.
I was amazed at our BusaJim handled his machine, he stayed on my tail the whole time!
We approached one corner and here was Aslan, he was so dedicated that he had laid his bike over on its side to snap photos of us coming through.:shutup:

The track itself starts with a climb, with the track consisting of a rocky base, but in some of the guts the water accumulates making some tricky slippery boggy sections. This proved to be the downfall of the bigger bikes. As BusaJim and I were in the front we missed most of the carnage with bikes and bodies going over the side in numerous places.
By this time the low cloud and rain had set in again, we were slowly getting drenched and even the bush was becoming increasingly wet and offered little protection from the rain.

BusaJim and I reached the Summit, but didn’t get the views because of the low cloud and persistent rain. We waited for the group to catch up, after about 10 minutes we started to get a little worried as the others hadn’t caught up! It was not until we regrouped that we realised that this was because Dane had managed to put his 650GS 10 meters over the bank:shit:

We again left for depths unknown, by this time the persistent rain had made the ruts into small rivers and the visibility was reduced on the track from the overgrown bush that laid in waiting for an unsuspecting rider, it would whip your face like a wet blanket.

In one spot there was a washout with a small climb on a tight right hand bend, I managed to get round ok, but thought the big BMW of BusaJim might have a few problems! And it did, BusaJim gracefully laid it over on the rocks. It took 3 of us to pick it up and I looked for broken parts, but there wasn’t any?? I am suitably impressed by the strength of these bikes.:yes:
They probably fell over a dozen or more times between them, yet there was not a broken part on them!
I even managed to go over the side in one section of the track, I had stopped and dismounted to help one of the others out, as I went to get back on I got onto the seat ok and then put my right foot down, only to realise that there was nothing there!!! Over I went down the bank!!

We guided the others through this tricky section before starting the descent. The track got remarkably worse I thought, with deep ruts and a lot more water. I managed to get the Suzuki through, but the BMW’s got well and truly stuck. It was all hands on deck to push and pull, and then we manhandled them around the deepest of the ruts. BusaJim I was impressed you do not seem to have any fear of the bike or the terrain.

The last 300 meters of the track to the quarry was possibly the worst, and I am so glad I don’t have hard panniers, I now know why!
I followed the 650Gs down the last section of track, and there was a washout with a single track over it, as we approached he picked the right line, but as he went into the dip the left hand side pannier hooked up on the bank and therefore lifted the front wheel into the air, it swung around and down the hole again! At least these aren’t as heavy as the 1150’s.
We regrouped in the quarry before again following Aslan to Russell’s pad for fantastic coffee and home made scones! Cheers for that Russell! :rockon:
We took about ½ an hour drying out a bit in his shed, and telling stories of the track.
I can’t believe how Dane, Carl and Jim rode their BMW’s on the track; I know they will be more accomplished riders after that.

We left Russell’s pad and headed down another gravel road, the views you would normally expect were now non existent as the cloud had really come in, although the heavy rain had gone it was kind of good to ride with my visor up to try and dry it out a bit.
I stopped to take some photos on the road of the riders going past and therefore I ended up at the back of the group. As I approached a tightening left hander I was greeted by BusaJim standing to the side of the road, covered in Mud from head to toe on one side of his body and his 1150 on its side!! :shit: What I think had happened is his front wheel slipped out on some rocks sticking out of the road and over it went, sending Jim into the water table.

We made it to the bottom and with time against us we decided to miss out the falls in the now heavy rain and push on to Pongaroa, we arrived in Pongaroa at 4pm to be meet by a wonderful lady who opened the garage for us to fill up our bikes with.
By this time the rain was persisting and showed no signs of letting up, we gathered under an abandoned shop veranda, and decided that we would not attempt Owahanga Station in this weather but use the road instead.
Bart and Hugh, what was in the bar that took you so long?

The trip was slower due to the weather and by the time we reached the turn off at Alfredton we were losing light fast.
We had to decide whether to push on to Mataikona Shearers quarters, which consisted of about 40kms of gravel and 30 kms of tarseal or simply abandon it and head to the comfort of Masterton?
Given the weather and the temperature falling we decided that in the best interest of all the riders we would go back to Masterton and end our first day of Adventure riding.
7 very wet and cold riders made it back at about 7pm.
I am now totally impressed with the Dririder Rallycross gear, I was riding the DRZ250, and as you know like most trail bikes doesn’t have a screen for protection from the elements, so I faced everything that was thrown at me, when we finally made it to Masterton, I was cold and a little damp, but otherwise ok. I am sure the temp dropped to low single digits!:cold:

We got out of our wet clothes, dried off and sat down for plenty of refreshments and talked bikes until late that evening.
It was a great end to a great day with great company.

Day 2

The seven riders met for at the local Caltex for a 9.30am start.
I was still damp from the day before, and I was sure the others were too!
Carl had sustained an injury from the day before, so made a wise decision not to participate today, and headed off back home.
We left Masterton, although cool was not wet like the previous days riding, just after we turned off to Riversdale Dane also decided that he didn’t want to aggravate his injury any further and decided to head back, then there was 5!
We made good time to Homewood road, the first section of road was long, straight and fast, but had plenty of loose and deep gravel to catch anyone out that was paying close attention to the road ahead.
Bart and Hugh certainly know how to hoof up the gravel, and at times take some very interesting lines!!!
By the time we hit the river the track become hard and fast, with a great section through the forest. At times it felt like I was riding by myself as everyone seemed to be riding at the same pace and at times you would not see any other riders.
Jim certainly had the 1150 singing on that section of the road.:yes:

After a stop on the tarseal if was off to Gladstone and lunch at the local, and a good feed it was with good company.
After lunch it was on for the final leg to Mount Dick, none of the others had been up here before and luckily the cloud had lifted enough to get some great panoramic views of the Wairarapa. We talked for a bit and then said our goodbyes as we headed off in different directions. I finally managed to get back to Napier at 5.00pm; it was a cold lonely ride home after such a great weekend.
We are planning more as a group so we will keep you all posted

Photos
1- Busa Jim guiding his BMW1150GS Adventure through the Bush,
2- Parked at the Summit,
3- Busa Jim and Carl on Aslan's DR
4- The Slippery section of track
5- Aslan, Carl and Bart making it look easy
6- Hugh on Carls 1150, stuck!!

Zukin
30th April 2007, 14:36
1 - All hands on deck to push the 1150 out of the mud,
REMINDER - Watch out behind spinning wheel and flying mud aye Carl :shutup:
2 - The lineup
3 - Carl on the gravel
4 - Dane and Aslan on the gravel
5 - Weather protection
6 - Mount Dick (Aslan and Hugh)

Thanks for a great ride guys, although it didn't quite go to plan I still enjoyed the adventure and look forward to doing it again :yes:

Cheers Scott

merv
30th April 2007, 18:55
You certainly struck it worse than me and Mrs merv did when we did our ride in the Wairarapa two weeks ago. Makairo would be nice in summer when its dry no doubt.

Good on you for taking on the challenge.

bart
30th April 2007, 19:17
Thanks Zukin, for organising such a good weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though the weather wasn't ideal. It wouldn't be an adventure without a few curve balls thrown in.

I have a new respect for those big BMW's now, seeing how they pulled through relatively unscathed after such punishment.

And it wasn't just the fire in the Pongo Pub that made it so appealing.

Bring on the next ride.

Cheers,
Bart

yungatart
30th April 2007, 19:45
I'm impressed!! You guys did that while I sat indoors with the heat pump on, moaning about how cold and miserable it was 'out there'!!
Hard men!

Balrog
30th April 2007, 20:06
Thanks Zukin I really enjoyed this weekend.

It was a great ride with excellent company.
I don't think I would have attempted parts of that track if I didn't think I had
good backup with me.

Cheers for all the work in putting it together.

Jim

Got a few pics, will post as soon as possible :)

PLUG
30th April 2007, 20:18
:psst:

nomination for a name change ... GSjim ... well, in the adv/dual section anyway ...

Zukin
30th April 2007, 20:28
nomination for a name change ... GSjim ... well, in the adv/dual section anyway ...

I second that!!:laugh:
GSjim it is

I know that he is always smiling on the GS, I think he enjoys that better now :yes:

Aslan
30th April 2007, 21:15
Great report Zukin of a high grin factor ride.:rockon:

Here's a few more shots I got:
Left to right we have (all taken in Masterton):
1.Sat night warm and cosy at the Motel after being close to suffering hypothermia are Bart & Hugh (Dannevirke good guys) enjoying a few 'quiets';

2.Gourmet Karl chilling out with a fine red wine washed down by a Dark and Stormy chaser,

3.the group sans Aslan (behind the camera) readying themselves for the 'off' on Sunday AM;

4.Good Keen Kiwi Bloke Steve aka Bart;

5 Zukin and Carl engaged in earnest conversation;

6 Hugh and BusaJim - 'Where's the gravel?'

Aslan
30th April 2007, 21:27
a few more pics

1 Dane effecting minor adjustments to his F650GS
2 BusaJim pressing on
3 Hugh - Master of the controlled rooster tail
4Zukin
5 Bart man entering the frame
6 A regroup at the cross roads after a blast through the forest and a quick descent to the Gladstone with magic views of the Tararuas and Wairarapa to be had :Punk:

Aslan
30th April 2007, 21:37
Here's the last of my pics - look forward to riding with you guys again :done:

1 On top of Mt Dick
2 BusaJim (mooted to become GS JIM) and Zukin
3 The redoubtable Zukin - intrepid adventurer, top trip organiser and ride report scribe
4 BusaJim descending Mt Dick

:rockon:

Zukin
30th April 2007, 22:00
Great photos Aslan :yes:
I didnt get my camera out enough thanks in no part to the wet weather, and then I must of left it on as the batteries run out :angry:

Anyway where is the next ride, I am already thinking about it :laugh:
In the winter I think I will stick to gravel roads and have plenty of options available for a stayover, just in case :yes:

Cheers Scott

Balrog
30th April 2007, 22:52
Alright guys, I'm starting to blush now :)

Think I'll correct a few things here
I didn't gracefully lay the GS down, I fell arse over kite backwards after stalling it
You can't be scared if you've got your eyes closed
I'd like to blame a rock but I was going to fast and my rear overtook the front and then I couldn't pick my own bike up. ( to hide the evidence )
In fact I'm pretty sure I'd just stopped to talk to Bart and Hugh and said something like
"If you fall off on this road it will be your own stupid fault" and then took off and lasted about another five minutes before toasting myself.

Zukin, I'm always keen to have a look along the coast road we missed out on.
From your description it sounds excellent.
( next ride hint :innocent: )

Mr Plug :rockon: I think you must haul buns up here for the next one :)
Get some north island mud all over that nice Dakar of yours

Heres some of my pics

- Start of the Makairo
- Sorting out the tyre pressures
- Mine and Zukin's bike at the summit
- Russell’s pad

Balrog
30th April 2007, 22:59
- Another one of Russell’s
- Hey those sticky out things don't fall off if you dig furrows with them
- Hiding from the Rain in Pongaroa
- Top of Mt Dick

That was such a fun couple of days.
We have to do this again :stoogie:

magicfairy
1st May 2007, 08:17
I second that!!:laugh:
GSjim it is

I know that he is always smiling on the GS, I think he enjoys that better now :yes:

No doubt about it - he has fallen in love with his big GS :love: Poor Busa doesn't get to go out and play like it used to.:cry:
From all accounts it was quite an adventure.

(I'm his other half ...)

merv
1st May 2007, 08:45
Good pics Jim, glad you're enjoying the dirt riding.

magicfairy you got a dirt bike in your plans yet?

magicfairy
1st May 2007, 08:55
Well if I could find one I could reach the ground on...But I think I getting too old to take up a sport that involves being thrown to the ground in the mud and hauling a bike back on its feet.

NordieBoy
1st May 2007, 09:57
(I'm his other half ...)

Snigger :D
Half?

On behalf of Fran's brain I'd like to apologise for that comment but his fingers typed it before I could stop them.

Garry.W
1st May 2007, 13:36
Well if I could find one I could reach the ground on...But I think I getting too old to take up a sport that involves being thrown to the ground in the mud and hauling a bike back on its feet.

This would suit you :yes:

http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php/topic,613.0.html

magicfairy
1st May 2007, 14:10
Can a hobbit ride it - Im only 5ft with short legs (but NOT giant hairy feet)

merv
1st May 2007, 15:23
This would suit you :yes:

http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php/topic,613.0.html

Same as Mrs merv has, seat height is about 810 mm - possibly slightly high for shorties - but if lowered slightly then probably cool.

magicfairy
1st May 2007, 15:44
Same as Mrs merv has, seat height is about 810 mm -
Umm - don't think so.
My Zuki has a seat height of 700mm, is very narrow and I can only just put feet down flat.

bart
1st May 2007, 21:45
Nice pictures guys. You've covered most of what I have. Dene requested a couple of him be posted though. Being action shots, they came out a bit blurry.

1. Dene and his bike are down there somewhere

2. whoops

denefoster
1st May 2007, 22:38
Cheers for those Bart, glad someone took pictures rather than fretting over me. I was okay ! :yes:

Moki
2nd May 2007, 05:42
Sure was an sight that had a few of us concerned. At least you saved that tree! Happy ending though...

merv
2nd May 2007, 08:26
Can't say I've seen many bikes that far into the bushes in my life before - priceless.

Re-cycled
2nd May 2007, 09:45
Well guys, you clearly had a lot of fun - and also confirmed my opinion, that the Makairo is a cool place to go when its a bit drier. But good on yer all, I say. Cheers.

Aslan
2nd May 2007, 10:18
Well guys, you clearly had a lot of fun - and also confirmed my opinion, that the Makairo is a cool place to go when its a bit drier. But good on yer all, I say. Cheers.

Good to see you Re-cycled!! My view on the Makairo is that it is challenging at any time on one of the big dual sport machines - heavier than a DR650 say.

Obviously, there are some very capable guys out there who are able to punch their flat twins through the track with no bother - not for lesser mortals like myself though :dodge:

merv
2nd May 2007, 13:49
Hi Re-cycled certainly doesn't look like V-Strom territory.

How you enjoying the new bike?

Re-cycled
2nd May 2007, 21:48
Well Merv it has been superb to date, all of the 117 km's covered were a pleasurable experience.

I may bring it in to show off at Friday's lunch meet. Have been concentrating on getting the chain oiler fitted (completed by a good friend today) and a few other desired tasks to tick off ie air horns, hot grips and mudguard extensions before getting seriously into the running in.