PDA

View Full Version : Well I have done it now

Jorja
22nd March 2007, 11:13
Just booked a basic course with 'Rider Skills' for Sat 31st of March. Figured it is easier than pestering people to teach me.
They provide the bike and helmet. All I have to do is turn up. At the end I get a certificate that then allows me to apply for my learner license.

If I pass that is!!!!!!!

Jimmy B
22nd March 2007, 11:33
Just booked a basic course with 'Rider Skills' for Sat 31st of March. Figured it is easier than pestering people to teach me.
They provide the bike and helmet. All I have to do is turn up. At the end I get a certificate that then allows me to apply for my learner license.

If I pass that is!!!!!!!

Good on you Jorja, I am sure that you will get a lot out of the course and its a great first step towards getting your learners, but its really the basics that will be covered. You need to practise and build your skills and confidence from there.

I wouldnt worry too much about pestering people. I am currently teaching someone to ride which is about as many as I can manage at the mo, so I am sure that there will be someone else out there thats more than happy to help out, why not ask one of the "Biker Angels" to help or check out the mentors on the site. :yes:

Jorja
22nd March 2007, 12:05
but he is busy at the moment and I have been wanting to do this for several months. He did take me out one night for a bit but I was too busy worrying about what he thought.

Figured the course would give me the basics so i could practice at the bottom of our street. There are a couple of side roads and not much traffic so it is the perfect area.

Macktheknife
22nd March 2007, 12:09
Hi Jorja,
am I right in thinking that you have access to a suitable bike for practising on? If so then perhaps I can assist sometimes, I am one of the site mentors and might be able to find a time that suits both of us for a little training. PM me if this suits you.
Mack

Jimmy B
22nd March 2007, 12:11
but he is busy at the moment and I have been wanting to do this for several months. He did take me out one night for a bit but I was too busy worrying about what he thought.

Figured the course would give me the basics so i could practice at the bottom of our street. There are a couple of side roads and not much traffic so it is the perfect area.

Yep can be a bit of anxiety around performance, being a bloke I understand that. :shutup:

All joking aside, I noticed your other post, get in touch with The Stanger/RRRS

Jorja
22nd March 2007, 12:13
Thought I had to know how to stay on first? :innocent:

I have only been on once and have crappy balance. Can do the hard stuff like the gears. Who said ya need to be able to stop and start? hehehe

Jimmy B
22nd March 2007, 12:20
Thought I had to know how to stay on first? :innocent:

I have only been on once and have crappy balance. Can do the hard stuff like the gears. Who said ya need to be able to stop and start? hehehe

haha, the ole balance thing...

As the Stanger said, no you dont have to know how to ride, thats the point but maybe it could be a good idea to PM Mack above to show you a few of the basics. I guarantee that you will be a better and safer rider in no time if you let the folks around here help you out.

Im even willing to bet that if you are not confident to get your bike to RRRS, someone will probably offer to trailer or ride it out for you :sunny:

Jorja
22nd March 2007, 12:48
not that i don't want to take everyone up up on their offers with requards to teaching, just that my partner helps people learning to ride and i haven't even told him about the course yet. :shutup:
Don't think it would go down well telling him I had other people on here teaching me.

Jimmy B
22nd March 2007, 13:19
not that i don't want to take everyone up up on their offers with requards to teaching, just that my partner helps people learning to ride and i haven't even told him about the course yet. :shutup:
Don't think it would go down well telling him I had other people on here teaching me.

fairymuff Jorja and I am sure that your partner will be supportive of your efforts, once again good luck and enjoy your course :Punk:

SDU
22nd March 2007, 16:47

Good on you for getting out there & doing it.
Sometimes it is easier to have someone other than your partner teach you the basics.
I'm sure he will be there to help guide you through the learning curve of your future riding.

Jorja
22nd March 2007, 16:58
not sure he was keen at first cause of the safety but he has figured i am gonna do it anyway, he may as well help

FROSTY
23rd March 2007, 00:02
Get in contact with LeeRusty. He is in west auckland and is a KB'er. He doesn't mince words but he's a very good basic ride instructor

Jorja
23rd March 2007, 00:28
very scary thought. :laugh:

Mind you the other 3 would be able to. Lets face it, they get to ride more often than I do

FROSTY
1st April 2007, 23:05
I heard a vicious rumour from a mad irish mate of mine.
It seems someone has some news of the PASSED kind to pass on