PDA

View Full Version : Permanent weight loss...advice from ladies!

sunhuntin
22nd March 2007, 22:02
have made a decision to try and get fitter and loose some of the fat. tonights a bad night...going through a minor bad patch thanks to my father who seems to think im useless, and will forget to pay my credit card tomorrow.. having never missed a bill in my life, nor a layby payment and only been late to work once. [misjudged head winds returning from palmy nth]

hired a strider on monday...for 3 months. currently up to 15 mins non stop. the following is parts ive cut and pasted from an msn chat.

im just wonderin if it will all be worth it, or should i quit now and accept what is. cant see as my life will change any other than smaller clothing size. wont make me much happier, wont get me a permanent partner...

feel like painting the mirror in the bathroom just so i cant see in it. hate mirrors.

gonna be hard, but im determined to do this. i want a rowing machine to go with the strider, but no room now.

my diet apparently is starting next week.

i remember being stoked at the loss of fat when i last succeeded, but honestly, couldnt see it in myself. strange. the mirror looked no different. even though i knew it should. my old jeans fit, but it didnt seem that amazing. now, it seems amazing they used to fit!

it seems i get slimmer, but dont lose the fat. my legs are very powerful, but they stay flabby. same with my arms. i dont know why and dont know how to shift it. my gut and backside are the worst [remember that pic of kirstie ally in the garden? my ass is like that!]

are there any formerly or still big ladies who have lost weight, and what did you do to get rid of the flab, and keep it at bay?

Deviant Esq
22nd March 2007, 22:14
As I said on MSN, I know you can do it, and it's definitely worth it. A photo will definitely pick the difference... because even if clothing hides most of it, the difference is in the face.

cant see as my life will change any other than smaller clothing size. wont make me much happier, wont get me a permanent partner...
It's a bit of an intangible, but your outlook on life will change quite a lot. Emotional change is quite difficult, I've been through it myself and it's not easy. But one thing that makes it possible is believing in yourself, and physical change. If you stick with it, grit it out and succeed, you'll gain so much confidence in yourself... your whole outlook on life will change for the better, so that a permanent partner really won't matter. A happy life comes from inside you... and good things happen to a happy and confident person. Or is it just that you're able to see the good things when they happen?

I won't post dieting tips here even though I've got loads... I'll leave that to the ladies of KB, but as you know, you're welcome to ask about anything I've used. Never used any diet plans as such, just simple stuff, but it has worked well for me :)

You can do it C, and I'll try to support you as best I can to help make it possible. :)

soundbeltfarm
22nd March 2007, 22:47
dont call it a diet it is a change of diet.
when i was a bit younger i had a share in a gym and in that time seen all the fads come and go.
high carbs no fat to no carbs all protein and so on.
if you starve yourself your body goes survival mode and will try to store fat.
you may get slim but it is muscle mass that you will lose before fat.
you need protein to keep your muscle
the eating habits i seen that work best is eat 6 smaller meals a day.
limit the fat that you eat but not the protein, or carbs.
lift some weights as the more muscle mass you have the higer your metabolisim gets and the more fat you burn.
i dont mean go and lift weights to tuen into a bodybuilder .
dont weigh yourself because as you lose fat you'l gain muscle and since its heavier than fat you may wiegh more and get demoralised.
But you will be getting a toned body.
use fat calipersif you want to keep an eye on your progress.
dont make your eating habits a chore, prepare your meals in advance and leave them in a container so when you get home from work on somedays and cant be bothered cooking you've got a meal already, just nuke it.
your mind is your most powerful tool for losing fat.
keep commited and you will do it and once you are happy with your progress you wont fall back into shit eating routines as you'll enjoy eating good nutritious foods.
on one program ive seen and i think it is a pretty good idea is that one day a week you can eat shit food if you want so it can help cravings for something you really want eat like burgers and stuff.
dont be hard on yourself if your progress falls behind where you want to be.
just forget it and carry on back on track.
and just love who you are and be happy in the knowledge that you are feeding your body good fuel and getting into shape.
there are as many different ways of losing fat or weight or gaining weight as there are people on this site so not everyone will agree with what ive said but it's what ive found works best and people keep going with it.
its a whole lifestyle change not just "oh shit i'll eat some protein no fats go for a few runs and she'l be sweet mate , i'l look a million bucks "
because it is so easy to fall back into your old habits.

I wish you all the best.
and remember only you can make it happen.
how bad do you want it ?
Focus.

Ixion
22nd March 2007, 22:48
Sigh. I keep making resolutions. And even buying clothes that are too tight "to give myself an incentive"

I'm sure you will have better will power than I.

I CAN manage to lose a bit in summer . Last summer I lost about 12 kg . Mainly by exercise though, and this summer (what there was of it) I had a few health problems that stopped me getting out and exercisng , and I've put it (almost) all back on.

What vicious bastard made food and drink taste so GOOD.

But , I must say, that your value as a person is totally unrelated to weight size or shape. And try to pcik up good vibes to offset your father's negativity. Why DO people be so negative. I never understand that.

MyGSXF
22nd March 2007, 23:09
Emotional change is quite difficult, I've been through it myself and it's not easy

I am with DE.. emotional change, will change your life.. :yes: it permeates into everything else.. & can't help BUT make everything else better!! :sunny:

I put this post below in the Depression thread.. have a read sunhuntin.. it's not about 'weight loss'.. but to life in general.. & I hope that it may help you a little..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=981828&postcount=362

Jen. :hug: for you

sunhuntin
22nd March 2007, 23:09
thanks soundbelt. much appreciated. i wouldnt mind a calliper thingy. will have to ask around. ill keep reading your thread...very helpful :yes:

agreed ixion...its more often mum that im telling off for being negative. dad very rarely does...must be why it hurt. had only just walked in the door, in a good mood, and boom.

doc
22nd March 2007, 23:14
have made a decision to try and get fitter and loose some of the fat. tonights a bad night...going through a minor bad patch thanks to my father who seems to think im useless, and will forget to pay my credit card tomorrow.. having never missed a bill in my life, nor a layby payment and only been late to work once. [misjudged head winds returning from palmy nth]

hired a strider on monday...for 3 months. currently up to 15 mins non stop. the following is parts ive cut and pasted from an msn chat.

im just wonderin if it will all be worth it, or should i quit now and accept what is. cant see as my life will change any other than smaller clothing size. wont make me much happier, wont get me a permanent partner...

feel like painting the mirror in the bathroom just so i cant see in it. hate mirrors.

gonna be hard, but im determined to do this. i want a rowing machine to go with the strider, but no room now.

my diet apparently is starting next week.

i remember being stoked at the loss of fat when i last succeeded, but honestly, couldnt see it in myself. strange. the mirror looked no different. even though i knew it should. my old jeans fit, but it didnt seem that amazing. now, it seems amazing they used to fit!

it seems i get slimmer, but dont lose the fat. my legs are very powerful, but they stay flabby. same with my arms. i dont know why and dont know how to shift it. my gut and backside are the worst [remember that pic of kirstie ally in the garden? my ass is like that!]

are there any formerly or still big ladies who have lost weight, and what did you do to get rid of the flab, and keep it at bay?Have you got a picture of your bike ? Thats more important to us fellas. It's not faster than mine is it.

Deviant Esq
22nd March 2007, 23:29
Sigh. I keep making resolutions. And even buying clothes that are too tight "to give myself an incentive"

I'm sure you will have better will power than I.

I CAN manage to lose a bit in summer . Last summer I lost about 12 kg . Mainly by exercise though, and this summer (what there was of it) I had a few health problems that stopped me getting out and exercisng , and I've put it (almost) all back on.

What vicious bastard made food and drink taste so GOOD.

Mate. If I can do it, you can too.

Exercise: Ever consider swimming? Very good workout, and very low physical impact. It's a cracker, improves your strength and stamina, but no jolts on your joints like running does. You only need 30 mins to an hour a couple of times a week, with something else thrown in another day for a bit of variety, but it works a charm. Reshapes your upper body too ;)

Diet: The trick to remember with a change of your diet is that it never takes a holiday. Once you resolve to change the way you eat, it has to stay changed or you slip back to your old habits. I found this out the hard way. Tried and failed to slim down more than once... but ultimately what did it for me was one evening recently when sitting around after tea with my shirt off (was too hot), I took a look at myself and was truly unhappy with what I saw. I used to be so slim, but was fast turning into a tubby buggar. I refused to accept that, and changed my diet. It's worked, and surprisingly fast too. I feel much better, so the diet change is for good. I used to eat BK and McDs too much... Still allow myself a burger now and then, but much less frequent, and no fries or drink (fries are especially bad).

One of the keys: plenty of fruit and vegetables. Stopping eating or living on just lettuce is not the answer! Please don't do this!! It doesn't work, your body goes into nutriet hoarding mode, metabolism comes to a grinding halt and you don't lose weight, just get malnutrition. There's been a couple of models here in the UK die from malnutrion very recently, living on lettuce and exercising too much to get to unrealistic weight goals. Not good at all! Best thing to do is to decrease meal portion sizes and eat smaller meals a bit more often, like soundbelt said. If you snack, eat fruit. If you drink, use sugar free cordial to improve the taste of water. Not everyone's taste, but it works a treat and it's cheap for you and the kids, if you have them.

I could go on, but there isn't enough room on KB ;)

I've taken an "after (I say after but it's an ongoing thing)" photo of myself and I can see the difference. If there's anything anyone would like to discuss, or if you just want to see the after photo (:lol:), just PM me. :)
Believe in yourself, love your life, be positive. You can do it.

MyGSXF
22nd March 2007, 23:38
Another idea to add to DE's awesome posts.. :2thumbsup

Breakfast (or another meal) could be replaced with a shake.. either Complan or Vitaplan (same thing.. just slightly cheaper). mix it in a blender with say, a fresh banana.. & swap the fruit each day, for variety. Comes in powder form, just mix with either water or milk, & can get them from the supermarket. :yes: easy peasy :Punk:

Gives you a heap of nutrients etc, fills you up, & is bloody yummy! :niceone:

Fat Tony
22nd March 2007, 23:41
I'm a right skinny sod, always have been, always will be. It doesn't matter what I try I can't gain weight... I've done the gym and heavy weight sets, force fed myself all the right things... no impact whatsoever. Actually that's not entirely true, I did manage to gain about 5 kgs over the course of 5 months... then I got a cold, and lost it all again in the space of a week :(

I've given up with it, and have come to terms with the fact that I'm always going to be this way. It doesn't bother me that much any more, though to be honest I do sometimes feel slightly inhibited when I'm around 'normal' sized people at the pool etc... but at the end of the day... I'm me.

Fitness and health are the things that you should be thinking about... but at the end of the day be happy in who you are :)

sunhuntin
22nd March 2007, 23:49
Have you got a picture of your bike ? Thats more important to us fellas. It's not faster than mine is it.

since yours is listed as healing...ill have to say mine is faster. lol.

mygsxf...great posts. i did try councelling a few years ago, but got nowhere. might have to try complan or something. breakfast is one meal i sometimes miss out on. finishing at 7, having tea between 7 - 8pm, means im often not hungry by the time morning arrives. actually...i might take it to work... have dinner at work. thatd be an idea. :yes: cheers!

deviant...as always. :sunny: so cant wait for november!

tony...i think mr burns has some spare muscle for you?

doc
22nd March 2007, 23:56
Seriously for a change. WALKING, join a club, no stress on joints support from the other tubbies. That is until you metamophosis into your dreamweight. It's true join those that are doin it. I don't have a weight problem, but because I said that don't write me off. Us skinny people all think its about how much you eat. I believe it's about what you burn and maybe type of food you eat. My girls would rather join a gym than mow the lawns or stack firewood sort of stuff. Join a Tramping Club or something find something thats energetic that you will enjoy. My next consultation will not be free I will expect a percentage of your modelling money.

Deviant Esq
23rd March 2007, 00:10
Only problem with walking is that unless you're powering up a hill it simply does not raise the heartrate enough to constitute good exercise. It can help keep weight off and help tone a little, but you only lose weight up to a point.

Another trick with slimming down is to use low resistance (on things like striders, exercycles etc) and light weights. Longer motion and higher reps with low resistance / light weights tones, whereas high resistance builds muscle. Just something to think about :)

MyGSXF
23rd March 2007, 00:10
mygsxf...great posts. i did try councelling a few years ago, but got nowhere

If at first you don't succeed sweets.. try someone else!!!! :Punk: There are many out there, each with their own style & flair.. shop around.. you don't have to stick with the first one you try. You'll find one you'll 'mesh with'.. then things will happen!!!! :yes: don't give up on yourself hon.. you're worth more than that!!! :hug:

breakfast is one meal i sometimes miss out on.

you're probably heard it before.. :rolleyes: but breakfast is THE most important meal of the day..:yes: it sets your body & brain up with fuel for the rest of the day.. so feed it!!! :banana:

Another thing I though of... have you heard of 'Green Prescription"???

It's part of the 'push play' initiative through SPARC www.sparc.org.nz

you get a 'script' from the nurse at the doctors surgery & it doesn't cost. You get a support person who will talk with you about your needs in terms of diet/exercise etc.. & send you a heap of info & contact details for local organisations, clubs, groups, etc.. that may be useful for you. I've not long shifted back to Nelson & wanted info on clubs.. & wana get some exercise.. so I've hooked into GP myself. You get a discount voucher for 3 months, which can get cheaper rates at gyms/pools etc.. & can get it renewed for another 3 months etc.

Have a look on the web site sweets.. it should give you more info.. or your Doctors surgery should be onto it also!!

Jen :rockon:

Fat Tony
23rd March 2007, 00:11
tony...i think mr burns has some spare muscle for you?

:lol:

I've tried editing my post as I appreciate the humour may have come over as me being insensitive... wrote about my experience, submitted it but it's not appeared. Forum seems to be playing up a bit for me at the moment.

The gist of what I was trying to say though was that I've always been a right skinny sod and have tried all sorts to gain weight... none of which worked for me.

My health and fitness are fine, so I've come to terms with the fact that that's just the way I am, and I should just get on with enjoying being me... not worrying about what people think of my skinny twig legs hanging out of my shorts etc

Obviously I don't know you from Adam (well, Eve ;) ) so I'm not really in a place to comment, but for me it's all about accepting who you are. We're all different... as long as your helath and fitness are good what's the problem?

Good luck with it and keep smiling :)

Deviant Esq
23rd March 2007, 00:13
Nice post Jen, musta been about 10 sec after mine ;) I'd bling you, but I've gotta spread it around some more, apparantly. :mellow:

Might look into that Green Prescription thing when I get back to NZ, seems like a good idea. :niceone:

Good thread.

sunhuntin
23rd March 2007, 00:24
checking out sparc now. yeh...i know breakkys the most important meal of the day. i noticed a huge difference when i did miss it...nearly falling asleep before work etc.

tony...buddy of mine is the same as you. finds it impossible to gain muscle weight. the weights at the gym were his best friends. lol. time before last when i saw him, his arms were huge. seen him last week, and they are as soft as mine again. lol. cant i like beef balls though.

the problem other than health and fitness is id like to get into my partners jeans again :innocent:

Ixion
23rd March 2007, 00:24
I'm a right skinny sod, always have been, always will be. It doesn't matter what I try I can't gain weight... I've done the gym and heavy weight sets, force fed myself all the right things... no impact whatsoever. Actually that's not entirely true, I did manage to gain about 5 kgs over the course of 5 months... then I got a cold, and lost it all again in the space of a week :(

I've given up with it, and have come to terms with the fact that I'm always going to be this way.

Sigh. Don't count on it. My first half century, I was JUST like that. Skinny as, and would eat like a horse, NEVER put on weight. Then, bang, there was a coup d'etat in Metabolialand and the weight started going on. Ever since it's been a constant task to hold it at bay.

Trouble with diets is that they expect you to stop eating. I LIKE eating. And drinking. It's a pain.

Ixion
23rd March 2007, 00:29
Well, I looked at that Green Prescription thing. Not for me. It talks about patients, sets you up as being a patient. I don't like doctors don't trust them, and I'm not a "patient". I'm lazy , lacking in will power and fat. Not sick.

MyGSXF
23rd March 2007, 00:37
Well, I looked at that Green Prescription thing. Not for me. It talks about patients, sets you up as being a patient. I don't like doctors don't trust them, and I'm not a "patient". I'm lazy , lacking in will power and fat. Not sick.

from what I've seen of it.. you don't have to see the Doctor.. in Nelson.. the green script goes to "Sport Tasman" & you get the support person from there. (Maybe if you were very overweight.. it may be done through the Doctor though.. to monitor things.. )

Ya can't knock something unless ya are willing to try it first, to see!! :Punk:

ravenfeeder
23rd March 2007, 04:05
Most important thing is to take measurements and not rely on the scales. As yo start exercising you build muscle which weighs more than fat so then logically the scales may not reflect a difference (then we all get downhearted and depressed about that) when in fact you have lost several centimetres and are loosing size but not necessarily weight. Does that make sense lol.
Is a tough call eh - as the thing is really, diets dont work - has to be a change in routines and the only way weight stays off is by exercies and eating healthy. Even then it sometimes doesnt work eh hehe.
Is hard knowing if its worth it or not but hey if it is going to make you feel better bout your self... thats gotta be a bonus.
Just take it easy on yourself and remember one step forward two steps back.
Good luck and is such a hard battle - feel like i have been fighting flab all my life and now at 40 i think fuck it, but the benefits of exercise and how you feel mentally and physically when doing it - regardless of your size is the key i reckon.
Take care mate and be easy on yourself :)

ravenfeeder
23rd March 2007, 04:07
Ooopsie had a comp glitch

ravenfeeder
23rd March 2007, 04:08
Ditto to above - posted 3 times.

Edbear
23rd March 2007, 07:59
dont call it a diet it is a change of diet...
when i was a bit younger i had a share in a gym and in that time seen all I wish you all the best.
how bad do you want it ?
Focus.

Wot 'e said, and good on you! You'll have all our support!
I've been trying to lose weight and while I have had some success so far, it's harder than anything I've done before! That includes being addicted to prescription drugs and in a wheelchair!

As with most things, the answer is simple, but not neccessarily easy! Eat less and exercise more is plain and simple. There was a huge study publishes a while ago where most of the diets available were tested over a number of years with a large number of participants. Bottom line was pretty much even for all if they were followed, but the simple answer was in the control group which followed the eat less exercise more with no restrictions on what they ate. Still lost weight at about the same rate as everyone else, difference was it was easier to keep to than the diets which were more restrictive.

Get a check up from the Doc., too, as it will eliminate any medical reason for weight gain and will also encourage you.

Exercise is the best therapy for feeling down, too, especially bushwalking if there are any good ones in your area! Trust me on this!

KATWYN
23rd March 2007, 08:20
it seems i get slimmer, but dont lose the fat. my legs are very powerful, but they stay flabby. same with my arms. i dont know why and dont know how to shift it. my gut and backside are the worst

6 little meals a day (every 3-4 hours). Protein,carb combined at every one (use your hand & fist as a measurer) and flaxseed oil at a couple of them, eliminate alcohol (that will get rid of tummy fat - especially on a women, cos thats straight where it goes), only have a Protein and vege meal at night - don't eat after 7- 7.30pm. and drink 1.5 -2 litres of water per day

For your carbs, chose low GI carbs -Kumara, oats, brown rice etc.
Protein - Chicken, fish, cottage cheese
Lotsa leavy vegetables, some fruit

Thats an idea of the nutritional eating plan bit.

Training well....to be brief. (and assuming you are healthy....have no medical problems etc) Do your cardio (on that trainer thingy) for at least
half an hour one day then the next day do about half an hour to 3/4 of an hour lifting weights then the day after that cardio again do this 6 days a week....concentrate on the form of the exercise not the size of the weight.
Slurp down whey protein drink 15 minutes - 1/2 and hour after you do weights

I know it may seem like a drag - but it WILL give you the results you want, ya just gotta put the work in. There is no quick fix - diets DO NOT work.

Within 3 months you will get smaller - but you will also lose that "skinny" fat
you were talking about (on your arms etc)

Those are the principles anyway

Hitcher
23rd March 2007, 08:35
Amputation is pretty effective.

_Gina_
23rd March 2007, 09:30
Amputation is pretty effective.
There's always one..........aye

Lissa
23rd March 2007, 09:46
Well from experience Diets dont work.

I put on 25 kgs with my first child... I was FAT!!! Everything I did to try and get rid of it never worked. Was constantly on the scales, trying not to eat etc etc. Until I read a book, about a lady who went through the same thing. My metabolism had gone done, so eating less never helped.

All I can suggest is the following which worked for me:
1. Dont use scales.
2. Excercise.. even if its just walking
3. Dont eat carbohyrates after 5pm each night. (just like Kathwyn said)
4. Eat more healthy but don't go crazy, you can always treat yourself.

I lost all of the 25kgs... and put on hardly any with my third child. It wont happen overnight but it will happen. :)

Pwalo
23rd March 2007, 10:01
Just another thing. It might pay to see if you are diabetic if you are reasonably over weight. You may need to change what and when you eat if so.

And don't listen to what works for men. We lose weight a lot easier than women (aint life fair).

jrandom
23rd March 2007, 10:05
Exercise is mostly pretty fucking boring, but if you try and change your body composition by just starving yourself without any hard physical training, you'll end up as a pathetic, wheezy little weed.

Personally, I get over the exercise-boredom by focusing on the competitive aspects. If you know there's a big race coming up, you'll be wearing someone's sponsor jersey, people will be checking your time afterwards and not lending you a $2,000 wheelset again if you're too slow... it's amazing how that keeps you away from the chocolate cake and gets you out on the road on cold winter mornings.

Lifting's good, too. There's a fairly decent competitive powerlifting scene in NZ, and you're always remembering that if you blow out of your weight class, you won't have a snowball's chance in hell of placing at any meets.

For that matter, sex is a hell of a lot better when you're not fat...

Basically, if you're a natural fat-arse, you got to have a good reason to change your physical condition, and vanity on its own doesn't cut the mustard.

Dropping fat isn't 'difficult', it's a simple matter of calories in and calories out. Unfortunately you have to contend with hunger, boredom and tiredness to get the right values into the equation's variables.

Some basic diet tips that work for me are getting my carbs from high-fiber food (rolled oats, brown rice), not eating carbs late at night, and using a lot of caffeine. Drink whisky instead of beer, and remember that smoking a cigar without inhaling doesn't fuck your cardiovascular system up but is still an excellent substitute for dessert.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
23rd March 2007, 10:16
I am on Herbal Life - shakes for breakfast and lunch - I love them - just like smoothies and they give me so much energy - for my main meal at night I eat anything I like - in moderation. My food tastes better and as time goes by my eating does get healthier. I am not a great fan of fruit - will eat bananas, but I will put tinned peaches, or fruit salad into my shakes.

I never weigh myself, just go by my clothes. I measured myself at the beginning and will do so maybe in a month's time. But I find if I weighed myself or took my measurements too often I would either get discouraged or euphoric and think mmm maybe I could have a day off. I know me too well. This time it is coming off slowly but on a daily basis I praise myself that at least I am taking action. I am introducing more walking into my regime.

I do try and be organised with planning my food, ensure I have the ingredients or have it pre-prepared. Then I don't have to think so less chance of not eating right.

I found a skirt I had made and wore 8 years ago - I couldn't believe it was so small (or so short!!) and yet I thought I was fat when I wore it. I called it my dancing skirt! Actually most of my skirts were what I termed "regulation length" that I was taught at an all girls private catholic school - that being the hem to be at the end of your fingertips - what I didn't realise for a very long time I might add, was that was for netball skirts only!! While I wasn't aware of being stared at - I got told about it.

I do not intend to go back to my "thin" state but to get into a healthy range for my build and just feel more comfortable.

At least my leathers fit me again (the smaller ones) which are the more protective ones. I am not making this "lose weight" thing the be all and end all of my life.

Keep at it one day at a time.

Jimmy B
23rd March 2007, 10:31
Sorry havent time to read the rest of the post.

Stay away from Carbs: spuds, rice, pasta, alcohol, bread etc or at least cut them down. Plenty of veg, fruit, nuts and protein is fine. Keep up the excercise.

Good luck

SDU
23rd March 2007, 13:25
If you're a large build naturally don't be unrealistic, accept who you are & work on being healthy & fit & happy in yourself.
Try to eat well balanced meals. People say weight watchers is useful even if it is just for awhile to get you in the habit eating a balanced diet.
Vary the type of exercise you do. What do you like. Pilates/ yoga will help give you flexibility & tone. Do you like dancing, go party (without the booze & junk food) try belly dancing, try push biking, hiking ( build up to the hills) try trail/dirt riding, skating... You don't have to go to a gym all of the time & have fun with it. Whatever you do be realistic & start gentle to give your body a chance to safely work the muscles.
My brother has lost lots of weight since xmas as he developed diabetes. He is eating a well balanced healthy diet (- not a diet as such -they have failed him in the past) & just does more exercise such as cycling , walking & just a job change where he is moving more have all contributed.
Gosh I now feel hypocritical as I am a lazy cook & don't exercise as often as I should. But then like you I finish work at 7pm & by the time I cook tea & eat it it is after 8pm. Makes it hard for the metabolism to work effectively. Remember every little thing you do helps.

sunhuntin
23rd March 2007, 18:32
woah..heaps of replies!!

ive just got home from work [was meant to be my day off!!] started at 11, and was meant to stay till 6, but i was exhausted, so left 15 mins early. luckily i got some nashis and a tub of diced fruit before i started. ive just had a bowl of rice with some bread, and im starving. is crap food night tonight at home, and again tomorrow.
im pissed off with my coworker making me stay on longer cos his wife went to a funeral, and somehow he couldnt come to work. when a coworker died, the minute the funeral finished i was back at work. pisses me off royally. why the fuck should he get time off??

got a box of complan [crap thats expensive] so might mix one up to have as part of tea.

did 10 mins on the strider...actually running! :gob: legs are a little sore, but not major.

Ixion
23rd March 2007, 19:08
Sorry havent time to read the rest of the post.

Stay away from Carbs:

I'm in two minds on that question. On the one hand, FI does not need the constant adjustment and fettling that carbs do. On the other hand when FI *does* go wrong, you are in big trouble and expense.

On the whole I think a *single* carb is better than FI. But FI is better than a 4 carb setup. Twins, it's much of a muchness.

(Eh? what? well, it *is* a motorbike site ? :rofl:)

Draco
23rd March 2007, 19:14
if you starve yourself your body goes survival mode and will try to store fat. you may get slim but it is muscle mass that you will lose before fat. you need protein to keep your muscle
the eating habits i seen that work best is eat 6 smaller meals a day.
limit the fat that you eat but not the protein, or carbs.
lift some weights as the more muscle mass you have the higer your metabolisim gets and the more fat you burn.
dont weigh yourself because as you lose fat you'l gain muscle and since its heavier than fat you may wiegh more and get demoralised.
But you will be getting a toned body.
use fat calipersif you want to keep an eye on your progress.
dont make your eating habits a chore, prepare your meals in advance and leave them in a container so when you get home from work on somedays and cant be bothered cooking you've got a meal already, just nuke it.
your mind is your most powerful tool for losing fat.
keep commited and you will do it and once you are happy with your progress you wont fall back into shit eating routines as you'll enjoy eating good nutritious foods.
on one program ive seen and i think it is a pretty good idea is that one day a week you can eat shit food if you want so it can help cravings for something you really want eat like burgers and stuff.
dont be hard on yourself if your progress falls behind where you want to be.
just forget it and carry on back on track.

how bad do you want it ?
Focus.

This is fantastic advice. Combine this with SDU's advice of finding activity you ENJOY and you'll be a winner!

I was a size 16 and miserable, I'm now a size 7-8 and love my body. I discovered bodybuilding, karate and riding motorcycles. I don't bodybuild anymore and can maintain my weight (at well over 30yrs of age and having had babies) just by eating 6-7 SMALL fat free meals a day and moving my body. As well as your exercise, make it your mindset to move. Take the stairs not the lift, park your car at the back of the carpark and walk etc etc. When that becomes your lifestyle youll feel fantastic about yourself.

Get yourself a full health checkup with your doc to rule out thyroid problems or diabetes etc. I'd recommend an assessment for depression. I'd also recommend some time in the sun each day to help lift your mood.

Most of all LOVE YOURSELF.
Good luck and feel free to PM me for any pep talks or advice

sunhuntin
23rd March 2007, 20:01
This is fantastic advice. Combine this with SDU's advice of finding activity you ENJOY and you'll be a winner!

I was a size 16 and miserable, I'm now a size 7-8 and love my body. I discovered bodybuilding, karate and riding motorcycles. I don't bodybuild anymore and can maintain my weight (at well over 30yrs of age and having had babies) just by eating 6-7 SMALL fat free meals a day and moving my body. As well as your exercise, make it your mindset to move. Take the stairs not the lift, park your car at the back of the carpark and walk etc etc. When that becomes your lifestyle youll feel fantastic about yourself.

Get yourself a full health checkup with your doc to rule out thyroid problems or diabetes etc. I'd recommend an assessment for depression. I'd also recommend some time in the sun each day to help lift your mood.

Most of all LOVE YOURSELF.
Good luck and feel free to PM me for any pep talks or advice

im certain i dont have diabetes etc. ive been big all my life. [when i decided since mum was fat, all fat people must be lovely.]

size 7 :shit: :shit: crap...i thought a 12 was neat. lol.

i love the weights....leg press and squat machine were my favourites, followed by the butterfly arm one. had rippin arms for ages...just sitting natually, and they be all curvey. lol.

yep...motorbike parks tend to be miles from where i want to be, so i park at the same one when im in town, and walk to wherever im going. fridays i usually go into mums work and walk all over town from there. spend a fair bit of time outside, due to work, but not necessarily in the sun.

one of my senior staff does weight watchers...hasnt changed her weight a drop. [and shes twice my size] lovely lady though, and a great worker. :sunny:

chanceyy
23rd March 2007, 21:09
Hi sun

I understand your frustration .. I am not lil .. although I am fortunate to have height on my side as well

i have always been big but active with it .. I ride two horses & take care of them daily .. a hours solid exercise every day, was going to the gym 5-6 days a week for a yr & did not lose alot of weight .. just toned up somewhat.

for the last 5 months i have seriously modified my diet- to no avail .. went do the doc & he was floored with what i was eating & amount of activity i do that i am not losing more

currently my days are made up of up eat apple on way to my horses full hour mucking out & feeding brushing etc .. home shower fruit for breakie (seeing if i have an intolerance for wheat/gluten at present) of to work .. fruit smoothie & water all morning
off to gym at lunchtime 20 mins on the walker & stretching on the machines
lunch is yogurt nuts fruit

afternoon i try to drink about a litre of water

after work well its either hairdressing or trimming horses feet dinner is salad & protein or carb (like potato)

I am trying to get into shape for me .. no one else .. but I get incredibly frustrated when the results are not forthcoming but will i stop no

btw went to a dietician ... never again blardy skinny upstart, she pissed me off royally with her manner & pretentious attitude

Silverfern
23rd March 2007, 23:34
Hey sunhunter, my 5 cents worth: No 1. you have to get to the point in your head you really want to lose those extra kilo's, no use trying unless you are ready mentally. I'm a weightwatchers life member, but trying to maintain a weight within their range was too hard so I am now about 5 kilos over but OMG I think I look so sexy on my bike when I look sidewards in the window reflections as I ride by!!! Now hands up who hasn't sneaked a peek at themselves? You have control over your eating, no-one else, but it is so hard to remember that when you are stressed, unhappy or plain mad at someone. Stick with it, we'll help you through, PM me if you like.

sunhuntin
24th March 2007, 21:38
thanks for all the support. :rockon: didnt expect this! LOL.

my diet officially starts on monday...but im a couple of days ahead. lol. had subway for tea as opposed to pizza.
pushed the tension [?] up a bit on the strider and just went all out [btw...what makes the front pole with the lcd stop squeaking? it wont shut up!] sitting here now cooling with a bottle of mizone.

chanceyy...thats unusual that your not losing much with that diet! *puzzles*

silver...i admit to sneaking a look in the window...but at the bike, not me!! LOL. i remember my partner and i going past some tinted windows after id polished the shovel, just to see how good she looked. lmfao.

i have replied to those who pm'd....funny, i only just noticed. normally a box will appear as they arrive.

have attached a pic of 2 pairs of jeans: the ones in the front i knicked off my partner, and i had to wear a belt with them. the ones at the back are what im wearing now. my aim is for the back pair to no longer stay up alone, and to fit into the front pair again.

got my coworker loaning me a set of scales...gonna weigh myself tomorrow, and again in 2 weeks. the results will be posted on here. hes also writing the afore mentioned diet. prunes, prunes and more prunes by the sounds of things. so if i dont post, im glued to the toilet and need help. lol. :shutup:

thanks again everyone!!! :sunny:

Colapop
24th March 2007, 21:58
Forget the scales! Weight is BS. Base your fitness programme on fitness targets not weight. If you want to lose bodyfat then get it measured and change your bodyfat percentage. Losing wieght too quickly can cost you muscle that helps to burn fat.

chanceyy
24th March 2007, 22:01
chanceyy...thats unusual that your not losing much with that diet! *puzzles*

yeah its real strange .. no one has any answers ..

but my motto is if ppl only see the weight & not the personality behind it then sorry they are not ppl i can be bothered with ..

I am wot I am .. & been working hard to try to get fit .. for me no one else .. & shrugs I am a lot fitter than some skinny ppl ..

accept me or not ... no skin off my nose .. fortunately thoses who can be bothered to look past skin deep find something special :yes:

sunhuntin
24th March 2007, 22:14
Forget the scales! Weight is BS. Base your fitness programme on fitness targets not weight. If you want to lose bodyfat then get it measured and change your bodyfat percentage. Losing wieght too quickly can cost you muscle that helps to burn fat.

itll take ages for me to loose any. i know muscle weighs more than fat. need to get a pincher thingy.... will look on monday i think. i think i may take up your offer on the cd book, col. :rockon:

chanceyy...i agree. its the inside that counts, not the outside [to a certain degree at least].

KATWYN
25th March 2007, 09:55
yeah its real strange .. no one has any answers ..

Thats right no one has the answer for a long term weight loss quick fix - I doubt there will ever be an answer for that

But there is an answer to long term weight loss - it just takes a lot of darn hard work to get there and maintain it (although chancey it sounds like you are really active??!) . The answers are still in this thread...

_Gina_
25th March 2007, 10:12

Most of all LOVE YOURSELF
I'm with Draco on this.

I have lost and loosely maintained substatial weight loss, at my peak I was 120kgs (I am 173cms) and while I didn't have thyroid or diabetes issues I was clinically depressed and didn't love myself at all.

I still have 15 odd kgs to go to be a healthy weight and I start this next phase on Wednesday morning using a system that works if you follow it and don't deviate: Jenny Craig.
It teaches portion size and uses the cal in vs cal used priciple and allows for eating normal foods. It gives you six small (ish) meals to eat each day.
It's also great for people like me who are busy and lazy in terms of organising food to eat each day.

I will commit to 30 minutes movement each day for the first two weeks (movement being something that I am not already doing) and then I start back at boxing training twice a week.

As Fish said earlier, you need to have a reason to make this sucessful, I do, it's being ready to race F3, I need to be healthy and fit to be able to be the best I can and I want it more than anything else.

The last piece of advise I will impart is:

DON'T OVER COMPLICATE IT AND LOVE YOURSELF!

:sunny:

elle-f
26th March 2007, 05:38
I lost 12 kilos in about 3 months last year because i noted the saturated fat content and sugar content in everything i ate. i had to because of medical reasons. I also went walking daily pushing the limit up a bit. I weighed myself every two weeks and didnt stop myself from eating everything. initially when i wanted chocolate i would have a little piece THEN i got smart and when anybody around me was eating it i would say to them.......can you have a piece for me please and it seemed to stop my craving! odd i know!

i didnt obsess because that would have made me want everything! I still have more to go and thank you because you have made me restart today.

I cut out sugar in coffee - i was having 3 per cup which is quite a few a day and i now either have none or use equal - makes a difference. I also bought one of those plates that have the hands etc on them from woolworths. Um thats about it but my eating healthier went down the plughole during the holidays and i really havent got back into it ALTHOUGH instead of a bag of chips and biscuit for morning tea i take fruit and in the afternoon when i am at my lowest in sugar i have an apple or something OH......and i drink a load of water as well.

good luck and make sure you have a support person
Elle :)

Edbear
26th March 2007, 07:25
Forget the scales! .

I agree! Just when I'd got myself down under the 90kg mark, I noted to the Missus that the old scales we had were a bit inconsistent and the weight varied depending how one stood on them. Well, she went and bought a new set, didn't she? Very helpful, 'cept scales do vary and the new ones weigh 5kg heavier than the old ones!!!!!:gob:

Now I gotta start all over again! :third:

Anyways, friends are telling me I'm looking better, slimmer and healthier lately, so I don't feel so bad! Probably a better indicator than scales and a mirror anyway! Remember a mirror is only as honest as the one looking into it...

It's your true friends that mean more than anything Sunhuntin and they'll wuv you no matter wot! Amazing how a happy disposition works for weight loss...:sunny:

Jimmy B
26th March 2007, 08:33
I'm in two minds on that question. On the one hand, FI does not need the constant adjustment and fettling that carbs do. On the other hand when FI *does* go wrong, you are in big trouble and expense.

On the whole I think a *single* carb is better than FI. But FI is better than a 4 carb setup. Twins, it's much of a muchness.

(Eh? what? well, it *is* a motorbike site ? :rofl:)

Your spot on Ixion, the rest of my post was around the production of Ethanol and how that would relate to Carbs, ie not too well and best with FI as you suggested :sunny:

Hitcher
26th March 2007, 09:20
You're spot on Ixion

Time for the BDOTGNZA's Monday "Gahhh!"

I'm becoming old and increasingly grammatically intolerant. Could everybody please lift their game?

Joni
26th March 2007, 09:29
I'm becoming old and increasingly grammatically intolerant. Could everybody please lift their game?Another sign of old age Hitch, when you think you are right and the rest of the world is incorrect... maybe "everyone" need not adjust their actions at all... but rather the old man complaining?? :spudwhat: :bleh:

Jimmy B
26th March 2007, 09:43
Time for the BDOTGNZA's Monday "Gahhh!"

I'm becoming old and increasingly grammatically intolerant. Could everybody please lift their game?

Thanks Hitcher, quite right. Another sign could be the persistant use of acronyms, especially long ones that are unclear.

sunhuntin
26th March 2007, 20:19
gah. well, day one today. crappy tasting complan for breaky [think too much milk] fruit for lunch. ended up with a headache by the time i came home... was sooo hungry. just finished a bowl of rice and noodles. still not full but close enough. same again tomorrow. not sure if im gonna be able to do this....

Trudes
26th March 2007, 20:24
Hi doll, I'm no expert, but make sure what you're eating tastes good!! Learn to use herbs and spices to liven bland tasting stuff up a bit, cause otherwise you'll be so bored and sick of what you're eating and start craving bad things, like chocolate or mince pies. Variety is the spice of life too (so I've been told), so try some new things, and everything in moderation. Good luck.

_Gina_
26th March 2007, 20:25
gah. well, day one today. crappy tasting complan for breaky [think too much milk] fruit for lunch. ended up with a headache by the time i came home... was sooo hungry. just finished a bowl of rice and noodles. still not full but close enough. same again tomorrow. not sure if im gonna be able to do this....
If you can sort the money out, try Jenny Craig, it works and the food is nicer than Complan....

My meals tomorrow:

Toast, marg and marmite
Chocolate chip cookies
Baked Potato and Brocolli with cheese sauce
Salad with dressing
Fruit
Yoghurt
Salmon and potato mash with steamed or stir fried veg
Fruit

Can have 3 coffees
As much diet soda as I want
oh and don't forget the all important 2 litres of water
and a 30 minute walk

Highly recommended!

The Pastor
26th March 2007, 20:34
Stop bitching and get walking.

sunhuntin
26th March 2007, 20:47
If you can sort the money out, try Jenny Craig, it works and the food is nicer than Complan....

My meals tomorrow:

Toast, marg and marmite
Chocolate chip cookies
Baked Potato and Brocolli with cheese sauce
Salad with dressing
Fruit
Yoghurt
Salmon and potato mash with steamed or stir fried veg
Fruit

Can have 3 coffees
As much diet soda as I want
oh and don't forget the all important 2 litres of water
and a 30 minute walk

Highly recommended!

sounds like a good menu :yes: everything is being done on a budget, so currently jenny craig etc are not an option.

elle-f
26th March 2007, 21:46
porridge is low GI which means that it will last til about morning tea and you will feel full. look up in the net what LOW GI is and you will learn what foods will stay in your puku and keep you not starving. i learned that and it was the key to me not wanting to eat everything in sight.

chin up - you will be fine!

Street Gerbil
26th March 2007, 23:31
Look up "South Beach diet" and follow it. It works miracles when combined with 4 hours of workout per day 7 days a week for the rest of your life. Worked for me. :Punk:

Jimmy B
27th March 2007, 08:35

Maaate, big bowl of carbohydrate for dinner = glucose = stored energy if not burnt off through exercise. Still hungry? eat veg fruit and nuts, in fact as much and as often as you want, remember small gains over the long term.

That doctor who appears on Opra W show said on Cambell live the other week, the people who acheive long term weight loss typically cut only 100-200 calories per day from their daily diet ie not much but its the long term that counts.

SDU
27th March 2007, 11:16

Doesn't sound very yummy. I ditto what Mrs Kendog said & Elle & Jimmy too. & GG's diet sounds yummy. You are only starting out it will get easier in time & it takes time for the metabolism to kick in. Be strong. Moderation is the key to eating a lot of foods, even the scrummy naughty ones.

Jimmy B
27th March 2007, 12:23
Of course, being a bloke, I like my Beers and Pies (and in vast quantities) but
if you like eggplant I make this one quite often - Sshh I sort of nicked it out of a diet book years ago:

Cut EP lengthwise and score/scoop out most of the flesh and reserve to one side, keep the EP shells

In a lightly oiled pan (as a suggestion) fry some:

Diced/Cubed chicken – handful
Bit of diced onion
Garlic
Sliced capsicum
Roughly diced eggplant flesh
Salt,pepper,herbs if you wish etc

Once browned off

If you wish, mix in sliced tomato but roughly de-seed it so the mix doesn’t go all watery

Get Eggplant shells and stuff half the mixture back into each, live a bit dangerously and maybe mix a bit of cheese in as well say half a handful grated or some feta or whatever you want really.

Put into oven and bake at say 180ish 200ish for 15 minutes or till the eggplant looks cooked through.

The key is it doesnt really matter what you put in but keep the quantities like a handful of protein per person, as much veg as you like, flavour and its really filling. No Carbs.

Hope you try it and like it.

mstriumph
27th March 2007, 12:52

why on earth eat something that tastes crappy? and why torture yourself with hunger?
you're whole plan should be being based on a change in eating that you can live with the rest of your life - NOT something that you dislike so much that you start feeling deprived and resentful and punished ......... something you'll ditch the minute you reach your 'goal' weight [so you'll climb right back on that weight seesaw again]

i don't know much about this, but i do know that it's best to work with mother nature than against her ......... and she's given us tastebuds, smell and the ability to enjoy textures for a reason

change your thinking and you'll change your life

so, slow down ..... think about it as making love to your digestive system
forget about meals as something to get thru as fast as possible
research what foods you enjoy and can eat that'll do you least harm [lotta good tips in this thread about what to avoid ........ salt'd be my favourite- teach yourself to love herb flavourings and your need for salt will diminish - go easy though, you still need some ]
arrange them attractively, savouring the sight and smell as you prepare them
give yourself an uninterrupted 20 mins to eat - DON'T read a book or watch tv while you are eating, concentrate on the food
drink water with the meal
eat slowly, roll each bite sensually around your mouth with your tongue
there is no hurry
there are no distractions
chew until the mouthful is practically liquid in your mouth - do NOT bolt your food
give yourself permission to enjoy every mouthful - food is not your enemy

in this way you will be giving yourself a stressfree break
giving your body what it needs
giving your system time to know it's full [sometimes we eat on the run so fast that we are full long before our brain registers the fact]
avoiding feeling deprived or punished
and, mebbe, both losing weight and laying down a pattern of eating that you can adopt as 'normal' for the rest of your life :sunny:

good luck!

Joni
27th March 2007, 12:57
why on earth eat something that tastes crappy? and why torture yourself with hunger?I agree with MST completely... in fact her whole post makes sence... but the part I quoted would be a recipe for failure...

mstriumph
27th March 2007, 13:00
but not in context :sunny:

_Gina_
27th March 2007, 13:01
And if you don't like eggplant too much, but like the idea, use butternut pumpkin....you would need to scrape it back to about 1/2 an inch thick, then use cougettes in place of the eggplant in the mix. :yes:

Joni
27th March 2007, 13:04
but not in context :sunny:Exactly..

Eat good healthy food you enjoy... dont starve yourself... even a super human effort will have trouble maintaining that long term. Dont set yourself up to fail...

Disco Dan
27th March 2007, 13:12
Woah eggplant? Cougettes? *goes straight over my head*

I eat too many pies. I eat ice cream instead of making a sandwich, because im lazy.

When I do make the effort, I feel twice as good as when I just had a pie.

We've met sunhuntin, I dont think you should be too worried about your weight. However if you feel you need to, I would say, that ensuring you eat proper meals and healthy foods that your body would do most of the work.... just my 2c :sunny:

Gimme a yell next time your in aucks, my pillion seats free :yes: :scooter:

Sorry for the interuption ladies... carry on ;)

_Gina_
27th March 2007, 13:15
Just a thought on the exercise thing....

Go for a decent walk, make sure that you have a timeline to be back in and no ability to cut corners.

Example:

I just went for my first 'walk' in aaaaaaaaaages.....

So I went off at lunchtime to crank around the panmure basin, only had an hour for lunch and knew that the whole walk would take 50 minutes at a good pace without stopping.

Got half way and started to think - this sucks, I can't do this everyday for the next 12 weeks!... OWW, my farken right shoe is rubbing on my small toe, jesus if this carries on I will not be able to continue walking......how the hell did I do this last time?????

Then it sunk in that I would have to carry on as what the fark else was I going to do? There is no other way I can go! And I would need to change my walking style so that my toe didn't rub.....and if I put a little more effort into it, it would be over soon...

If I had had a left or right choice available, I would have taken the easier one.

sunhuntin
27th March 2007, 13:23
*prints jimmys recipie*

yeh...yesterday was not a good day. wont be doing that again in a hurry. ate quite a bit of fruit [pear, grapes, pineapple and two nashies] but that did nothing.

today is better though. [so far] my coworkers meal plan...dont think ill follow that, as that is what i did yesterday.

thanks disco....your a real sweety. ill take you up on that next time im up... just watch the diesel ;)

Trudes
27th March 2007, 13:27
Someone once told me you should watch how much fruit you eat too due to the sugar content in it. Have you had a look at 'the CSIRO total wellbeing diet'? It has some very sensible ideas about moderation and balance in food.

Jimmy B
27th March 2007, 14:08
Someone once told me you should watch how much fruit you eat too due to the sugar content in it. .

Another undesirable side effect is the uncontrollable urge to climb trees at night and the inability to move while fixating on bright lights

sunhuntin
27th March 2007, 14:30
Someone once told me you should watch how much fruit you eat too due to the sugar content in it. Have you had a look at 'the CSIRO total wellbeing diet'? It has some very sensible ideas about moderation and balance in food.

looking at the site now. and yeh...i was wondering about that myself.

mstriumph
27th March 2007, 15:41
Another undesirable side effect is the uncontrollable urge to climb trees at night and the inability to move while fixating on bright lights

"You are what you eat"

so stay away from fruits and nuts...............? :shutup:

KATWYN
27th March 2007, 18:31
Eat good healthy food you enjoy... dont starve yourself... .

I agree. Interestingly, starving oneself and eating inconsistantly can result in the body getting
extremely efficiant at storing fat! Thats why people can say "I hardly
ever eat" but are still overweight or can't get rid of the fat.

If we don't want to get fat....eat - yay!

Regular small meals "graze" - and be active.

Learn from the animals....look at bodies of grazing & active animals as opposed to animals that have big pig outs then don't eat for ages and sloth around (I think the Body for Life author - Bill Phillips said that)

Drinking 1.5 - 2 litres of water per day is also key

elle-f
28th March 2007, 05:12
I think though you have to get it out of your head that you are *dieting* because that is only a recipe for failure. If you think more in the lines of.....you are changing your eating to healthy you will find that its easier. You have also inspired me to get my ass into gear and back on the bandwagon. thanks :)

Trudes
28th March 2007, 07:01
Same, decided the "healthy eating and exercising properly" (diet, or lose some weight tubby) should get back on track again on Monday too. Should we start a Biggest Loser, or something like Weight Watchers where we have a weekly check in thingy? You know, a support thing amoungst KBers trying to lose some flab?:shutup:

_Gina_
28th March 2007, 09:12
Should we start a Biggest Loser, or something like Weight Watchers where we have a weekly check in thingy? You know, a support thing amoungst KBers trying to lose some flab?:shutup:
Sounds like fun and I like fun ;)
I'd be willing to post a before and after photo and details.....
Currently 83.6kgs, target weight is > 70kgs and timeframe is 12 - 16 weeks.

Who else is in?

Joni
28th March 2007, 09:15
I start Kung Fu tonight, God help me.... :shit: However that over and above the gym I do, should hopefully be enough activity to get me to my goals!

Bring it on! :sunny:

Hitcher
28th March 2007, 09:25
I start Kung Fu tonight

Learn well, Grasshopper.

Jimmy B
28th March 2007, 09:31
I start Kung Fu tonight, God help me.... :shit: However that over and above the gym I do, should hopefully be enough activity to get me to my goals!

Bring it on! :sunny:

Good on you Joni, excellent sport. Just remember that the temptation to overstretch is huge especially when a 12 year old has just sent a sidekick over the top of your head. Its one sport that rquires flexibility in spades, that takes time, so ease into it for a few months and practise stretching daily or you'll do yourself a mischef, Speed and power will take care of themselves down the track. :yes:

Joni
28th March 2007, 09:38
Yeah Jimmy, that is what makes me nervous, me dragging my mid-thirties body into a room filled with young kiddies who are kicking butt! I suppose I should not over think it, just go tonight and try my best - I will let the instructor know I am an acute asthmatic, and just pace myself from there!

But hell yeah, Im pretty nervous!

Trudes
28th March 2007, 09:48
Well I'm in girlygirl, but I ain't posting any photos (the people that have seen me know where the flab is already) and my weight is my business and Col's when he picks me up! I do admire you for being so open though!:Punk:
BUT I would be willing to post progress, i.e, I have lost 2 kilos this week, fallen off the wagon once and had two beers and half a slab of chocolate and lost 5 cms around my chest, or something like that! (Can you tell the self-consious person!)

Jimmy B
28th March 2007, 09:54
Yeah Jimmy, that is what makes me nervous, me dragging my mid-thirties body into a room filled with young kiddies who are kicking butt! I suppose I should not over think it, just go tonight and try my best - I will let the instructor know I am an acute asthmatic, and just pace myself from there!

But hell yeah, Im pretty nervous!

Haha those guys will be awesome, everyone starts somewhere and they will want you to come back. They cannot get enough decent folks, its the tryhard thugs that get shifted along smartly.

Luckily its not an intensley areobic sport, say compared with squash, I dont think asthma will be a major, dont get me wrong, you will find your limits quickly enough and therein lies the benefit.

The bloke that trained me was comfortably in his 60's and I believe he is still going. That would make him close to 80 in the shade. Besides chicks are better at the flexi stuff, you'll love it :sunny:

What sort of Kung Fu are you doing?

Joni
28th March 2007, 10:02
I dont know Jimmy - Here is the link to the website:
http://www.chansmartialarts.com/kungfu/index.html

Paul in NZ
28th March 2007, 10:32
I will let the instructor know I am an acute asthmatic, !

Yeah - you are the cutest asthmatic I know... :innocent:

This is a positive thread - good to see. I'll happily admit I've finally been going back to exercise and wondering why I took so long. I'll admit I'm struggling with blood sugars etc and it will take a lot longer than for most but I'll chip away at the flab and it's made a difference already. The kayak seemed way lighter the last holiday.

Jimmy B
28th March 2007, 10:49
Nice one Joni, “Shao Chi Chuan” looks like a good form to learn and the values seem closely aligned to the most effective styles i.e. Family, Loyalty, Discipline, Relaxation, Examination of weakness and personal strength. Looks like you’ll also get a fair helping of Chinese philosophy, which is not necessarily a bad thing either.

I studied Kyokushinkai for about 5 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin and although it seems a more confrontational or pragmatic style than Shao Chi Chuan it too shares many of the common elements, albeit Japanese.

I now regret giving it away when I shifted back to Hawkes Bay but in many ways I had achieved more than I initially set out to do.

I hope you have the same experience and I guarantee that you will be a much more resilient and stronger person in 12 months. :yes:

Joni
28th March 2007, 10:51
Thank you for your kind words and support Jimmy - appreciated more than you know! :yes:

I will pm you tomorrow and let you know how it went!

Now enough about me... where is Sunhuntin and what is she having for lunch? :sunny:

Colapop
28th March 2007, 12:22
Be careful about what advice you choose to follow, in terms of diet especially. There are so many 'diets' out there that claim to be better for you than any other diet it's not a wonder that people (women especially) have trouble trying to "lose weight". I highlighted those two words because they are the biggest misnomer ever put to people trying to become fitter. IT'S NOT ABOUT WEIGHT - IT IS ABOUT YOUR BODYFAT CONTENT! I am heavier now with a lower bodyfat content than I was when I had a bodyfat content of 30%. Muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is a very efficient fat burning tissue. that does not mean that you have to become hugely muscled - it means that you should focus on have muscles that work for you.

sunhuntin
28th March 2007, 12:25
Thank you for your kind words and support Jimmy - appreciated more than you know! :yes:

I will pm you tomorrow and let you know how it went!

Now enough about me... where is Sunhuntin and what is she having for lunch? :sunny:

im here...having last nights marcaroni and a can of coke for lunch. lol. have had an awesome offer from an auckland member to be my personal trainer [for free, no less!!] and im hoping to meet him this weekend. [weather permitting]
joni...kung fu sounds fun....try not to get so sore you cant ride. heheh.

mrskendog...that sounds like an awesome idea!! i wont be posting photos, or likely weights [no scales here] but am going to hunt out a fat calliper and use that. :yes:

elle-f
28th March 2007, 15:33
OMG if i was 83 kilos i would be shouting it out to the world :laugh:

Roj
30th March 2007, 11:50
Looks like there is more advice you can poke a stick at,

good luck on this challenge,

my advice is do this for yourself, not for anyone else

_Gina_
30th March 2007, 13:37
OMG if i was 83 kilos i would be shouting it out to the world :laugh:
Would be, or wouldn't be?
*not sure if I should be embarrassed or not.....*

sunhuntin
30th March 2007, 19:29
wooohoooo!! starting offcially tomorrow. riding [hopefully, weather dependant] to national park to meet my trainer. gotta try and remember what ive eaten the last few days....*thinks*

monday: complan. fruit, fruit, fruit. rice and noodles. [and a headache from being hungry!]
tuesday: hubbards slingshots. rice. mac n cheese
wednesday: same as above, mac n cheese for lunch. vege pies and veges
thursday: same breaky. mac n cheese for lunch. vege pies and veges.
friday: same breaky, mac n cheese for lunch, 12inch vege subway.

mix of fruit drinks, water and coke thrown in, along with some naughty stuff [box of scorched almonds that lasted tuesday to yesterday.] also walked up and down town today from 1pm till 4.

sunhuntin
20th April 2007, 21:51
UPDATE!

well... just took my second lot of measurements and photos. measurements are being loaded into a spreadsheets. for some reason it wont attach, so ill try a copy and paste.

6 April
20 April

neck
chest
waist
hips
left thigh
right thigh
left calf
right calf
left ankle
right ankle
left bicep flex
left bicep
right bicep flex
right bicep
left forearm
right forearm
left wrist
right wrist

pleasingly, theres quite a bit of difference between some measurements. ive got some lovely "dents" on the outside of each thigh which looks funny as hell.

Colapop
20th April 2007, 21:55
Awesome!! Remember it's early days. Good to see some results early on. Keep the food levels right and keep at it.

Well done!

Trudes
21st April 2007, 08:19
That's great Sunhuntin!!!! Can I ask though, what are you doing to increase your neck size like that?

Colapop
21st April 2007, 09:34
Deadlifts and shrugs.

elle-f
21st April 2007, 10:47
Deadlifts and shrugs.

:laugh:

well done sun!

sunhuntin
21st April 2007, 10:51
That's great Sunhuntin!!!! Can I ask though, what are you doing to increase your neck size like that?

honestly, mrs kd, i wouldnt have a clue!! my exercises are:

crunches, squats [no weight bar] shoulder press [no weights], bent over row [5kg long bar], calf raises and press ups.
none of that should have had any impact on my neck [well, not that i can think of!!]

kinda scary really... i made mum remeasure my neck in about 3 different spots, and it only differed by a cm in one spot.

ive been taking in a lot of protein [sometimes up to 2 shakes a day, and fish nearly every night] so that may have something to do with it?

elle-f
21st April 2007, 11:01
Would be, or wouldn't be?
*not sure if I should be embarrassed or not.....*

i would be shouting it! i think i was born.......about 90 kilos :laugh:

_Gina_
21st April 2007, 18:12
i would be shouting it! i think i was born.......about 90 kilos :laugh:
Thanks babe !

My weight last Monday was 78.8kgs, which made me happy :yes:

So not too bad for three weeks and starting at 83.6kgs....

Still got to keep going though.

dman
28th April 2007, 00:46
Seriously for a change. WALKING, join a club, no stress on joints support from the other tubbies. That is until you metamophosis into your dreamweight. It's true join those that are doin it.If you can't run, walking is an excellent idea. Is free, you get constantly changing scenery to enjoy, you can talk while doing it, you can do it anywhere and any time, etc...

Though of course, if you can... running is far far better idea. No, I'm not at all biased because I'm a former fanatical runner! :Punk:

You run for an hour a day (really not that much if you are a runner...), then you can eat whatever the hell you feel like eating.

I don't have a weight problem, but because I said that don't write me off. Us skinny people all think its about how much you eat. I believe it's about what you burn and maybe type of food you eat.True, exercise is more important than what you eat. Exercising doesn't just burn off energy, it also lifts your metabolism so that you are burning more energy off even when you are not exercising. Plus it is way more
fun to exercise than having to constantly watch what you are eating! :zzzz:

Edit:
After reading through the thread some more: the advise given earlier about getting competitive is excellent. For most people vanity isn't enough of a reason to loose weight, having other goals/reasons to get out there exercising will help a lot.

Ignore scales could also help you personally. Because while you will loose fat, you will also gain muscle. Which is very much a good thing, but you can't tell this just from the scales. Do what another suggested, and take photos of yourself without your clothes on. You will see the difference as the weeks go past, regardless of what nonsense the scales tell you.

dman
28th April 2007, 01:07
Just a thought on the exercise thing....

Go for a decent walk, make sure that you have a timeline to be back in and no ability to cut corners.You are on the money, don't set up opportunities to cutting corners. The first few weeks would be the hardest, but it just gets easier as time goes on. Habit forming can be very powerful if you make it work for you instead of against. :rockon:

sunhuntin
28th April 2007, 09:24
well... as can be seen by the measurements posted above, there has been some decent changes across the body. ive been taking photos, but cant see any difference in them [yet!]

my trainers coming down today [boy, hes gonna get wet!!] ill flick him a txt at about 11 to let him know where ill meet him.

right now... im loving it! the first month has been great, and ive already had a comment from a customer at work. im having trouble with crunches, but will sort that this weekend. food has been getting boring, but im getting inventive [such as vegemite with a couple of walnut halves] walkings been good, but mum is waaay to slow. very tempting to leave her behind, but thatd just be mean.

u4ea
28th April 2007, 09:37
theres plenty of terrific places to walk in Wanganui..have you done the steps on Durie Hill ????that"ll get ya sorted in no time!(probly wanna ditch mum for that tho:shutup: )I used to walk up Hiltons Pit (mountain bike track Aramoho) and round the bridges was entertaining as well:yes: ..the council has put in more tracks up the river so you can walk right out to the beach neally..I really miss that place and living here is very limiting to find a good track:angry: ..I have to drive a few ks to get to the hills from here........makes for bloody good riding too......(dam uve got some of the best back roads up there........feel homesick now):sick: Glad to see youre getting the desired effects .:rockon:

Colapop
28th April 2007, 09:42
To vary things up instead of crunches you can substitute leg lowers, or bridges...

Grahameeboy
28th April 2007, 09:52
To vary things up instead of crunches you can substitute leg lowers, or bridges...

Swiss balls are great....use them to do things like chest press with dumb bells which uses the stomach to stablish itself and improve core strength.

Also, crunches are so out of date...you need to start with transverse, then obliques and then abs cause if you do other way around the trans and obs with will be tired cause you also bring these in when doing abs.

Leg lowers and bridges are fine but are harder and you need a strong back.

Colapop
28th April 2007, 09:54
They are hard... but that's how you get hard...

Don't go there KYBoy... we all know what you're gonna say...

Grahameeboy
28th April 2007, 09:57
They are hard... but that's how you get hard...

Don't go there KYBoy... we all know what you're gonna say...

Arr...you of the no pain no gain brigade..............it's contra-indicative now mate..keep up with the times.....

Colapop
28th April 2007, 10:07
Not at all. I work very hard, that's true. I also eat well and get as much rest as I can. I'm very clear about the level of work that I do so as not to overtrain. I do what works for me.

For the supposed 'hardcore' weights that I lift (and I am by no means a weight lifter or hardcore) I also do as much flexibility work as I can. I attend yoga and work alot on the swiss ball for core strength flexibility.

sunhuntin
28th April 2007, 10:10

what are these? my back is incredibly strong... i used to be able to carry my partner around the house! [but then he weighed next to nothing...]

yeh, i bumped my crunches up to 1 set of 20 after the first week, and even then it dont burn. i think the poorly done press ups do more for my tummy!

Grahameeboy
28th April 2007, 10:19
what are these? my back is incredibly strong... i used to be able to carry my partner around the house! [but then he weighed next to nothing...]

yeh, i bumped my crunches up to 1 set of 20 after the first week, and even then it dont burn. i think the poorly done press ups do more for my tummy!

Press ups use the stomach to stabilise the exercise so get an isometric contraction which is actually the a good way, better than isotonic, to build up muscle but of course is restricted to the point of contraction..........this is for Colapop's benefit.

Sets of 20 are about the most I would do.....try and keep breaks to 40 secs to allow creatine levels to fill up again..........too many are really ineffective.

Colapop
28th April 2007, 10:25
Leg lowers - lay on your back with your legs out straight. Raise your feet (keeping your legs straight) to about 2 inches off the floor. Then raise them slowly to about 12 inches and hold there for a pause (about 1 long second) lower them to the original position.
Bridges - lay on your stomach on the floor in the press up position with your hands under your shoulders. Place the points of your elbows to where your hands are (were) and clasp your hands in front of you. Raise your body to the prone position (straight like a press up). So you're resting on your toes and elbows. Concentrate on pulling up through your belly button (as though there's a string being pulled through it) do not raise your hips just pull your stomach up. Then hold it for as long as you can... try for 20 - 30 seconds to start with.

Isotonic exercises are as effective as Isometric and should be used as part of a wider training programme to provide a balanced exercise routine - this is for KYBoy's benefit...

sunhuntin
28th April 2007, 10:48
thanks col... the leg raises could be a go. i dont think my toes would support me just yet!

sunhuntin
22nd May 2007, 13:31
6 April 20 April 5 May 19 May

neck 30 37 36 35
chest 111 111 110 107
waist 97 95 94 94
hips 120 112 115 104
left thigh 78 67 68 64
right thigh 76 70 69 65
left calf 50 49 48.5 48
right calf 48 49 49.5 48
left ankle 27 27 27 26.5
right ankle 27 26 26 26
left bicep flex 40 39 39 39
left bicep 39 36 36.5 36
right bicep flex 40 38 38 38
right bicep 38 35.5 36 35
left forearm 27.5 25.5 27 24
right forearm 27.5 25.5 27 25
left wrist 17.5 17 17 17.5
right wrist 17.5 17 18 17.5

AND as of this morning, i can just do up my favourite jeans! tight as anything, but they do up, which is awesome! havent worn those since early 2005.

Trudes
22nd May 2007, 13:37
Good on you!!!! Keep up the good work and before you know it those jeans will be falling off you!

Rashika
24th May 2007, 06:49
on ya chicky! :rockon:

Colapop
24th May 2007, 07:35
6 April 20 April 5 May 19 May
neck 30 37 36 35
chest 111 111 110 107 - BOOOO!!!!
waist 97 95 94 94
hips 120 112 115 104
left thigh 78 67 68 64
right thigh 76 70 69 65
left calf 50 49 48.5 48
right calf 48 49 49.5 48
left ankle 27 27 27 26.5
right ankle 27 26 26 26
left bicep flex 40 39 39 39
left bicep 39 36 36.5 36
right bicep flex 40 38 38 38
right bicep 38 35.5 36 35
left forearm 27.5 25.5 27 24
right forearm 27.5 25.5 27 25
left wrist 17.5 17 17 17.5
right wrist 17.5 17 18 17.5

AND as of this morning, i can just do up my favourite jeans! tight as anything, but they do up, which is awesome! haven't worn those since early 2005.
You're doing really well! I only highlighted those areas because they're the usual women's 'problem' areas... and the other .... coz.... :innocent:

SDU
24th May 2007, 09:15
Awesome! :rockon:

MyGSXF
24th May 2007, 09:23
You GO girl!!! :clap:

Lissa
24th May 2007, 10:32
Well done :) Soon you will have to buy a completely new walrobe of clothes... Fun!

Nasty
24th May 2007, 10:40
going awesome Sunhuntin :) keep up the good work :)

sunhuntin
24th May 2007, 12:19
You're doing really well! I only highlighted those areas because they're the usual women's 'problem' areas... and the other .... coz.... :innocent:

cheeky... lmfao!

thanks everyone... its awesome!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

im wearing a shirt right now that last time i tried it, it took 10 mins to put on and then 20 to get off again. now its tight around the chest and arms, but comfy. gonna get the sleeves removed though... they are too tight, and will only get worse.

soon as i can get in to my best jeans without straining the zip, ill get a photo [clothed!] and put it up.

headin to palmy tomorrow... gonna scope out a sports bra at bendon... sick of the bounce with every step :oi-grr:

Cobbs
24th May 2007, 14:55
Wow Sunhuntin you have done well!!!! I need some of your inspiration!!!! Still can't fit my leathers after having my baby a year ago!!!! Have put on 8kgs and can't seem to shift it... Need to get on my crosstrainer and shift some of my excess but never seem to find the time anymore and then when I do I'm so bloody knackered.... I know it's just a matter of starting my workouts again and getting stuck in... Might have to set myself a goal of next week!!!!!....

sunhuntin
24th May 2007, 21:02
Wow Sunhuntin you have done well!!!! I need some of your inspiration!!!! Still can't fit my leathers after having my baby a year ago!!!! Have put on 8kgs and can't seem to shift it... Need to get on my crosstrainer and shift some of my excess but never seem to find the time anymore and then when I do I'm so bloody knackered.... I know it's just a matter of starting my workouts again and getting stuck in... Might have to set myself a goal of next week!!!!!....

why wait till next week? do it tomorrow! take your baby for walks in the buggy, pointing things out. babies can also be good for building strength, simply by holding them all the time. my left arm was stronger than my right for ages due to holding daycare kids and boxes at work on that side.

gotta admit, i wouldnt have got this far but for my trainer... ive got next to no self motivation, so its good to have a reason to do it every day. i want to make him proud when he comes down so its not a wasted trip.

i wore my best leather jacket today for the first time since early 2005.... yeehaa!

Cobbs
27th May 2007, 10:34
lol need to get my brain around it again Sunhuntin....lol... Oh we go for heaps of walks etc, and it's not easy terrain either as I live on a lifestyle block so it's tough going. But obviously not enough to kick in my metabolism, think it must've slowed since having bubs. Plus before I had her I was a big gym nut so guess the old body is in shock. I'll keep you tuned as to how I'm going. Great you can now fit your favourite leather jacket!!!! Well done, you're an inspiration!!!!!!

Draco
14th June 2007, 21:01
im wearing a shirt right now that last time i tried it, it took 10 mins to put on and then 20 to get off again.

Haven't been on here for ages but just saw this update.
You go girl, keep it up!!!
:rockon: :first: :Punk: :woohoo: :2thumbsup

sunhuntin
29th June 2007, 21:41
well, sorry ladies and gentlemen, but its over. ive given up and given in.

thanks heaps for all the advice and support. :yes:

Trudes
29th June 2007, 22:12
ohhhhhhhhhh, honey, you were doing so well!!!! Don't give up entirely, get back on the wagon next week, start of new week and new month, you can do it!!!:sunny:

Rashika
30th June 2007, 07:43
well, sorry ladies and gentlemen, but its over. ive given up and given in.

thanks heaps for all the advice and support. :yes:

nah chicky... just a down time, jump back on that horse when you are ready.
I get in that negative mind set fairly regularly, just gotta talk yourself right on back out of it again. I hate winter, does it to me every year. But summers coming now, we've past the shortest day and its all good now ;)
Went racing last weekend, had a ball. Weight loss aint everything but unfortunately for some of us it pretty much seems that way. Dont get down when you aint on top of it... accept that you will NOT be perfect all the time, and once that has filtered in, then start fresh again.
You have got to a certain point, even if you backslide you can get back there again and achieve even more... and you will :yes:

Colapop
30th June 2007, 09:33
NOOO!!! Don't give up! You've done so well so far. It doesn't take overnight it'll take a while longer. You're making a commitment to you.