PDA

View Full Version : 120 on a 1.40 rim. Too big?

Spyke
24th March 2007, 09:04
I have bought a bucket racer a little while ago and it came with a 120/90 by 18 tyre on the back and its sitting on a 1.40 rim. Is this to big? to me it looks to big, If so what size should i put on.

Will this width affect my cornering.

also if anyone knows where to get a cheap tyre thats the right size drop in a pm please.

F5 Dave
26th March 2007, 17:09
Hahahaha.

nooo way jose!

ideally a 3.5" for 120

Can cram a 90 onto a 1.6, but isn't ideal.

Must have pictures. Sterling effort!

Spyke
26th March 2007, 18:22
got a few photos.

on the rim it says 18 by 1.40 but is that right, i measured the outside of the rim and it is about 55 mm which is 2.2 inches. but where do they measure the rim from?

i think i should get another tyre for it.

xwhatsit
26th March 2007, 23:19
Whoah! Coolest bucket ever!

That is all.

F5 Dave
27th March 2007, 09:27
Looks like a balloon! Nice.

The 1.4 is measured from the bead, ie where the tyre seats. It is a skinny rim, but so be it. A 3" tyre (~ 80) is about what you should be running.

Spyke
27th March 2007, 17:51
thanks for the info, i did think it looked like a balloon.
ill have to try and find a resonable tyre.

Spyke
27th March 2007, 17:58
Whoah! Coolest bucket ever!

That is all.
thanks
tis a nice bike but the someone put a 185 carb on her and shes runnig a bit rough, we did change the main jet because it was to big, but its still runnig rough

xwhatsit
27th March 2007, 22:26
thanks
tis a nice bike but the someone put a 185 carb on her and shes runnig a bit rough, we did change the main jet because it was to big, but its still runnig rough

What's all the tin for, if you don't mind me asking?

TygerTung
28th March 2007, 02:07
Is that a CB or a CG?

Spyke
28th March 2007, 16:38
Is that a CB or a CG?
its ct125e

the guy before me did some extensive work on her because if im right thats a dirt bike frame.

Spyke
28th March 2007, 16:41
What's all the tin for, if you don't mind me asking?
the tin is on there i think mainly to stop your foot or gear getting caught in the wheel so that you can tuck your legs in to the bike more, plus it makes it look better.

Q- are you customising your cb250 to make it look like a cafe' racer?

because if you are that is what i really want to do too when i get a road bike!

xwhatsit
28th March 2007, 22:37
the tin is on there i think mainly to stop your foot or gear getting caught in the wheel so that you can tuck your legs in to the bike more, plus it makes it look better.

Q- are you customising your cb250 to make it look like a cafe' racer?

because if you are that is what i really want to do too when i get a road bike!

Ah I see. I suppose with the rear-set pegs, you are dangerously close to the drive linkage ^_^.

Yep, haha. It's going to be an on-going project, it has to be done inexpensively. I'm taking notes from Motu on how to draw a project out as long as possible :innocent:. Cool! The more customised bikes on the road, the better as far as I'm concerned. Cookie-cut bikes are kind of impersonal in my humble opinion, unless of course they are concourse original-style bikes.

Spyke
29th March 2007, 07:25
Ah I see. I suppose with the rear-set pegs, you are dangerously close to the drive linkage ^_^.

Yep, haha. It's going to be an on-going project, it has to be done inexpensively. I'm taking notes from Motu on how to draw a project out as long as possible :innocent:. Cool! The more customised bikes on the road, the better as far as I'm concerned. Cookie-cut bikes are kind of impersonal in my humble opinion, unless of course they are concourse original-style bikes.
yea the legs would be in a pretty dangerous spot, i can just imagen myself getting caught up in the wheel or something.

i just love seeing custom bikes, they just stick out from the rest. i personally love the style of the cafe' racer styled bike.

Buddha#81
29th March 2007, 21:54
Some of the bucket guys run a Ching Shin skinny down here (dont know what model) but they seem to work ok and are under $50 per tyre. They're a 90/90-18ish. Dunlop do a TT900 in a skinny 18" but $130 or more.

Spyke
30th March 2007, 07:13
Some of the bucket guys run a Ching Shin skinny down here (dont know what model) but they seem to work ok and are under $50 per tyre. They're a 90/90-18ish. Dunlop do a TT900 in a skinny 18" but $130 or more.
thanks for the info will have to see if i can get them up here.

mouldy
1st April 2007, 10:02
3.00 x 18 Michelin M45 . Cheapish and good for buckets , wish I hadn,t sold mine .

Spyke
1st April 2007, 13:24
thanks

do you guys think theres any point of putting a smaller tyre on the front
? its a 3 inch metzeler at the moment but i was thinking of putting that on the back.

xwhatsit
1st April 2007, 14:42
thanks

do you guys think theres any point of putting a smaller tyre on the front
? its a 3 inch metzeler at the moment but i was thinking of putting that on the back.

I'm nobody very smart, but I would've thought on a bucket that the narrower tyres the better. Less rolling resistance, so more top speed -- and on such a super-light bike, I don't think I'd be worried about losing either end, with suitably grippy enough rubber. Take a look at some of the hardcore 125 race bikes out there -- the front tyre is very narrow.

Spyke
1st April 2007, 18:09
I'm nobody very smart, but I would've thought on a bucket that the narrower tyres the better. Less rolling resistance, so more top speed -- and on such a super-light bike, I don't think I'd be worried about losing either end, with suitably grippy enough rubber. Take a look at some of the hardcore 125 race bikes out there -- the front tyre is very narrow.
yea thats true.

i will keep an eye out for skinnier tyres, recommended width anybody?