PDA

View Full Version : Why the exhaust was off my bike and top service by Sawyers

merv
22nd August 2004, 20:51
A few weekends back when I went on the Welly KB ride for the first time my VFR blew gases out under the bike when I started it - you know the condensation you get when you start cold.

I knew I scraped the collector box on a judder bar many years ago, but when I checked it out this time I found I'd ground the seam weld away when cornering. See pic. Now I'm no great peg scraper and have been unaware the collector box has been scraping - probably only happens when you hit a bump mid corner because basically its all tucked in neatly under the engine.

I took it off last weekend and delivered it to Brendan (from Sawyers) house - he doesn't live too far from me. Seeing I'm a fair weather rider I told him no hurry but I had thought I would paint it up and put it back on this weekend. Brendan dropped it back to my house yesterday and the fantastic bit was he says no charge for that. I think he got "Mechanic" to weld it up. Great service from both of you - thanks.

However, see my other thread, besides working on my house which I had planned, I wasted time buggering around to go and buy a new letterbox. Decided to get one of those security jobs, but that meant no-one was open, they were all at the house and garden show at the stadium. So I go down there and buy one, but it means I had to wait until the guy delivered it this morning. So what did I have time for in the end? Well I have sprayed the collector box and the fittings with the flameproof paint but I guess I'll leave it until next week to fit now. No hurry eh!

Magua
22nd August 2004, 21:15
I must say the bike looks wicked without the bottom fairing on.

FROSTY
22nd August 2004, 21:35
Ill second that opinion. It looks agressive

merv
23rd August 2004, 19:43
I must say the bike looks wicked without the bottom fairing on.

I like the style of the 94 VFR with the fairings on, but if you are that keen here's a side on pic of the bike sitting in my garage waiting for me to put it back together and it does look quite different with the panels off. No exhaust pipe kind of makes it look uncluttered too, but you don't see that so much with the fairings on.

Motu
23rd August 2004, 20:16
Hello walls, (Hello, hello.)
How'd things go for you today?
Don't you miss her.
Since she up and walked away?
And I'll bet you dread to spend another lonely night with me,
But lonely walls, I'll keep you company.

dangerous
23rd August 2004, 22:14
I knew I scraped the collector box on a judder bar many years ago, but when I checked it out this time I found I'd ground the seam weld away when cornering. See pic. Now I'm no great peg scraper and have been unaware the collector box has been scraping - probably only happens when you hit a bump mid corner because basically its all tucked in neatly under the engine.
You fat bastard :msn-wink: Hell Merv I had mine up to 260kph and rode it hard in the twisties and never scraped once how are you managing it? :)
Tell ya what though its a bloody nice bike 1000km in a day is no problem well in Oz anyway.

merv
24th August 2004, 08:15
You fat bastard :msn-wink: Hell Merv I had mine up to 260kph and rode it hard in the twisties and never scraped once how are you managing it? :)
Tell ya what though its a bloody nice bike 1000km in a day is no problem well in Oz anyway.

Good point, but I'm a short arse and weigh less than 70kg. Maybe some phantom is borrowing the bike at night when I'm tucked up in bed.

merv
28th August 2004, 19:04
OK finally had a chance to get back to the bike. Snow on the 'tukas so I set up the heater in my garage (soft prick eh!) and refitted the exhaust system on the VFR. This is when you do curse a V engine versus an inline because fitting the nuts back on to the exhaust flange for the rear cylinders is a bit of a bugger as there aint much room to get your fingers in there. Resorted to using blue tack to hold one of the nuts in the socket in the end and that got it on OK. So all done now. When's the fine weather due so I can hit the road again?

I do prefer the look of this bike with the fairing panels on.

Blakamin
30th August 2004, 12:13
OK finally had a chance to get back to the bike. When's the fine weather due so I can hit the road again?

I do prefer the look of this bike with the fairing panels on.

Just saw in another thread about the age of your bike...nice!

oh, and the fine weathers due sometime in 2005
:mad: