PDA

View Full Version : Tottling around the South Island in mid-June

Ms Piggy
24th March 2007, 15:38
Okay so I am only 4 weeks into my final year of my degree and I'm already looking forward to my mid-semester break! I'm trying to finish an essay right now...honest I am!

I hand in my last essay on the 11th June, promptly followed by the application of several gins. After I recover from that I was seriously thinking of taking a bit of a visiting ride down South. I have friends & wahanu from Kaikoura through to Dunedin that I'd like to see but I'm not so sure about weather conditions and more specifically that icy stuff.

I'll be on my faithful little Black Betty (CB250RS) and on my own. I rode down in Feb 2005 and loved it, this is more about catching up with people than doing a lot of riding though.

What do people reckon? Good idea or not?

Trudes
24th March 2007, 15:48
Go for it doll, may be just the blow out you need!!!

ceebie13
24th March 2007, 16:53
That's funny! So are we! When are you going Celtic?

EDIT: Just re-read the title of your thread! Doh!

Lyn and I are setting off on the 6th April and doing Picton - Westport - Franz Josef (yes, even on a Honda!) - Arrowtown - Te Anau - Dunedin - Christchurch (rellies) - Picton. Back in Welly on the 17th.
Please God! Let the weather be half decent this trip. Amen.

Steam
24th March 2007, 17:32
Go for it, excellent time of year. Just watch out for frost in the shade on cold days.

miSTa
24th March 2007, 21:37
Do it. Sure it can be cold but with the right gear its not a problem.

Unless a big front comes through dumps snow like it last year then you won't have a problem with the road conditions. Has as already been suggested watch for shady spots on cold days.

Shame it wasn't a week earlier to catch the Brass Monkey, maybe another year.

Ms Piggy
25th March 2007, 11:42
Shame it wasn't a week earlier to catch the Brass Monkey, maybe another year.
I haven't been to any bike rally's yet so the Brass Monkay would have been great - oh well. My 3 essays are due between the 5th and the 11th of June - cruel aye! If only it had been the week before Queens B'day!

Thanks everyone for the advice & encouragement.

Ms Piggy
25th March 2007, 11:53
Lyn and I are setting off on the 6th April and doing Picton - Westport - Franz Josef (yes, even on a Honda!) - Arrowtown - Te Anau - Dunedin - Christchurch (rellies) - Picton. Back in Welly on the 17th.
Please God! Let the weather be half decent this trip. Amen.

You will love it! As I say I did a trip back in Feb 05. I went all over the place. Loads of fun and meet lots of KBers along the way.

T.W.R
25th March 2007, 11:56
Go for it :Punk: best way to revitalise ones self after finishing a course:yes:

If the weather is settled the scenery will be majestic. And as said just watch shaded corners etc. but most of all enjoy it.

crazybigal
25th March 2007, 19:22
cool! just watch out for the grit and ice! cold time of year in the deep south! pack your woolies!!

jafar
25th March 2007, 19:50
Franz Josef (yes, even on a Honda!) [/QUOTE]

Franz joseph is great, The publican @ the hotel is offering a free beer to all kber's Especially HONDA riders :rockon:

Ruralman
25th March 2007, 20:11
yeah it can be cold at that time of the year -generally if you can do most of your riding between 11am and 4 pm you'll keep warm easily on frosty type days. After the sun goes down it gets real cold very quickly.
The worst times for the ice is when it just starts to thaw and when its just starting to form - at both times it is less obvious and F..cking slippery. Generally between 11 and 4 you will avoid this but you've still got to watch those dark shady spots.
of course the advantage when on holiday of only riding between 11am and 4pm is that it matches perfectly with partying it up and sleeping in !!!!!
Put a note on the Dunedin rides thread when you're coming down and I'm sure some of the friendly locals would be keen to meet up and show you round.

Ms Piggy
27th March 2007, 18:18
Put a note on the Dunedin rides thread when you're coming down and I'm sure some of the friendly locals would be keen to meet up and show you round.

Cheers for the info. I'm actually orginally a Mainlander and Dunedin is my home town but I'm not sure I'll get down that far this time...would be fun though.

Ms Piggy
27th March 2007, 18:20
Franz joseph is great, The publican @ the hotel is offering a free beer to all kber's Especially HONDA riders :rockon:

Yup I went to Franz Josef last time round (1 of my bigger ride days, from Akaroa to Franz)...don't recall any offers of free beer though! Must've gone to the wrong pub :D

Smoggie
1st April 2007, 06:41
Enjoy your trip. Might want to think about the Cold Duck rally next month. Would be a good break from your studies.

SDU
2nd April 2007, 12:18
Hopefully you'll get some good frosts for good weather then. Don't forget ya heated grips & thermos. And there are plenty of pubs with fires around to organise a get together with the locals.
All the best with the assignments.

scumdog
2nd April 2007, 12:25
Ya going to drop in again this time when you get down???

Be nice to catch up with you again - sheesh it's TWO years already??:gob:

Hanne
7th April 2007, 20:08
In terms of the cold, can't be much worse than this summer and the temperatures when camping over new years!

What's that? There's SNOW?!
(so what if I'm an aucklander:P)