PDA

View Full Version : Possible bike vs car New Plymouth

sunhuntin
24th March 2007, 18:51
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=16237979&threadid=16237979

sketchy details... doesnt sound good though. :bye:

KLOWN
24th March 2007, 19:02
reading those posts, it looks like it was bad.

Meanie
24th March 2007, 19:02
oh crap another motorcyclist dies
RIP whoevever you are and condolences to the family
Anyone know who it was

kneescraper
24th March 2007, 19:06
DAM IT - Whats happening, bikers are dropping fast. Well it seems that way, doesnt it!?

Come on guys....rubber side down and saftey gear on. I see so many "cool" people riding with T Shirts and shorts on...good saftey gear and commen sense will win on the day!

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the biker, also feel for the driver..cant be a good feeling.

Jorja
24th March 2007, 19:10
Is there no legal requirements for safety gear on bikes? Apart from helmets that is.

If there isn't, why isn't there?

kneescraper
24th March 2007, 19:13
Saftey gear to the police is a helmet. Have you not seem them riding their police bikes...saftey gear...what saftey gear?

You are on the button though...however it would be very hard to inforce and think about the upraw it would create.

sunhuntin
24th March 2007, 19:14
the guy who went down may well have been wearing all the gear. i ride in tshirts in town when its too hot to be bothered with a jacket. i wont stop either...

Colapop
24th March 2007, 19:16
Please lets not debate gear in this thread.

RIP Rider.

kneescraper
24th March 2007, 19:16
Thats your choice...but maybe when you see the mess which is left when a biker is killed on the road will change your mind....maybe not.

Jorja
24th March 2007, 19:17
Would have thought it would be easier to enforce than seat belts and drunk driving!!!!!
If you are seen riding without proper gear it is an instant fine.

Long pants and jacket that are rated as suitable for motorbikes.
Boots rated as suitable for motorbikes.
Helmet.
Gloves.

I have only had one lesson and picked up my first bike yesterday. We have heaps of gear but the boots don't fit. So brought a second hand pair before i even picked up the bike. Would never consider not using safety gear.

kneescraper
24th March 2007, 19:17

RIP Rider.

Yeah, sorry guys!!!! No offence meant and nor did I mean to upset any one....just hits a nerve, back onto the subject.

sunhuntin
24th March 2007, 19:19

RIP Rider.

good move col. somehow when someone goes down, its always assumed he was not wearing gear.

kneescraper...i got hit by a car wearing jeans and a tshirt. my upper body came away unscathed, yet my right knee is fucked, and my left leg is numb. no gear would have prevented that. btw...ill never ride in shorts... engine gets too hot!

jorja...check my thread over in politics and law...i basically got shit on for reporting a rider carrying a pillion who had no helmet. told that it didnt directly affect me, so keep my nose out. i wasnt thinking of me...i was thinking of the dipsticks family and those who have to hose the road.
im not agreeing with the idea of enforcing jackets etc. some days its too hot. i love the feel of wind on my arms and under my shirts.

Shaun
24th March 2007, 19:21
This guy would have been good gear! RIP Dude.

k14
24th March 2007, 19:21
I've heard first hand from someone who was at the scene that the rider died instantly, broken neck apparantly. Was riding a red ducati, although I guess that doesn't really narrow it down.

RIP :no:

kneescraper
24th March 2007, 19:25
Yeah the trademe forum has provided a bit of info....RIP!!!!!

btw...I wasnt implying he wasnt wearing gear.

elle-f
24th March 2007, 21:56
I heard there was a bike vs people mover on the rimutakas this afternoon as well. anybody know anything about that? apparently the rider was with 3 others and they had stopped. thats all i know but judging by what people have said - it didnt look good at all

Rest in Peace to that biker who was mentioned

Street Gerbil
24th March 2007, 21:57
RIP biker.
I am anal about ATG ATT, but it seems that this is one instance where having or not having proper gear would not have done a slightest bit of difference. Apparently the collision was so bad that the car (!) burst into flames. Alas, in bike vs. car, car always wins.

BTW does anyone know what went wrong on southbound sh1 in the region of the spaghetti junction at approx 1315. The traffic was stopped for at least 10 minutes. I sure hope nothing serious. May be another 'save the kitten' stunt.

EDITED: Here is the official announcement. (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4004478a11.html) F***!

elle-f
24th March 2007, 22:03
where is spaghetti junction?

Ixion
24th March 2007, 22:21
Just up the road from Lake Lasagna

crashe
24th March 2007, 22:27
where is spaghetti junction?

Tis the section of the Auckland motorway's where they all join up together.
And at peak time it gets very clogged indeed.

The nor-western joins the southern motorway.
The nor-western joins the northern motorway.

The southern joins the northern motorway.
The southern joins the nor-western motorway.

The northern joins the nor-western motorway.
The northern joins the southern motorway.

elle-f
24th March 2007, 22:29
OH........i um get it........:shit:

Madness
24th March 2007, 22:43
I heard there was a bike vs people mover on the rimutakas this afternoon as well. anybody know anything about that?

Buell going uphill from Feathers, seems he may have been caught out by a wind gust as it appeared to me that collision happened in downhill lane. Impact across front of people mover and a big head-sized impression in windscreen. Ambo took rider towards Feathers quite slowly, possibly not a bad sign?

Hans
24th March 2007, 22:57
Buell going uphill from Feathers, seems he may have been caught out by a wind gust as it appeared to me that collision happened in downhill lane. Impact across front of people mover and a big head-sized impression in windscreen. Ambo took rider towards Feathers quite slowly, possibly not a bad sign?

To the contrary. If an ambo takes off slowly it's usually a bad sign.

CM2005
24th March 2007, 23:03
Blind car man. fuckwits. typical. sad too see another biker down... Ride In Peace

Patrick
25th March 2007, 00:59
Funny how the stories grow in Tardme... thought they must have been talking about something else...

Don't think he is a KBer... lived out Waitara. Had his daughter on the back earlier, luckily not at the crash...

Short version... Early days but speed on his part "may" be a factor but investigation continues... the car did a U turn in front of him...

Krusti
25th March 2007, 07:31
Cars should be banned!

Never nice to hear this sort of news...RIP

Donor
25th March 2007, 11:16
To the contrary. If an ambo takes off slowly it's usually a bad sign.

Really?

I've transported many people at road speed or below if it's a bit bumpy... never been a bad thing as far as I am aware...

Usually, if it's a fatal, the ambulance won't transport the victim. The police leave the body in situ until their scene exam is complete, and the on call undertaker will be called to remove the body.

Hans
25th March 2007, 11:18
My bad. Didn't realise that's the way it works over here. Back at home ambos will take the deceased away.

Mully
25th March 2007, 12:06
BTW does anyone know what went wrong on southbound sh1 in the region of the spaghetti junction at approx 1315. The traffic was stopped for at least 10 minutes. I sure hope nothing serious. May be another 'save the kitten' stunt.

It was some dozy bint stopping on the Newmarker flyover, jumping out of the cage and threatening to jump off.

Apparently, it was only for 10 minutes, but in typical Auckland motorway fashion, the back up lasted for hours. Oh, and the Girls Day Out thing in Greenlane wouldn't have helped much.

Off topic, so anyway. RIP biker and condolences to the family.

sunhuntin
25th March 2007, 15:59
Tis the section of the Auckland motorway's where they all join up together.
And at peak time it gets very clogged indeed.

The nor-western joins the southern motorway.
The nor-western joins the northern motorway.

The southern joins the northern motorway.
The southern joins the nor-western motorway.

The northern joins the nor-western motorway.
The northern joins the southern motorway.

and the toe bones connected to the...foot bone
the foots bones connected to the.... leg bone
leg bones connected to...............................
*claps in rhythm*

CM2005
25th March 2007, 16:46
[QUOTE=Mully;988665]It was some dozy bint stopping on the Newmarker flyover, jumping out of the cage and threatening to jump off.
[\QUOTE]

why couldn't "Van Halens - Jump" have come on at that time...:done:

Boob Johnson
25th March 2007, 17:05
The papers haven't released his name yet so neither will I but a close friend told me who it was yesterday. I knew him, we lived just around the corner from him as kids in Waitara. He went to school with one of my sisters & had been around to our house many times over the years.

RIP dude

quickbuck
25th March 2007, 17:17
Condolences to friends and family of biker.
RIP Dude.

jtzzr
25th March 2007, 17:37
Always so sad to hear , Condolences to the family and friends . RIP biker

crazybigal
25th March 2007, 17:39
hmm came over from feathers myself at 5pm, didnt see any police or road markings, weather was calm just the usual sun in your eyes stuff.

Sensei
25th March 2007, 17:48
Knew him through my work & are abit blown away when I found out . Not to many 999's here so was only one of 3 people . Bloody good bugger & feel for family & friends .

dogsnbikes
25th March 2007, 17:53
RIP Dude

Was almost taken out in Shannon last week missed me by a bike length and then thought he was heading striaght for the missus either highspeed drunk or thief...that asshole will be found

must be time we had a cage free day in godzone and turn SH1 and SH2 into oneway systems now that put track day in a new league:Punk:

but on the serious note all.... stay focused guys

Macktheknife
25th March 2007, 17:53
RIP to rider, family and friends.

NUTBAR
25th March 2007, 18:24
i was in new plymouth when it happed, talked two a couple of guys who were at the crash
a car with two old people got hit by the bike and burst into flames.
the old people are ok
biker was killed instantly
he was a 38 year old father of two.

R.I.P

Dodger
25th March 2007, 20:32
R.I.P
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4005174a11.html

Grub
25th March 2007, 21:45
New Plymouth police also named a 38 year-old-motorcyclist who died on Saturday after a crash with a car in Devon Rd. He was Paul Durhan Mitchell.

The accident happened on the northern side of the Waiwhakaiho Bridge.

Two occupants of the car managed to get out before it caught fire but attempts to resuscitate the motorcyclist at the scene failed, the Taranaki Daily News reported.

The car driver, a 61-year-old male, received minor injuries and both he and the occupant were take to Taranaki Base Hospital.

Daffyd
25th March 2007, 22:41
Condolences to friends and family of the victim.

Dazza
26th March 2007, 11:51
Yep, yuck, was heading North for my Saturday ride when I came across the scene, not good !
RIP Dude.

ManDownUnder
26th March 2007, 11:55

Nasty
26th March 2007, 12:18
RIP rider .. condolences to family and friends.

Boob Johnson
26th March 2007, 16:41
New Plymouth police also named a 38 year-old-motorcyclist who died on Saturday after a crash with a car in Devon Rd. He was Paul Durhan Mitchell the Taranaki Daily News reported.Yeah just saw the confirmation in the paper today.

Hadn't seen him in years. But always knew him to be a stand up guy.

RIP Beak :bye: