PDA

View Full Version : First bin today (26 March)

j_redley
24th March 2007, 21:11
Had my first bin today, riding around the summit road up the hills in Christchurch. T.W.R will be able to confirm the details since he was behind me and it all seemed to happen too fast but from my point of view...:scooter:

Coming over a crest and slightly down hill, took a right hand turn, gave it too much gas and over cooked it for the next right hander. Ran off the left hand side of the road onto the grass, and being more concerned about the impending hill on my left side, came back onto the road. The front wheel was shaking, and it gripped on the road again, folded and down she went on her right hand side. Here's where it kind of ends up a little blurry, because the bike ended up ahead of me, and I was face down after sliding who knows how far on the road. Big rip in the jeans with a prick of a gash in my knee. Few rips in the jacket though luckily only my leg was cut.

Cosmetics mainly to the bike, smashed right indicator, scratches on the top fairing, scratches to the exhaust but luckily about it, was able to ride the bike home, hitch a ride to A& E to get the knee looked again. Again seemingly cosmetics but I managed to damage a ligament and got a massive bandage, a battle wound and some crutches. Not looking forward to being bloody sore tommorow, or needing to fix the cosmetic bikes. Definatly need to invest in some leather bike pants now though, and some boots. Clean ripped through those jeans. Photo's could follow if they came out alright...

RC1
24th March 2007, 21:16
that sucks dude,at least you walked away from it,good to hear your ok, bike can be repaired,time to get leathers .

SpinFx
24th March 2007, 21:38
$200 bucks for a pair of leather pants, well worth the investment. Glad to hear your still with us. Bikes can be fixed and parts replaced....we can't.

j_redley
24th March 2007, 21:38
Yep, I walked away, and the bike can be repaired. And I learnt how not to ride around a corner.

Steam
24th March 2007, 21:42
Good to hear you're ok. I believe that's what's called the Noobie run-wide, the classic first crash.

T.W.R
25th March 2007, 00:24
Mate that's bastard about the ligament damage. Though in saying that, it's a lot better than what could have been :yes:
You did well keeping the bike pointing somewhere close to the direction of the road and not heading down that bank :sick: plus I would have been pissed off having to deal with that mess :shutup: (p/t).

As I'd said to you earlier you've improved substantially since the last time we were out, your positioning & presence on the road is better,and your sense of anticipation of what's ahead is developing:yes: Though you picked a bugger of a spot to be over zealous in your approach:pinch: .

Couldn't believe what I was seeing unfold in front of me; But from what I saw, once you ran wide and on to the grass verge you struck the rough ground, fought with the bike to keep it upright ran down the slight lip back onto the road & with the angle of the bike washed the front end out, skidded across the road with the bike going one way & you going front 1st the other way :sick:

Luckily the damage to both you and the KR wasn't extreme. Though I was pretty sure the gash in your knee would need a stitch. The damage to the bike fortunately is minor and easily repaired.

Maybe we shouldn't have talked about riding gear when we'd stopped earlier. Definitely on the shopping list now will be some leather pants & boots :niceone: And after seeing the holes scrubbed into your jacket I'd be looking at a Leather jacket in the future too :yes:. For a low speed off & the small amount of time sliding the damage to the jacket was significant.

Mend that knee up fast and get back out there :scooter:

pics

1) Damage to the bike (gravel rash to panel, pipe, mirror, wiped off indicator)
2) Damage to knee
3) The fateful scene (fine line in shorter grass (path), patch of oil (final resting spot))
4) Location :shutup:

MyGSXF
25th March 2007, 00:37
AAAhh CRAP!! :shit: sorry to hear about your bin Jono.. :( Glad that you got to walk away from it 'relatively' unscathed though.. :blink: hope your knee heals quickly!! that's a nasty looking gash in it too.. :sick:

Take it easy for a few days aye.. :yes: & when ya ready.. you show that horse who's boss!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

Deviant Esq
25th March 2007, 08:41
Sorry to hear about your bin mate... but at least you weren't stuck up there on your own! If I was able to choose who would be around to pick up the pieces if I were to bin (touch wood that I won't), T.W.R would be that man.

I know that corner, gravel on the road can often be a bit of a problem as well. Good effort for not riding off down the hill! That really would've tightened your ring!! :shit: Remarkably little damage to the bike after all that, it looks almost totally unscathed apart from the indicator and gravel rash. She'll clean up good as new, don't worry. :niceone:

Shame you had to learn about gear the hard way... but at least you're not too badly hurt. Many people have done a lot worse on their first bin! Hang in there, got a good tutor in T.W.R ;)

gijoe1313
25th March 2007, 09:00
Sorry to hear about your bin :gob: You did well not to run off the road and considering the other scenarios ... :sick: At least you can reflect and learn about your experiences and posting about it! :yes:

Good job all round, riding with your mentor and having piccies to show for it - nice looking bike, which shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I've been there and done that, so chin up, think about the art of riding and you'll be right for the future!

And oh yeah, owwie about the knee :doh: Hopefully that'll come right nicely and you'll be back in the saddle riding down those lanes to freedom! :yes:

desmo dave
25th March 2007, 09:42
Shit loads of bikers have come a gutza on that road and you wont be the last. winter time is the more popular time to bin it with all the ice grit they lay on around there.Looks like you had a cheap lesson re bike gear.Scars build character.

heyjoe
25th March 2007, 11:14
Sorry to hear about your bin man.

Glad to hear the injuries are not too big and healing will come with time. I guess this is one chance for you to learn even in this situation. Hope u get back out there again soon and keep practising. Good luck.

j_redley
25th March 2007, 18:18
Yeah, big cheers to T.W.R for the help, cause I was a bloody shocker. Adrenaline does funny things to your body I tell yah, only fully calmed down today I reckon.

Won't be letting that bike sit around for ages, planning on getting back on within a couple of weeks just for a ride to get used to the bike again.

Unfortunatly I can't blame my bin on Ice grit, was fully me getting too confident and going too fast. Bugger :-p

CM2005
25th March 2007, 18:25
Bugger aye bro, coulda been worse! my mate did that, but an old 50cent sized gash... that was nasty! good to see the KR's okay too!

T.W.R
25th March 2007, 18:40
Yeah, big cheers to T.W.R for the help, cause I was a bloody shocker. Adrenaline does funny things to your body I tell yah, only fully calmed down today I reckon.

Won't be letting that bike sit around for ages, planning on getting back on within a couple of weeks just for a ride to get used to the bike again.

Unfortunatly I can't blame my bin on Ice grit, was fully me getting too confident and going too fast. Bugger :-p

:lol: You were entertaining :shutup: some of the comments you came out with were beauties :yes:

I'll price up some bits at work for you too :niceone:

Macktheknife
25th March 2007, 19:11
Sounds like you got off lightly mate, bugger about your knee but therein lies the lesson of good gear I guess.
Hope you heal faster and repairs go well, take it easy out there mate.
Big ups to TWR for looking out for you.

merv
25th March 2007, 19:19
Whatever you do stay on the road up there on the hills as the drops are rather big. I lost a mate up there when I was second year Uni he put his car over the edge down into Heathcote Valley.

xwhatsit
25th March 2007, 23:49
Good to hear you're ok. I believe that's what's called the Noobie run-wide, the classic first crash.

Yep, me too. Gah! Pretty impressive crash though, I have to say. Beautiful scenery, off-road moments, tank-slapper of sorts... you could've had worse crashes!

Glad to see damage to you is relatively minimal. Hope the ligament damage isn't too bad -- my knee caused me to spend a few months on crutches, and it's a bitch.

Bike looks pretty good, actually. Quite a passable looking ride. Scratches on your silencer give you street cred, anyway :D

FruitLooPs
26th March 2007, 17:06
Ouchie thats gotta suck.

I've come a hairs bredth of going off the hills on a couple of occassions when i was really new on my RG150. Once with the wide on the corner from overcooking it and once with a chicance with a steep camber off the side of the road that i didn't see (at night). :sick: I froze up the first time and sat up a little mid corner which nearly stuffed it completely for me.

Live and learn I guess, glad that you're ok! :yes: Grit/gravel up there is a pretty big problem too - little river to hilltop is cleaner and I learnt to corner ok fairly quickly doing that a couple times. :rockon:

hitch
26th March 2007, 17:17
All the best with your healing time. Good to hear you walked away. :scooter:

T.W.R
26th March 2007, 17:25
Whatever you do stay on the road up there on the hills as the drops are rather big. I lost a mate up there when I was second year Uni he put his car over the edge down into Heathcote Valley.

It's a piece of road that deserves respect :yes: Your mate (r.i.p) is one of a few who've gone by that means :sick: There'd be scores of bikers who have been bitten by the Summit Rd. I've known a few who have donated bikes to the Summit, some walked away unscathed, some didn't, one guy had to learn to walk again after throwing his bike over the side. Even I punched a bike into the hill at 120kmh many years ago :innocent:

Grit/gravel up there is a pretty big problem too - little river to hilltop is cleaner and I learnt to corner ok fairly quickly doing that a couple times. :rockon:

The Akaroa run is filled with more vicious traps than the Summit for a learner and the mid section of the Summit ( Sign of the Kiwi to Gebbies) is the grit capital.

kiwifruit
26th March 2007, 17:32
Had my first bin today, riding around the summit road up the hills in Christchurch. T.W.R will be able to confirm the details since he was behind me and it all seemed to happen too fast but from my point of view...:scooter:

Coming over a crest and slightly down hill, took a right hand turn, gave it too much gas and over cooked it for the next right hander. Ran off the left hand side of the road onto the grass, and being more concerned about the impending hill on my left side, came back onto the road. The front wheel was shaking, and it gripped on the road again, folded and down she went on her right hand side. Here's where it kind of ends up a little blurry, because the bike ended up ahead of me, and I was face down after sliding who knows how far on the road. Big rip in the jeans with a prick of a gash in my knee. Few rips in the jacket though luckily only my leg was cut.

Cosmetics mainly to the bike, smashed right indicator, scratches on the top fairing, scratches to the exhaust but luckily about it, was able to ride the bike home, hitch a ride to A& E to get the knee looked again. Again seemingly cosmetics but I managed to damage a ligament and got a massive bandage, a battle wound and some crutches. Not looking forward to being bloody sore tommorow, or needing to fix the cosmetic bikes. Definatly need to invest in some leather bike pants now though, and some boots. Clean ripped through those jeans. Photo's could follow if they came out alright...

stink mate = (
its a stunning piece of road, i was always worried about binning along there

i hope the knee doesn't give you too much trouble

SDU
27th March 2007, 11:50
Buggar on your off. Hope you heal fast & back on your bike soon.
Good on ya TWR for being there to help out.