PDA

View Full Version : I just have to say it.

KATWYN
25th March 2007, 10:17
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but....a lot of threads start
with "my FIRST crash today" or "I had my FIRST bin"

Does this mean that a SECOND crash/bin is expected to follow sometime?

Or perhaps its " yay thats that over and done with!"

or now understanding and experiencing the vulnerability of bikes?

Maybe its seen by some as a right of passage into motorcycling ??

i'm only talking about how threads are headed up thats all (not the content)
No biggy

Oakie
25th March 2007, 10:25
Funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing on Friday night when I saw one of those threads. It's almost as if a bin is inevitable and is required to increase your standing in the biker world.

Krusti
25th March 2007, 10:30
I feel a little left out at times as touch wood I haven't had one yet, on a road bike at least. But boy have I had some doozies off road.

In the old days crashes were kept in the closet and not spoken of.

Maha
25th March 2007, 10:33
I understand what you are saying and it sometimes seems like they want a little gold star to slap on their tanks like the Fighter Pilots did in WW1, and they are looking forward the next one...:Punk:
I have only ever posted in one of those threads and the thread starter didnt babble on about it....just got on with it.....:rockon:

Nitzer
25th March 2007, 10:40
I think people are just sharing their unfortunate experience rather than bragging about it, if it gives others a heads-up to ride carefully (including me) then I'm happy to hear about it

Krusti
25th March 2007, 10:50
I think people are just sharing their unfortunate experience rather than bragging about it, if it gives others a heads-up to ride carefully (including me) then I'm happy to hear about it

I'm not knocking folks who post Nitzer, just seems wierd to me that maybe guys and gals when they start riding expect that they WILL crash. And not only once but probably more than once.

I believe it's a bit like ... you ride where you look. If you believe you will crash at some time then you will.

Remember, we don't have to crash buy yeah sometimes shit happens.

Trust me I've had my share of being used as the dunny for someone out there in the Universe.

Who knows....

kneescraper
25th March 2007, 10:54
I'm with Nitzer on this, like me I ride pretty much by myself as none of my mates ride and Im not in a local group so something like a bin is a big stepping stone for me....so I share it with other bikers. Much like some of you guys do at the local with your rider mates.

Some of us need support from others....:) Thats why we are all going to heaven, because of the love we share....group hug people!

T.W.R
25th March 2007, 11:12
Maybe the riders that head up their threads like that are more realistic about
motorcycle riding then ones that may only say " I had a crash today" or "I had a bin" or is it seen by some as a right of passage into motorcycling ??

Maybe just maybe if you think about it, threads posted here and in other similar forums of this nature on this particular topic of a 1st bin are posted for the reasons of a bit support & sympathy (We are supposed to be a a supportive community, especially for younger newbies to the biking world), the possibility that someone maybe able to help diagnose what went wrong and suggest a remedy to minimise the chance of said incident happening again.
You got to remember a lot of newer riders haven't got a lot of support or help when they start out. Posting such incidents & having third parties dissect the incident or offer remedies may help someone else avoid a similar incident.

Funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing on Friday night when I saw one of those threads. It's almost as if a bin is inevitable and is required to increase your standing in the biker world.

If you haven't had a bin or close call you're a liar, and don't be such a prat suggesting it's a right of passage into the realms of motorcycling.

In the old days crashes were kept in the closet and not spoken of.

And back in the old days, that idealism of being to proud to discuss what may have caused said crash didn't help the rider remedy the causes that lead to the crash, thus many crashes were complete replays of an event that had gone before. Cause/effect/remedy, many remedies are put forward by a 3rd party that can see both sides of the equation be it through experience or being able to see what lead to the cause.

I uderstand what you are saying and it sometimes seems like they want a little gold star to slap on their tanks like the Fighter Pilots did in WW1, and they are looking forward the next one...:Punk:

Just like some riders brag about their hooligan antics :msn-wink:

Nitzer
25th March 2007, 11:21
I'm not knocking folks who post Nitzer, just seems wierd to me that maybe guys and gals when they start riding expect that they WILL crash. And not only once but probably more than once.

I believe it's a bit like ... you ride where you look. If you believe you will crash at some time then you will.

Remember, we don't have to crash buy yeah sometimes shit happens.

Trust me I've had my share of being used as the dunny for someone out there in the Universe.

Who knows....

I can see where you are coming from, I guess when you first start riding there is a perception that you WILL have a crash as so many non-riders tell you how dangerous bikes are. To be fair when I first started riding other bikers told me I wasn't a true biker until I felt the pain of a crash (Bastards!).

Who knows, does having a bin make you a safer rider???

Maha
25th March 2007, 11:22

Just like some riders brag about their hooligan antics :msn-wink:

Each to their own....tis' the great thing about this forum in that, everybody is free to talk about what ever the hell they want to, and everybody is free to opinionate on what is said.....if someone wants to talk about a bin they had?...all good, and then get a loaner bike a week later and bin that bastard as well, what can ya say really?...in my case...nothing!....:shutup:

Madness
25th March 2007, 11:24
Who knows, does having a bin make you a safer rider???

For a while....
:innocent:

Krusti
25th March 2007, 11:25
And back in the old days, that idealism of being to proud to discuss what may have caused said crash didn't help the rider remedy the causes that lead to the crash, thus many crashes were complete replays of an event that had gone before. Cause/effect/remedy, many remedies are put forward by a 3rd party that can see both sides of the equation be it through experience or being able to see what lead to the cause.

You are right there, but maybe we are getting off track a little. The way I see the intent of this thread is...why say, "had my first bin" etc. All I say is I worry a little that some new guys may think that it is inevitable that they will crash or maybe many.

I say to them, think possitive.

God I'm an old man. Where's my slippers and rocking chair?:Punk:

Street Gerbil
25th March 2007, 11:26
The first crash is a very important factor for those of us surviving it - it teaches that we are no longer invincible.

Street Gerbil
25th March 2007, 13:57
I wish people would read my thread properly before launching and missing the point
Sir yes sir!

THE THREAD IS

NOT ABOUT BRAGGING.

Who in the right mind would see an injurious and potentially lethal crash causing damage to expensive vehicle and gear as a rite of passage or a reason for bragging?

IT IS SIMPLY HOW DO WE VIEW A CRASH/BIN WE MAY HAVE.

1/ ARE WE EXPECTING A SECOND CRASH? BY SAYING ITS OUR FIRST CRASH?

Closing one eyes on this inherent danger (can't happen to me) is not going to change the reality that riding the motorcycle is inherently dangerous. Yes I have survived my first off and I see the second one as inevitable. I can minimize the risk by riding defensively and wearing proper gear but I cannot nullify it without quitting riding altogether.

2/ OR IS IT WE ARE WE JUST PLEASED TO (AS SOMEONE SAID) HAVE SURVIVED IT SO WE HAVE NOW EXPERIENCED OUR VULNERABILITY?

This thought has crossed my mind too but it is better to learn from somebody else's experience. As Solo Han put it nicely "better her than me".

3/ OR IS IT SEEN AS A RIGHT OF PASSAGE?

Actually the correct word would be "rite" as in ritual. But yes, in some perversive sense, it signifies (a) departure from naivety of childhood invincibility into the real world where good guys get hurt and (b) a point where a newbie feels that s/he has gained some experience from which others can learn.

4/ OR SOMETHING ELSE??

The world would have been really boring indeed if everybody would share the same opinion about everything, neh?

Yes I was shouting - I think I have to
No you don't.

KATWYN
25th March 2007, 14:04
Sir yes sir!

Street Gerbil has all the answers. :first:

Thank you.

Thread officially answered now.