PDA

View Full Version : Murupara to Wairoa

Laava
25th March 2007, 16:03
Anyone done the Murupara to Wairoa road recently? My mate Graham told me it was a pig of a road that his workers would never drive thru again. When I asked him what the views were like, he said they were fantastic! :sunny: Just looking for comments really as it will be the first gravel road of our month long tour going to the South Island. Thanks in advance. Al

merv
25th March 2007, 17:13
On the V Strom you'll find it a great road - perfect - so don't believe what your mate said. A fair bit of gravel with it hard packed heading south to the lake and then more open and loose south from there toward Wairoa.

Colapop
25th March 2007, 17:20
I'll see if the old man knows - he lives in Wairoa. He's up and down from Murupara all the time..

Transalper
25th March 2007, 18:12
...a pig of a road that his workers would never drive I don't know the road, but my point is that to drive a road is not the same as taking an adventure bike through... one mans pig is another mans yeppeee:2thumbsup :clap: :drinknsin

Zukin
25th March 2007, 18:33
The last time I went through there was last year in a huge storm (mid winter) the Napier Taupo road was closed so I went that way :yes:
In a 2wd car as well.

It is a good formed road, lots of tight and twisty corners, it will be a breeze on the V Strom :yes:

When are you heading through? and where will you stop for the night? I know some great back countryroads on the way to Napier if you are interested?

Cheers scott

Robbo
25th March 2007, 20:19
I came across this road about eight weeks ago in a van from Wairoa to Murapara. Certainly not the best road for vehicles but would be an awesome experience on an adventure bike. The scenery is great especially Lake Waikeremoana, just watch out for horses wandering on the road as you come around the blind corners.

Laava
25th March 2007, 21:56
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm looking forward to it. Zukin, we are coming thru on the 9th April and staying with friends in Napier, then on to wellies. Wish we had more time for the East coast but that is much more do-able from Whangarei than Sth Is so we will get down there, and do East coast and Cape another time.:sunny:

oldrider
25th March 2007, 23:05
We lived at Tuai from 1966 to 1970 and used to use that road all the time and I bet it is almost just the same now as it was then, should be good on a modern bike. :yes: Cheers John.

Shadows
26th March 2007, 00:52
I went from Wairoa around past the end of the Lake Waikaremoana about a month back, that's about half way to Murupara. The usual corrugations on the uphill bits, but a nice wide road, and reasonably well compacted. I honestly don't know what this Graham guy is on about unless the Murupara half of the road is only a tenth as good as what I saw. He was right about the scenery, though.

Most of the road can be easily done at the speed limit (or more) in a car, so keep well left, there's no cell phone reception around most of those parts if you get my drift (or somebody else's) and some of the drop offs on the side of the road are pretty gnarly.

The DOC campground near Aniwaniwa on the lakeside is really really good if you want to stop off, and you aren't prepared for camping cold and damp they have nice cabins if that's more your style.

Expect to see stuff like this from the road.

Robbo
26th March 2007, 08:25
Hey Shadow, great pics, i spent a night at that DOC camping ground and waking up in the morning at the lakeside was awesome, unfortunately i did'nt have my camera with me so no pics. Yes, the road on the Murapara side is a lot worse than on the Wairoa side but it is still ok if you drive accordingly and the scenery is well worth the trip anyway. Would love to cross it sometime on a bike myself.

Laava
26th March 2007, 17:52
Good info and pics, thanks Shadows. My mate Graham has a Nissan Safari and tows a 8m long trailer with some big loads, so that was where he is coming from. We will be doing this road, just good to get others comments thank you very much!:sunny: