PDA

View Full Version : HELP!: accident on Paeroa ride, Feb 16

NhuanH
23rd June 2003, 19:19
Hoping some KBers on the ride down to Paeroa on February 16 when I crashed my Gixxer can help me out:

I am appearing in district court in a couple of weeks facing a Careless Driving charge from it. As I can’t recall the finer details (ie. BANG! then darkness and muffled voices), I have only heard anecdotal accounts. But these are the urban myths/theories that I have heard:

The ‘new seal’ warning sign was moved after my collision to make the scene ‘safer’
Other riders also ended up a little wide on that section of Clevedon-Kawakawa Bay Road, just didn’t scare the pants of an old lady in a Daewoo like I did.So…are there any KBers out there willing to confirm either of those 2 points in writing for me?

I was originally just gonna cop the charge because I know that I did end up on the wrong side of the road and I know that careless driving is the backstop one-size-fits-all charge that the police use, because of course someone was careless – if they had been careful there would not have been an accident right? But someone reminded me that it would mess up my immediate and possibly long term insurance prospects and who knows what else. So if there’s any help to be given to me from out there in cyberspace, karma will ensure your reward will come.

Also has any one had experience with kinda thing and how did it wash out? Bought a GSX-R1000 / Duke 996 within 6 months, fully insured? Still a fugitive as you read this? Something in between?I would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nhuan
:niceone:

bikerboy
23rd June 2003, 20:31
Sorry to here the charge, but I must say I'm not surprised as someone must be responsible and it isn't the state. :o

I know that the sign was not before the gravel, but was further up the road in the gravel area. This sign was moved back to the start of the gravel by other riders( in our group I believe) to make the road safer. The police were told thison site.

I must say while I didnt go wide the bike was moving all around until I slowed way down. Also on the remainder of that stretch of road I was very concerned as I found the road slippery at 70kph. Without warning signs most people would be doing 100 kph plus.

You need to hammer the point that there was not a warning sign until after the gravel patch. I'm willing to be a witness if necesary.

The old lady didn't look to be going 35 kph either.

aff-man
23rd June 2003, 23:00
Was a couple of bikes behind bb and will confirm all the sign was a good 300 to 500m up the road round the corner before it was moved i didn't even know if there was one untill someone stopped further up saw it and went and got it

Kwaka-Kid
24th June 2003, 08:03
was just (ahead of?) aff-man and yeah i dont remember any sign closer down our end.  and im not sure about the sliding thing,  i cant remember the speed i came into the corner @ but it was slow and slow enough to pull into hte inside and stop.  I will confirm that bank was slippery to get out of and aff-man helped push me out. they should have had a sign up for it! :P ahaha, i coulda done it with 1 more try but thanks for helping affman if i didnt already thank yah (better late then never)

What?
24th June 2003, 11:02
[i]I would appreciate any advice[/B]

Sorry, can't help as I wasn't there. But - Defend yourself vigourously against this charge. Nowhere else in the developed world would road maintenace outfits get away with the shoddy way they do jobs in NZ. The bastards get away with it here because they can hide behind the ACC.:angry2::angry2::angry2:

bluninja
24th June 2003, 11:25
My memory of that stretch of road was that there was a sign for roadworks 2-3 km before the loose stuff. I saw no evidence of roadworks until I came to the gravel, and slowed rapidly because I saw the change in road surface, as there were no signs immediately before.

TTFN

NhuanH
24th June 2003, 15:03
Folks,

Thanks for your support and advice.  I have contacted those with something direct to offer me.

I will of course update this community on fighting the good fight vs. The Man.

Cheers,

Nhuan  :D

Coldkiwi
24th June 2003, 18:33
nhuanh...have you got a good solictor who is very familiar with road user cases? I understand AMCC have got some solicitors contact details that are well versed in fighting court cases on behalf of motorcyclists. They may even have a solicitor who is a rider which would be ideal and may do it much cheaper than any old lawdog you go to

wkid_one
24th June 2003, 22:41
I am sorry to say - but there were actually two signs, one before each stretch of gravel - I was first through and saw both - indicating fresh seal and a speed limit of 30kph.....both were only on the left hand side of the road......would love to have better news - but I definitely remember slowing down for both signs until I saw the gravel was not in the tyre tracks....

Yamahamaman
24th June 2003, 23:10
wkid-one: Were you on the same road. I only ask as the other guys are from north and you are from south. I too travelled from Paeroa to Auckland on the 16th, however the route I took, there was no roadworks at all.

SPman
24th June 2003, 23:42
Yep - wkid1 was with KiwiDan and Bluninja in the first bikes away. I was following but cant honestly remember what signs where were. Just riding the road as found.

Kwaka-Kid
25th June 2003, 05:00
yep im with you SPman lol! cept that before we took off (when we went from one side of road to other) one of u guys (wkid maybe?) came up and told each of us that when we turn left for kawakawa bay or whatever somthing like that on the first left hand corner there is loose chip, so thats what i was going by :)

Coldkiwi
25th June 2003, 12:41
That was me.

I had just had a chat to some bikers who had come from kawakawa Bay and they warned me (since I was at the front of the group while we sat at the side of the road by the shell) that there were roadworks ahead. I then walked back through everyone although I can't recall what I said but i think it was just along the lines of 'look out because there's loose gravel ahead on this road'

Coldkiwi
25th June 2003, 12:43
Wkid, i guess we have to take your word for there being two signs... but how come we had to move one from further up the road back down to the bridge after the incident? We wouldn't have bother if there was already one there surely?

Kwaka-Kid
25th June 2003, 16:06
im sure i remember u saying that it was turning left for kawakawa and the first left corner.. but meh, maybe u wernt to descript.

bikerboy
25th June 2003, 17:03
This just goes to show why eyewitnesses are often of little use, such variation.:o
I was in the second group taking off after crossing the road and while I saw CK walking by I couldn't here him over the bike's exhaust and wearing the helmet. However, I was riding fairly slowly as everyone took off as I don't know that road and was a bit nervous in such a large group.
I remember going slowly for ages while several past me, then just as I was starting to get going( 70kph max), Nhuan went past and just as he was crossing back I saw the gravel and really got scared as it was on a curve and no signs were seen. If there were two signs, the first one was miles before the gravel or I would never had sped up. As CK said they did drag the sign from the top of the hill, I saw them go by with it. That just doesn't make sense if there was already a sign.
Also after the event I was going to go home so rode back to the gas station but turned around as I remembered I told CK and AFFman I would meet them. I saw the sign that was moved to the culvert/bridge but I did not see any others going back and then past again.:argh:

Coldkiwi
26th June 2003, 18:03
IS THAT what took you so bloody long to catch up to us!? We were waiting at Kaiaua for blimmin ages and were close to turning round to find out where you'd binned it when you finally showed!:D

the mystery is revealed...:cool:

Kwaka-Kid
26th June 2003, 19:37
hey i was first to catch up with you guys :) and i spent a good 20mins @ the scene twiddling my fingures trying to find somthing to help with, lol. :p but nah, i am just a slow rider with a comparitivly slow bike who had just seen somthing hed never thought really happen to real people infront of you in real life :confused:

but i got there and passed the message on safely, and i still remember riding to paeroa with SPman on his YZF750 and Bluninja - another example of my slowness :P i was trying damn near my hardest to keep up with you two, and it was so hard going like half as slow as u guys around the corners as it made me think "maybe" my bike could do that too, should i try? damn i just saw a dude come off, dont wanna do it that bad, do i? so many questions :p not enough skill to provide answers :)

but it was a great ride from memory despite the crash and my speedo cable breaking (hah but only like $18 new thanks mike@mteden)

bikerboy
26th June 2003, 22:25
:Oops: I knew you'd catch that CK if I explained the reason for my certainess regarding the sign situation!

Nothing gets past you. :D

Coldkiwi
27th June 2003, 12:25
hehe,

that's ok... I was just really getting worried that you were just going to ride like a nanna for the rest of the day if you kept at that sort of a 'crawl' having taken so long!!!:done:

Kwaka-Kid
27th June 2003, 19:47
Replace "nana" with "KK"

and hey, its still fun :)

SPman
27th June 2003, 22:27
Originally posted by Kwaka-Kid
and i still remember riding to paeroa with SPman on his YZF750 and Bluninja - another example of my slowness :P i was trying damn near my hardest to keep up with you two, 

I thought you werent doing to bad, considering the (alleged) state of your bike - mind you we were just cruising....

Kwaka-Kid
28th June 2003, 00:47
hha exactly :P

but that (alleged) was not called for, you saw the bike for yourself, and hte oil dripping off onto my legs and boot, and unfortunatly i aint fast enuf to get head of you, but if iwas, you would have seen the coulds of smoke on the over-run that bike was puffing, valve guide seals methinks.  No problems now, Because its all somebody elses Problem :niceone:

all good, and who remembers my slip in/slip out washer-in-the-exhaust thing? haha i took the muffler of and all :) i reckon that was the greatest system:p