PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting windshield/visor

Macstar
27th March 2007, 12:53
Hey all. I've tried sanding back my windshield and spray painting with an over the counter silver enamel paint, it looked pretty good actually until I touched it... the paint scrapes away too easily. I didn't rush the job and applied 4 coates over 36 hours and made sure the screen was clean and dry before aplying first coat etc.

Would a clear coat protect the end finish? Is there something about the plastic in wind shields that doesn't allow paint to stick? Any insights most welcomed.

Thanks

GO TO POST 6 OF THIS FORUM TO SEE THE OUTCOME AND POST 14 FOR A PHOTO

Disco Dan
27th March 2007, 12:57
You need to use a plastic primer before your top coat. The plastic primer is designed to stick to the plastic, even when it bends etc. Clean the plastic with a diluted solution of dishwashing liquid and then using a clean cloth, wipe over the dried plastic with meths. Primer using you plastic primer and leave it over night before applying the next coat...

Ive had success with using the plastic primer like that, others may disagree though!

Macktheknife
27th March 2007, 12:57
Usually any paint that will stick to them also melts them.

The Pastor
27th March 2007, 13:37
yeah get a primer dude. if ur on the shore go to wairau paint.

Dodgyiti
27th March 2007, 21:47
You need to use a plastic primer before your top coat. The plastic primer is designed to stick to the plastic, even when it bends etc. Clean the plastic with a diluted solution of dishwashing liquid and then using a clean cloth, wipe over the dried plastic with meths. Primer using you plastic primer and leave it over night before applying the next coat...

Ive had success with using the plastic primer like that, others may disagree though!

I'd agree with that, and further; make sure the top coat is compatible or a coat of general primer/filler primer over the plastic etch primer. That will give enough depth to wet sand a very smooth surface for the top coat.
I painted a polyurethane flyscreen and it took a few tries before a good result was obtained. Hang in there and post a pic when it's back on the bike eh?

Macstar
28th March 2007, 17:14
Update:

BAD NEWS

I rang Wairau Paint and they were very helpful, but sell by the litre. Total paint products would have cost $150+ and I don't have a compressor + spray gun. The over-the-counter enamel spray paints would have reacted badly with the clear coat finish, so had to get proper silver paint too which bumped up the cost considerably. Conclusion: Unless you have the tools and the contacts don't try a professional finish. Don't even bother trying to just spray on an over-the-counter spary paint cause it will look like shit and never work.

GOOD NEWS

Plan B was getting a silver metallic vinyal from a sign writer. These are guaranted for 2-5 years. Chrome was too risky for such a curved surface as a windshield (chrome vinyal doesn't stretch or flex), so opted for a semi-metallic blend which matched silver parts of my bike. Rang three shops: Quotes ranged from $50 -250. Conclusion: Dropped off my windshield to Signs Unlimited in Onehunga, Akl (www.signsunlimited.co.nz) and for $50 they're going to line the inside of the screen in black vinyal, the outside in silver metallic and give me the off cuts for me to experiement with (I want to make some flames). Problem solved, way way easier and much cheaper.

Will the vinyal look as good as a proper paint? I'll let you guys be the judge in a few days when I pick it up and post some photos on KB. (Probably not, but I'm hoping not far from).

P.S. Don't count on ringing up and also getting the $50 deal - I pulled the "poor student", but these guys are very very cheap. Cirrum who works there is also a motorcycle owner - suggest you ask for him.

P.P.S. Have to share one other wicked deal I got:

Jason from Motostyle (45 Mt Eden Rd Ph: 377-0651). He's selling and installing 2 braided Hel lines for my front callipers with all fittings and double bolt for $170. ANYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING UPGRADING TO BRAIDED BRAKE LINES, LOOK NO FURTHER. I rang four shops and prices averaged from $220-250 without installation. His lines are WOF'able, come in a range of colours and made of stainless.

Go forwarth my KB brothers and sisters and save.....!!!

Dodgyiti
29th March 2007, 17:24
Well done on the price battle. Yes it is expensive buying proper paints. I have the compressor, Devillebiss gravity feed gun and different tips and end caps, touch up gun and Aztek airbrush. Total cost if I was not such a bargin hunter- $2300. Even with all the gear, to paint a 2 tone and clear over for one of my bikes was $220
So you have learned it is not a cheap exercise to repaint bikes eh? But satisfying when you do get it right. All the gear I have got over the years will last a lifetime, but it is still much easier to pay a pro to do it, for what it all owes me -I would have to paint about 10 bikes to see any saving, ah well, 5 to go then :yes:

Now, the Hel lines have the DOT4 stamped on them I assume?
Damn good price, and going by an add I saw in a bike mag, they come in 5 or 6 colors too?
I might get some if I can get 'Brembo' gold ones.

imdying
30th March 2007, 09:33
Now, the Hel lines have the DOT4 stamped on them I assume?DOT 4 isn't a specification for brake lines, no brake lines will have that stamped in them. Not that it matters, having specs stamped into the hoses is no longer (since early this month) a legal requirement for braided lines on motorcycles in New Zealand.

Krusti
30th March 2007, 09:52
DOT 4 isn't a specification for brake lines, no brake lines will have that stamped in them. Not that it matters, having specs stamped into the hoses is no longer (since early this month) a legal requirement for braided lines on motorcycles in New Zealand.

What is the legal requirement?

imdying
30th March 2007, 11:03
What is the legal requirement?

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/certifiers/virm-in-service/motorcycles-08-v3.pdf

18. A flexible hydraulic brake hose (including connections):
a) is leaking brake fluid, or
b) is insecure, or
c) bulges under pressure, or
d) is twisted, stretched, chafed or
e) external sheathing is cracked to the extent that the reinforcing cords are exposed, or
f ) has metal connections that are excessively corroded, or
g) has an end fitting that is not attached to the hose by means of swaging, machine crimping or a similar process (Note 6).

Note 6 Hose end fittings that can be undone using hand tools are unacceptable.

Dodgyiti
30th March 2007, 20:24
DAMNIT!

2 years ago I threw out (well, gave to KwakaKid) these perfet shiny stainless lines because they would not WOF me bike, then I spent $230 on these dull plastic coated SS lines because of 'the stamp'

Gutted

imdying
31st March 2007, 10:41
There was bit of tooing and froing over it. Personally, I think they should've kept with the last requirement, which was numbers are required. However, crimped ends only is a pretty good compromise... it'll still get rid of the unsuitable rubbish.

Macstar
31st March 2007, 12:44
Well done on the price battle. Yes it is expensive buying proper paints. I have the compressor, Devillebiss gravity feed gun and different tips and end caps, touch up gun and Aztek airbrush. Total cost if I was not such a bargin hunter- $2300. Even with all the gear, to paint a 2 tone and clear over for one of my bikes was $220
So you have learned it is not a cheap exercise to repaint bikes eh? But satisfying when you do get it right. All the gear I have got over the years will last a lifetime, but it is still much easier to pay a pro to do it, for what it all owes me -I would have to paint about 10 bikes to see any saving, ah well, 5 to go then :yes:

Now, the Hel lines have the DOT4 stamped on them I assume?
Damn good price, and going by an add I saw in a bike mag, they come in 5 or 6 colors too?
I might get some if I can get 'Brembo' gold ones.

The tank looks awesome. If applicable, I can imagine the wifey asking when the weatherboards in the background are going to be painted! The Hel brake lines have an individual serial number attached at the bottom and a certification tag (FMVSS-106). I was given a piece of paper with them that I am supposed to take to my next WOF, it says:

They comply with the world standard (FMVSS-106), and have been assembled, tested and certified in NZ. It also says these Hel lines are recognised by the LTSA for on-road use without the requirements for a Low Volume Certificate...

So, I think the bases are covered and Motostyle has done a fare few of these now and has 100% guaranteed they are legal.

Macstar
31st March 2007, 16:56
There ya go guys: the promised snap shots of the wind shield, oh and the other silver bits on my RF. Considering I've spent less than $100 on new decals and paint work, I'm pretty happy with the finished look. The Chrome Suzuki S turned a few heads on my first motorway ride today - it really stands out.

Next project: It would be cool to maybe customise a LED front light and indicator set from a scooter and slap that on the front... Anyone done something similar before?

Dodgyiti
31st March 2007, 17:44
Heeey! Thats cool, not only looks smarter- but at least 15kmh faster standing still.
Ditching the yellow works a treat. (:shutup: Not that I can talk about :sick: yellow:sick: bikes:shutup: )

When some people decide to change the paint work it quite often devalues a modern bike, but I would pay more for the 'new' look one. And you were a smart cookie and took before pictures so the prospective new owner can see it was not painted because of a drop, which always springs to my mind when I see a modern bike for sale repainted.
Well done.

Yeah my full (and I mean FULL) resto on the MK1 Lemans is a very special thing.
I will do a full write up in about 5 weeks when it's done. Just the engine is becoming quite an ordeal.:mellow:

vagrant
31st March 2007, 22:39
I like what you have done.
It looks very smart and clean. ie, not overdone.
The "S" is pretty cool too.