PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the motorcycles!

peasea
27th March 2007, 22:55
This won't take long:

Since subscribing to this website I have formed the opinion (humble as it may be) that the balance of content is about 70/30. The 30 being valuable input, relevant and helpful information. The remaining 70 being personal attacks, gossip and (probably) alcohol/drug-induced blatherings.

I can interact with this sort of rubbish on Coronation Street, but I have drying paint that needs monitoring.

Some members appear to be online all the time, apparently with little else to do; (I am on leave and for curiosty's sake am taking notes) which tells me that they probably aren't spending enough time with their motorcycle. Part of the deal is that you are either on your bike, looking after it or looking for ways to take care of it (and yourself), perhaps online.

Some lines in the forums are funny, some jokes very much so, but this site is so full of non-biker bullshit I'm almost ashamed to be a part of it. (Sound like Parliament?) You can mock me if you like, for trying to get back to the bikes, but seriously, has anyone else out there got just a teeny-weeny bit tired of the space-wasters?

Please, use this thread for constructive criticism, bike/gear/performance/safety/accommodation tips and a common sense approach.

Please..................

Don't forget the motorcycles.

The Pastor
27th March 2007, 23:02
get ur bitch ass back in the kitchen

James Deuce
27th March 2007, 23:02
What constitutes a space waster?

People talking shit is part of bikes.

If you don't like go start your own forum.

stify
27th March 2007, 23:06
anyone else out there just a teeny-weeny bit tired of the space-wasters?

well i'm a bit tired......and just wasted some space with this dribble

Dadpole
27th March 2007, 23:06
Some members appear to be online all the time, apparently with little else to do; (I am on leave and for curiosty's sake am taking notes)

Oh shite!!! I better get out more. :scooter:

Motu
27th March 2007, 23:07
This site was nothing until they started forums where you could talk about things other than sportsbikes.See if you can find the very start of this site - it was crap.But talking crap has expanded it to it's present state.

Some members appear to be online all the time, with little else to do; (I am on leave and for curiosty's sake am taking notes) which tells me that they probably aren't spending enough time with their motorcycle. Part of the deal is that you are either on your bike, looking after it or looking for ways to take care of it (and yourself), perhaps online.

That's probably me... I'm in a job at the moment where I only work when there's work to do, so I have small snippets of maybe five minutes that I have nothing to do other than read (and post) on KB.

Some lines in the forums are funny, some jokes very much so, but this site is so full of non-biker bullshit I'm almost ashamed to be a part of it.

Nobody is saying you have to be a part of it, hit the exit button and you're gone, don't even need to take the pill neo.

From my personal perspective, yes this website was no doubt started with the aim of discussing motorcycle mechanics and gear etc... but if that's all it was I'm sure I'd be gone by now, and many of the friendships and relationships that have been forged as a direct result of KB would no longer exist.

If I were to start a thread today on what people thought of, for instance, HJC helmets, I could gaurantee you there'd quickly be a whole host of informative and unique views, so your argument about the site not being about bikes and gear doesn't hold water... from what I can see about your predicted 70/30 split, as far as I can tell if this site was only about bikes, it'd just be 70% smaller, and I'd have to look elsewhere for people that I can not only talk to about bikes and riding, but also to have a laugh with about other stuff as well.

So in closing (cos this feels like an essay), yes there's a lot of non-bike related stuff on here, but frankly, what's wrong with that?

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:09
Well, I can see where you're coming from, but come on; there's too much b/s isn't there?

Ixion
27th March 2007, 23:09
Motorcycles? I should hope not. Nasty dangerous noisey contraptions. Death traps that's all they are, and the idiots riding them need to all have their licences taken off them. Certainly don't want any discussion about those things. Sooner the young hoons grow up the better, they don't need any encouragement.

onearmedbandit
27th March 2007, 23:12
If you`re almost ashamed of being a part of it, then you don`t have to put up with that. No one forces you to be here, so don`t feel obliged to stay here. Go to any pub with bikers, go for a ride with bikers, go around to some bikers house and I`m almost certain you`ll find the same ratio, bikers talk shit, bike related or not. So either ignore it or fuck off. The choice is.....yours.

Drum
27th March 2007, 23:12
If this site is only 70% bullshit then it's a helluva lot better than the rest of the 'Net!!

Well, I can see where you're coming from, but come on; there's too much b/s isn't there?

Well that really depends on your viewpoint doesn't it, I realise that sometimes the B/S can turn people off, and that's regrettable, but when you go to the pub do you sit around and tell people they can't deviate from the topic at hand?

Evolution is a natural thing, and I have respect for SpankMe in that he's started a site such as this and just let it grow into what it now is. I have no doubt that if you came back to this site in a year or two (assuming it's still here) it will have changed again, perhaps trending back to the tech, perhaps not.

If it's something you're worried about, then I think perhaps you're the one that needs to get out more eh :whocares:

TerminalAddict
27th March 2007, 23:21
This site was nothing until they started forums where you could talk about things other than sportsbikes.See if you can find the very start of this site - it was crap.But talking crap has expanded it to it's present state.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040311223259/http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/

or even older (front page only)
http://web.archive.org/web/20030423153046/http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:24
That put a cracker up your arse didn't it? I seriously didn't think anyone would bother to read my post, but there you go.

I'll stand up and be mocked. You go for it! I am, however, going to take your constructive comments on board. If we didn't talk shit we'd go nowhere. Quite right, thank you again.

Now, what about my incontinent FXR? Don't tell me I need to read that book again?

That put a cracker up your arse didn't it? I seriously didn't think anyone would bother to read my post, but there you go.

And here we have the essence of KB, there's always someone to answer your post.

Now, what about my incontinent FXR? Don't tell me I need to read that book again?

My suggestion, get a better bike... but then my tech knowledge is low.

onearmedbandit
27th March 2007, 23:27
Not just adding to the b/s are you?

gijoe1313
27th March 2007, 23:30
And there was this one time at band camp....

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:30
If this site is only 70% bullshit then it's a helluva lot better than the rest of the 'Net!!

I see your point: It's just a shame.

(I think I'll go and hang the washing out in the acid rain, pour insecticides on the vege's and start the family barbie with my niotro-buring Hemi.)

Fine, the 'Net is full of crap, does that mean KB has to follow suit?

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:36
My suggestion, get a better bike... but then my tech knowledge is low.[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry, I don't recall bagging your bike.

I'm sorry, I don't recall bagging your bike.

Perhaps I should be clearer, get a better FXR then.

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:40
And there was this one time at band camp....

Okay, sorry for the integrity, it'll never happen again...I just thought....oh crap, fooled again....

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:41
Perhaps I should be clearer, get a better FXR then.

This a very interesting site. So much to blather, so little time.

Fatjim
27th March 2007, 23:44
The FXR is immune to criticism, just like a retarded child, or the homosexual law reform bill.

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:51
Not just adding to the b/s are you?

Yeah, probably, what about you? Apparently it's what we do. Unless we're riding our bikes, working on our bikes or looking at our bikes. Otherwise it'd be drinking piss, taking drugs and chasing women. It's the lesser of the evils. And undoubtely the least expensive.

How's the garden?

Kendog
27th March 2007, 23:53
Since subscribing to this website I have formed the opinion (humble as it may be) that the balance of content is about 70/30. The 30 being valuable input, relevant and helpful information. The remaining 70 being personal attacks, gossip and (probably) alcohol/drug-induced blatherings.

Don't most real world bike gatherings follow the same 70/30 rule, why should this site be any different?

The beauty here is you can quickly ignore what you deem to be crap and move on.

Some members appear to be online all the time, apparently with little else to do; (I am on leave and for curiosty's sake am taking notes) which tells me that they probably aren't spending enough time with their motorcycle. Part of the deal is that you are either on your bike, looking after it or looking for ways to take care of it (and yourself), perhaps online.

If you can have KB running at work why not, I would if I could. After work when not riding why not have KB running as well, no harm there.

Ixion
27th March 2007, 23:54
Much more important than a few threads that don't mention those nasty dangerous murdercycles, is the disgraceful fact that of all the posts on this site, only 8152 mention beer! This is an appalling state of affairs, there are ENTIRE THREADS where beer is not mentioned at all

DON'T FORGET THE BEER.

peasea
27th March 2007, 23:57
Don't most real world bike gatherings follow the same 70/30 rule, why should this site be any different?

The beauty here is you can quickly ignore what you deem to be crap and move on.

If you can have KB running at work why not, I would if I could. After work when not riding why not have KB running as well, no harm there.

Yup, quite right. I'm learning....fast.....

Disco Dan
28th March 2007, 00:07
Yes the bikes are often forgotten about... bitching is rife.. ego's are fought over to the death. Bikers have the biggest egos... :yes:

yeah I guess I spend too much time on here, but its something to do in-between classes, spare moments at home and when im waiting in line at shops or takeaways etc, it's something to pass the time.

Bring on the bitching... :yes: especially so when so many people seem to enjoy a good bitch fight on here!!

peasea
28th March 2007, 00:14
Yes the bikes are often forgotten about... bitching is rife.. ego's are fought over to the death. Bikers have the biggest egos... :yes:

Oops, I'd forgotten that; my bad.

peasea
28th March 2007, 00:19
Much more important than a few threads that don't mention those nasty dangerous murdercycles, is the disgraceful fact that of all the posts on this site, only 8152 mention beer! This is an appalling state of affairs, there are ENTIRE THREADS where beer is not mentioned at all

DON'T FORGET THE BEER.

Such patience is required here;

Beer; rubbish
Jim Beam: not rubbish

"Your honour, members of the jury?"

peasea
28th March 2007, 00:25
Beer; rubbish

I can see how you can get off the subject of motorcycles so easily. Seen Osama lately?

peasea
28th March 2007, 00:27
That's probably me... I'm in a job at the moment where I only work when there's work to do, so I have small snippets of maybe five minutes that I have nothing to do other than read (and post) on KB.

Not a copper are you?

Steam
28th March 2007, 05:52
I like it how it is, when I want amusement and laughs I go to Rant and Rave, when I have a problem with the coils on my bike I go to General Maintenance.
If you don't click on Rant and Rave or Pointless Drivel, you don't even see those other posts.

Edbear
28th March 2007, 07:04
there's too much b/s isn't there?

Bit like real life, really....:sunny: But then we all know, KB's not real...:innocent:

yungatart
28th March 2007, 08:27
Since the norm is 80/20, it would seem that we are better than your average joe....but we all knew that anyway!

Crisis management
28th March 2007, 08:36
Well I'm impressed troops, from a thread that started off pretentious and hectoring to degenerating into an arqument over beer in one swift evening......

Not quite a KB record but not bad.

Ixion, there was no mention of green stamps or gaiters, I'm disapointed.

Peasoup or whatever, almost a zero score for perserverance :third:

Hitcher
28th March 2007, 08:40
Please, use this thread for constructive criticism, bike/gear/performance/safety/accommodation tips and a common sense approach.

Does anybody remember Sam The Eagle from The Muppet Show? Reading this, I am reminded of Sam.

Mully
28th March 2007, 08:47
Does anybody remember Sam The Eagle from The Muppet Show? Reading this, I am reminded of Sam.

Bwahahahahahaha!!! Exactly.

Hang on, I'll call a Whhhhaaaambulance

Not a copper are you?

No mate, something much much worse...

MSTRS
28th March 2007, 09:58

Indeed. When we all know that our favourite was....Animal.
Peasea - you are looking for constructive suggestions that are bike related? Try a nappy on your bike.

Drum
28th March 2007, 12:11
To ensure that the quality and moral content of this show is beyond reproach, I, Sam the *American* eagle am proud to present the singing duet of Wayne and Wanda. Besides being tremendous singers, they're church people

mstriumph
28th March 2007, 12:55
This won't take long:

Since subscribing to this website I have formed the opinion (humble as it may be) that the balance of content is about 70/30. The 30 being valuable input, relevant and helpful information. The remaining 70 being personal attacks, gossip and (probably) alcohol/drug-induced blatherings.........................

This won't take long either:

here we have progressed from being a forum

We are now a family

...with ALL that 'being a family' entails [valuable input, slanging matches, gossip, sympathy/support and the occassional inebriated rambling included ]

here you can join in with any conversation you like and avoid the ones you find trivial or distasteful - and so can everyone else ..... because here there is no 'should' or 'must' or 'can't' ... the tribal elders [moderators and admin] wield their power lightly and tolerance is the watchword

tolerance, peasea

...... and that peculiar brand of antipodean family humour that permits us to call each other bastards and bag each others' rides without it coming to wounded feelings and fisticuffs

i, for one, treasure this space and the diverse conglomeration of saints and reprobates in it......... hang around a while and you may come to do the same

:done:

Macktheknife
28th March 2007, 12:59
Due to my currently incapacitated state I am unable to ride, work, exercise, or most other interesting and enjoyable things. That leaves me an enormous amount of time to sift through the wondrous crap that we get on KB, without that my life would truly be empty, so please don't fuck with one of the few things I have left to entertain myself. Thank you for your time.

idb
28th March 2007, 13:05
I understand your sentiment peasea, but you were always going to take a hammering by expressing it............which is why I have no opinion on the matter...............

peasea
28th March 2007, 16:23
As I stated earlier, I am learning....and fast. I'm also getting a lot of laughs from the responses. I just wish I had as much time as some of you seem to have. Good on ya people, I'm off to buy some Huggies.

MSTRS
28th March 2007, 16:37
...... and that peculiar brand of antipodean family humour that permits us to call each other bastards and bag each others' rides without it coming to wounded feelings and fisticuffs

I wouldn't dream of calling you a bastard, dear one. I'm sure you knew both your parents.
Oh...and when are you getting a proper bike?

As I stated earlier, I am learning....and fast.... I'm off to buy some Huggies.

Good lad...

Lucy
29th March 2007, 04:35
Such patience is required here;

Beer; rubbish

"Your honour, members of the jury?"

Do you hate beer 'cos it rhymes with ear?

peasea
29th March 2007, 12:32
Do you hate beer 'cos it rhymes with ear?

Where did I say "I hate beer"? I just said it was rubbish. Generally speaking I drink to get drunk, not to get fat, so bourbon is far superior in those respects. Nobody forces you read these threads; give you a race back to the kitchen.

avgas
29th March 2007, 12:51
New Zealand......land of the long brown bullsh.....
Hey is this bullshit too?
Now im mildly confused......case of being the 1 u hate

Lucy
29th March 2007, 13:32
Nobody forces you read these threads; give you a race back to the kitchen.

Hello Kettle? Yeah this is the Pot. You're black.

peasea
29th March 2007, 19:16
Hello Kettle? Yeah this is the Pot. You're black.

Darn, I can't even take the piss out of myself!

Dodgyiti
29th March 2007, 19:40
You just have to sift through all the dribble and there is still good stuff here.
The old link to the front page was a reminder that back then there was still a heap of info and bike chat, there still is, but like the rest of the interweb there is a lot of padding.

kneescraper
29th March 2007, 19:41
Mate, I think you have dug your self one hell of a hole...BTW your post that started all of this wasnt really on a topic of motorcycles so it could be considered "B/S".

Wheres Dover when you need him, his comments are always out of context and nasty...just how we like them!

SPman
29th March 2007, 20:07
Too much bullshit on KB?

Naaah!

You're dreamin'

Toaster
29th March 2007, 20:13
As I stated earlier, I am learning....and fast. I'm also getting a lot of laughs from the responses. I just wish I had as much time as some of you seem to have. Good on ya people, I'm off to buy some Huggies.

Exactly, it is a great place for a few laughs on a quiet night at home. Beer in one hand, nuts in the other. :gob:

Maha
29th March 2007, 22:02
Exactly, it is a great place for a few laughs on a quiet night at home. Beer in one hand, nuts in the other. :gob:

And what male on KB hasn't done that before.....:rockon:

Lucy
30th March 2007, 02:32
And what male on KB hasn't done that before.....:rockon:

Ahem, you don't actually have to be a male to do that.....

miSTa
30th March 2007, 07:04
Bit like real life, really....:sunny: But then we all know, KB's not real...:innocent:
:gob: KB's not real? Fuck! What am I going to do now? My illusion has been shattered...thanks mate. :D

I understand your sentiment peasea, but you were always going to take a hammering by expressing it............which is why I have no opinion on the matter...............
Since when have you had no opinion, very unlike you...IMHO.

peasea, how many conversations have you been in where the topic hasn't changed? A verbal conversation changes why should a written conversation be any different?

judecatmad
30th March 2007, 07:31

LOL, that's about right!

Got a PS2 Muppets game and Sam pops up every so often. You SO don't want to get collared by him cos you spend an eternity being lectured on whatever brain fart he's most recently had.

.....oops, that wasn't about bikes at all was it? :shit:

Oh man, I just remembered, I don't even HAVE a bike at the moment. Damn....could a mod disable my logon, please?

:rofl:

Edbear
30th March 2007, 07:40
My illusion has been shattered...thanks mate. :D

Oops! Sorry...:shutup:

KATWYN
30th March 2007, 08:04

Look see....you have 130 posts and you have received some green reps from
others already. (? at least I think thats what the little green square thingies are - on the top right hand side)

Just wait till you start getting red reps.......then the fun really begins in here.....:sunny:

...now i'm just off to work.... on my motorbike too

scracha
30th March 2007, 10:08
Some lines in the forums are funny, some jokes very much so, but this site is so full of non-biker bullshit I'm almost ashamed to be a part of it. (Sound like Parliament?) You can mock me if you like, for trying to get back to the bikes, but seriously, has anyone else out there got just a teeny-weeny bit tired of the space-wasters?

Oh come on. It'd be a boring forum if we ONLY talked about motorcyclists. Are you one of these boring motorcyclists I meet down the pub that can only talk about motorcycles and nothing else? Personally I find that really boring. There's only so much that can be said about helmets, knee sliders, gravel roads and how much horsepower my bike kicks out.

When I'm sat in a pub with other bikers and find they can't talk about anything else I'm almost ashamed to be part of it (sound like Parliament)? You can mock me if you like for trying to get back to the real world, but seriously, has anyone else out there got just a teeny-weeny bit tired of motorcycle anoraks?

Don't forget the real world.