PDA

View Full Version : Howdy From Texas.

SpeedyBoy
28th March 2007, 08:13
Howdy Ya'll,

Names Sam, currently on work detail in Texas USA. I ride a 2002 SV650S, relatively heavily modified for my own satisfaction. Thought I'd drop ya'll a line and say hi... I'll be heading back to NZ within the next 12 months and will be keen to ride some twisties upon my return... it's been a long 3 years.

I'm off to the National SV Rally in June this year (my 2nd attendence) held at "Deal's Gap", also known as "The Tail Of The Dragon", it's 318 curves in 11 miles... check out www.tailofthedragon.com to find out more... best public road I've ever riden.

Anyway just thought I'd say hi. :Punk:
Sam.

merv
28th March 2007, 08:18
Howdy in return - looks like a good road alright.

Grub
28th March 2007, 08:35
Well Sam, if you're coming to Welly we'll just have to introduce you to Paekakariki Hill Rd (if you don't know it already)

It is 6.9 miles and 157 true corners (bike must go vertical between)

Not quite as intensive but one of

Macktheknife
28th March 2007, 18:19
Or perhaps you would prefer the Coromandel loop, I recently hosted a guy from Seattle who has ridden the drgon and reckoned that Coro eats it completely.
Welcome to KB anyway, what exactly is a 'work detail' where you are? Over here it is normally associated with prison or sometimes military.

SpeedyBoy
29th March 2007, 00:51
...what exactly is a 'work detail' where you are?

I am writing software for the RNZAF P3k-Orion Aricraft. I'm a contractor on the program.

It's not a prison detail - sorry, they haven't 'caught' me yet. :sweatdrop

Macktheknife
29th March 2007, 09:57
It's not a prison detail - sorry, they haven't 'caught' me yet. :sweatdrop

Only a matter of time mate! lol

hondav2
29th June 2007, 16:55
Howdy Ya'll,

Names Sam, currently on work detail in Texas USA. I ride a 2002 SV650S, relatively heavily modified for my own satisfaction. Thought I'd drop ya'll a line and say hi... I'll be heading back to NZ within the next 12 months and will be keen to ride some twisties upon my return... it's been a long 3 years.

I'm off to the National SV Rally in June this year (my 2nd attendence) held at "Deal's Gap", also known as "The Tail Of The Dragon", it's 318 curves in 11 miles... check out www.tailofthedragon.com to find out more... best public road I've ever riden.

Anyway just thought I'd say hi. :Punk:
Sam.

Hi Sam , are you from Te Anau originally. I have rode the tail of the dragon, There is on average 6 bikes written off a day and 2 guys were killed in 2 weeks there. Real buzz aye. Some of them cant ride is the problem, I was on my DR650 loaded with luggage and a young guy on a new GSXR600 couldnt get away from me and his mate on a new Daytona couldnt catch us. Rode it 3 times . I stayed at the Ironhorse M/c Campground and went to the Horisions Unlimited meeting. Cheers Toddy

98tls
29th June 2007, 17:08
Hi sam........have you checked out TLZONE.NET some real nice SVs on there...great site

kevfromcoro
29th June 2007, 18:02
Or perhaps you would prefer the Coromandel loop, I recently hosted a guy from Seattle who has ridden the drgon and reckoned that Coro eats it completely.
Welcome to KB anyway, what exactly is a 'work detail' where you are? Over here it is normally associated with prison or sometimes military.

onya mate..if u get down to coromandel ..pm me....i live down here and know every nook and Granny.....wohooo all the way from TEXAS......

ManDownUnder
29th June 2007, 18:05
Welcome!

Where in TX are you? I get up to Houston semi regular, Austin on the odd occasion (w/e off etc while in town) Greune, and San Antonio.

Something I'm trying to find is anyone that rents japanese bikes up that way. Got any suggestions?

Cheers!
MDU

Waylander
29th June 2007, 20:43
All the way from Texas indeed lol.

Former Dallas Native here mate. I'll certainly recomend the Coromandel loop over The Dragon. So long as you stay way from the west coast. Too many small towns and traffic. Wich is a shame cause that side has some great corners.

kevfromcoro
29th June 2007, 20:53
hi waylander..west coast is ok.....few towns ,,,but i know where they all are... just gets a bit tight about 20 ks out of thames,...want to do the westpac run next year.....c if i can get the right month this time....lol KEVTHEKIWI

kiwifruit
29th June 2007, 20:59
Howdy :)
That looks like a niiice piece of road there

Waylander
29th June 2007, 21:07
hi waylander..west coast is ok.....few towns ,,,but i know where they all are... just gets a bit tight about 20 ks out of thames,...want to do the westpac run next year.....c if i can get the right month this time....lol KEVTHEKIWI
Every tiem I've gone up the west coast it's been full of traffic all driving 20k below speed limit and dumbfucks pulling out of side roads without checking.

scumdog
29th June 2007, 21:15

Former Dallas Native here mate. I'll certainly recomend the Coromandel loop over The Dragon. So long as you stay way from the west coast. Too many small towns and traffic. Wich is a shame cause that side has some great corners.

Fuggoff, there's no Dallas in Canada that I know of!!:dodge:

Waylander
29th June 2007, 21:17
Put your glasses on old man, then you might actually be able to see the map.

scumdog
29th June 2007, 21:20
Put your glasses on old man, then you might actually be able to see the map.

Hah! Caught you - you ARE from Canada!!!

kevfromcoro
29th June 2007, 21:22
dunno iam from coromandell.....where the the men are men and the sheep are nervious.....

Waylander
29th June 2007, 21:24
Hah! Caught you - you ARE from Canada!!!
Might also help if you point the North arrow on the compass up.

Mom
29th June 2007, 21:29

Shhhhhh Mack......this is a new friend in the making, dont ask about prison stuff now......:shit:

i live down here and know every nook and Granny.....wohooo all the way from TEXAS......

have you got 7 fingers by any chance:mellow:

Welcome!

(w/e off etc while in town) Cheers!
MDU

Dodgy stuff mate...........offering your time on a w/e off to a virtual stranger......:shutup:

Nah this guy Waylander is no Cannuck! I tried the secret handshake on him and he freaked!:yes:

ManDownUnder
29th June 2007, 21:43
Dodgy stuff mate...........offering your time on a w/e off to a virtual stranger......:shutup:

LOL na na na... I know a good number of Texans. Some of them I hold closer than nearly anyone here on KB (I kid you not). As a generalisation, they're GREAT people.

Bolivar Peninsular is a particular favourite area. Some people call them backwards, hicks, rednecks but.. those people simply haven't taken the time to meet and get to know them.

F'n AWESOME people.

Waylander
29th June 2007, 21:56
Nah this guy Waylander is no Cannuck! I tried the secret handshake on him and he freaked!:yes:

Hey I'm not used to married women trying to grab my nuts ok? And judging by Maha, I probably don't want to let you get ahold of them.

Mom
29th June 2007, 22:04
Hey I'm not used to married women trying to grab my nuts ok? And judging by Maha, I probably don't want to let you get ahold of them.

What are you on about?????? You liked that!!!

And what pray tell is the matter with my lovely man?

Remember I will see you tomorrow night you whipper snapper! :blip:

SARGE
29th June 2007, 22:38

you ride a Vmax .. what the hell do you know about corners other than

" i have to get off and push my bike around them..."

:dodge:

Waylander
30th June 2007, 00:01
you ride a Vmax .. what the hell do you know about corners other than

" i have to get off and push my bike around them..."

:dodge:
What do I know about corners? Lots of things. Some go left, others go to the right. Both very tricky when wet and covered in desiel.

SpeedyBoy
30th June 2007, 01:17
Wow... plant a seed and let it grow come back in a couple of months and look at what we have here... efn classic...

Well I'm still looking at options for getting my bike home, seems to be a real pain in the a-hole... sea-freight is cheapest but takes of efn ever!! air-freight is running in around 1500 USD to AKL (looks like my best option at the moment)...
I'm also gonna need some help getting the head-lights to dip to the left, easiest might be to just replace the stock headlight a assembly, or are they all the same but adjustable - anyone know??

Went to The Dragon again this year, man it kicks ass... got some pix to:
The lookout over the Cherohalla Skyway:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07101.jpg
Me, ripping through the Cherohalla:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07148.jpg
Me and the boyz from Texas at The Overlook on The Dragon:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07214.jpg
Burnout:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07196.jpg
Group Rally Shot:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07186.jpg
Custom Bike line-up:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/SpeedyBoy_bucket/SV_Rally_07165.jpg

Schweet....

hondav2
30th June 2007, 15:10
[QUOTE=SpeedyBoy;1114712]Wow... plant a seed and let it grow come back in a couple of months and look at what we have here... efn classic...

Well I'm still looking at options for getting my bike home, seems to be a real pain in the a-hole... sea-freight is cheapest but takes of efn ever!! air-freight is running in around 1500 USD to AKL (looks like my best option at the moment)...
I'm also gonna need some help getting the head-lights to dip to the left, easiest might be to just replace the stock headlight a assembly, or are they all the same but adjustable - anyone know??

Went to The Dragon again this year, man it kicks ass... got some pix to:
The lookout over the Cherohalla Skyway:

I rode the Cherohalla as wellas the Dargon, The Dragon was the insane one , have a look at these pics http://www.toddy.smugmug.com/gallery/1591497#P-8-15 Cheers Toddy Did u read my previous thread ?

SpeedyBoy
3rd July 2007, 00:24
...I'm not from Te Anau, I was born in P.North and raised in Wellington...

sAsLEX
3rd July 2007, 05:29
Some people call them backwards, hicks, rednecks but.. those people simply haven't taken the time to meet and get to know them.

F'n AWESOME people.

yeah I watched the Top Gear episode when they went south, they seemed like real accommodating people if you where a white hetro male in to guns........

scumdog
3rd July 2007, 08:51
yeah I watched the Top Gear episode when they went south, they seemed like real accommodating people if you where a white hetro male in to guns........

You learned this from the same device that brings you Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Wiggles????

sAsLEX
3rd July 2007, 08:52
You learned this from the same device that brings you Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Wiggles????

Don't forget Barney!

http://pbskids.org/barney/children/storytime/images/bfriends/cover.jpg

SpeedyBoy
28th October 2007, 16:30
Well I've touched down and my bike has arrived... I'm just working on getting it registered. I'm not sure whether it'll be ready in time for this weekend - though that may or may not stop me coming along anyway.

Just wanted to post up and say hi - I don't actually know anyone in Auckland so I'm keen to get out a meet some fellow bikers, someone might be keen to show me some of the local routes.

Waylander
28th October 2007, 21:46
Welcome to the asscrack of the semi-civilized world.

That aught to get a few people pissed at me.:devil2: